Thread: DB Flys Inhale while contracting?

DB Flys Inhale while contracting?

I was reading in a BB book "Built Hard", that during DB Flys you should inhale while lifting the DBs. I find this strange since it seems to be common sense that you should exhale during the lift of DB or BB Bench Presses.

Just wondering if anyone disagrees with inhaling during contraction with DB Flys.

Wannabebig Member
    I always exhale on the positive motion.

I can't imagine doing an exercise, inhaling while contracting. I know proper breathing is important while lifting so just do what comes naturally. I have gotten some MAJOR headaches from not breathing correctly.
    Last edited by |Iron|Man|; 04-11-2002 at 11:48 AM.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I really don't understand inhaling on contraction. Could you shed some light on what the book said after that...or the reasoning behind it.

I will only exhale on contraction you might die doing it the other way.HAHHAHAA
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Now that I read it a few more times I see that it is just not worded all that well:

"Inhale as you allow the weight to slowly bring your palms in an arc to a position outside and below your shoulder joints. Tighten [pecs] before you exhale, and return the weight slowly..."

"Built Hard" by Charlie Mann, foreward by Ken Norton.