The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

weight room etiquette

Being fairly new to the weight room, i was just wondering if there is anything i should do or not do to not get beat up or get cussed out by the bigger guys.
    for example, taking weights off after im done with one set or taking someone elses weights off the squat rack so i can do my set.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Don't be an ass like the guys in my gym that use the squat rack for doing BB curls!
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Just have general respect for other people. If you want to ask questions of the bigger/stronger guys, do so when they are finished training or when they are resting between sets. Don't bother people when they are lifting.

It's all about common courtesy and respect.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Do not spank the big guy as be bends down for a Deadlift!

Na seriously, just use common sense. Be polite, if you think someone might be using something you might want to use, ask first etc...
    The Time is Now - My Journey to 180lbs
    Skinny Guy Starts Training
    Progress Pictures

Height: 6'-6'1" | Weight:160lbs | Start Weight: 140lbs | Goal Weight: 180lbs
    Bench: 176.4lbs x 5
    Squat: 187.4lbs x 2
    Deadlift: 264.6lbs x 5

Nothing maxed yet!

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Just have general respect for other people. If you want to ask questions of the bigger/stronger guys, do so when they are finished training or when they are resting between sets. Don't bother people when they are lifting.

It's all about common courtesy and respect.
    Yeah, things are pretty straight forward. Let people work in, don't hog machines, don't sit in the water fountains (gum included), wipe down equippment, etc. The common sense stuff.

It always depends on where you workout. Most of us are in places like Ballys or 24 Hour Fitness, where tons of people use the equipment (unless you squat and dead).
    Typically, unload all your weights for most free weight exercises.
    I take 2 towels with me, one to wipe myself off with and the other to put under me on the bench.
    Wipe up your sweat. There's nothing more gross than some one's sweaty head print on the bench or sweat on a bar, etc.
    Unless your gym is OK with it, no chalk (bummer - sweaty palms whilest doing deads sucks).
    If you want to use something that some one else is using, don't hover and wait for them to finish. Ask if you can work in or wait 'til they're done.
    When some one has lifted or is getting ready to lift, don't say hi to them, let them complete the lift first.
    Many will say don't grunt or holler when lifting. I don't yell, but I grunt here and there. Many places frown on that, though. Try to keep it down.
    Don't hog a machine or free weight area. Let people work in, if they must.
    Be nice.....until you have to be mean.
    DON'T DO CURLS IN THE POWER RACK!
    Don't stand in front of the mirror and flex, we're all bigger than you.
    Don't volunteer to correct some one's form unless they ask.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by TheVrolok View Post
    Yeah, things are pretty straight forward. Let people work in, don't hog machines, don't sit in the water fountains (gum included), wipe down equippment, etc. The common sense stuff.
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread, butttt....

I was working out with 2 of my buddies about 2 months ago. We were doing 4 sets each, total on the Incline bench. We were through our 3rd set, and had 1 set each remaining when this guy asked if he could work in with us. This, of course, would be cumbersome as we were so close to being done. We explained that we were just about finished (thinking he would oblige and just wait the 6 or so minutes). After telling him, he insisted he worked in with us. We ending up just saying NO. Were we right in this situation?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpw204 View Post

I was working out with 2 of my buddies about 2 months ago. We were doing 4 sets each, total on the Incline bench. We were through our 3rd set, and had 1 set each remaining when this guy asked if he could work in with us. This, of course, would be cumbersome as we were so close to being done. We explained that we were just about finished (thinking he would oblige and just wait the 6 or so minutes). After telling him, he insisted he worked in with us. We ending up just saying NO. Were we right in this situation?
    Yes - you had a group running on the equipment. He could wait until you were done. There's difference between polite and being a doosh.

Banned
    Some basic rules in regards to strongman, some humorous of course (written by one of our KCStrongman guys):

If you go to a training day at someone elseís place, Remember youíre a guest, and since a lot of times its in someoneís home be extra mindful.

Since the sport is growing, training groups get larger and larger, so if everyone wants to do different stuff then the session is going to take way too long to be productive. So if your going to train at someone else place, make plans with them before hand if there are special events you want to work on. And if someone posts a training day and says ďwe are going to be doing event A,B,C,and D. Donít show up and say ďI need to work event FĒ.

Remember, most of the equipment is bought by guys who have to work hard and save up, or groups of guys who pool their finances to get their equipment. Even at SouthSide where itís a commercial gym environment, all the strongman equipment was paid for by the guys who compete. So treat it that way.

