The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Do you go to the Chiropractor?

With all the heavy Squats, Dead Lifts, Presses, etc.. going on around here do guys ever go to the bone crusher to get everything put back in place? I go every 1-3 months depending on how I feel. So, what do you do when your neck, back, or hip is bothering you?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

every now and then. i can't afford it, or i'd do it once a month.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Once a month to a Chiro guy who also does ART. In the interim I make love to a foam roller.

Banned
    Yes - I'm sponsored by one. He's a Godsend.

I should but I don't

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

every 2 weeks.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I've only been when I know something is bothering me. I don't trust my chiropracter enough to go just for the hell of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I've only been when I know something is bothering me. I don't trust my chiropracter enough to go just for the hell of it.
    The one I go to helps with rehab and soft tissue work as well. Find one with access to a cold laser and ultrasound who also does graston and ART - they are worth their weight in gold.
    Last edited by Ben Moore; 12-23-2008 at 05:36 PM.

What do you guys pay? There is a local guy here for 20 bucks that is pretty good. He does a few different things with heat and some machine on your back. My knee's sound like rice krispies when I squat but I haven't ask about that yet.

If your knees sound like rice crispies go see a doctor. I pay a 20 dollar copay for my chiro. You could also just have some muscular imbalances that stretching and mobility work will fix. Make freinds with a foam roller, stretch your IT band, warm up properly. You could also check out the Magnificent Mobility DVD.

Save your money and spend it on a proper deep tissue massage.

When you train, you tear down muscle and rebuild it, in this process scar tissue is formed, and it needs to worked away with force and pressure. how anyone figured out making some popping noise would fix that is beyond me.

I am fortunate enough to come from a very well off supportive family, I have tried alot of different stuff chiropractors do nothing but pop my back, make me feel good for the day and that's it. Deep massage on the other hand, with release and trigger point work is beyond worth it. The results are instant and last a long time, I gained a good 3 inches of squat depth when i got my legs done.

A foam roller is more useful than a chiro.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    The one I go to helps with rehab and soft tissue work as well. Find one with access to a cold laser and ultrasound who also does graston and ART - they are worth their weight in gold.
    This precisely describes the guy I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

When you train, you tear down muscle and rebuild it, in this process scar tissue is formed, and it needs to worked away with force and pressure. how anyone figured out making some popping noise would fix that is beyond me.

I am fortunate enough to come from a very well off supportive family, I have tried alot of different stuff chiropractors do nothing but pop my back, make me feel good for the day and that's it. Deep massage on the other hand, with release and trigger point work is beyond worth it. The results are instant and last a long time, I gained a good 3 inches of squat depth when i got my legs done.

Not all chiro's just crack your back and ****. In fact, the guy I see hasn't ever done any adjustments on me. Lots of Graston, ultrasound and electro-stim acupuncture.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    If your knees sound like rice crispies go see a doctor. I pay a 20 dollar copay for my chiro. You could also just have some muscular imbalances that stretching and mobility work will fix. Make freinds with a foam roller, stretch your IT band, warm up properly. You could also check out the Magnificent Mobility DVD.
    What is a foam roller? I have been doing more to warm up and stretch lately. A lot with my hamstrings and hips like in Squat Rx. My knee's sound like that even without weight when I squat. I will have to make a doctor appt.

I just checked in my area and found a place that does deep tissue massage $70 for 1 hour. I will have to scrape up some cash and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    What is a foam roller? I have been doing more to warm up and stretch lately. A lot with my hamstrings and hips like in Squat Rx. My knee's sound like that even without weight when I squat. I will have to make a doctor appt.
    Google son.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...r_for_10_bucks

Sure if you've got the money.

Otherwise insurance normally isn't going to cover a deep tissue massage unless your on some pretty sweet coverage.

Going to the chiro on the other hand is usually easy to swing if you get referred.

I can handle the scar tissue on my own through lots of innovative ways, but spinal adjustment is a bit too much to do on your own....and when you have no clue what to do.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I took the advise of getting a foam roller http://www.performbetter.com/detail....tegoryID_E_235

And me and my girlfriend are getting deep tissue massage for valentines day so we'll see how that goes. Thanks guys.

Wannabebig Member
    yeah I pretty much got injured at work and get to go to one for free. workmans comp... ^_^... only i have a serious condition, so its not really that much of a blessing.

I went last summer and he fixed up my back pretty good. Just hurt it again though so I might have to get it adjusted again. I should probably get into the habit of going for maintenance visits every so often.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Pro Wrestling Champion Painlayer's Avatar
    Really need to but just dont have enough money for my co-pay right now. Up in michigan and all with the lay-offs going on in the auto industry it kinda hard.
    My enemies kneel before me in fear

Wannabebig Member
    Need to go bad

I'm really glad you guys told me about the foam roller. It seems to be helping so far. Some spots are really tight and painful so it was needed for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I'm really glad you guys told me about the foam roller. It seems to be helping so far. Some spots are really tight and painful so it was needed for sure.
    More pain the better, press hard on those sore spots and stay on them. Grind it down.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Usually after a heavy lower body work, I feel like I have 2 metal pipes in my back. I get on the foam roller for 15 minutes, screaming the entire time, and I get very little DOMS the next day, whereas if I didnt foam roll, i'd be a mess.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW