Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumping it up with 5/3/1

Pumping it up with 5/3/1

Decided to start a journal again, last one I had 'Time to get big' ended abruptly about 3 years ago thanks to girls and other distractions.

I started at about 170lbs in late 2004 and after a bulk got to 185lbs. Over the past 3 years I have bulked and cut with varying success and weight, peaking at 230lbs.

Below are a couple of pictures to show my progress from 170ish to 220ish.

I'm now 21, 6ft 4 and as of this morning I weigh 226 lbs my main goal is to weigh 240lbs by 1st April.

I'll be doing this by bumping up my cals from around 3500-3700 at present to 4500 and making sure I consume at least 250g of protein a day. I've been following a BB type routine for the past few years and have this week switched to the split below to try and include compounds such as squats, deads and pullups which I have neglected.

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    Pull-ups
    Bent over rows
    Chin ups
    Preacher Curls

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    Incline DB Bench
    Close Grip Bench
    Dips

Shoulder/Legs

DB Shoulder Press
    Lateral Raise
    Shrugs
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Hamstring Curls

The reason I started this journal is to keep track of the weights I'm lifting to try and keep tabs on my progress better. Also I hope that a few members will drop by and let me know if there is anything I should be changing to see maximum gains.

I'll be posting up my workouts each week as well as cardio as I play Football (Soccer) for a local team, any input, or even criticism of what I'm doing please speak up as although I've put on 50lbs over 4 years I think if I had focused a year or two ago I would be a lot bigger.

Thanks for reading, now it's time to get Big(ger).

28th December 2008

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 8
    155 x 6
    175 x 5
    200 x 4
    200 x 3

Incline DB Bench
    45 x 8
    55 x 6
    55 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5

Close Grip Bench
    90 x 8
    110 x 6
    110 x 5
    130 x 5
    130 x 4

Dips
    5 x 5 x BW

Crunches

12, 10, 8

Not bad, first workout of the new split. Can bench more I feel but don't have a spot. Not really 100% as to what to do with reps, I'm sort of trying to accumulate 25 reps over the 5 sets whether that be 5 x 5 or 6,6,5,4,3 etc. with incremental weights. It feels good and allows me to lift heavy so it should be ok...?

Found the dips quite hard going as I haven't done them for a long time. DB Bench felt feels like I can do a lot more but just easing myself in at the mo.

Quick note: As I'm in the UK I train using Kilograms (1KG = 2.2lbs) so sometimes my weights may look a bit weird when posted up in LBS.
    Last edited by mattburns; 01-17-2009 at 10:35 AM.

29th December 2008

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    6 x 155
    6 x 155
    5 x 220
    4 x 220
    4 x 265

Pull-ups
    4 x BW x 4

Bent over DB rows
    6 x 60
    6 x 70
    6 x 82.5
    6 x 90

Chin ups
    4 x BW x 6

Preacher Curls
    None

Pretty good DL's considering I haven't done them in at least a year, only thing was the bar I used was smooth at the point where I grip and I found my grip slipped on the last rep of 265. Found it VERY hard going on the pull ups and chin ups, really took it out of me and showed that although my back is strong my strength to bodyweight ratio is very poor.

Didn't even attempt preachers as my arms were nailed after the pulls, chins and rows. I still want to keep them in the split though as my arms are lacking so much I feel I need at least some isolation.

Felt fairly strong again today, I think in a few weeks I will have a realistic idea of my PB's on Bench/Deads/Squats as it's been so long that I did them consistently I don't have a clue what they are.

Diet has been good both days, I won't be using fitday everyday but yesterday I was about 4300 with 260g of protein.

Got ridiculous DOMS this morning, came on last night so I went to bed early and still really stiff now.

Gunna have the day off and concentrate on some Uni work then train legs/shoulders tomorrow.

