The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    23rd June 2009

Lower B- Deload @ 60%

Deadlifts
    5 x 155
    5 x 242
    5 x 286
    2 x 286
    3 x 242

Front Squats
    5 x bar
    5 x 88
    5 x 110
    5 x 130

Calf Raises
    10 x 55 (x3)

Upright Rows
    8 x 55 (x3)

Abs
    Lots x crunch variations
    Knee Raises
    Uneven bar bends

Cardio/GPP
    2 Hours Football
    4 Hours Digging

Comments

More digging at my mates today got to finish getting rid of the brambles then level it off. Football training tonight too so busy day. Workout was ok, front squats are uncomfortable on my shoulders but I like the burn I get and the depth is very low, like arse touching heels low.

Noticed when I've been lifting lighter I've been slowing my form down and removing any 'elasticity' from the lifts if that makes sense? Really contracting the muscle and taking it slow. I use good form on my assistance lifts but I think it's easy to get embroiled in lifting as heavy as possible with the sacrifice that your muscles aren't being work to the maximum capacity. I aim to slow down a bit more on stuff like DB rows, CG Press etc. as I feel it a lot more this way.

Kiaran: Back is ok but it still tweaks on both sides of my lumbar, just above my bum. I have tried to create a makeshift foam roller out of yoga mats to little avail. I think foam rolling could help because it feels good when I get my knuckles and dig it a little bit, relieves the stress somewhat. Deffo agree about the landscaping, hard work but good in the nice weather, enjoy working up a sweat and will be a great sense of achievement when the pond is finished.

Flynn: Cheers mate, yea the ball is this weekend but I had already planned to go away with the football team for a weekender after a game. Bit gutted but never mind, I have my graduation ceremony in July where I have to wear one of those dresses and funny hats too.

Liking them deads and front squats dude.

Thanks Coke.

Back is giving me real grief. Was hurting a bit on the right side yesterday when I was fishing all day but had a really bad nights sleep and now it hurts in the same place on the left side... wtf? No workout today it's too painful. Think my mattress has something to do with it I keep having really uncomfortable sleep. Might have to go to the docs if it's like this tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    Thanks Coke.

Back is giving me real grief. Was hurting a bit on the right side yesterday when I was fishing all day but had a really bad nights sleep and now it hurts in the same place on the left side... wtf? No workout today it's too painful. Think my mattress has something to do with it I keep having really uncomfortable sleep. Might have to go to the docs if it's like this tomorrow.
    I hear you Matt!

Im suffering from upper back pain myself at the moment. Its a pain in the ....well, back!

Been to the docs. Got 500mg Naproxen and was sent on my way basically. GPs are crap.

GL anyway, hope you get something sorted and heal up quick!
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Interesting on the back. That is exactly where my back gets nasty. Like deep, sharp pain that feels way better when I drive my fists into it. Good looking deload so far, man. What's the plan for next week? I hear you about dropping the weight and working on form, however, form will always fall apart slightly when limits are being pushed, and that's ok. The important thing is that you are aware of this and not oblivious to what you are doing.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

No workout again today. Woke up and it was just as bad as yesterday, went to footie training last night and just stood about, walking was hurting even. Going away this weekend but won't be playing unless this goes overnight. I'm sure lots of beer will numb the pain a bit. Hope I'm ok by Monday.

Flynn: Feel your pain mate! I hate these injuries that stop you from doing things. So frustrating. The treatment from your GP sounds crap, I'm going to give it til Monday then go see mine. I had a similar injury on the right side a few months ago and it healed up after rest and heat.

Kiaran:That's exactly how mine feels K, I've tried kneeding it so to speak but it doesn't help a great deal just feels better for a few minutes. Not sure what to do next week. Will just have to see how I feel and take it from there. I hate being injured so much, can't do anything I want to do, was sat on my arse all yesterday.

