The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

World Or National Titles

I was reading on another forum and saw a quote from Louie that I had seen in the past, that does make some sense:

THE ONLY CLASS THAT MATTERS IS THE OPEN CLASS.

If you win a Masters world title I do feel it has alot of merit, but some of the sub divisons are getting out of control as there are so many.

Is the open the MOST coveted?

Is the open the ONLY important world title?

What about single lift world titles?

Semper Fi
    Last edited by SGT ROCK; 12-12-2008 at 05:49 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Louie is right. The only one that matters is the Open Class. The other classes are great for the lifters involved, but for the "show" of powerlifting, the open class is the only one that matters. And, I'll add that the heavy classes are the only ones that matter. 275 and above. People go to the circus to see the elephants, not the mice.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Louie is right. The only one that matters is the Open Class. The other classes are great for the lifters involved, but for the "show" of powerlifting, the open class is the only one that matters. And, I'll add that the heavy classes are the only ones that matter. 275 and above. People go to the circus to see the elephants, not the mice.
    I know it's blasphemy, but at the bigger meets I would throw the 242s in there as well. Pretty much because of Kroc and Brian Carroll. So I guess not anymore.
    Roll Tide.

Habingus
    Brian Carroll is a badass cause he cuts like 200 lbs for meets. Powerlifting is all about swords.

Banned
    The open is the most important and the one I respect the most.

The others are still important so people can compete.

The main thing I don't like about weight classes is it hurts peoples strength gains. People would rather compete at a lower weight class and be competitive, but gain strength slowly. Instead they could bulk up and gain strength at a faster pace.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    I was reading on another forum and saw a quote from Louie that I had seen in the past, that does make some sense:

THE ONLY CLASS THAT MATTERS IS THE OPEN CLASS.

If you win a Masters world title I do feel it has alot of merit, but some of the sub divisons are getting out of control as there are so many.

Is the open the MOST coveted?

Is the open the ONLY important world title?

What about single lift world titles?

Semper Fi
    The open DIVISION is indeed the division that counts for the real glory. CLASS on the other hand is a matter of character!

I figure that the main reason master divisions were created so meet directors could still keep getting entry fees from geezers like me who no longer had a chance in the open...LOL

Robert Harris
    Las Vegas, NV
    Last edited by SGT ROCK; 12-12-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Banned
    The only classes that matter are 275 and up? Right, nobody thinks watching Mazza, Frey or Halbert bench is interesting? How about Chuck's 220 class squat? Panora, Conyers, Coan, Anello, Caprari, etc.... all boring because they aren't "elephants". No, all weight classes are interesting and sometimes the smaller guys do some amazing things that are quite entertaining. Also, I suppose you might as well throw out all female lifters too, even though they too do some amazing feats of strength. Ignorance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray-z View Post
    The only classes that matter are 275 and up? Right, nobody thinks watching Mazza, Frey or Halbert bench is interesting? How about Chuck's 220 class squat? Panora, Conyers, Coan, Anello, Caprari, etc.... all boring because they aren't "elephants". No, all weight classes are interesting and sometimes the smaller guys do some amazing things that are quite entertaining. Also, I suppose you might as well throw out all female lifters too, even though they too do some amazing feats of strength. Ignorance.
    Who are you? So, like all internet trolls, you use the exceptions to prove the rule. Sure, there are great small lifters. They are the EXCEPTION to the rule. You'll take 5-6 great lifters and use those 5-6 to cover for ALL of the other tiny people that aren't fun to watch? And, I'm ignorant?

I have tremendous respect for anyone who powerlifts. But, this was about the open class being the cream of the crop as far as National or World titles. Don't be Johnny Nitpick, new guy.

I saw Chuck squat his 1025 at 220. Now, Chuck and Panora are 275's. Halbert has been a 275. Matt Kroc is moving up as well.

You may think I'm ignorant, but I'm right, and it bothers you. You must be one of the masses in the below 275 classes. Do something about it.

Open is the only one that matters. Other than the fact that people like trophies, can someone please explain to me why there is even a Submaster class (33-39)? Isn't this the age when most lifters peak?

