The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Musclemicks journal

1) Current calorie intake and protein intake. If you don't know, don't answer.
    3300 calories/day. 50% Protein 30% Carbs 20% Fat

2) Do you have any current injuries going into this? We are unable to diagnose or treat, so basically anything that'll prevent you performing certain exercises..
    Left achillies has been playing up for a couple of weeks but it's feeling better now just had to lay off calves and now I'm easing back in.

3) The program will for the most part be performed using basic barbell and dumb-bell exercises - is your exercise selection limited i.e. poorly equipped home gym etc?
    Everythings pretty set up at my gym

4) How many days training can you commit to? And what days are they?

Ill be training monday, tuesday, thursday, friday.
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Alright guys to start with I'd like to apologise about the late starting of my journal and very few posts. This weeks been hectic working 12 hour days aswell as hitting the gym and helping my missus prepare to fly over to the U.S!

But I'm onto it now I'll be writing up an excel spread sheet this afternoon with my program on it to take note of what weights I lift etc. I done 6+2+2+2 on my previous thursday workout for close grip bench and dips just to have a feel.

I work a lot of hours/week and when I'm not at work I'm at the gym but I'll update as often as I can.

My lifting stats are in my signature. Current BW is about 113kg @ 22% bf. Aiming to lose weight whilst maintaining muscle.

Each morning I have 3g of fish oil, 1500mg of glucosamine, and 1 multi-vitamin. Each night I have the same minus the multi-v

Mick - over and out.
    Last edited by musclemick; 02-20-2010 at 12:25 AM.

My first question to Paul - and by the way I appreciate your help mate and I'll be following your journal.
    Can you please critique my daily diet?

6am breakfast - 2 whole eggs, 1 cup of egg whites. Scrambled in a fry pan using olive oil and 150ml of skim milk.
    Protein shake - 275ml skim milk and 1 scoop of ON whey

9:45am snack - 1 red apple, 2 rice crackers with 1 Tbs of 100% natural peanut butter and 2 slices of jarlsberg lite cheese, 350g of low fat cottage cheese

1pm lunch - 55g dry weight wholemeal pasta (200g cooked weight) with 200g raw weight chicken or turkey breast

4pm snack - 1 medium size banana approx 6"

5/6ish - Pre workout shake - 20g dextrose, 1 scoop gatorade powder (16g of carbs), half tea spoon B-Alanine, tea spoon of creatine with water

7:30/8ish - Post workout shake - 20g dextrose, 1 scoop ON whey. With water

9ish dinner - 400g lean rump steak/chicken breast/turkey, 250g vegies (brocolli, corn, beans) - with herbs and spices

Thats pretty much what I eat day in day out.

And here is my plan of attack - What do you think Paul?

A - Monday
    Weighted chins - Pronated grip
    Bent over bb row
    BB bench press
    Standing BB military press
    Dips
    B - Tuesday
    Squat
    Full deadlift (I don't mind doing deads after squats as my deadlift is far superior to my squat)
    Standing Calf raise
    BB curls
    Abs
    A - Thursday
    Weighted chins - Pronated grip
    T bar rows
    BB bench press or BB Incline press
    Seated DB press
    Close grip BP
    B - Friday
    Full deadlift
    45* Leg press
    Seated calf raise or 45* cr
    EZ Curls
    Abs

If time permits I'll do 20-30 minutes moderate to high intensity cardio on days A (monday and thursday)

Please feel free to comment

Hey mate.

If you are really getting 400+ grams of protein a day I would recommend you lower that to the ~250 range and bump your calories from carbs and maybe fats a tad.

Protein is a poor energy bargain after you meet your dietary req for muscle reparation and growth. I think with an increase in carbs your gym performance will increase and you will be able to retain more LBM and strength on lowered cals.

Carbohydrates are actually more protein sparing than protein itself is. Funny how that works out huh?

All the best, will be following along and making sure you are on the right path..

SICK deadlift btw!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

good luck bro.. and yeah.. awesome deadlift

Routine does look good btw =)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Thanks guys bout the deadlift... But I've actually hit 550lbs now :-D And thanks with that advice Paul. A guy at my gym that I train with occasionally (personal trainer and amateur body builder) recommended a ketogenic diet to lose some quick body fat. I need to get down to 12% which is a loss of approx. 10% bf as quick as possible. But I don't know if I should follow his advice.
    Friday night I'll post up my first 3 workouts

Mick
    Last edited by musclemick; 02-23-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Hi Mick, first off how's the training going? Clearly you can lift, so if there's anything you need from me about the program then just post here.

About the ketogenic diet (whichever version your friend's recommending), you don't have to follow the diet advice given with the program, but clearly based on the number of guys here who didn't have a plan and for the many that won't when this program is finally released, a strategy was needed. If you have the knowledge and application to do it another way, go for it.

However if you're at 20%+ bf and looking to lose 10% you are going to suffer doing it quickly. Clearly this is going to be in stark contrast to your current eating habits, it's going to hurt! Not only will you suffer psychologically doing pretty much the opposite of what you've been doing up 'til now, but you're going to suffer the double whammy of losing a fair bit of strength, not just because you're in a large deficit, but also because you'll be losing the improved leverage your current bodyweight offers. Because this'll be happening faster than you can adapt to the training (which'll be slow because of the diet), your mind will be begging you to give up. Can you handle that?

If yes, then also consider that the aim of this program is size through strength and that means progression, if you follow the keto diet, given how much fat you need to lose (10% of your bodyweight no less) progression will be minimal, if at all.

If you were closer to your goal, I'd say have at it, but you are miles off.

