The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

"Sad news flash about powerlifting" !!!

the IOC executive board decided not to grant recognition to the IPF

Main problem is the high amount of doping positive athletes on international,regional and national level.

this is the main reason for the IOC executive board not to grant IPF the recognition.

I've seen that news from IPF homepage and powerliftingwatch .com.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lol, so the fact they test and bust people gets them excluded. That is SOOOOO stupid! Evidently the IOC would prefer the dirty little secret of drug use to go on a little more behind the scenes much like it does at the Olympics.
    Last edited by chris mason; 12-20-2008 at 09:01 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Well I think it had a lot to do with the fact that Russia should have been suspended twice but both of their suspensions were cut short for who knows what reason. In truth, the IPF is just as screwed up as any federation.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    In truth, the IPF is just as screwed up as any federation.
    Maybe in terms of beauracracy... but at least they've got the actual lifts down.

Cute.

Guys, this one needs to stay on topic of the IPF not getting approved for IOC recognition. We've had enough fed bashing. Any questions, PM me but keep it off the board or comments will be removed

Wannabebig Member
    Since when is weightlifting clean? That's a dumb reason not to let in the Olympics.. they let fricken bowling and table tennis in and no one watches those. At least people would watch powerlifting.
    Last edited by TJM; 12-20-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Banned
    Who cares about the Olympics? Don't get me wrong. It would be cool to represent my country, but powerlifting is about as fun to watch as ping pong, maybe worse. No one would watch it. And, our best lifters probably wouldn't want to compete because of the ridiculous rules and gear requirements. I may be wrong on that one. I just don't see Donnie or Andy competing in the IPF. Obviously Brian Siders would kick ass.

I think we need to worry more about powerlifting on the local/regional/national level before we worry about the Olympics. But, since we don't make any money doing what we do, we should just be happy that we have the ability to compete at something we love.
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 12-20-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post

Who cares about the Olympics? Don't get me wrong. It would be cool to represent my country, but powerlifting is about as fun to watch as ping pong, maybe worse. No one would watch it. And, our best lifters probably wouldn't want to compete because of the ridiculous rules and gear requirements. I may be wrong on that one. I just don't see Donnie or Andy competing in the IPF. Obviously Brian Siders would kick ass.

I think we need to worry more about powerlifting on the local/regional/national level before we worry about the Olympics. But, since we don't make any money doing what we do, we should just be happy that we have the ability to compete at something we love.
    Maybe it's just me but I love watching powerlifting, especially IPF . It wouldn't be the next men's swimming obviously but I think people would watch it just cause they could identify with it more then weightlifting. Especially in America / western Europe. Everyone has bench pressed but not everyone has (or even can) snatch. And in powerlifting people would see 800 - 900lbs lifted as opposed to 400 or 500 in weightlifting. So that would be more exciting I guess. They could give medals for total and then individual lifts too... that'd be cool. There's just something about the Oympics... powerlifting needs to be there.
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 12-20-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I love watching powerlifting, especially IPF . It wouldn't be the next men's swimming obviously but I think people would watch it just cause they could identify with it more then weightlifting. Especially in America / western Europe. Everyone has bench pressed but not everyone has (or even can) snatch. And in powerlifting people would see 800 - 900lbs lifted as opposed to 400 or 500 in weightlifting. So that would be more exciting I guess. They could give medals for total and then individual lifts too... that'd be cool. There's just something about the Oympics... powerlifting needs to be there.
    I like watching powerlifting, too. Most people could care less. Just like I can't watch tennis. But, people that like tennis can watch it all day long. Our sport is so small that the vast majority wouldn't be interested. I think people have a hard time relating to the weights lifted. 500lbs doesn't relate well with regular people. We see it everyday. I watched Vincent Dizenzo OHP 405 last weekend. I was right behind him. All I thought was, "sweet. nice lift." As powerlifters, we're so conditioned to expect big numbers that it's almost taken for granted. Just like when people say, "he's big" and some dude only weighs 200lbs. I laugh, but to the average person, a 200lb dude is pretty big. It's all relative and now I'm rambling.

I could see powelifting as an, (gasp, it hurts to say) extreme sport. Maybe the X Games is an avenue powerlifting could look at. I don't think the X Games is worthy of that kind of exposure. Skateboarding? Bike Riding? I did that stuff when I was a kid. But, in our society, everyone has to be included, even the kids that didn't play "real" sports. Powerlifting might be an X Game.