Also got football training tonight at 6pm so gunna have to make sure I get plenty of carbs in this afternoon.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Mega-strong Deadlifting pal. You've made a hell of a lot of progress from that skinny kid in the first photo's
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

31st December 2008

Shoulder/Legs

DB Shoulder Press
    6 x 55
    6 x 60
    6 x 60
    4 x 65
    4 x 70

Lateral Raise
    6 x 20
    6 x 25
    6 x 30
    6 x 30

Shrugs
    8 x 155
    6 x 220
    6 x 220
    4 x 230

Squats
    6 x BAR
    6 x 45
    6 x 90
    4 x 130
    4 x 130

Leg Press
    6 x 330
    4 x 440
    4 x 440
    4 x 440

Hamstring Curls
    6 x 150
    6 x 175
    6 x 200
    6 x 200

Kong- Cheers pal. It's only when I look back at those old pictures that I realise I have achieved something, but still haven't achieved enough!

Workout was ok today, first time doing squats in maybe 2 years . This was due to being lazy, and then doing my knee in, and then tearing a ligament in my ankle playing football. As such my legs are lagging a bit. I found the squats pretty easy but I was concentrating on form more than anything.

I think my leg presses show my legs aren't ridiculously weak so over the next month I will bump up the squats and get some real numbers up. Shoulders went ok as per usual, DB Presses were hard going but I think I can do a bit more.

Anyway it's New Years Eve so tonight will be a bit of a cheat, my diet up until about 8 when I go to the pub will be spot on until it get's ruined by 10 pints of lager and a kebab on the way home. Hoping for little or no hangover so I can resume normal diet tomorrow.
    Last edited by mattburns; 12-31-2008 at 11:14 AM.

5th January 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    175 x 5
    175 x 5
    200 x 4
    200 x 3

Incline DB Bench
    45 x 6
    55 x 6
    60 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 4

Dips
    5 x 5 x BW

Close Grip Bench
    25 x 6
    65 x 6
    110 x 5
    110 x 5
    110 x 4

Comments

Also did GPP in the form of working for my dad who's a fisherman. Basically involves digging worms on the beaches, hard work but satisfying and is probably the reason my back and shoulders are pretty strong.

Session went ok considering I was knackered after digging and also still feeling dodgy from the weekend. I went to Middlesbrough at the weekend to watch my football team Barrow AFC play in the FA Cup. For any americans reading this it may mean nothing but my team are 5 leagues below the team we played so it was a massive day out. We lost 2-1 but I still had the time of me life.

No more drinking for a while now, back to Uni next week so time to concentrate on working hard.

GPP in the form of 3 hours digging bait. If anyone actually reads this and is wondering what digging lugworm is then look here- http://www.waterwereld.nu/zeepiereng.php Except in the picture there is two guys, I do it on my own cos I'm straight. It's hard work but good for you and a good earner too.

Also did 90 mins cardio tonight at football training. Diet has been pretty good.

7th January 2009

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    6 x 135
    5 x 220
    5 x 220
    4 x 265
    4 x 265

Pull-ups
    4 x BW x 4

Bent over DB rows
    6 x 65
    6 x 77
    6 x 90
    4 x 90
    4 x 90

Chin ups
    4 x BW x 6

Preacher Curls
    6 x 65
    6 x 65

Comments

Poor form on deadlifts so didn't go too heavy as I'm trying to make sure it's perfect, need to just bend my knees and stick out me bum more. Everything else was ok, Chins/Pulls were pretty poor since starting them I've realised I have a ****e strength/bodyweight ratio.

9th January 2009

Legs

Squats
    6 x 45
    5 x 110
    4 x 155
    4 x 200
    4 x 245

Leg Press
    6 x 330
    5 x 440
    5 x 440
    5 x 440
    3 x 550

Hamstring Curls
    6 x 150
    6 x 175
    6 x 200
    6 x 200

Comments

Just legs today as I'm going digging for 4 hours this afternoon and it's quite intensive on the shoulders so I'm going to do a shoulders only session tomorrow morning.