You don't say how quickly nor why you need to get to 12%bf, but at a normal deficit, as our diet prescribes and for 12 weeks you could easily be losing 2lbs+ a week (it'll slow as you get closer to your goal), which at the end of program could have you close to your goal, at least within a few pounds/percent.

Or you can ignore this advice and prove me wrong. Hopefully Paul will drop in and add another perspective, but in parting just remember that you need a goal and train and eat accordingly, given the nature of this program are your planned efforts directed toward that goal?

I would agree with Daniel wholeheartedly. Theres no doubt that a ketogenic would have you lose weight but it is VERY hard to maintain, damn it's tough enough just trying to hit calorie, protein, carb and fat numbers everyday, keep food sources clean AND do cardio and hit the weights hard and given that you are 20% I would say that a CKD would be too big a jump to maintain consistently.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Thanks guys. I needed that advice/2nd opinions. I think I'll keep trying to eat clean and lower my calories a bit. I eat real good through the weeks it's just weekends that are killers - to much fast food.

I need to get down to 12% because I think thats where I want to be before I lean up to compete in october/november some time. I can't remember the exact date.

Also I tried to just clean up my diet and I was a good boy for a couple of weeks - but then I started snacking **** food during the day and then fast food on weekends. Now I feel like a failed badly at that attempt. How do I get past that feeling of failure? Try again and don't fail? Kick the diets ass and don't let it beat me?

Thanks again guys

Sorry about not posting my journal up yet guys - had a real busy week working lots of hours and barely having time for the gym although I did squeeze in 3 workouts. Next week I'll do 3 workouts (b, a, b) then jump back to 4 days/week.

Here's this weeks training, all final set had the 3x2 -
    Monday 22/2/10
    Weighted chins (all weights are +body weight in kg) 6 @ 2.5kg, 5kg, 7.5kg final set
    bent over bb row overhand - 6 @ 80, 90, 95 final set
    BB flat bench - 6 @ 100, 105, 110 final set
    military bb press - 6 @ 60, 65, 67.5 final set
    dips (weights + bw) - 6 @ 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10kg final set

wednesday -
    squat - 6 @ 80, 90, 100 final set
    deadlift - 160, 180 final set
    standing calf raise - 80, 85, 90 on smith machine
    bb bicep curls - 30, 40, 45 final set
    sprinter crunch - bw, 2kg, 3kg/per hand

friday -
    weighted chins - 6@ bw, 2.5, 7.5, 10kg final set all +bw
    T bar row - 6 @ 90, 100, 110 (last set was really heavy)
    seated db shoulder press - 6 @ 30, 32.5, 35kg
    BB incline press - 6 @ 70, 80, 90
    close grip bench - 6 @ 60, 70, 80, 90

Next week I'll update more regularly

Alright here's this weeks workout log - Workouts b, a and b. Next week I start training 4 days/week again :-)
    Bodyweight this week - 114.1kg
    Listed weights are work sets of 6 - all final sets are 2+2+2 - and all weights are in kg
    Tuesday 2/3/10
    Front squat - 70, 75, 80
    stiff leg deadlift - 120, 140, 150
    calf raise on 45 leg press - 150, 200 then backed it off to 180 as 200 was heavy and didn't feel as good a squeeze
    standing db screw curls - 20, 22.5, 25kg / hand
    cable crunch - 80kg or something but felt **** so im changing to weighted crunches or possible leg raises

wednesday -
    weighted chins (+bw) - bw, 2.5, 5, 7.5 final set
    bent over bb row - 80, 90, 97.5
    bb flat bench press - 90, 100, 110
    bb military press - 60, 65, 67.5 - was a really heavy final set and ill sit on this weight for another week or two
    dips - 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10

friday
    squat - 80, 90, 100, 105 - was a good weight and kept my form tight aswell as pausing on the bottom. I have major form issues on squats thats why Im going so light and working my way up - big quads, big leg press but sad squat!
    deadlift - 160, 170, 182.5
    standing cr on smith - 60, 80, 85
    bb bicep curls - 30, 40, 45
    sprinter crunches - bw, 2, 3 (these were supersets with my biceps as I only had 5 minutes til the gym shut!)

Notes on this week:
    Weight increase a slow if any as I'm almost maxed on most my lifts. Increases should come a bit more quickly in the next few weeks as I get into the routine a bit more steadily and train 4 days/week. Weigh myself tomorrow morning to see if I lost any weight this week. Hopefully 500g, which is approx 1.1lb

Musclemick over and out!
    Last edited by musclemick; 03-07-2010 at 06:05 AM.

Hey buddy, good job on squeezing those workouts in whilst being busy at work, I know how it goes.

Am I right that your main goal with this is to lean up? If so, don't get so worried when you don't make strength gains because as you lean up you're going to find this more difficult to keep progressing week in, week out and there will be weeks when you feel a bit weak. But, with some of the tricks Paul has up his sleeve he'll be able to keep you progressing and leaning up I am sure.

how is the diet going?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Laaaaaaaate post. Sorry to the guys who organised the training etc just had a lot of stuff going on in my life and haven't been able to update my journal. Unfortunately my father passed away last week so I've been spending a lot of time with my family. Still training but no time to post my workouts. Gotta bail now but I'll update on the weekend. Mick

Sorry to hear that Mick, condolences to you and your family.

Tough break, sorry to hear that. Good luck to you and your family.

I'm really sorry to hear that Mick, my thoughts are with you and your family....

Thanks for that guys. Been trying to get a lot of stuff organised with my fathers death as he died in his home country of Croatia. It's been constant phone calls to endless results trying to even just get a death certificate - which we still don't have.

Anyway apologies for not posting up my journal - just haven't had time with everything.

Programs ****in bad ass tho! I'll try and get my **** together and post some **** up