If you train at someone elses place and use their stones, but donít bring them a jar of Tacky from time to time, itís a safe bet that when your not around you are referred to as ďthat fu@#ing DooshĒÖÖÖ.same goes for WD40 or GOJO Etc.

Remember, if you crap yourself during a competition, try not to do it while you have tacky on your hands.

If you train at someone else place on a regular basis and you show up one day and they have a beautiful new piece of equipment. The correct response is ďhey let me kick you a few bucks to cover the cost of thatĒ!.......another acceptable response is: ďhey Iíve got some kegs that Iím going to leave here for a while for when we trainĒ.

If your 12 feet tall and weigh 688, try not to fall down during farmers walks. Because, man, were not going to be able to keep picking your big ass up!

If you sign up for a meet and something comes up and your not going to make it, Let the promoter know as soon as you can. Lately most competitions have alternate list when all of the spots get filled. If you back out, let them fill your spot!

If your not competing in a meet, but are able to attend, LOAD. Its scientifically impossible to have too many loaders. I have recently gained a new respect for the guys that put on these meets. Running a meet is about 12 times harder than winning one. Remember, Every time you move a weight, someone has to move it back before the show can go on.

If deep in your heart you think you really are the strongest man to ever live but that you just havenít been able to quite get it dialed in on event day, And its just a matter of time before we are all basking in your glory. Thatís fine, but in case your dad or granddad didnít tell you: those are thoughts that are supposed to remain on the inside of your head.

If you have been working so hard to load that stone, week after week. And tonight you lapped it and got it to the edge of the platform, and it was sooooo close, but you didnít quit make it: its ok to be mad and frustrated. But DO NOT KICK THE STONE!!

If you live in a candy store and all of your friends are starving, donít go around buying up all the candy just because your on the internet all day and see the good deals before everyone else does!

A little friendly trash talking is ok. But if you canít control your mouth (or your mouse), go find a pick-up basketball game in da hood. This is strongman!

Donít ask a fellow competitor to help you pull your suit on right before a grip event.

If you train at someone elseís place, donít get WD40 all over the bathroom.

If your using wrist straps for an event, but you need someone else to help you tighten them onto the implement, youíre a dummy! were not firing you out of a cannon here, its a friggin barbell and two nylon straps! (that complaint is only from me, no one else seems to mind!)

Donít drop implements on Darren Barnhartís hands or feet, have some respect.

Donít call and say your coming to train and then not show up, leaving everyone waiting for you and screwing up the training day. And donít do it 3 or 4 weeks in a row either.

If you ARE going to come to a training day, check with the guy throwing it and make sure its cool, donít just drop in out of nowhere.

If you training around some guys that are getting ready for a competition. and you are just goofing around. Try and let them get their stuff done.

Help the new guys out as much as you can. This stuff can be pretty intimidating at first. If your at a meet and you see a new guy with that deer in the headlights look, give him a hand.

If you are faced with a situation in training or competition and you dont know how to conduct yourself, remember this: WWTND (What Would Timmy Nassen DO)

These are just a few thoughts.

Ben's response - exaclty. If you were alone, then no problemo, but already having 3 guys, no way.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

thanks for the fast responses guys! I dont think ill have anything really to worry about then, im pretty good with being polite.
    I seen some guy doing curls in the power rack when i needed to use it for squats. i wanted to yell at him but i didnt because i didnt feel like getting my ass kicked at the moment

When waiting for someone else to get done with a power rack should i just continue with the other lifts in the routine or what? i dont want to stand there looking like an idiot but when theres a guy on the bench press and in the squat rack and im done with the deadlift, i dont know what i should do.

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpw204 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Yes - you had a group running on the equipment. He could wait until you were done. There's difference between polite and being a doosh.
    This ^^.
    If I see a group of 3 or more I don't even bother asking to work in, I simply ask how many more sets they have left. Like Ben said, there's a difference between being polite, and being a douche. That guy was a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    thanks for the fast responses guys! I dont think ill have anything really to worry about then, im pretty good with being polite.
    I seen some guy doing curls in the power rack when i needed to use it for squats. i wanted to yell at him but i didnt because i didnt feel like getting my ass kicked at the moment

When waiting for someone else to get done with a power rack should i just continue with the other lifts in the routine or what? i dont want to stand there looking like an idiot but when theres a guy on the bench press and in the squat rack and im done with the deadlift, i dont know what i should do.
    That's a toughie. Honestly, find a gym with more power racks if possible. I'm assuming it's probably not, though. I don't really like doing other exercises before getting my compounds done, I'd rather not fatigue before I get squat/dead/bench/cleans done. If the guy in the rack is doing something he can do out of the rack (people do some really stupid things in racks that just wastes everyone elses time), you can try to politely ask for him to move.
    Last edited by TheVrolok; 11-05-2008 at 10:52 AM.

