The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: ME bench tips

Hybrid View

TJW

ME bench tips

So, I'm currently running Westside for Skinny Bastards(original template) because of recommendations on this board and I need a little help for my next wave. Monday I will be starting my 3rd wave(each 3 weeks long) and I'm not sure what ME lift to do. For my first cycle I did regular bench working up to 3 rep maxes, for my second cycle I did close-grip bench also wokring up to a 3RM.

For this cycle, I was thinking about doing a 2 board press(just got boards, used to use a phone book). I don't have too much experience with board presses, but after doing a search here, and reading articles on EliteFTS, I saw that 1 board and 2 board were the best bets for a raw bencher. 1 board seemed too similar to regular so that is what led to 2 board. So, what I am looking for are suggestions for my work out since I don't have much experience with boards.

For background, I have been lifting seriously for the last 1.5 yrs, my 1RM for bench was 225(hit it just before starting this program 6 weeks ago). Last monday, I hit 195x3 on close grip. Hopefully this helps, if you need me to post my proposed work out, just let me know. Thanks for all the help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    1 or 2 board would be a good choice - go to it and let us know how it goes.

TJW
    I know the best way is to just try it and see, but how much more should I expect to bench with 1 board? 2 board? Just want to figure out how I should set up my warm ups to work up to a 3RM. Is there anything else technique wise I should know about? I'm really excited to use boards finally and hopefully I will be able to take a video tomorrow of my lifts so I can get some tips. Thanks for any help.

If you're doing Westside you should have a few ME exercises anyway. Have one of them be a 1 board and another be a 2 board. Best of luck. Look forward to some video.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    If you're doing Westside you should have a few ME exercises anyway. Have one of them be a 1 board and another be a 2 board. Best of luck. Look forward to some video.
    Thanks for the advice, maybe I will do 2 board this cycle, then try and accomplish the same weights on a 1 board, then try it without the boards there. I wasn't sure how many exercises I should pick since its the WS4SB variation and it doesn't follow all of the Westside principles.

After working up to a 3RM, would it be okay to to do some speed work(never have before)? I was thinking 6 sets of 3 reps with 55%, and up the weight each week, just to get a little speed work in. The program usually calls for dumbbell work but I don't have any dumbbells at my house and I'm on break from school. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, maybe I will do 2 board this cycle, then try and accomplish the same weights on a 1 board, then try it without the boards there. I wasn't sure how many exercises I should pick since its the WS4SB variation and it doesn't follow all of the Westside principles.

After working up to a 3RM, would it be okay to to do some speed work(never have before)? I was thinking 6 sets of 3 reps with 55%, and up the weight each week, just to get a little speed work in. The program usually calls for dumbbell work but I don't have any dumbbells at my house and I'm on break from school. Thanks for the help.

You can still change exercises each time or maybe go 2 weeks on each one, you could go 2bd, then incline then flat, but thats up to you.

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    You can still change exercises each time or maybe go 2 weeks on each one, you could go 2bd, then incline then flat, but thats up to you.
    I had thought about adding incline but I wasn't sure how much carryover there was to flat bench. Right now, I have done flat and close grip, and I am thinking about adding 2 board and 1 board. I had also thought about doing wide grip and pause every rep to work on getting the weight off my chest. Does incline have much carryover? Thanks for the help.

I had thought about adding incline but I wasn't sure how much carryover there was to flat bench. Right now, I have done flat and close grip, and I am thinking about adding 2 board and 1 board. I had also thought about doing wide grip and pause every rep to work on getting the weight off my chest. Does incline have much carryover? Thanks for the help.
    incline i am not sure really, i dont do it much it hurts my shoulders, but different grips and pausing are good also. Anything with a little change but still close to flat bench will work.1,2 board, you can use different grips on boards also.

Wannabebig Member
    So, I'm currently running Westside for Skinny Bastards(original template) because of recommendations on this board and I need a little help for my next wave. Monday I will be starting my 3rd wave(each 3 weeks long) and I'm not sure what ME lift to do. For my first cycle I did regular bench working up to 3 rep maxes, for my second cycle I did close-grip bench also wokring up to a 3RM.

For this cycle, I was thinking about doing a 2 board press(just got boards, used to use a phone book). I don't have too much experience with board presses, but after doing a search here, and reading articles on EliteFTS, I saw that 1 board and 2 board were the best bets for a raw bencher. 1 board seemed too similar to regular so that is what led to 2 board. So, what I am looking for are suggestions for my work out since I don't have much experience with boards.

For background, I have been lifting seriously for the last 1.5 yrs, my 1RM for bench was 225(hit it just before starting this program 6 weeks ago). Last monday, I hit 195x3 on close grip. Hopefully this helps, if you need me to post my proposed work out, just let me know. Thanks for all the help.
    Thanks for the idea now I can use a phone book (: hmm I wonder how many boards that's equal to?

TJW
    I put a thinner phone book on top of our white pages and it came out to just under 3". So, based off of that, I'm pretty sure that is 2 boards.

Habingus
    Incline works, so does floor press, if your going to do speed work I would do it on your other upper body day although Defranco doesn't suggest "skinny bastards" use it, instead of doing speed work you could just do some rep work with the barbell, sets of 10+ reps, 50% is a good place to start.