Squats starting to feel better, although the gym doesn't have a foam roller which hurts my shoulders a bit. I think I can do a fair bit more but form is more important to me at the moment. Leg presses are really enjoyable, these are proper leg presses, not the half arsed ones I see a lot of people doing heels right up to me backside so they really do the trick. After I came off the leg press I saw someone load nearly 900lbs on the leg press and proceed to press with a ROM of about 4 inches, i thought he was doing calves so I asked him and he said no this one is for my thighs, then did a little gay wink as if to say "Look at how strong I am". That or he's gay and fancied me. Never mind.

Could barely walk after the squats and leg presses but did some ham curls to finish off. Going to see how it goes over the next few weeks but might add some isolation for my calfs as they are pretty poor.

10th January 2009

Shoulder/Legs

DB Shoulder Press
    6 x 65
    6 x 65
    6 x 65
    4 x 77

Lateral Raise
    6 x 20
    6 x 45
    6 x 45
    6 x 45

Shrugs
    8 x 130
    8 x 220
    8 x 220
    8 x 220

Crunches
    12, 10, 8, 8

Comments

Decent session. Ended up going out last night before I have to go back to University. Didn't drink a massive amount but got into a bit of a scuffle in the takeaway, bruised me hand but it doesn't feel too bad so should be fine by Wednesday which is the next chance for me to get in the gym.

Back in classes tomorrow so need to make sure I've always got plenty of food in me bag. Looking forward to wednesday after a couple of days off and hopefully some decent figures will be put up on here. I've done some assessments of my goals so will post up about them when I get the chance.

14th January 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    200 x 4
    210 x 3

Incline DB Bench
    45 x 6
    55 x 6
    65 x 6
    65 x 6

Close Grip Bench
    90 x 6
    130 x 6
    155 x 6
    155 x 6

Dips
    4 x (6 x BW)

Comments

Not a bad session, can maybe bench a little more but was no one about to ask for a spot. Close Grips made the dips pretty tough but I managed to up the amount fairly comfortably.

GPP in the form of digging tonight after tea too.

Here's my goals both in terms of size, and lifts-

Measurements are in inches and weight is in pounds. I think some of the aims for March 30th are a bit optimistic but what's the point in having goals if they're not challenging.

Similarly with the lifts, I think all those targets are achievable. Those figures were a fortnight ago when I first started back doing squats and deads, I've since squatted 245 so that 300 is definitely attainable. If I meet any of these goals I will re-assess and set some new ones.

The weight works out that I have to put on approx 1lb per week which is definitely achievable. I will only weigh myself on the 30th of each month leading to march and record the results.

15th January 2009

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    6 x 155
    5 x 240
    4 x 240
    3 x 285
    2 x 330 PR

Pull-ups
    4 x BW x 5

Bent over DB rows
    6 x 65
    6 x 77
    6 x 90
    6 x 90

Chin ups
    5 x BW x 5

Preacher Curls
    8 x 65
    8 x 70
    8 x 70

Comments

Decent session, maybe the 350 DL I put in my goals was a bit pessimistic so I'm changing it to 400. Form wasn't perfect on the first set of 240 so I did it again to make sure. When I first tried to pull 330 my hands slipped and I lost a bit of confidence, I dried them off and tried again but it did the same, so I tried the over/under hand grip and it came up fine, I think I could have done a few more reps but didn't want to kill myself.

As it goes I've got a little niggle in my back this afternoon so I don't think I'll be going so hell for leather in the future, just lift heavy and with good form and start to build up to the 400 goal. Everything else was ok, pulls/chins are hard work but I'm getting better.

Chuffed with the DL and I think 400 is very attainable by March 30th. I need to look into getting some chalk too. Got football training tonight but going to take it easy as it's squat's tomorrow and I don't want the back to still be niggling.