WPF Worlds '09!
    i thought that the USAPL stuff got a lot of attention at the arnold classic? So did the WPO events. It might not be as bad as we'd think.
    Best competition lifts & stats:
    Bodyweight: 72kgs/159lbs
    Total: 1422lbs/645kgs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GerSmith View Post
    i thought that the USAPL stuff got a lot of attention at the arnold classic? So did the WPO events. It might not be as bad as we'd think.
    That's such a small sampling of people. Ask all of your friends if they've been to the Arnold.

The WPO was something. An event, but Kk screwed that all up. The USAPL is nothing like the spectacle of the WPO. The WPO was like the WWE.

I for one would watch Powerlifting if it was in the Olympics.I still can remember when Bench America was on TV and i was just really getting into powerlifting i was like this is the coolest thing ever lol.This is sad news that they wont let Powerlifting in because of the doping issue i would love to see it in the olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    I for one would watch Powerlifting if it was in the Olympics.I still can remember when Bench America was on TV and i was just really getting into powerlifting i was like this is the coolest thing ever lol.This is sad news that they wont let Powerlifting in because of the doping issue i would love to see it in the olympics.
    Bench America was the coolest thing ever because I was on it. Seriously, that was one of my favorite moments/accomplishments in my pl career. I'd rather see real pro pl before pl in the Olympics. I want the athletes getting paid.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I agree.

I think to not include powerlifting in the Olympics because it is unwatchable doesn't make sense. There are plenty of sports that are in the Olympics that (a) never even make it to the TV (b) are just as unwatchable on TV as powerlifting. For instance, the marathon is about the most boring thing in the world, but it is there every year and will continue to be. In addition, there isn't that much of a difference between Olympic lifting and Powerlifting to the general public (I understand the differences, butto the average Joe, they would have a hard time communicating them). I think the drug and lack of organization of the sport are what really hold it back along with perhaps the gear issue. I am not going to debate gear and drugs because that is an individual choice. However, I think until the sport gets some true leadership, it will never make the progress it deserves. Rather than uniting, this is a pretty divisive sport as evidenced by the number of federations and permutations that exist. Strongman has made its way into more of the mainstream because it has more of a centralized structure which lends itself to the Marketing and PR that is needed to gain more public recognition. What people miss is the teamwork, focus, and other positive attributes of Powerlifting that I think the public misses (even all the charitable meets and what have you). I think that for powerlifting to succeed people need to move beyond the gear vs. raw, tested vs. non-tested and unite behind a common platform. Until that happens, Powerlifting is destined to be an "underground" sport; I am not saying that is right or wrong, just an observation on the situation.

Well, **** the olympics. They have a sport where a bunch of ******s ride around on horses dressed like weirdos and a sport where a bunch of little asian men play table tennis, but no powerlifting? Bull****.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-20-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Who cares? KK was the best and worst thing to happen to the sport so some one rich needs to fix and resurrect the WPO.
    Roll Tide.

Hey Geoff, ever heard of paragraphs? That's a tough read you posted there.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsherman View Post
    I think to not include powerlifting in the Olympics because it is unwatchable doesn't make sense. There are plenty of sports that are in the Olympics that (a) never even make it to the TV (b) are just as unwatchable on TV as powerlifting. For instance, the marathon is about the most boring thing in the world, but it is there every year and will continue to be. In addition, there isn't that much of a difference between Olympic lifting and Powerlifting to the general public (I understand the differences, butto the average Joe, they would have a hard time communicating them). I think the drug and lack of organization of the sport are what really hold it back along with perhaps the gear issue. I am not going to debate gear and drugs because that is an individual choice. However, I think until the sport gets some true leadership, it will never make the progress it deserves. Rather than uniting, this is a pretty divisive sport as evidenced by the number of federations and permutations that exist. Strongman has made its way into more of the mainstream because it has more of a centralized structure which lends itself to the Marketing and PR that is needed to gain more public recognition. What people miss is the teamwork, focus, and other positive attributes of Powerlifting that I think the public misses (even all the charitable meets and what have you). I think that for powerlifting to succeed people need to move beyond the gear vs. raw, tested vs. non-tested and unite behind a common platform. Until that happens, Powerlifting is destined to be an "underground" sport; I am not saying that is right or wrong, just an observation on the situation.
    I may be young but I had about two years in the IPF as a junior, and am now into my second year of Olympic lifting. Also, being a bearded man child I tend to be very chummy with the drug testers... they really like me. My opinion is one derived from asking alot of people alot of questions.

