Thread: working out alone (need help)

Wannabebig Member

working out alone (need help)

so im in a ridicilous situation right now. i got a dui, lost my license and live at home with my parents. i dont have any friends i can lift with, they are all at college. i have access to a fully functional gym with everything in it, just no one to lift with. and its not a situation where i can just ask someone at the the gym to give me a spot, i live in a tiny ass town with a hole in the wall 24/7 gym with no staff and essentially no members. this isnt a case where i dont want to do core lifts. i want to bench and squat, believe me thats bread and butter to me. i know how important it is and wouldnt neglect it if i had a choice. but working out alone the only core lift i feel i can safely do alone is deadlift. can anyone please give me advice on setting up an intense 3 day a week mass building weight training routine, in which a spotter would not be required for any of the lifts. im really desperate here, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by aaronm; 12-30-2008 at 12:09 AM.

Many people train alone. Get creative.

Set the mood right
    Is there no power rack there?
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

Wannabebig Member
    Do you have access to dumbbells?

You can do dumbbell press as a surrogate for bench press, and it's pretty easy to ditch the bar if you're doing a front squat.
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    // Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by starfox View Post
    Is there no power rack there?
    X2

I lift alone at home. Me and my power rack, the only friend I need.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    X2

I lift alone at home. Me and my power rack, the only friend I need.
    same here, i use half of my garage for my power rack, few dumbbells and thats it. you can do just about everything with a good rack and a barbell. be creative.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I lift alone. I only require a spotter when I 1RM on bench.

Your lifts seem pretty good. Why don't you just try lowering the weight until you feel comfortable/confident lifting alone?

I squat and bench in my powerrack without a spotter. The only time I will use my girlfriend as a spotter is if I am doing shirted presses a few weeks before a meet. Even when I was still working out at the commercial gyms, and needed a spot for a heavy set or so, the person would usually mess me up more than help. The bulk of my program are the three lifts and some of their variations.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Banned
    At some point, you know your limits and can train smart so that reps are never in doubt. The only time you'd need help is for max attempts.

I've never trained with a parnter. Never had an issue.
    Nick V

DB bench, db snactch, db clean to db squat, db ....the list goes on. Power Rack.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Banned
    Lifting alone must suck, the only way i can get through a workout is with my friend encouraging me to finish it, try getting some music to pump you up! not sure on the other lifts tho, DB flies, DB bench, curls, and yeah the power rack would be best if you have one for the bench squats etc.

Wannabebig Member
    this place is mainly used by old ladies. the equipment they have is a full range of dumbells and some various machines that really do nothing. the only kind of power rack they have is a smith machine, which ive never felt like ive got good results from at all. i dunno though, i guess on a smith machine i could load the weight up alot heavier than with dumbells, but theres not really any stablization involved so i dont think it would help with muscle growth much at all.
    Last edited by aaronm; 12-30-2008 at 12:28 PM.

I work out alone most of the time but there are people in the gym so i don't get lonely in there. I don't use any spotters but I keep track of the number of reps I do each session. That helps me to keep track of my limits and not to go all out. I use dumbbells for bench press instead of the barbell & I think it's a lot safer this way. If you can't get another rep, you can just put the dumbbells on the floor instead of lifting the barbell up onto its stand.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

If there is no power rack for squatting, just do front squats and dump the bar if you have to.

I was going to say maybe it is time to save for a power rack but I just noticed your 18 with a DUI already??
    So i'm sure that is where all of your money is going because DUI's are not cheap.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I was going to say maybe it is time to save for a power rack but I just noticed your 18 with a DUI already??
    So i'm sure that is where all of your money is going because DUI's are not cheap.
    no they arent, to the tune of a around $4,000. i only blew a .04 which is under the legal limit, but being under 21 any measurable amount is a dui. i wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

Unlucky on the DUI pal.

Can only echo the comments already on this thread about training alone. I train alone and you just have to know your limits with Benching etc. sometimes in the past when I did have a partner I would try and bench a little more than I should and would end up with the spotter taking some of the weight for me which is far from ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronm View Post
    no they arent, to the tune of a around $4,000. i only blew a .04 which is under the legal limit, but being under 21 any measurable amount is a dui. i wouldnt recommend it to anyone.
    Ya, that's rough man. You could have bought one sweet home gym. You seem pretty strong so I would just do like the others said and know your limits and do what you can while you have to. Before I bought my power rack I had to be really careful doing squats and benching. For squats I actually would use the back of my bench by getting under the bar and squatting it up.

get those stand alone squat stand things, how much can they be? $50? You can squat alone right? Just dump the bar if you have to. Bench is the only concern. Maybe rig something up on that gym's smith machine and take it down when your done so they dont see it. Other than that my only sugestion is to get building. Any spare lumber? Guy's on here have done that.