Thread: Help me get my deadlift to 600

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Help me get my deadlift to 600

Alright. As of last Monday I just hit an all time PR of 550 on my deadlift. My goal has always been to get into the 600's. Prior to this PR I've been using the 5/3/1 for my deadlift. This took me from 475 to 550. Assistance work has consisted off:

Pull throughs
    Back Raises
    Shrugs
    GHRs
    Step ups
    Leg Curls

My question is should I restart the 5/3/1 again taking 10% off my maxing and basing the percentages off of 500, or switch to more ME approach with it work with singles in the 90% range. I feel as though I may be getting stale doing the 5/3/1 as I've been running it since September; then again the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix so I'm kind of confused as to what direction I should take.

Any help appreciated. Thanks all.

EDIT: If it helps any, I'm strong off the floor and usually stall about the knee or slightly below.
    Last edited by butcher2; 12-16-2008 at 12:48 PM.

if you stall at the knee I would suggest doing some rack pulls right where you stall. I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But if you feel like your feeling stale and might need a change then I would listen to your body. Maybe add in some reverse band DL, speed pulls against the bands, you can DL off a platform. Just listen to your body and make the right choice.

Wannabebig Member
    Pull throughs
    Back Raises
    Shrugs
    GHRs
    Step ups
    Leg Curls
    Is that everything? What's your squat work like? Do you do conventional or sumo?

I've said it before, platform deadlifts are a must.. I think they're especially beneficial for people who are doing them for the first time. If you have not done them, you'll wonder why you haven't.
    What got me from 500 to 600 was basically just the incorporation of platforms and deadlifting with a thick bar. I used straps on a bar that was a bit thicker then an oly bar and a bit shorter too. Obviously with the incorporation of the straps you'll probably be able to pull at or around 600 using this shorter thicker bar. I know.. "straps, lol" but I think this does two things;
    1. It gets your body used to the "feeling" of 600 lbs.
    2. If you deadlift enough with a thicker, shorter bar (even with sraps) when you go to put your hands on a regular oly or deadlift bar raw it will feel like nothing.
    Also, dumb bell rows will help with the knee to lockout portion of the lift. They've been basically my only accessory work on deadlift day for a while now. The way I do them is first do about 5 sets with progressively heavier weight until it get too heavy to hold. Then put on some straps (I know.. straps) and try a set to get as many reps as you can with that heavier weight. I got this idea from Matt Kroczaleski.
    Last edited by TJM; 12-16-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    1. It gets your body used to the "feeling" of 600 lbs...
    High rack pulls will do this too. Ask Chuck V about them.

As for the OP, Just keep doing the 5/3/1. You put 75 pounds on your pull from apparently September to now. Why change it?
    Roll Tide.

I was stuck at 550 for a long while and what got it moving again was incorporating some rest-pause work, reverse hypers, and front squats. For assistance I usually do GHR's, RDL's, pull throughs, bentover or pendlay rows, and some oly movements. For legs I do back and front squats, single leg squats, overhead squats, lunges, and the aformentioned GHR's and RDL's which also hit the hamstrings. I'm getting very close to 600 now doing this (plan to go for 585 this Friday and maybe 590-600 if I feel good).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    I think you should keep doing what your doing; stick with the program, which is obviously working. Hell, you started in September and it's only halfway through December. I know you want that 600 bad, but as I've said many times here, the tortoise wins the race. (And I am very familiar with Jim's program)
    Last edited by HP666; 12-16-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Habingus
    Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    I think you should keep doing what your doing; stick with the program, which is obviously working. Hell, you started in September and it's only halfway through December. I know you want that 600 bad, but as I've said many times here, the tortoise wins the race. (And I am very familiar with Jim's program)
    I second that emotion.

I would try to give you advice but id feel ******ed giving someone who pulls 95lbs more than me advice lol so ill just give you one of these....

GOOD LUCK!!!
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

Habingus
    One thing you could try, if you wanted to change it up for a while would be deadlifting with chains or off plates. But to be honest I think if you keep doing what your doing you will have success.

