The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Raw bench press grip width

Pressing raw, am I generally better off with my pinky on the ring, or my index on the ring (max comp width). And I know it depends on the person, but generally what would the average person pressing raw be stronger with? If I am stronger with the medium grip, would I want to work on bringing it out or are most raw pressers using medium grips? I have been using index on the ring for a while now and I am strong at it, but I notice most of the people around me don't go that wide.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-24-2008 at 02:30 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    my wingspan is 6'0" and i use pinkies on the rings for raw, been doing indexes on the rings for shirted benching.

Banned
    I keep my pinkies on the ring for raw, and Shirted too. I used to go max width in the shirt, but it was more comfortable to keep it how it was. I don't know if you do speed work, but I'll switch grips every set so that each finger is on the rings at one point, and pinkies seems to be the "fastest" so I figured its my strongest.
    But like you said everyone is different. Worst case scenario you could try it out and see what is easiest from a benchign standpoint.

Banned
    It seems like a pretty individual thing, depending on body size and proportion and on where you're strongest (off the chest, lockout, etc.). A couple things to consider though, if you're lifting raw, a wide grip can be hard on the shoulders b/c you tend to flair your elbows earlier, and with a narrow grip, its easier (IMHO) to keep the elbows in close to the body and keep your upper back tight.

Ultimately, you should get stronger with a variety of grip positions. Then you'll know what's best for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    if you're lifting raw, a wide grip can be hard on the shoulders b/c you tend to flair your elbows earlier, and with a narrow grip, its easier (IMHO) to keep the elbows in close to the body and keep your upper back tight.
    Yup. A few months ago, my shoulder would bother me after benching. Back then, I always used the widest legal grip ( because that's what common sense would say given my long arms ). But, I experimented with moving my grip in about a inch each hand, my shoulders immediately felt better and I could press about 15 more pounds.

With raw it depends on your strengths and weaknesses. For me, pinkies on the second ring.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Yup. A few months ago, my shoulder would bother me after benching. .
    I am glad you posted this...it just connected the dots for me. I've had issues with my left shoulder for the last three years. Recently (last ~two months) I have narrowed my grip on BB bench...and the numbness that I was getting directly after benching is pretty much non-existent at this point. I still cant do OHP of any sort with out pain afterwords though.
    Last edited by borracho; 12-24-2008 at 02:47 PM.

I'm a small guy and I like to grip wide. My index fingers are on the rings... Maybe I'll move it in a few and see how it feels...
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Painzer View Post
    I'm a small guy and I like to grip wide. My index fingers are on the rings... Maybe I'll move it in a few and see how it feels...
    It's like Klotz said, it depends on your strengths and weaknesses. I happen to have pretty strong triceps and relatively weak shoulders ( somewhat caused by a 20 year old shoulder injury ), so moving it in makes sense for me (although I'm only talking like a inch on both sides). If you have strong shoulders compared to your triceps maybe it makes since for you to be wide.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 12-24-2008 at 04:29 PM.

I keep my ring finger's on the ring. This seems to be my happy medium between shorter ROM and being able to keep my elbows tucked.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

I've been keeping my ring finger on the ring, but I think that is what is holding me back from improving my bench this past year and a half.

Banned
    Do you lift more if you go wider?