Thread: Decrease in Lifting Ability

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Decrease in Lifting Ability

Hey, I am 19 years old and have been lifting pretty heavily and almost daily for about a year. I would say I am pretty big for my size and very lean. Though, in about the past 3 weeks, I have not been lifting nearly as much as I have been (especially in relation to my chest and shoulders). I noticed at the start of the three weeks, the weight I was able to lift decreased very minorly though it continued. I did get pretty bad strep throat for over a week which restricted me to being able to eat fully and well. I'm also in college and I took a decent amount of adderall to study for my exams which very much decreased my appetite (some days I would only eat maybe two very small portions of food, I know it was stupid). I also ran out of my protein which I was taking daily in about the last two weeks. Now, I am back to my normal lifestyle, taking protein, eating pretty healthily and not lifting nearly as much as I was about a month ago. I also do not really notice a decrease in my muscle mass. Can anybody please help offer advice as to what has happened, or what is happening, and will I recover my strength? Thanks

possible over training? what is your workout schedule?

Wannabebig New Member
    I do chest and triceps, next day I do biceps and back, and the next day I do shoulders. In between I work out my legs and abs but I don't think overlifting is the answer because I've been doing this cycle for a long time.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    overtraining it sounds like. take some times off and dont hit your front delts (i.e. with chest and shoulder days) so close together. the longer you do this the more youve overtrained.

you will get stronger again but you have to change things up.

Banned
    Did you lose weight? After a lay off you can lose some if you don't keep up the calories, which you didn't. I can't see how you could maintain your weight eating like that and getting sick.

My bet would be getting your bodyweight back up to where it was and then worry about what you are lifting.

I don't think its over training.
    Last edited by Reko; 12-20-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm not sure if I lost weight. It doesn't look like I lost any muscle mass but I more than likely lost some fat. I'm wondering if it's because of a big lack of protein.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by agon409 View Post
    I'm not sure if I lost weight. It doesn't look like I lost any muscle mass but I more than likely lost some fat. I'm wondering if it's because of a big lack of protein.
    Well if you would step on the scale it would be pretty obvious if you lost any or not. Weight lost is weight lost. Doesn't matter what it is. Eating two small meals a day probably kept you below maintenance, in which case you probably lost weight.