The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    27th January 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    175 x 5
    200 x 4
    200 x 4
    175 x 5

Incline DB Bench
    45 x 6
    65 x 6
    65 x 6
    65 x 6

Close Grip Bench
    90 x 6
    130 x 6
    130 x 6
    175 x 5

Tricep Pulldowns
    8 x 90
    8 x 110
    8 x 110

Comments

Back not 100% so didn't push it. Still it was solid enough and I'm on the road to recovery. Couldn't do dips as it irritated my back so settled for some tri pulls to finish off. I think I'll have tomorrow off and do legs thur for maximum recovery before back/bi on fri.

This fever or whatever I had is near enough gone, was sleeping a lot, stiff neck, aching all over etc. coupled with a bad chest but a bit of medicine has seen me right. Not been a good week for me health wise!

Kiaran: Cheers for the comments mate. By football I mean soccer, I keep meaning to call it soccer on here to avoid confusion but football slips out to easy! I play Centre Half for my local clubs supporter team. I do like American Football too, I like it as an alternative to Rugby and have watched it every Sunday for a couple of seasons, I'll be watching the Superbowl this Sunday til about 6am UK time.

As for the weight gains I'm not sure yet as I've decided I'm only weighing myself once a month. I used to weigh myself a bit too often and it can be demoralising so this is the best way for me. I tend to go by the mirror a lot too and have my own little triggers that tell me if I've put on a bit too much fat. Looking in the mirror last night I have put on a bit of fat but my back looks a bit thicker so when I weigh myself on Friday I'm hoping for a decent gain of approx 1lb per week.
    Last edited by mattburns; 01-29-2009 at 06:08 AM.

29th January 2009

Shoulders

DB Shoulder Press
    6 x 45
    5 x 55
    5 x 65
    4 x 77
    4 x 77

DB Lateral Raise
    6 x 27.5
    6 x 33
    6 x 33
    6 x 33

DB Shrugs
    8 x 77
    8 x 95
    8 x 95

Comments

Just shoulders only today, legs tomorrow then back saturday for maximum recovery time. Session was ok, Shoulder Presses feeling solid now and the two sets with the 77's (35kg) went up ok. Think I'll push on with them next week to try and make a PR.

Had soccer training last night and my back felt fine, little stiff but very little pain so I should be fine to play at the weekend.

30th January 2009

Legs

Squats
    6 x 155
    5 x 200
    5 x 245
    5 x 245 (Fail)

Leg Press
    6 x 330
    6 x 440
    6 x 440

Seated Calf Raises
    10 x 65
    10 x 110
    10 x 110

Comments

Pissed off. Don't know what the eff is wrong with me. I've had barely any injuries in three years and now I've had two in two weeks. On the last rep of 245 I felt my hamstring pull. Persevered with the leg presses but couldn't do any more for fear of hurting it more. Annoyed because I have an important soccer game on Sunday. I hate having injuries and this has really spoiled my workout especially considering I only did light leg work last week.

Also I forgot change for the weighing scales so no weigh-in today. Will do that tomorrow.

31st January 2009

Weigh In

Dec 30th
    226lbs

Jan 31st
    229lbs

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    6 x 135
    6 x 135
    6 x 175
    6 x 175

Bent over DB rows
    6 x 65
    6 x 65
    6 x 77
    6 x 90

Chin ups
    4 x BW x 6

Plate Pinch Grips
    45 x 12s
    45 x 16s
    55 x 12s
    55 x 16s

Comments

Fairly happy with my weight, 3lbs in a month or so is ok and I did have a massive dump before I got weighed so I think realistically it was more like 4lbs . I think this back injury really threw me off a bit but either way I'm going to step it up a little bit to hit 240 so I'll be taking on more protein in an effort to get 275g+, I'll also start taking Creatine on Monday.

As for the session it was ok, very light on the deadlifts because of my back but it felt fairly solid so I'm happy with that. Back to proper weights by next week. Chucked in some pinch grips to try and improve my grip for deads.

Hamstring is tight but I'll just make sure I warm up plenty before the game tomorrow.

3rd February 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    175 x 5
    200 x 4
    220 x 3
    220 x 3

Incline DB Bench
    55 x 6
    66 x 6
    77 x 6 PR
    77 x 5 (Fail)

Close Grip Bench
    90 x 6
    130 x 6
    130 x 6
    155 x 6

Dips
    3 x (6 x BW)
    1 x (5 x BW) Fail

Comments

Solid session. Hit 220 again and it felt ok, going to try and bump it up slightly next week. PR on the DB press, I can obviously do more but I have always done flat BB bench before any DB work so this is a decent PR for me. Failed on the last rep on my final set but I'm not arsed, I think it shows I'm testing myself if I can only just and so make my final rep.