I hear you on the form. One thing I'm a bit worried about is that when I did BB style training with no DL's or Squats I never got injured bar a bit of shoulder trouble. I know they're safe movements but if I'm getting injured I must be doing them wrong?

You're doing the right thing - just rest up and eat well, then go back to it next week.

I don't know, bro. Everyone here always loves to say that Deadlifts are a safe exercise and blah blah blah. But the proof is really in the experience. Deadlift is by far the most taxing lift you can perform, IMO. When you start getting into 2x BW and greater on ANY lift, it becomes dangerous. I don't care what anyone says. The slightest twist or breakdown in form can cause the weakest link to pull, tear or just get really pissed off. Deads are awesome mass builders but I am starting to wonder about some advice that was given to me once upon a time by an oldschool bodybuilder. He told me that at my size, I would one day reach a point on my deadlifts where I could lift more weight than my body could realistically handle and recover from properly. Once I started digging deep into the 400s on deads...they stopped being fun. I actually don't look forward to heavy deads anymore. They are a drain and hog all my energy and spirit to do them at a level that is useful to me. I keep them in the mix because I know they are a major movement that does great things for your body, but I only hit them up every 9-10 days or every other legs session now. When I was doing Westside, I only deadlifted heavy every other week. With the BB stuff now, I keep the deads short and sweet. Between you and I, I never had more injuries than I did when I was doing all the heavy powerlifting. The **** just tears you in half. And nothing kills your motivation and spirit and focus like injuries. Think about it, bro.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Beer should definitely do the trick lol. I've only had one back injury from dead lifts and it scared the hell out of me. I figured it to be a flexibility issue in my hammies that was causing the pain and some good ole stretches cleared it up. Haven't changed my form and I never have pain any more. Just don't let it get you down. They come and go, and you'll be lifting heavy weights again in no time.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

1st July 2009

Chest/Tri

Flat DB Bench Press
    6 x 66
    6 x 77
    6 x 88
    5 x 99 PR (+1r I think)

Bench Press
    6 x 130
    6 x 175
    5 x 200
    4 x 200

Close Grip Bench
    6 x 110
    6 x 155
    6 x 155
    6 x 175

Dip Machine
    8 x 200
    8 x 200
    8 x 200

Tri Pulldowns
    8 x 110 (x3)

Cardio
    Exercise bike 4.5km in 11 min

Weigh In
    30th April (End of Bulk): 246lbs
    31st May (Cutting): 240lbs
    15th June: 236lbs
    30th June: 232lbs

Comments

Only got time to work out 3 days this week and I wanted an extended rest so left it til today to workout. Decided to go with a push pull legs for this week as it fits. No deads/squats or anything strenuous on the lower back as it is still tweaking. Couldn't do dips so used the machine. The back has mostly cleared up but still nags a bit and I have a football tournament on Saturday so need to take it easy.

Happy with the weigh in, 4lbs in 15 days is a bit more than I have been losing but it's still steady and I did do a lot of GPP and cardio so it makes sense. Even when I wasn't training last week my diet was very good, I'll be dropping another 200 cals or so here and there starting this week. Overall I've lost 14lbs in 9 or so weeks which is right on target.

Coke: Thanks mate, yea sometimes doing nothing is the best solution.

K: Good shout mate, I respect your opinion a lot and think you make a lot of sense regarding heavy deads. I think the volume on my heavy deads lately has been a bit silly and think this is where the problems may have come from. I never had injuries when I was BBing, but I never had such a good time in the gym since I started PLing.

I think the answer is to stretch more, foam roll, lower the volume on deads and perfect my squat form. I'm starting to think about my next bulk and I think an amalgam of 5/3/1 for the big 3 to keep my volume and load progression in order, and some assistance which will include isolation (even curls and such! ) I want to keep lifting big but I want to get bigger, look better and be healthier too. Hopefully I can find the medium.

Chalky: The beer certainly helped! I think stretching is something I can still work on, I've gone from not being able to touch my toes by a long way to being able to with ease but I still have very tight hams and lower back. Thanks for the encouragement pal.

Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    ...Only got time to work out 3 days this week...
    3 days is really all that's needed to get the job done imo.

Props on the steady weight loss Matt.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-01-2009 at 09:46 AM.

2nd July 2009

Back/Bi's

T-Bar Rows
    8 x 110
    8 x 155
    8 x 200

Lat Pulldowns
    8 x 110
    8 x 220
    8 x 220

Chins
    6 x BW (x3)

Preacher Curls
    8 x 88 (x3)

Forearm Curls
    8 x 44 (x3)

Pinch Grips
    44lbs x 16s, 14s, 12s

Comments

Ok session just wanted to get something done and not aggravate the injury. Football tonight for cardio.

Coke: Very true mate, I moved to 4 days a week because I had a lot of time on my hands but when I start work in Sept I will be back at 3 days. Plenty of time IMO to fit in all the exercises needed with the intensity required.
    Last edited by mattburns; 07-02-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Training smartly with the back, no need to push it right now...good deal on the forearm/grip work too.

3rd July 2009

Legs/Shoulders

Leg Press
    8 x 220 (x4)

Hamstring Curls
    8 x 130 (x3)

Leg Ext
    8 x 155 (x3)

Calf Raises
    10 x 75 (x3)

Seated DB OH Press
    6 x 55
    6 x 66
    6 x 66
    6 x 77

Lateral Raises
    8 x 22 (x3)

upright Rows
    8 x 77 (x3)

Shrugs
    10 x 155 (x3)

GPP
    2 hours digging/lobbing a wheelbarrow about

Comments

Just took it easy again. Shoulder workout was good. Even though I havent been lifting very heavy the variation this week has given me some nice DOMS in chest/back/arms. A little reminder that switching it up a bit now and again does the body good. Will probably stick with the upper/lower til August then re-assess. Doing a little bit more work on the pond with my mate today but will be taking it easy if I feel the back tweak.

Coke: Cheers bro. In days gone by I would just keep training through injuries but I've learnt this is often the worse thing to do. The back is feeling a lot better as a result of the reduced workload.

Good to hear the back is healing up Matt.

Heavy DB pressing for taking it easy. Is that at full upright? Impressive none the less btw.

Whats the BW at the mo?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Damn, the GPP stuff alone is taxing enough, liking the legs and shoulder training.

Outstanding **** with the DB pressing, bro. Probably a smart move letting that back heal up. I definitely agree about changing things up every now and then. Always good to have a couple routines in your bag of tricks to choose from, right?

Hope the football tournie went well for you this weekend, bro. Sounds like the weight loss is going great for you!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

6th July 2009

Chest/Tri

Bench Press
    6 x 130
    6 x 175
    6 x 200
    4 x 220

Incline DB Bench Press
    6 x 55
    6 x 66
    6 x 66
    6 x 77

Close Grip Bench
    6 x 135
    6 x 175
    6 x 175
    6 x 185

Dips
    8 x BW (x3)

Tri Pulldowns
    8 x 110 (x3)

GPP
    Couple of hours digging out the rest of the pond

Comments

Not bad, giving the push/pull legs another week as the change was good and the back got some rest. Will DL hopefully and squat by the end of the week too.

Coke: Thanks mate! Definitely taxing work but it's nice to be outside in the sun, temps been up to 30 degrees celcius over here at times lately.

Flynn: Thanks pal, the DB pressing is one notch down on the bench from fully upright so more of a 70 degree angle I'd say. Fully upright aggravates an old RC injury so I like to have a slight angle. BW was at 232 this time last week, next weigh in is next Tue so hopefully drop another lb or two.

Kiaran: Cheers mate! Totally agree about the routine changes, variety is the spice of life eh? I'm cutting so as long as the sessions are intense and heavy it'll be ok, I found the upper/lower was going a little stale.