I wait. Also, if someone is using the squat rack for something that doesn't require a rack (ie: squats, rack pulls, etc.) I'll ask them politely to move so I can use the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I wait. Also, if someone is using the squat rack for something that doesn't require a rack (ie: squats, rack pulls, etc.) I'll ask them politely to move so I can use the rack.
    the other day after i got done doing a set of squatting i went over to the other side real quick for a drink out of the fountain. when i returned i seen a guy in the power rack on a bench doing a dunbell bench thing. i didnt know what to say to him so i just looked at him and when he got done with his set i moved his bench out of the squat rack and i did my other set. he looked at me like im some *******. would there be another way to approach this or did i do the right thing

i got some advice. re-rack your damn weights
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 190

Louisville's NE YMCA

the other day after i got done doing a set of squatting i went over to the other side real quick for a drink out of the fountain. when i returned i seen a guy in the power rack on a bench doing a dunbell bench thing. i didnt know what to say to him so i just looked at him and when he got done with his set i moved his bench out of the squat rack and i did my other set. he looked at me like im some *******. would there be another way to approach this or did i do the right thing
    He was DB benching in the squat rack?

When people try to take my equipment, I tell them I'm using it and ask them if they want to work in. If he was using dumbbells I would have simply told him that he doesn't need the rack.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sure that this goes without saying to most of us here, but don't try to take up more than one piece of equipment at once. I got into it the other day with some asshat that was making trips between the bench, the cables and the lat pulldown machine.
    When he finished one set on the cables and walked over to the bench, I jumped on the cables and started using them. he stops his set on the bench and walks over to tell me that he is using the cables. I politely told him that I saw him using the bench, not the cables. to which he replied "I was using them both". I told him that he could not expect to take up two stations at once, and that he could use the cables when i was done. He got all pissed off and stood in in my face as I finished my set. I'm not kidding he sat right in front of me staring me down as I worked. This guy was the biggest gym douche I have ever met.
    I probably would have gotten in a fight with him if he wasn't well into his 60's. Anyway, for the rest of my workout, every time that i looked over at him he was staring at me.
    In retrospect though, it was kind of funny.
    Heart pounding, legs burning, hands shaking........

NEVER FELT BETTER !

5'11"
    230 lbs.

It's guys like that that really torque me, as well. I usually end up threatening to throw them down the stairs. That usually gets them to back off.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

When you pick up a pair of dumbbells to do a set of anything...GET AWAY FROM THE ****ING RACK.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone doing a set close enough to the rack that their knob is rubbing all over it, preventing me from getting a set of dumbbells.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    When you pick up a pair of dumbbells to do a set of anything...GET AWAY FROM THE ****ING RACK.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone doing a set close enough to the rack that their knob is rubbing all over it, preventing me from getting a set of dumbbells.
    I've got to agree with that one. I hate when somebody is doing a set of curls standing right in front of the rack. Step back so others can get to the dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post

I HATE THAT! some guy was using dumbells withing 6 inches of the rack and he was in front of the ones i needed. i asked him to move politely and he looked at me and pretended like he didnt hear me. i was about to cuss him out but then i decided i would just push him out of my way to get them. i was expecting him to do something but instead he just looked at me supprised. probably not the best thing to do, but i was already in a bad mood and i could have taken him im sure.

I hate when people are using the squat rack and inbetween sets talk to everyone around them for 15-20 minutes. I Seriously waited 30 minutes for this guy to do 4 sets of squats while in between sets he couldnt shut up.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

ďPersistence Persistence.Ē - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I have no problems using the squat rack for curling. As long as no one else wants to use it.

My #1 rule for gym etiquette: DO NOT TRIM YOUR GONAD HAIR IN THE LOCKER ROOM!!! That's just gross, besides rude. Do it at home with the rest of humanity.

Others, in no particular order:

--Don't play your iPod so loud that other people can hear it.
    --Wipe off the equipment when you are done with it.
    --Don't over-grunt.
    --Don't hit on every girl that walks by.
    --Don't give unsolicited advice.
    Last edited by BG5150; 11-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Fart HARD on heavy lifts!!!

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    generally its just about manners... but im with rb - always take deoderant and a towel. noone wants to spot a stinky bloke or get spotted by someone with sweat dripping off his head (especially if theyre lying in a pool of it).