Close grips killed me off and I ended up failing on the last rep of dips too, my right arm gave way. Anyway it was all good considering I went digging for 2 hours this morning so I was probably a little tired. Been digging for the past three days and back has been niggling a bit but seems ok.

Started taking the creatine mono at 5g a day, can't be arsed loading just going to take it daily and see how it goes.

Wannabebig Member
    I was reading thru ur journal and noticed the entries about ur back goin out on u.. Ive had a few back pains last year.. wat ive noticed is that if I sit there and try to let it heal.. it takes weeks.. but if I go to the gym and do weighted back raises? (reverse sit ups if u will), then the pain usually subsides in a couple days and Im back to form.. but if u try that an it hurts too much I wouldnt continue... maybe it will help tho...?

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats on the the solid weight gain. Hope the leg gets to feeling better hamstrings pulls SUCK. Keep it up!

Nice job on that bench, bro. DBs are getting strong too. Anytime you work to failure it shows spirit and that you gave it your all. What the hell are you digging? Or is that what you do at your job? I think increasing your protein is a good call, but just make sure you're flushing your system with around a gallon of clean water a day. Don't want to fry those kidneys. You can also bump your fats up. Just start eating a handful of nuts with each meal. How's the hamstring feeling? What are you doing in the way of warmup before you step under the Squat bar? I usually spend about 15 mins doing all sorts of random dynamic stretching and some abductor and adductor work. Do same type of thing for bench warmup as well.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Great progress. so close to working out with 2 plates. It feels good when you can do that.
    Check out my journal:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117073

Goal To be the Strongest Huggins! - started again on 2/24/11 then again 2/27/12
    squat: 420 405 x 5
    bench: 355 320 x 3
    deadlift: 455 420 x 3
    Total 1215 on a single day

Hardwood: Cheers for stopping by and yea I agree that sitting there isn't the best way to heal and sometimes a bit of light work does help. For instance I pulled my back a little bit again at the weekend but after doing some light work it really eased off and loosened up a lot. I used to do the weighted back raise type exercise you speak of and it might be an idea to do them every so often to keep my lower back as sturdy as possible.

Lightweight83: Cheers for the kind words mate!

Kiaran: It's a bit hard for me to explain what I dig but here goes... My old man is a fisherman and supplies bait to tackle shops across the UK. I live on an Island off the coast of northern England and we have a special species of worm here called the lugworm that is used for fishing in the sea. We basically follow the tide out and dig trenches in the sand for a few hours and collect the worms. It's real tough work digging for 2-3 hours straight but the money can be good. Here is a picture of a lugworm-

And here is a good link describing bait digging, except in the picture there are two blokes, one digging and one collecting I just do it on my own as does the old fella. We also have crab/lobster traps too.

http://www.waterwereld.nu/zeepiereng.php

Anyway regarding stretching I think this is my obvious downfall, I generally do some generic Ham/Calf stretches for a couple of minutes before my warm up sets. The other day I got out of bed, went to the gym and obviously didn't warm up enough resulting in the pull. I'm doing legs tomorrow so will do some more extensive work and maybe a couple of minutes on the bike to get me going. Do you have any particular stretches you find effective?

Hug Dog: Thanks pal, hopefully I'll be able to hit the two plates next week!

At first glance, that photo of that worm looks all nasty. At closer inspection, it looks like an earth worm, only red. Sounds like hard work. For warmup on squat days I do the following:

- hip circles (clockwise and counter) [stand normally with hands on hips; begin rotating your hips in circles like hula-hoop;]
    - shoulder circles (forward and back) [stand with both arms out at sides; draw little circles on the walls with your hands, gradually making bigger and bigger circles]
    - knee circles (per knee - clockwise and counter) [per leg; hold onto something for support; lift up one leg keeping knee bent; draw circles in the air towards the ground with foot;]
    - knee cap stretching and circling [per knee; stand with legs relaxed; grab patella and gently rotate it around in circles greasing up the joint;]
    - about 10-20 air squats
    - 15 seated band abductions (with purple/Light jump-stretch band) [double up band and place it around both thighs; sit down and begin opening knees as wide as possible; this one really helps my knee-caving-in problem during heavy squats]
    - 15 standing band adductions (per leg - with red/mini jump-stretch band) [single-choke band on cage; place one ankle through band; step away to the side and begin pulling leg in from a side-step to a normal stance]
    - 20-30 shoulder shrugs with 20-30 lb DBs.

I do all this about 2 times through and then start squatting. It really has helped warm up my knees, thighs, groin and shoulders and made squatting much nicer to start. Hope that helps.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

4th February 2009

Legs

Squats
    6 x 130
    5 x 175
    4 x 220
    3 x 265 PR
    4 x 220

Leg Press
    6 x 220
    6 x 330
    6 x 440
    6 x 440

Hamstring Curls
    6 x 130
    6 x 155
    6 x 180
    6 x 180

Standing Calf Raises
    8 x 110
    8 x 155
    8 x 200

GPP
    3 hours digging.

Comments

Quality session. I'm effing knackered. Digging this morning then two hours later in the gym. Squats felt very good and form was spot on. I think I can improve on that 265 sooner rather than later. Did the calf raises as I haven't felt like they've been worked much recently and they are one part of my body I really need to work on. Not looking forward to playing football tomorrow with the DOMS I'm likely to have .

Kiaran: Cheers for the stretching advice. I took note and before I did anything I did some hip circles, knee circles, shoulder circles and then some stretching including thigh stretch, calf stretch and attempting to touch my toes in order to loosen up my hams a bit. I then did some air squats and 8 reps with the bar to concentrate on my form in the mirrors. I think overall this really did help me loosen up and all the squats up to 265 felt pretty easy. The last rep of 265 I let out a loud grunt which was a bit embarassing cos there was a few birds in the vicinity but never mind!

5th February 2009

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    6 x 155
    5 x 220
    4 x 265
    4 x 265
    4 x 265

Bent over DB rows
    6 x 66
    6 x 77
    6 x 88
    6 x 100 PR!

Chin ups
    5 x BW x 5

BB Curls
    6 x 65
    6 x 90
    6 x 90
    6 x 100

Pinch Grips
    45 x 12s
    45 x 12s
    45 x 12s

Comments

Not bad, back tweaked on the first set of 265 so I just left it at that to prevent doing any more damage. Grip is poor on them so did some more pinch grips at the end. My chin ups are ****e, can only manage 5 and they are poor form. I can Lat pulldown a lot so I don't get it but I will just have to persevere.

Chuffed with the PR on the Rows, I felt that since I didn't push myself on DL's I needed to test myself. They were actually ok and I think I can do the 50kg's (110lbs) soon, grip was a little poor so may look at straps. If I do manage 50's I don't know what I'll do from there as that's the biggest the dumbbells go to in the gym. It's been a long term goal of mine to do any lift with 50's so I think rows is the most feasible option at the mo.

No digging today, football training tonight so plenty of carbs being consumed.

Wannabebig Member
    Well done on the DB Rows PR! You ever use wraps for those? I typically don't cause its a good grip strengthner, but the when i did i was able to get a little better of a pump.
    My Journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=120557
    5RM
    Squat 365x5
    Bench 265x5
    Dead lift 315x5

strong workouts and sick db rows man. keep at it.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

ďPersistence Persistence.Ē - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

6th February 2009

Shoulders

DB Shoulder Press
    6 x 45
    5 x 66
    4 x 77
    0 x 82.5 Fail
    4 x 77
    8 x 66

Lateral Raise
    6 x 33
    6 x 33
    6 x 33
    6 x 44

Upright Rows
    6 x 45
    6 x 65
    6 x 80
    6 x 90

DB Shrugs
    8 x 155
    8 x 155
    12 x 155

Comments

Haven't hit my shoulders hard for a few weeks so had a heavy session today. Gutted about the fail on the 37.5kg's (82.5lbs) which would have been an all time PR, I like it to be quiet when I'm going for big lifts and was well focused but some nobhead came up to me just as I had them on my shoulders and asked me if i wanted a spot which threw me off. Completely lost my focus so did some more with the 77's then nailed the 66's for a few. Disappointed overall really. I think I'll leave it 2 weeks and try it again.

Travelling to University today until Monday so Tuesday will be the next time in the gym, will be meeting up with some mates and getting drunk but still plan on keeping my diet up to scratch over the weekend.

Cards: Cheers for the encouragement mate!

Lightweight: Cheers mate. Have never used wraps/straps but I am considering it because I think I can do more than what I did but my grip is a little poor. I'm going to persevere without them in an effort to strengthen my grip. If I do reach the holy grail of 50kg's then I may have to look into using straps.