1. As for boredom, the marathon argument is a weak one. Marathon running unarguably has its place as it is a sport, but power lifting is not only extremely boring to watch, it is is also a strength sport that seems similar to Olympic weightlifting. But it is also very very different to olympic lifting. Part of the reson for my change was I wanted a dynamic explosive sport, a great expression of the human body... a deadlift that takes 10 seconds to get up is a great effort, but it does not compare to the heroic nature of big weights overhead as is with Olympic lifting.

2. You forget the problem of equipment, to the average Joe the constant question will be 'what's the point of the sport if the shirt lifts the weight for you?' On this forum we know that is not the case but it's something powerlifting will always cop crap for from the general problem. Olympic lifting is not only a greater ROM sport, but does not have that problem, gear would inhibit the lifts. Also, it is not in the interest of the weightlifter to reduce ROM, for the power lifter it is basic technique. This plays heavily against its watchability.

3. For power lifting to be an Olympic Sport, it needs to be a WADA priority. In order to be WADA priority, it needs to be an Olympic sport... it's kinda stuck. Say what you want about the drug testing in the Olympics at the end of the day 16 years old don't get tested in the IPF. I know anytime I lift my crappy weights some drug tester may want me to pee in a cup.

4. The federation division also presents a huge problem for the sport as the strongest people may not necessarily be at the Olympics. I know that I am under the International Weightlifting Fed, the Oceania WL Fed, and the Australian Weightlifting Fed, I am compared against every other lifter under the same federation. The IPF lifters at the Olympic may not be the best in the sport.

Powerlifting IS an underground sport, and it always will be.

What really makes me laugh is that power lifters are so angry about not being acknowledged in the Olympics. Your sport is your sport, play it with pride and to **** with what competitions you can go to. The Olympics is a buisness now.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    there are people out there that believe powerlifting is the same as oly lifting. I would like to see pl in the olympics to simply educate people if nothing else.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Lol, so the fact they test and bust people gets them excluded. That is SOOOOO stupid! Evidently the IOC would prefer the dirty little secret of drug use to go on a little more behind the scenes much like it does at the Olympics.
    I agree. As if there aren't any sports in the olympicss where the athletes don't do drugs. I guess the IPF should stop busting its athletes.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Wannabebig Member
    People should just get together create a counter-Olympics that's totally untested. Which one you think people would watch? And the only difference between them would be one has athletes on old school AAS and GH and the other one would have athletes on the latest undetectable AAS + gene doping.

I would like to see it in the olympics just because it has the potential to unite the sport 10 or 15 years down the road -- more people will want to compete in the federation thats represented in the olympics. I'm willing to bet that whatever rules and standards are in the olympics other lifters will gravitate towards using eventually. The older guys probably won't cause they won't want to see their totals go down but they won't be around forever; the younger guys would get roped in.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Bench America was the coolest thing ever because I was on it. Seriously, that was one of my favorite moments/accomplishments in my pl career. I'd rather see real pro pl before pl in the Olympics. I want the athletes getting paid.
    Really I didnt know that. That must have been a great experience.

I wouldnt have known who you were though back then cause that was like when i first got into powerlifting,i was benching like 295 back then Lol.

I would Definately watch this again if it was on tv,or like do you remember the 2000 moantaineer cup where eddy coan and scott smith competed?

that was a great show, it was on espn if this stuff came on tv whether on espn, spike, or the olympics, i would watch it and not just from a powerlifting point of view.

Like i was saying i was not a powerlifter when i first seen bench america but when i seen little 165 lbs guys benching like 550 and the heavier guys benching 650 700 i was hooked.

The way it was presented and everything was just so cool to me.I think with the right promoting Powerlifting can be really interesting to watch.
    Last edited by Erik 23; 12-21-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Trouble seems to be getting the right person to promote it to the media world. We need someone with an excellent mind for business in a big scale. Similar to what Dana White did with the UFC. if it never happens though I'm not losing any sleep over it