The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Pauly, Latty, Franco, Adam, Ballast

this is a preemptive thank you for clicking,

ive been in the gym for about a year and a half, little more (occasional breaks, sleep etc) basically trying out routines and always changing, just couldnt find my niche. now to the point of my thread, i started getting a bit more interested in powerlifting and then i stumbled upon your westside training, the theory behind it looked good but ill be damned if i can work out my own routine, is it possible to get a little help with this, pm me if its not too much trouble. ive read a few of your training logs, and adams article, been to the elitefts site, i think it was a nine week routine by dave tate, i think paul did it as well. would this be good to follow. basically i want something solid and a bit hardcore that i can stick to. any help with with totally changing my priorities would be greatly appreciated. thanks,

McBain

anything you can throw at me will be helpful
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd help you but you didn't ask me.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Adam wrote a good article - it's on the WBB site under 'training'.

There is also a great article at t-mag - the periodization bible part 2.

I started the 9 week program, got 4 weeks into it, and had to stop (due to work, not the trianing). When I got back from the layoff, I used the 9 week program as a starting point, but adjusted it a bit.

As long as you get the ME and De stuff down you'll be OK.

Try posting an example week.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

The important thing with Westside is to find your optimal volume.

This is reinforced by the information in Supertraining, which the concept was developed from-- volume needs to be managed by inclusion of SPP lifts, not the competitve lifts. The Dynamic and Maximal work needs to stay consistent, but by fluctuating the assistance work, you can find your workable level and go from there.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

you know as i shut down ther computer last night i thought of you powermandl, and i cursed myself for not including you.
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Try to set up your own routien by basing in off what other people have done. Always have speed work (DE) and max effort work(ME)
    Like powerman said if the volume is too much drop some assistance and not DE or ME lifts. If your still confused by the program just start the 9 week one from elitefts.com and once you get the hang of it change the excercises around to suit your goals and/or equipment.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

thanks a lot, so is the best way to work out max effort buy doing 3 rep sets, then keep upping the weight for 1 rep sets?

i just went to elitefts and read some t-mag articles, im going to follow the nine week program and see how it goes.

-Shane

can someone explain the boardpress or the one arm press, also box squats, i think im going to have to change gyms.

-Shane

For max effort you work up to a heavy triple then go to singles and go til you fail.
    Board press is when you lay multiple boards on your chest and press off of them instead of your chest, the boards are 18 inches long about 6 wide and 2 thick.
    Im guessing the one arm press is overhead dumbell but im not sure
    box squats are simply squats done off of a box, for box squat form check my article, i wrote how to do them near the bottom.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

thanks a lot, the 4 days in the 9 weeks plan are just day 1, day 2 etc, how many days inbetween would be normal?

-Shane

Have your ME day 3 days after your DE day.
    Ex. Tuesday speed bench, friday max effort bench

thanks a lot, ill hit the gym soon and probably start a journal, keep you posted.

-Shane

I'm in my 11th week of Westside, and it is the most productive training routine I have ever used.My progress is almost constant.Of all the articles I've read on Westside, I think Adam's was one of the best and my routine was based off his recomendations.Here is another article I found that does a good job outlining the basics without being confusing:

http://www.musclemonthly.com/article...werlifting.htm
    "I figure, f*ck it.While I'm at it, why not just shoot my buddy.Take his job.Give it to his sworn enemy.Hike up gas prices.Bomb a village.Club a baby seal.Hit the hash pipe and join the national guard.I could be elected president."

thanks, i found that one, is it the elitefts newsletter, anyway with a few smaller things cleared up by PowermanDL im realdy to start this week. i was just thinking before, ive been out of the gym for a little while, a few weeks. should i maybe take a week or so and just do a couple of full body workouts, just to get back into it?

-Shane

You could do some full body's if you wanted to but you dont need to

one more thing; i havent bought one of those fat weight belts before, ive never had a whole lot of use, im hearing that its probably better to have one with all this heavy good mornings and squats. also flat sole shoes, are they worth it, will chuck taylors do the job?

-Shane

I only use the belt in comp. Now they dont use belts at westside even on ME days.
    chucks are really good shoes for squating

so you dont think i need to worry about the belt, i just thought i could recall in an article that when squatting to 'press on the belt' thanks for that, now ive just gotta find a pair of chuckies.

-Shane

Bespoke Super Mod
    Latty has a pair of chucks and he say's that they are excellent.

You'd be better off by strengthning your abs (static work), lower back Mcbain
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

I've seen them recommend wearing your belt for box squats to learn how to push into it.

I put my belt on for the first time this year yesterday to do some deadlifts, heavy grip work, and farmers walks.

I'll probably wear it for ME low box squats, and pulls. Certainly not for good mornings, and not for speed work.

I suppose if I do some heavy rows or something like that I might wear it.

The main key with the shoes is a flat sole and not rolling over. I have a pair of nikes that work just fine. (I can't wear Chucks because I use orthodics, and they would tear through the canvas.

A 1 arm press is a one arm overhead press. Ego busters. Start lighter than you think you should.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    For a while I was wearing my belt extra tight on almost everything. Now I wear it on my heaviest sets, but I wear it loose. I do this just to practice and make sure every set I am pushing into the belt. I could probably slip my whole arm between me and the belt, so you know it's not too tight.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL