The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Why are BBjudges biased towards short guys?

Hey guys, I was just thinking, the major bodybuilding comps like Arnold Classic and Mr olympia are always crowning guys who are so short over their taller counterparts. I mean look at Tony Freeman your telling me that Dexter Jackson looks better than him...give me a break he is 5'6 no matter what he'll never be a real monster, taking nothing away from him thats just life, i can see in the comps with weighclasses the short guy having an advantage fo obvious reasons..but this is america, and the vast majority of people look at height as a positive quality in a persons body, why not in bodybuilding?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by freakzilla09 View Post
    Hey guys, I was just thinking, the major bodybuilding comps like Arnold Classic and Mr olympia are always crowning guys who are so short over their taller counterparts. I mean look at Tony Freeman your telling me that Dexter Jackson looks better than him...give me a break he is 5'6 no matter what he'll never be a real monster, taking nothing away from him thats just life, i can see in the comps with weighclasses the short guy having an advantage fo obvious reasons..but this is america, and the vast majority of people look at height as a positive quality in a persons body, why not in bodybuilding?
    Dexter Jackson isn't a real monster? Uh... Have you seen him?

I don't look at height as a positive or a negative quality. I'm 5'8" and I hope that doesn't change people's view of me.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    but this is america, and the vast majority of people look at height as a positive quality in a persons body, why not in bodybuilding?
    Because if there are two guys who weigh the same but one is shorter, the shorter guy will look thicker.

Wannabebig Member
    im talking about comps like mr olympia,arnold classic, etc. i mean some o the guys that win are like 5'6 what a joke.. no offense to anyone that tall , i totally understand what you pointed out and included it in my post as "obvious reasons"

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Dexter Jackson isn't a real monster? Uh... Have you seen him?

I don't look at height as a positive or a negative quality. I'm 5'8" and I hope that doesn't change people's view of me.
    hes not a monster, standing next to tony freeman, or even 5'11 ronnie, cmon man 5'6 is too short to be crowned the alpha-male physique..I would bet my lie, dexter would swap physiques with freeman, ask freeman he would probably laugh. or i you put both o the in ront of 100 average guys and say who would you rather look like there all gonna say feeman.i mean height is a very positive quality its good or functional strentgh as opposed to weightliting strength, im almost 6'4 and if i had a choice to put on 10 pounds of muscle or be an inch taller id take the inch to be frank. .
    Last edited by freakzilla09; 12-10-2008 at 03:04 PM.

hes not a monster, standing next to tony freeman, or even 5'11 ronnie, cmon man 5'6 is too short to be crowned the alpha-male physique..I would bet my lie, dexter would swap physiques with freeman, ask freeman he would probably laugh. or i you put both o the in ront of 100 average guys and say who would you rather look like there all gonna say feeman.i mean height is a very positive quality its good or functional strentgh as opposed to weightliting strength, im almost 6'4 and if i had a choice to put on 10 pounds of muscle or be an inch taller id take the inch to be frank.
    SUPER DUPER!! Tall guys have won, plenty of guys around 5'11" have won and now a shorter guy won. Who gives a ****?
    Last edited by Sidior; 12-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

hes not a monster, standing next to tony freeman, or even 5'11 ronnie, cmon man 5'6 is too short to be crowned the alpha-male physique..I would bet my lie, dexter would swap physiques with freeman, ask freeman he would probably laugh. or i you put both o the in ront of 100 average guys and say who would you rather look like there all gonna say feeman.i mean height is a very positive quality its good or functional strentgh as opposed to weightliting strength, im almost 6'4 and if i had a choice to put on 10 pounds of muscle or be an inch taller id take the inch to be frank. .
    LOL! I had a feeling it was a really tall dude behind the keyboard on this one. Personally I think most guys your height look goofy and disproportionate. To look anywhere near as good as Dexter did this year you'd probably have to out weigh him by 100lbs or more.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

You can't blame Dexter for being short. He has no control over that. But, he does have control over his physique. Obviously he has done a great job and knows what he is doing. How can you say he shouldn't win for the fact of being short? That's pretty ridiculous. He has spent hard years in the gym just like every other contestant. Kind of discriminating here.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    LOL! I had a feeling it was a really tall dude behind the keyboard on this one. Personally I think most guys your height look goofy and disproportionate. To look anywhere near as good as Dexter did this year you'd probably have to out weigh him by 100lbs or more.