True. Don't fix what isn't broken.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Could someone please explain the 5/3/1 system to me, is this referring to the rep range?
    What % of my max lift should I be doing,should the '1' be my max lift?

Cheers

(This is ain't a thread hijack, just wondered lol)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prettyboyfloyd View Post
    Could someone please explain the 5/3/1 system to me, is this referring to the rep range?
    What % of my max lift should I be doing,should the '1' be my max lift?

Cheers

(This is ain't a thread hijack, just wondered lol)
    It's from this book: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=2795

Wannabebig Member
    Nice one Travis!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to reset the 5/3/1 next week basing it off my 500 max. 600 here I come.

Hey bro...since we lift together and all..how bout a tortoise-esque race to 600..whaddya say?
    Squat - 450
    Bench - 325
    Dead - 570

BW - 210
    BF - 13-14%

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121686

Sumo or conventional? Missing just below the knee is usually weak lower back. I asked Louie that at his seminar, since that's where I miss. Throw in some extra work for your lower back. I did and he was right. Now I get it to above my knees pretty easily.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Lexen Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Sumo or conventional? Missing just below the knee is usually weak lower back. I asked Louie that at his seminar, since that's where I miss. Throw in some extra work for your lower back. I did and he was right. Now I get it to above my knees pretty easily.
    This is a good tip. Good Mornings in the 5 or 3 rep range should really help with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher2 View Post
    Alright. As of last Monday I just hit an all time PR of 550 on my deadlift. My goal has always been to get into the 600's. Prior to this PR I've been using the 5/3/1 for my deadlift. This took me from 475 to 550. Assistance work has consisted off:

Pull throughs
    Back Raises
    Shrugs
    GHRs
    Step ups
    Leg Curls

My question is should I restart the 5/3/1 again taking 10% off my maxing and basing the percentages off of 500, or switch to more ME approach with it work with singles in the 90% range. I feel as though I may be getting stale doing the 5/3/1 as I've been running it since September; then again the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix so I'm kind of confused as to what direction I should take.

Any help appreciated. Thanks all.

EDIT: If it helps any, I'm strong off the floor and usually stall about the knee or slightly below.
    If you stall at the knees you should hit GHR's and upper back work hard. Like 5 sets of 15 on GHR's. Also try pulling from different height blocks. Doing those and hitting GHR's hard bumped my DL up 80lbs in a 2 month training cycle.
    Member of Society of Strength (Best Gym In Kansas City)
    We Cant Stop Here. This is Bat Country.
    Introduce a little Anarchy. Upset the established order. Then everything becomes Chaos.

Two things that have helped me...

Narrower stance. If you pull sumo this doesn't apply to you, but once I moved my stance in to about 6 inches apart, I felt a lot stronger in this position.

heavy, narrow chin ups and pull ups. Unlike most powerlifters, I have a "big four:" bench, squat, dead, and chins. I do them heavy in the lower rep ranges. When I went from 515 to 550, I really didn't deadlift all that often. I would do heavy singles on some sort of dead movement once a week, if at all. What I did instead was squat a lot, and do some heavy chins. Two weeks of fives, a single, deload, two weeks of threes, another single, deload, repeat. I also do them against mini bands wrapped around my neck. Last week I did two easy singles of 60 lbs + mini bands, though my best x1 is bodyweight +135 lbs, which was several months ago. I've always been a good deadalifter compared to my other lifts and I believe its been my emphasis on heavy chinups and pull ups, even though I don't deadlift heavy that often.

Give it a try and see how it works for you.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Hazerboy has a good point.

I agree that doing GHR's for lower back/hamstrings and chins for upper back really help out with the deadlift. Lockouts have been a strongpoint for me despite the fact I don't do any rack pulls and I attribute a lot of it to those two things. I've been doing the 5-3-1 now for a while and have made steady progress on my deadlift and especialyl my squats. Throwing some front squats in there helps a lot, too, if you deadlift conventional. I just hit 600 and plan to keep going with what I've been doing until it stops working!

Your leverage may vary.
    Last edited by Guido; 05-01-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal