Thread: Wanting to gain muscle mass and lose the gut

Wannabebig New Member

Wanting to gain muscle mass and lose the gut

Hey all - I've been lurking here for about two weeks now, and finally decided to post. My goals here are to gain muscle mass and lose my stomach fat. I am 17, about 6'1, and weight 165 (with a pretty big gut... at my most I was 205, lost the weight mainly by not eating enough... bad times...) I have been lifting in my room every other day, but am planning on getting serious and get a gym membership very soon cause I can't really work my legs in my house. I bought Nitrean and Creatine about a week ago and have been taking those. Do you guys have any tips/suggestions for a guy built like me with my goals? Any help is greatly appreciated.

hey man,
    your goals are exactly like mine. not eating much is a mistake, and i warn people against it.
    since it sounds like you already got some strength and weights going, i wouldn't waste too much time with a program such as Starting Strength. If you want to gain mass, look into the Bill Starr's 5x5 program. Excellent way to bulk up. As for the fat loss, I would say do cardio on days you don't lift, however some people will suggest that lowering the carbs/calories in your diet will be sufficient enough. Eat plenty every day (close to 3000 calories in 5-6 meals). People may have different opinions on that though.
    Also, look into some Protein Whey powder and Casein, those two are the most important for muscle development.

Gaining muscle mass requires eating a lot and training hard. Losing fat requires eating less and increasing cardio. That is how it works. Don't try to do both at once. It will make life much harder than it has to be.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    hey man,
    your goals are exactly like mine. not eating much is a mistake, and i warn people against it.
    since it sounds like you already got some strength and weights going, i wouldn't waste too much time with a program such as Starting Strength. If you want to gain mass, look into the Bill Starr's 5x5 program. Excellent way to bulk up. As for the fat loss, I would say do cardio on days you don't lift, however some people will suggest that lowering the carbs/calories in your diet will be sufficient enough. Eat plenty every day (close to 3000 calories in 5-6 meals). People may have different opinions on that though.
    Also, look into some Protein Whey powder and Casein, those two are the most important for muscle development.

dont forget, not everyone on the site know what they're talking about^^^

ouch. thats rough. what did i say wrong?

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Hey all - I've been lurking here for about two weeks now, and finally decided to post. My goals here are to gain muscle mass and lose my stomach fat. I am 17, about 6'1, and weight 165 (with a pretty big gut... at my most I was 205, lost the weight mainly by not eating enough... bad times...) I have been lifting in my room every other day, but am planning on getting serious and get a gym membership very soon cause I can't really work my legs in my house. I bought Nitrean and Creatine about a week ago and have been taking those. Do you guys have any tips/suggestions for a guy built like me with my goals? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Dude, if you're 6-1, 165 I find it hard to believe you have a "pretty big gut". You are a pipe cleaner at the moment. I wouldn't even worry about doing a whole lot of cardio, if any at all. If you clean up your diet, it a lot of good foods every day and train very hard you will gain mass and your gut will disappear, trust me son, at 17, that's just baby fat.

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    hey man,
    Why?

And size is a function of diet NOT routine.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-29-2008 at 02:42 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Why?

And size is a function of diet NOT routine.
    True, it is. However I don't like the concesus on how to train for bodybuilders around here. BBer's need to create an illusion, which requires a tiny waist. Some of the programs advocated commonly around here require too much core work (rippetoe) and therefore thicken the waist. Flame away lol.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

1. Don't worry about supplements until your diet is superawesome.

2. SQUAT

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klotz View Post
    1. Don't worry about supplements until your diet is superawesome.

2. SQUAT
    Ditto Klotz.