16th January 2009

Shoulder/Legs

DB Shoulder Press
    6 x 55
    6 x 65
    6 x 70
    6 x 65

Lateral Raise
    6 x 20
    6 x 27.5
    6 x 27.5
    6 x 40

Shrugs
    8 x 155
    8 x 200
    8 x 200

Squats
    6 x 130
    5 x 200
    4 x 245
    3 x 245
    4 x 200

Leg Press
    6 x 330
    6 x 440
    6 x 440
    6 x 440

Hamstring Curls
    6 x 175
    6 x 175
    6 x 200
    6 x 200

Comments

Squats were ok, imperfect form on the first set of 245 so I did them again. Back was twinging a little so I dropped the weight for the final set. I think a 300lb squat is very attainable, but form is more important to me at the moment.

Shoulders was ok, bit tired after the legs to be honest but flew through shoulders no probs. My protein powder I ordered last friday hasn't come yet, meaning I have no powder. Bit of a bugger as it means I might be without until next tuesday as I'm away on Monday.

Not doing much over the weekend, digging tomorrow and possibly sunday so just going to concentrate on eating as much as possible and doing some work for university.

Hey, dude. Thought I would stop by your "new" journal here. Are those posted numbers in kgs or lbs? You mentioned that you lift in kgs, of course. Dude you're a tall mofo. Looking thick too. You've come quite a ways for sure, bro. Your goals are not only attainable but will be crushed by you way before March I believe. On the routine you listed, why both pullups and chins in the same workout? Also, why not break into a 4-day split and move deads and some of the shoulder and ham work over to that day? Just a thought, cause I'm sure those two days take a bit of time to get through. Anyway, I'll be stopping in more often. You are lookin awesome, bro.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Thanks for stopping by pal, it was getting a bit lonely in here! Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The numbers posted are lbs, I convert them then round up/down to the nearest 2.5lbs. If only they were kilograms!

As for the routine, I've only been doing it 3 weeks and I'm open to suggestions as it's a new routine with an attempt to incorporating more compounds. I was hoping that the wide grip pulls would work my lats, and the closer grip inwards facing grip chins would work my back and bi's a little. I've tried to remove a lot of the isolation from my old routine but my arms are really lagging and in an attempt to fix this I've tried to implement chins/dips to provide some form of isolation. What would you suggest?

Good point about splitting it into 4 days but I'm a bit restricted by time at the moment, I go to University two days a week and usually work 3-4 days so I try and keep it to 3 days. You are right though it does take a lot of time on the Legs/Shoulders day (1hr 20mins yesterday), and if possible I will try and do legs one day and shoulders the other.

Anyway aye thanks for stopping by and I hope by Tuesday which is when I can get back in the gym next I'll be putting up some better numbers for my benching.

20th January 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    175 x 5
    200 x 4
    220 x 2 PR
    200 x 4

Incline DB Bench
    45 x 6
    65 x 6
    77 x 6
    65 x 6

Close Grip Bench
    130 x 6
    155 x 6
    175 x 6
    175 x 4

Dips
    4 x (6 x BW)

GPP
    2 hours digging.

Comments

Chuffed with the bench. No spotter but I felt confident, reps weren't too taxing to be honest. I genuinely think I could do 250 for one now but I want to make sure I can do it for reps. I think next week I will make sure I have a spotter and push for 230. Rest of workout was fine. Digging was hard work.

I got my delivery of protein powder while I was at Uni. I got 4.6kg/10lbs for £30 with 1kg/2.2lbs of creatine free, I usually pay £50+ for that amount of protein so it's worked out decent, although it does go out of date in March but that shouldn't be an issue apparently. It's Weider Premium Whey and seems pretty nice although it is a bit sickly, had one with my breakfast and it was a bit sweet. Can't grumble with the price though.