Glad the warmup stuff worked out for you, bro. Strong leg pressing and congrats on the Squat PR this week. I'm not surprised your rowing is so strong. With all that digging you do, your back must be jacked. I'd cut the volume down on those Deadlifts and just crank up the heat and go for some singles. Volume on DLs always makes my lower back complain. Are you using chalk and a mixed grip on the deads? Also, lol at "nobhead" coming over and ****ing up your lift. That was one of the things I always hated at public gyms. Idiots butting into your lifts and interupting concentration with "yeah man! you got it, you got it! c'mon!". It's like "shut - the - **** - up. I got this..." Anyway, 77 lbs is outstanding, bro, don't beat yourself up about it. I see you got the infamous Upright Rows going on too. Can't stand those things, lol.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

10th February 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    175 x 5
    200 x 4
    220 x 3
    230 x 2 PR

Incline DB Bench
    55 x 6
    66 x 6
    77 x 6
    77 x 6

Dips
    4 x (6 x BW)

Close Grip Bench
    90 x 6
    130 x 6
    155 x 6
    155 x 6

Comments

****in get in. Buzzin like out off me bench today. I've always sucked so badly at bench but I'm starting to get somewhere with it. The first rep of 230 felt easy, the second less so but I think I'll be hitting 250x1 soon. Got an adrenaline rush after the lift which doesn't happen often even when I make PR's but I've been stuck for so long with a ****ty bench that it got me really pumped.

Everything else was ok, 77 x 6 for two sets is a PR too I suppose. I think I'm definitely suffering from a placebo effect from the Creatine, never took it before and I don't feel much different but I thought to myself before the 230 "Come on you're on creatine now you should be pushing harder!" Laughable really but I guess the mental side of things does have an impact regardless of how well the creatine works.

Weekend was ok, caught up with some Uni mates in Liverpool and went out on the town on Saturday night. Diet was ok considering the massive hangover I had on Sunday. No more drinking now til my birthday in March.

Kiaran: Cheers for the props and guidance on the stretching pal. My back has always been pretty strong from digging at an early age, I remember the first time I properly deadlifted when I was about 17 and 170lbs and I did about 200lbs straight away. I only switch to mixed grip at the mo when I do 300+ but I may start doing it from the off to get used to it, also chalk isn't allowed in my gym which is gay but I think I'll have to start sneaking some in in my pockets. Now my back is a lot better I will be doing some serious deadlifts and hopefully reaching my targets. I'll drop the volume a bit too and experiment how that goes.

Totally with you on the people spoiling lifts, one of the biggest downfalls of not having my own gym. I really like to be quiet and focused when I lift and feel no benefit from some spanner shouting at me in an effort of encouragement. I'm not a massive fan of upright rows either but my Traps were sore as out on Saturday so they definitely hit me hard, think I'll do them every other week or so just shock my traps every now and again.

11th February 2009

Legs

Squats
    6 x 130
    5 x 200
    4 x 240
    3 x 265
    3 x 285 PR

Leg Press
    6 x 330
    6 x 440
    6 x 440
    6 x 440

Hamstring Curls
    8 x 155
    8 x 200
    8 x 200

Seated Calf Raises
    10 x 175
    10 x 175
    10 x 175
    10 x 175

Comments

Frazzled. Could hardly walk when I left the gym. Seem to have found my peak on the squats, glad I got the PR but it was very hard work and to be honest the last 2 reps were maybe an inch higher than I normally go see I need to work on that.

Leg presses were such hard work after that squatting, then gave my hams and calves a decent blast. Got football training tonight too so going to be stiff tomorrow. This stretching is really helping especially with my hips, I'm going to try and get some videos of my squats up if it's quiet in the gym next week so my form can be critiqued.

Hard work digging last night. -8 degrees celcius windchill, 30mph wind, digging in the dark but it was worth it. Biggest tide in the last 2 weeks which means we can get the more profitable 'black lugworms' which u can only dig when the tide goes out really far. I made about $120 in two hours before the tide came in so it was definitely worth it. Wish I could do it every day.

12th February 2009

Shoulders/Abs

DB Shoulder Press
    6 x 55
    6 x 66
    6 x 77
    6 x 77

Lateral Raise
    6 x 33
    6 x 33
    6 x 38
    6 x 22

Upright Rows
    8 x 65
    8 x 90
    8 x 90

BB Shrugs
    10 x 135
    10 x 200
    10 x 245

Weighted Crunches
    8 x 15
    8 x 25
    8 x 25

Barbell Side Bends
    8 x 15
    8 x 20
    8 x 25

Knee Raises
    3 x 8

Parallel Leg Raises
    3 x 8

Comments

Not a great shoulder session, woke up late at like 11am, usually up 8.30am so pretty pissed off. Was out after footie training watching England play, didn't drink but got in at 1am. Anyway average lifts on the shoulder presses, Shrugs were decent but almost like a rack pull to get it up because the safety bar on the power rack was already pretty low with some weights on so I just lifted from there.