Tournie was ok, got beat in the semi finals by the eventual winners but it was a good day out. Calves are destroyed from playing Thurs/Fri/Sat and Sunday. Think I'll leave legs til Friday!

Sounds like you did pretty well in the tournie. Pushing strength looks strong. Good volume in there for sure. Tris had to be smoked after the Close Grips, lol, and then you threw dips and pulldowns on top of them. Good call on letting your lower back and legs heal up.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

7th July 2009

Back/Bi’s

BB Rows
    6 x 130
    6 x 175 (x3)

Narrow T-Bar Rows
    8 x 110
    8 x 175
    8 x 175

Lat Pulldowns
    8 x 110
    8 x 200
    8 x 220

Preacher Curls
    8 x 110 Pr (+22w i think)
    6 x 110
    4 x 110

Forearm Curls
    6 x 66 (x3)

Wrist Rolls
    110lbs x 16s (x3)

Comments

I wussed out of deadlifts. Back was twinging and I just couldn't be arsed. Got a horrific blister on my palm from the digging yesterday as it was clay and rocks, had to wrap my hand up to work out but the raw skin still hurt a bit. Did some heavy curls they were heavy which was a given. The wrist rolls were just standing with a barbell and rolling it continuously with an overhand grip.

Some interesting observations from my monthly measurements from when I was 246 til now where I'm about 230-
    My forearms and calves are still exactly the same size. Weird.
    I have lost an inch off each thigh. Expected.
    I have lost nearly an inch off each arm. Disappointing.
    I have lost 2inches off my waist. Encouraging.

My arms are the last thing to grow and first thing to erode. So frustrating. I'm going to put a lot of thought into rectifying this on my next bulk and adjusting my routine to focus on the weaker bodyparts (arms/chest) and focus less on parts that grow so easy (shoulders).

Kiaran: Thanks pal, yea looking back it was a lot of tri volume but I was pretty pumped at the time and the pulldowns were a nice finisher.

Losing two inches off the waist is a good sign - ...nice efforts back-to-back.

Nice looking workouts and congratulations on your weight loss
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

strong workouts man. losing weight can be a good thing, plus its the summer time so some of that is probably water. keep it up!
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Matt,

Congrats with the weight loss. Bummer about the inches off everywhere. An inch off the arms seems a bit excessive though?

Its tough getting into the gym im sure. Especially after finishing uni. Best thing is to enjoy yourself at the moment. Hows the weather where you are?

9th July 2009

Shoulders

Standing Military Press
    6 x 110
    6 x 130
    4 x 155
    3 x 165

DB Lateral Raises
    8 x 33 (x3)

Upright Rows
    8 x 110 PR (+11w)
    6 x 110
    4 x 110

Shrugs
    10 x 200 (x3)

Abs
    Crunches and stuff

Cardio/GPP
    3 hours digging
    30 min dog walk
    1 hour football

Comments

Could have done shoulders with legs but I don't have a lot to do at the moment so the gym gets me going in the morning and stops me from laying in bed til midday. You would think 3 months without work would be a good thing but to be truthful I am getting bored a lot. If it wasn't for this pond and football I would be going stir crazy. I've added a pic of the pond below to give an idea of how big the bugger is. Still needs leveling off and the waterfall building then filling etc.

Session was good, mil strength hasn't really dropped at all on the cut. Been burning a lot of cals with all this GPP, dog walking and playing football the last 7 out of 8 days.

Coke: Thanks mate!

Matt: Cheers big fella!

Cards: Thanks pal, yea I think I am still retaining some water with the creatine too, we'll see when my supply runs out.

Flynn: Nice one mucker. Yea I double checked my measurements I miscounted it's 1.5cm loss off the arms so more like half an inch which is more acceptable. Still annoying mind, arms are my genetic weak spot for sure. Weather was amazing last week, really hot, been a bit cloudy with sunny spells this week but still nice, planning a trip up the lakes next week so hope the weather holds.

That's me looking nice and pasty!
    Attached Images Attached Images