I think the divisions should be:
    Teen- less than 20yoa
    Open- 20-50 yoa
    Master- 50 and up

classes:
    lightweight- 0 to 200 lbs
    medium- 200-300 lbs
    hvys- 300 and up

No police/fire/military/internet

That said, I think Open is obviously the most prestigious. The victory means you beat everyone.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    Teen- less than 20yoa
    Open- 20-50 yoa
    Master- 50 and up

classes:
    medium- 200-300 lbs
    hvys- 300 and up

That said, I think Open is obviously the most prestigious. The victory means you beat everyone.

I think this is brilliant. Keep it simple and straight-forward. Me likey.

BBQ BEBES!
    I could have sworn strength sports aside from competing were about people becoming stronger and bettering themselves, as there isn't a whole lot of money in this game we all do it for something. I agree and disagree with alot of comments. When it comes to big meets, meets that are for money and glory, then the classes need to be minimized. For smaller events, throw out whatever the host holding the show wants to, they are the one doing the show. That makes more people want to compete, gets more interest in the sport overall, and helps overall growth and expansion of the sport.

I agree that classes need to be minimized. If anything, the number of classes between 150lbs and 200-ish lbs needs to be reduced
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 12-12-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Teen- less than 20yoa
    Open- 20-50 yoa
    Master- 50 and up

classes:
    medium- 200-300 lbs
    hvys- 300 and up

I like this Idea. It keeps the competition up rather than continuing the trend of watering down divisions so that everyone wins.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I like this Idea. It keeps the competition up rather than continuing the trend of watering down divisions so that everyone wins.
    I kind of agree with that. I just started powerlifting this year so don't really know enough of how everything works to have an educated opinion. But as a general rule in any sport if you win because you have no competition it does not really mean anything, IMO. But also in this sport you if you are not a major contender it is nice because you can compete with yourself and reach new PR's and in a way that is winning so that is cool too.
    Last edited by Donnajo; 12-12-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray-z View Post
    This is a forum where we get strong and help each other out. If you don't want to help out and make the community and yourself better then I suggest you go to bodybreaking.co...whocares. They seem to like putting each other down and like getting mad at each other.

If you are serious then this is the best forum to be at.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I think this is brilliant. Keep it simple and straight-forward. Me likey.

I thought you'd like this one Rhodes. Also, no 24 hour weigh ins. All weigh ins morning of meet. This will promote weight gain. That way, nobody will want to cut weight except a few near 200 or 300 lbs. Everyone will attempt to gain as much as possible to be in the top part of the class.

I thought you'd like this one Rhodes. Also, no 24 hour weigh ins. All weigh ins morning of meet. This will promote weight gain. That way, nobody will want to cut weight except a few near 200 or 300 lbs. Everyone will attempt to gain as much as possible to be in the top part of the class.
    +1

Sounds like a good plan to me.
    Last edited by Detard; 12-12-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Habingus
    They should get rid of weigh ins and just use the honor system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    They should get rid of weigh ins and just use the honor system.
    That's part of the "Internet Federation". Not only is your weight on the "honor system" but so are your lifts.

The most honor is winning an open division title, lifting at the same weight you weighed in at. With 24 hour weigh ins, it's not only a lifting competition, but a weight cutting competition. I say, F&&k cutting weight, lift weight.

I have always been partial to the heavier weight classes as they have the biggest lifts.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I have always been partial to the heavier weight classes as they have the biggest lifts.

They are truly exciting and impressive to watch.

I am partial to heavier weights because I like to eat!

Teen- less than 20yoa
    Open- 20-50 yoa
    Master- 50 and up

classes:
    medium- 200-300 lbs
    hvys- 300 and up

That would suit me fine. But I'll add this for those who don't think Masters Championships have any merit. About 90% of the open lifters out there couldn't beat the top over 50 Masters. You're looking at numbers like 2142 total, 931 squat, 716 bench (Ryano) and well over 700's deadlifts...not a bunch of feable old farts!

I think the better question is not wheather open, or master's, or women's World and National titles have more merit; but wheather so called World or National titles won in anything but the 'Major' truely international and national feds have any merit? When you call a 'regional meet' a World Championship, it's still just a 'regional meet'.

We definately have too many divisions, but we have way to many so called National and World Championships meets. In my opinion that's much worse than all of the divisions.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Banned
    No 24 hour weigh-ins. Even more brilliant.