Been neglecting my abs massively, only done them twice in 6 weeks so nailed them today. Plan is to do this once a week on either leg or shoulder day. The BB side bends were a bit weird but I could feel my obliques burning on the last set.

Big back day tomorrow, up at the proper time, big breakfast, smash some PR's.

(StrengthFromAbove) EEBB D0m1n90's Avatar
    love the mrT pic bro haha some awesome training ur doin whats ur weight
    Isaiah 9:2 The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
    on those living in the land of the shadow of death
    a light has dawned!

14th February 2009

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    4 x 155
    3 x 220
    2 x 310
    2 x 350 PR (+20lb)
    1 x 375 PR (+45lb)

Bent over DB rows
    6 x 77
    6 x 77
    6 x 77
    6 x 77

Chin ups
    4 x BW x 6

BB Curls
    6 x 65
    6 x 80
    6 x 100
    6 x 100

Wrist Rolls
    3 x (45 x 8)

GPP
    2 hours digging

Comments

Very happy with today. Missed yesterday but was determined to do a decent DL session today despite being up at 7am to go digging. Decided to cut my volume down and push for some PR's. 350 felt ok, 375 felt surprisingly easy.

I've got a video of the DL that is waiting to be processed on youtube, will add it when its sorted. The video is crap but I just wanted to film it for form and to put on here. The angle is naff so you can't really see the weight, but hopefully can see my form. I will be doing the same next week so will get better videos. It was very busy today so I didn't have much room.

Was still shaking a bit from the adrenaline so my rows were poor but I felt my back twinging a little so I didn't push it much. I think I will hit 400 x 1 next week if I go on a day when I haven't been digging. No workout til Monday now but footie training and digging tomorrow.

D0m1n90: Cheers mate! Weighing in at 229lbs as of 1st Feb 09. I am 6ft 3/4 tho hence why my lifts aren't maybe as high as they should be for someone of my weight.

Video

Here's the video, for some annoying reason it's the wrong way round. Anyway I'll be getting a better angle and it will be the right way round next week. Still, chuffed with the PR though!

Dude, fine work on that bench and squat last week. Breaking through to some new numbers is always motivating. Incline DB work and leg pressing is looking solid too. Placebo effect or not, sounds like the Creatine is helping you along.

Sounds like a proffitable day digging too, but -8 degrees? ****ing cold. On those BB Side Bends, did you do them with only one side of the bar loaded or both? Solid work with the DL PRs yesterday. You'll get 400 no problem, I'll bet you already can. Pulled that 375 no problem and really fast, damn.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

16th February 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 5
    175 x 4
    220 x 3
    242 x 1 PR (+11w)
    220 x 3

Incline DB Bench
    55 x 6
    66 x 6
    82.5 x 6 PR (+5.5w)
    66 x 6

Close Grip Bench
    130 x 6
    130 x 6
    155 x 6
    155 x 6

Dips
    4 x (6 x BW)

GPP
    3 hours digging

Comments

Happy with today. Worked out with my mate for the first time in a while as I really wanted to push it and needed a spot. 220 felt really easy so I thought **** it and went for 110kg (242), it was ok, I stuttered a little half way up and screamed at my mate cos he went to touch the bar, but I pushed through and it went up ok. I think I've found my limit for the time being and will be doing more volume in the future.

Chuffed with the DB PR too, my chest was really tired after the flat bench but I dug in and got it felt good. Football training was tough yesterday and I could tell I've put on weight as I've started gettin shin splints again. Digging was tough, only one more tide tomorrow I think so Wed is going to be a big DL day, aiming for 400.

Kiaran: Cheers pal! Aye it gets really cold on the beaches sometimes but it's worth it. The BB side bends I did with some of those premoulded Barbells they have in gyms if you get what I mean? Where you can't add any more weight to them, so yes they were weighted at both sides, is this wrong?

I was surprised when I watched the vid back how quick the DL looked, it didn't feel that easy but it's encouraging. I think because over the last few years I haven't done DL's, Squats or Low Volume Bench I haven't really realised what my strength boundaries are hence why I keep breaking PR's. The plateau will come soon but I'm just loving the increases at the moment, I think these last few weeks have been some of my most satisfying workouts ever.