Lol thanks for the laugh :P

OP, its obvious you dont know how a body building contest is judged. If height is such a status symbol, hell, why not judge them based on how big their package is too? That would certainly up my chances of winning a contest to make up for my 5'7 "handicap".

Not to be mean, OP, but it makes me really glad youre not a judge.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Compared to a 5'8" guy, a 6 foot guy has to build more muscle mass because of the longer limbs and torso.
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF

12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetarian View Post
    Compared to a 5'8" guy, a 6 foot guy has to build more muscle mass because of the longer limbs and torso.
    Well yea but the dudes title is "why are BBjudges biased towards short guys?" With what hes been saying, hes the one who is clearly biased. Its sort of a hypocritical thread.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Dexter Jackson beats Tony Freeman because he is better than him, not because he is shorter. End of story.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Biased? Hmmm....Ronnie Coleman dominated the Olympia despite being tall by bbing standards. Jay Cutler came next and was also "tall". Victor Martinez and Wolfe are also "tall" and regular top 5 finishers. Ed Nunn just won Nationals as a "tall" guy. I think you are a bit confused.

With that said, it is easier for a 5'5 or 5'6 guy to fill out their frame. The 6 foot guys need to be pushing 300lbs. The shorter guys can be under 202 and still look pretty damn thick.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Well yea but the dudes title is "why are BBjudges biased towards short guys?" With what hes been saying, hes the one who is clearly biased. Its sort of a hypocritical thread.
    I read that wrong.
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF

12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Biased? Hmmm....Ronnie Coleman dominated the Olympia despite being tall by bbing standards. Jay Cutler came next and was also "tall". Victor Martinez and Wolfe are also "tall" and regular top 5 finishers. Ed Nunn just won Nationals as a "tall" guy. I think you are a bit confused.

With that said, it is easier for a 5'5 or 5'6 guy to fill out their frame. The 6 foot guys need to be pushing 300lbs. The shorter guys can be under 202 and still look pretty damn thick.
    Im 5'7", advantage:me

BTW, if they were biased to short guys, why did they just bring back the under 202 class in a lot of pro shows to give the short guys a chance to win?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Arnold was over six feet tall and won seven Mr. Olympias.
    It's got nothing to do with height per se...it's the "complete package "that they are judged on in terms of not just size, but conditioning, symmetry, posing ability, proportionate development, muscularity....
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 12-11-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Arnold was over six feet tall and won seven Mr. Olympias.
    It's got nothing to do with height per se...it's the "complete package "that they are judged on in terms of not just size, but conditioning, symmetry, posing ability, proportionate development, muscularity....
    But Arnold was Joe's boy and probably received close to half of those Olympia's as gifts.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-11-2008 at 05:48 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    But Arnold was Joe's boy and probably received close to half of those Olympia's as gifts.

Which only goes to prove my point. In large part it is politics that determines the winnner, not judges that are biased towards short guys.

Although exceptional physiques do indeed play a part. Look at Phil Heath. In his first ever Olympia he placed third. Dorian Yates placed second at his first. Neither of them is especially short.

And for a more recent example take Ronnie Coleman who is listed on most sites at 5'11" which is quite tall for a bodybuilder. Eight wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Which only goes to prove my point. In large part it is politics that determines the winnner, not judges that are biased towards short guys.

Although exceptional physiques do indeed play a part. Look at Phil Heath. In his first ever Olympia he placed third. Dorian Yates placed second at his first. Neither of them is especially short.

And for a more recent example take Ronnie Coleman who is listed on most sites at 5'11" which is quite tall for a bodybuilder. Eight wins.
    Right on. And Phil was pretty close to winning that show this year. I will put money on it if he makes a few improvements he will win the O next year.

Dennis Wolf is another newer guy who is tall, who most complain is receiving bais because he is tall. Some also said the same about Gunter.

Just get under the bar!