TJW
    Yeah, right now I am doing the rep work on Fridays. My first 3 week cycle was 3x8 with 135 paused. Then for my second cycle I did 3x5 and upped the weight each week. Neither or those two seemed to help too much. Right now i am going with 8 sets of 3 reps so that I have some heavier weights in my hands even though it is my rep day. I saw on another forum that this would be a better idea and have more carryover to my heavy monday workouts and eventually my 1RM. Just wanted to get some opinions because I am always tweaking to see what works. I mean, this is based off westside, so I figure switching things up is necessary. So I guess this thread is two parts now. On my ME Bench day, I plan on using 2 board, working up to a 3RM. How much more should I expect to press than flat? Even if I am a skinny bastard, would it be ok next week to use a 1 board instead of 2?

Next, on my rep day, should I do 8x3, 8x3 speed work, 3x8, or 3x5? I know I should experiment, and thus far I have not noticed a big carryover from 3x8 or 3x5. I know this seems redundant, I just don't want to be wasting time and I know there are some experienced lifters here so I want to get everyone's opinion. Thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming.

Habingus
    You need to give it time, speed work isn't going to help you. Do rep work twice a week, once after your max effort work, once on your second upperbody day. The way Defranco has been doing it lately is, 5RM, 3RM, 1RM then he switches exercises, I don't know when he deloads but every fourth week seems likely.

TJW
    Dingus, thanks for that quick reply. I figured speed work wouldn't help me too much, but I just wanted to make sure. I already do a set of about 8 after I work up to a max, but I'll continue to do more rep work on Fridays. Is it a bad idea to do 8x3, or is it okay for this cycle? I just thought it would change things up. Thanks for all the help.

Dingus, thanks for that quick reply. I figured speed work wouldn't help me too much, but I just wanted to make sure. I already do a set of about 8 after I work up to a max, but I'll continue to do more rep work on Fridays. Is it a bad idea to do 8x3, or is it okay for this cycle? I just thought it would change things up. Thanks for all the help.
    The only problem with 8x3 is you will have 2 heavy bench days a week that is to much sometimes, but if you are making gains keep doing it. Higher reps will help you in the long run, but it is good to mix it up.

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    The only problem with 8x3 is you will have 2 heavy bench days a week that is to much sometimes, but if you are making gains keep doing it. Higher reps will help you in the long run, but it is good to mix it up.
    Well, after reading Jim Wendler's article on EliteFTS again, I will take your advice and do 3x8, starting with 60% or my max. Regarding my board work, should I have been able to do more weight if my max is 225? I think it has to do with the fact that my 225 was not paused and my board work wasn't bounced and more controlled. Next week, I think I am going to stick with the 2 board, and after reading AJ Roberts article, do some 4 board work afterwards to work on my lockout. Let me know what you guys think. Still trying to get some of the big benchers to chime in.

Well, after reading Jim Wendler's article on EliteFTS again, I will take your advice and do 3x8, starting with 60% or my max. Regarding my board work, should I have been able to do more weight if my max is 225? I think it has to do with the fact that my 225 was not paused and my board work wasn't bounced and more controlled. Next week, I think I am going to stick with the 2 board, and after reading AJ Roberts article, do some 4 board work afterwards to work on my lockout. Let me know what you guys think. Still trying to get some of the big benchers to chime in.

Your probably just not used to 2bd, and you might of kind of paused like you said that would make it harder, I can do probably around 30 more pounds on a 2bd, When you max where do you stick at? right off chest or at lockout, mid way?

on more thing on your 3x8 leave a rep or 2 in each set to start off with, then add a rep each workout.

TJW
    Well, I just finished my workout and I'm pretty happy with the results. I wasn't sure what weight I should go for seeing as how this was my first work out focusing on board work. I decided to go with a 2 board and started using it with 135 as I was warming up, just to get some last minute practice with the boards. My sets went like this:

barx10
    95x8
    add 2 board
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2- last rep was a grinder but my spotter didn't touch the bar
    205x3

The last time I maxed, I got 225 but really had to grind it out halfway through the rep. So, should I have been able to lift more off the 2 board then I did? Will I be able to get more, the more comfortable I am with boards? Just want to get some opinions. Next week, I'm not sure whether or not to shoot for 3 reps, up the weight, or try the same weight with 1 board. Let me know what you guys think. BTW, it felt nice finally being able to use boards.

TJW
    When I maxed, I got stuck about 4 or 5 inches off my chest. That's why I figured the 2 board would work because it's 3" thick. The best part about the board work last night, was that the weight didn't seem nearly as heavy as when I maxed. Regarding the rep work, in my first cycle, I finished with 3x8x135 paused. Since my cycles are 3 weeks long, should I start with 3x8x135 paused and add weight or add reps? Let me know, and hopefully more people with let me know how much more they get out of their board work.

I wouldnt pause myself, maybe just once in awhile on ME day. You can add weight or reps, just add weigth if you can stay at least 8 reps.

TJW
    Any other tips on my board work? Hopefully this monday I will get a video so everyone has a better idea of what I can improve on.

first off i would recomend the book "tao of B" by glen b. off of elite.fts, it is a great book

now, on boards pause each rep at top for about 2 seconds and change boards and grips often. close grip 2 boards is one of my favorite tricep builders. try 3-5 sets of 5 as an accessory movement.

my max effort recomendations for a raw bencher
    floor press+chains or bands if you have them
    close grip icline
    foam or carpet press-just roll up some foam or carpet on chest
    cambered bar bench if you have one
    deload week- 3 sets to failure on heavy db press
    kettlebells or weights hanging off of bar by bands-pause at top and bottom.

push ups with chains and bands or on blast straps for higher explosive reps are great any time

standing overhead db and barbell presses will help also

dont give up on speed work it really helps to train your central nervous system to blow the weight up. for newbies this can just be 3x10 clapping push ups
    or throwing medicine balls. you must learn push heavy weights fast and tight.