I've never taken Creatine but seeing as it's free I've been doing some research and plan to start taking 5g a day possibly from Feb 1st. It all depends on how much weight I've put on and if this bulk is going ok I'll leave it another month then hopefully it'll give me a boost to keep progressing.

rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar
    nice work in here, shoulders and arms really looking great in new pics, ive become lazy with my journal lately you're putting me to shame!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cheers pal!

Nice work on that bench. I'll bet you could get 240-250 for one as well. What's your all time best? I think it's great that you've removed a lot of the isolation movements. To me they can be a waste of time unless you have specific goals in mind with them (i.e. just want to give the biceps extra work - curls, etc.) I do not think you need two flavors of chins. 99% of the same muscles are going to be involved on either flavor. Pick one and stick with it and switch it up when you feel like it.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Cheers for the advice mate. I think I will stick with the inward facing chins and see how that goes for a while. I agree with you RE: isolation I think I've felt just as worked off the compounds as I used to when I was doing 2/3 isolation movements per workout. Definitely so for Tri's with dips.

I know I mentioned a little niggle in my back last week, well as I got up out of my chair last night I pulled it pretty badly and have been unable to sleep much due to the discomfort. Because of this I've had to miss the gym and digging today, and I have Uni tomorrow so I'm hoping with a bit of rest I will be fine to workout Friday/Saturday.

EDIT: My all time best bench is actually only 230 that was last year at the peak of my last bulk. I feel a LOT stronger now though and I'm determined to smash my previous poor efforts. Bench has always been my weakness.
    Last edited by mattburns; 01-21-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Comments

Back is recovering fairly well but it's still a big concern as far as lifting goes. Had football training tonight but just did some light running and a bit of 5-a-side, it loosened up but now feels pretty bad since I've cooled down.

I've been putting heat packs on it etc. and it's about 30% as bad as it was on Tuesday night. I'm going to give the gym a shot tomorrow night I think with some real light stuff then see how that goes and if I'm ok take it from there and maybe work out Sat/Sun. The lack of gym action is doing my nut in so I'm determined to get in and do something so the week isn't lost.

Diet

Since I've had some spare time on my hands I thought I would log two days worth of food and see how I was doing concerning my targets which were:

4500 Calories
    250g Protein

Tuesday 20th January

Calories: 4,424
    Protein: 239.5g
    Carbs: 468.7g
    Fat: 179.2g (60g sats, 80g mono, 39g poly)

Wednesday 21st January

Calories: 4,671
    Protein: 261.3g
    Carbs: 579.3g
    Fat: 150.0g (62g sats, 65g mono, 27g poly)

So overall pretty good, Wednesday was better but I think I can hover around this amount pretty comfortably most days. I don't plan on weighing myself til the 30th but I know I've put on a bit because I felt it on my shins when I was running tonight. Also I was only eating on average 3750 before xmas so....

Anyways here's hoping my back is better tomorrow for at the very least a bit of a leg/shoulder workout.

24th January 2009

Shoulder/Legs

Shoulder Press
    8 x 25
    8 x 35
    8 x 45

Lateral Raise
    8 x 25
    8 x 25
    8 x 25

Upright Rows
    8 x 45
    8 x 45
    8 x 65

Leg Press
    8 x 200
    8 x 200
    8 x 200

Leg Extensions
    8 x 90
    8 x 90
    8 x 90

Comments

Did a very light session to try and get into the swing of things again. My back is still pretty sore but it didn't seem to get too aggravated from this workout. The weights were pretty low and I used a machine for the Shoulder Press but anything is better than nothing I suppose.

I now also have quite a bad chest which is not what I need. I'm just going to write the last week off as somewhat of a rest week and start again this week, probably be taking it easier with the squats and DL's. Pretty gutted I got this injury as it was all going pretty well but I should be fine this week.

Sucks about the back injury, bro. Hope it heals up quickly for ya. I have no doubt you will smash your 230 record on that bench. When you say you did some football training, is that american footbal or "soccer"? Sorry for the confusion. Calorie and protein intake look solid. Are you gaining off that?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs