Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting weight.., is it fair?

cutting weight.., is it fair?

Over the weekend a lifter cut over 30lbs. to make a weight class. The lifter made weight and put 30lbs. back on by the day of the meet. This lifter went on to set a new record total for this weight class. Personally I give the lifter a lot of credit to do what he did, however I can't help but think that this was not what was intended when weight classes were formed.
    Their are two types of people, those who make progress and those who make excuses. SFW

Cut 30lbs in a weekend?... Man that's berserk. I've very little experience with cutting weight or making weight or anything like that but 30lbs in 2 days? and then gained 30lbs back in one day? That seems almost impossible...
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Everybody does it and they have done it for as long as weigh-ins have been around. It's a risk, like anything else in this sport, that some guys are willing to take.

Now stop crying and lift something Kennybear.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

You know Drew.., I never liked you, my little bear
    Their are two types of people, those who make progress and those who make excuses. SFW

One thing people need to realize in this sport as in any other, if what a lifter does meets or qualifies by the rules mandated by that fed then it is totally fair as everyone else has the same opportunity to do the same.I think a lot of people who compete more for fun or don't compete at all don't realize that for a lot of lifters-myself included-we will do anything it takes to reach our goals of putting up the biggest numbers possible,and if that means cutting,weighing in,and bloating back-up to a higher weight,then so be it.Same with gear and "supplements".If you are lifting in a fed that allows unlimited gear and choose not to do so,by all means that is cool,but don't say the guy that beat you who wore gangsta'd out gear cheated because it was your fault not to utilize the rules of that fed to the fullest.This sport is about putting up the biggest weight in competition and I think people need to realize that,and there are people willing to take certain steps as drastic to the outside or uninitiated observer as they may seem.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

Sure its fair. If you've ever cut weight before, you know how bad it sucks. If a lifter can cut 30+ lbs and gain it back then more power to them. So you have guys that lift at 220 who walk around 250, you'll have guys that lift at 242 that walk around at 260-270. It kind of balances itself out doesn't it? Cutting weight is part of the game in some feds. If you don't like the whole weight cutting that, there are feds with hour or 2 weigh - ins. Lift there!

Plus no one really said you HAVE to cut weight. I don't like it and I probably won't do it again for a long time. Lifting at 292 against guys who weigh 330 who cut to 308 isn't really fair, but who cares? Lift against yourself.

Cutting weight is part of other sports as well. Hell I knew guys in high school, 16-17 years old cutting 20 pounds for wrestling and they really didn't have any idea what they were doing.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunkin View Post
    One thing people need to realize in this sport as in any other, if what a lifter does meets or qualifies by the rules mandated by that fed then it is totally fair as everyone else has the same opportunity to do the same.I think a lot of people who compete more for fun or don't compete at all don't realize that for a lot of lifters-myself included-we will do anything it takes to reach our goals of putting up the biggest numbers possible,and if that means cutting,weighing in,and bloating back-up to a higher weight,then so be it.Same with gear and "supplements".If you are lifting in a fed that allows unlimited gear and choose not to do so,by all means that is cool,but don't say the guy that beat you who wore gangsta'd out gear cheated because it was your fault not to utilize the rules of that fed to the fullest.This sport is about putting up the biggest weight in competition and I think people need to realize that,and there are people willing to take certain steps as drastic to the outside or uninitiated observer as they may seem.
    I don't think I could have said it better myself........... Hell yes I could of. I would of dropped a couple F-bombs along the way but answer would of had same meaning.

To be fair, Kroczaleski was weighing 5 pounds less at competition than right before cutting weight.
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-...qid=94729&tid=

Athletes will push every single rule for every single advantage they can get. Im sure if Nascar drivers looked at what powerlifters do to get every advantage they would be pretty unimpressed compared to how they have there cars tweaked for every 10th of a horsepower.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny-SFW View Post
    Over the weekend a lifter cut over 30lbs. to make a weight class. The lifter made weight and put 30lbs. back on by the day of the meet. .
    First of all, I don't believe that.

This lifter went on to set a new record total for this weight class. Personally I give the lifter a lot of credit to do what he did,
    Massive weight loss in short period of time is usually obtained via "water loading". As drew noted in his post, there a risk. To be more specific, you're gambling with your life.

however I can't help but think that this was not what was intended when weight classes were formed.
    I I agree. However, as Matt noted, "...it is totally fair as everyone else has the same opportunity to do the same..."

As Bill Starr once stated, "Athletes will always find a way to beat the system".

Kenny Croxdale

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    First of all, I don't believe that.

Read Kroc's Journal on Elite He started at 255 on the 23th and oficially weighed in at 220 on the 24th.

Yeah it is true. People act like lifters do this all the time though and everyone is capable of it. It is honestly very very difficult, but if you have a talent for it, more power to you

If someone can cut that much weight and make a lower class, I give them big props. I don't cut any weight, step on the scale and that's the class I'm in. I don't even see it as a fairness issue

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by AJL11 View Post
    Read Kroc's Journal on Elite He started at 255 on the 23th and oficially weighed in at 220 on the 24th.
    AJ,

Good enough.

However, it only a matter of time before a powerlifter falls over dead from doing this.

Mohamed Benaziza (bodybuilder) fell over dead from dehydration. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...16034008/pg_3/

Kenny Croxdale

Yes it is.
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    Over the weekend a lifter cut over 30lbs. to make a weight class. The lifter made weight and put 30lbs. back on by the day of the meet. This lifter went on to set a new record total for this weight class. Personally I give the lifter a lot of credit to do what he did, however I can't help but think that this was not what was intended when weight classes were formed.
    That's why divisions should be divided up by height instead of weight. Leverages ( ie height ) cannot be changed, and are much more of a determining factor on how much weight can be moved.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    That's why divisions should be divided up by height instead of weight. Leverages ( ie height ) cannot be changed, and are much more of a determining factor on how much weight can be moved.
    Easily top 5 dumbest things I've ever heard

So you'd have 300+lb guys competing against 181ers and the like?

Explain to me how that makes sense?

If what you were saying were true, I should be able to bench as much as Sean Frankle simply on the basis that we are the same height

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    So you'd have 300+lb guys competing against 181ers and the like?

Explain to me how that makes sense?

If what you were saying were true, I should be able to bench as much as Sean Frankle simply on the basis that we are the same height
    It doesn't.
    Maybe size-weight ratios (arm length, leg length...) of some sort would make more sense but that point it just gets way too complicated.

If your tall than put on enough weight to be competitive, simple as that.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 04-28-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Just lift weights.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    It doesn't.
    Maybe size-weight ratios (arm length, leg length...) of some sort would make more sense but that point it just gets way too complicated.

If your tall than put on enough weight to be competitive, simple as that.
    Lets just not have weight classes and give everyone a first place trophy and a medal. That way everyone one is a winner!

I've cut from 238 to 220, and I bloated to 240. It's not that hard. The first 10 lbs is super easy. What Kroc does is on a different level though. That requires some serious mental toughness to voluntarily put yourself through that.

He has to be giving up something in strength to cut that much. He passed on this 3rd squat, and he passed on his 2nd deadlift to rest up for his 3rd. That makes me think he wasn't 100%. He was still strong enough to get the job done though.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I dont' know about that---considering the fact I'm more than a foot shorter than you are and I've got at least 20 lbs on you..... Sure.

Lifters will always push the limits with cutting weights. Its no different in any sport with a weight class. Hell its really no different than the county fair kids who feed their show pigs and sheep bb's so they make it into the higher weight class and then spend the weekend praying that the animal doesn't crap where someone will see it. Its almost human nature to push it like that...

That said, from a medical standpoint, I do think Kroc is really pushing it. He's no dummy, he knows what he's doing, but there is a limit to the degree of dehydration the body can withstand. The more he does it, the more likely there is to be that one screwup...

I will never have the balls to cut that kind of weight, to many things can go wrong. Ive cut 15lbs or so, that was more then enough for me.

That being said, its fully fair. May as well take as many advantages as you can. Wear the best gear you can, lift in the lowest class, etc. Hell, if the judging is loose, I would consider lifting differently as well. No different then say football, if you are an o lineman and the refs are simply not calling holding penaltys (happens all the time) your going to start holding guys.

People are going to do what it takes to win.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Also, even with 2 hour weigh ins people are cutting large amounts of weight. The difference is alot of them arn't getting it all back and are using more extreme measures to get it back (IVs, bloat pills etc)
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Also, even with 2 hour weigh ins people are cutting large amounts of weight. The difference is alot of them arn't getting it all back and are using more extreme measures to get it back (IVs, bloat pills etc)
    This is true, although not quite as much as Kroc did.

People often think this is unique to powerlifting though. Wrestlers, MMA fighters and the like are constantly cutting good amounts of weight to make a given class. Pretty common practice actually

I just wanted to know other peoples opinion. The bottom line is that no matter what the rules are they are the same for everybody, therefore it is justified. As far as Kroc is concerned, I think we call all see what makes a champion a champion, drive, will, determination and the balls to have a plan attack it, execute it and come out on top. Test your resolve, take your body somewhere it's never been and prevail, constantly push your body to become stronger and stronger. Thank God I'm a fat bastard and I'll never have to cut weight. All hail to the elephants the SHW.
    Last edited by Kenny-SFW; 04-28-2009 at 12:40 PM.