The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Starting Strength - Deadlift - Experiences

Hey there,

So for the first 17 workouts or so of doing the SS program I never felt the sweet pain from head to toe from the dead lift. Last week I upped the weight so I would really struggle on the last rep (225lbs). I did 2 sets of 5 as I forgot that only one was required. Well, for the next 2 days I was super sore from head to toe. My traps hurt pretty bad and surprisingly my stomach muscles were killing me. This was my Saturday workout.

Fast forward to Thursday for my mid-week workout. I jumped up to 235lbs for my single deadlift set. I figured I would be fine this week only doing one set and having gotten over the initial pain from last week. Well, think again. Today I am hurting pretty bad. My stomach muscles are very sore as are my legs, hips, and middle back. Of course my legs and hips are always sore/fatigued from squats.

It's pretty amazing to me how much my stomach is getting worked. No leg raises required this week.

Do you other guys using SS feel the same soreness after doing the day with deadlift? On my other workout days I don't get sore except for my last day of the week from squats.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

were you adding 5 lbs every workout like your supposed to do or did you just descide to add as much weight as you wanted...its important to keep with adding 5lbs everyworkout and not jump to 10lbs or else you will hit a road block sooner than you think...

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

You either don't eat+rest enough, or deadlift/clean often enough if you're still that sore 17 workouts into SS.

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    were you adding 5 lbs every workout like your supposed to do or did you just descide to add as much weight as you wanted...its important to keep with adding 5lbs everyworkout and not jump to 10lbs or else you will hit a road block sooner than you think...
    Well, I never said I hit a road block, I just said I was sore when lifting to the point of almost failing on my 5th rep. I believe Rippetoe said this is the way it should work , right. I will continue to add 5-10 lbs each dead lift.

I just wondered if others were as sore I as I was. No big deal!!

Welcome to deadlifting. A lot of people can get a bit sore for a day or two after if you are truly testing yourself every session. The only thing that will really help the soreness has been posted, sleep and food. If you're into supplements at all microlactin helps with the DOMS a bit too.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Wannabebig Member
    When I maxed out on SS doing deadlifts at 1x5 I think I was at 315. My stomach muscles never really came into play but I sure a hell could feel it from my lower back on up. I am at 295 3x8 now and I still don't really get much of my abs in the mix, but you should definitely feel it for the next day or two.