The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Awesome work with the bench and incline DB PRs. Your strength is definitely on the move. You probably won't plateau for some time, bro. Just keep doing whatever you are doing until it stops producing results. For the side bends, try this: setup the squat rack with an empty bar, load one side of the bar with about 20 lbs (8-10 kgs), double up the collars just to be safe, take the weight out like you would a squat (I use high bar setup for this exercise), step out and begin bending towards the side that the weight is on and then back to start position. I do about 10 reps per side and what's cool about this exercise (or misery inducing rather) is that it works all layers of your core (I think there are about 3) while really targeting the obliques, which are weak in most people. You will feel like you just got done puking when you finish a few sets. You can sift through my log and find some photos in the past few weeks of me doing them. I warn you that they are hard and it does not take much weight. Be ready for it when you take the bar out, as you'll feel your core go nuts almost immediately. Try not to use your arms to push or pull on the bar, just try and hold the bar still as you bend. Also only bend as far as you are comfortable as you don't need a slipped disc or torn abdomen to achieve results with this exercise.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Nice work on the bench man. Our strength is pretty close. Should make for a nice race to 300lb bench. Good luck on the DL too, I just pulled 400 last week for the first time.

17th February 2009

Shoulders/Abs

Standing Military Press
    6 x 88
    6 x 110
    6 x 130
    6 x 130

Seated Lateral DB Raises
    6 x 22
    6 x 22
    6 x 33
    6 x 33

Upright Rows
    6 x 66
    6 x 77
    6 x 88
    6 x 99

BB Shrugs
    10 x 135
    10 x 220
    10 x 220

Uneven Barbell Side Bends
    8 x 22
    8 x 11
    8 x 11

Knee Raises
    3 x 8

Parallel Leg Raises
    3 x 8

Crunches
    3 x 8

GPP
    1 1/2 hours digging.

Comments

Legs were still a little tight from football and digging so decided to rest them a little. First time in maybe 2 years doing the standing millies, I found them very tough considering the amount I can DB Press but they really felt good. My back was going nuts trying to stabilise as I pushed up so as I work on form I think the weight will go up. Other stuff was ok, shoulders really feeling burnt out on the whole. No digging tomorrow so big DL day.

Kiaran: Cheers mate! I certainly hope I don't plateau soon as I'm really enjoying my workouts at the moment. Thanks for the guidance on the side bends, I was doing them wrong last week I guess, today I did them how you suggested and they were insane. I had to knock the weight down because even 10kg on the side was too much. They really hit my obliques and it was a weird feeling trying to shift the weight without using my arms, I think I'll be doing these more often for sure.

Elmx479: Cheers mate, I'm well up for a bit of friendly competition towards a 300lb Bench and 500lb Deadlift!

Your sides are gonna be sore, lol. Glad you enjoyed the side bends. Solid milies too, bro. Good luck on the DLs.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

18 th February 2009

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    4 x 155
    3 x 242
    2 x 330
    1 x 375
    1 x 396 PR (+22w)

Video

Chin ups
    4 x BW x 6

Bent over DB rows
    6 x 66
    6 x 77
    6 x 88
    6 x 88

BB Curls
    6 x 75
    6 x 75
    6 x 80
    6 x 80

Comments

Very pleased with the DL. Kept the volume low and went for the 400 but I only realised after I lifted the 180kg that it only equated to 396 so I'm a few lbs short! Never mind. I think with some flat shoes, chalk and maybe a belt I could set myself a new target of 450 before April. It actually didn't feel too bad, grip felt a bit loose coming down but that's it.

If anyone has critique on my form please say because it does look a little off to me, like my legs aren't in synch with my back, I dunno but any opinions are appreciated. Much better angle than last week but that light is ****ty, as is the gay background music. My gym is full of posers but it has a lot of weights and a power rack so it suits me fine.

Anyway good session, I'm going to increase the volume in the next few weeks and then go for a max session to see how I've improved.

Kiaran: Cheers pal, yea I was pretty sore this morning and my spinal erectors felt a bit stiff almost to the point where I thought about not doing DL's but I stretched and warmed up a lot and it seemed ok. Might have to have a day off tomorrow and leave squats til friday.

Congrats on the DL. Looked easy for you.

20th February 2009

Legs

Squats
    6 x 130
    4 x 220
    3 x 265
    2 x 285
    1 x 302 PR (+17w)
    15 x 130

Leg Extensions
    6 x 175
    6 x 195
    6 x 230
    6 x 245

Hamstring Curls
    6 x 130
    6 x 155
    6 x 180
    6 x 200

Standing Calf Raises
    12 x 130
    12 x 165
    12 x 165
    12 x 165

Comments

Good session. Went for lowish volume squats to see if I could hit 300. It felt OK and my form was good so that is positive. It did go up a little slower than normal but I wouldn't say I struggled. Was trying to kill some time with the 15 rep squats as someone was hogging the leg press, ended up doing extensions instead.

Anyway it seems as though I've nearly hit my goals 5 weeks early, to recap these were (By 30th March 2009):

Bench: 250
    Squat: 300
    Deadlift: 400
    Total: 950

And my actual 1RM's now as of 20th Feb 2009 are:

Bench: 240
    Squat: 302
    Deadlift: 396
    Total: 940

So I'm pretty close as it goes. I'm going to re-assess the goals for the end of March and also bump up my cals again. There are a few holes in my diet so I will be having bigger breakfasts, and increasing my PWO shake/meal. In Uni on Monday so I'm off til Tuesday, plenty of time to recoup and I'll be doing higher volume workouts.
    Last edited by mattburns; 02-20-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Lifts are looking nice throughout Matt.

Looking strong bro,keep up the good work!

24th February 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    175 x 5
    200 x 5
    220 x 3
    220 x 2

Incline DB Bench
    55 x 6
    66 x 6
    77 x 6
    77 x 6

Dips
    4 x (6 x BW)

Close Grip Bench
    120 x 6
    155 x 6
    155 x 6
    155 x 6

Comments

Solid session, higher volume than recently when maxing out but my main aim before 1st April is hypertrophy so my workouts will be having more volume.

Had a good weekend, good game of football, and caught up with some mates I haven't seen for a while, one of them asked me if I'd been on steroids so I'm taking that as a complement. Nice little ego boost I suppose, weigh in is on Friday I'm looking forward to seeing where I am.

Cocoa, Jumperzz: Cheers lads! Thanks for stopping by.

Obviously putting on some size, lol - good deal man.

Hey, bro, nice ****ing pull! Form looks great on that ****. Some might complain that your hips came up fast, blah blah blah, but that's exactly how I pull too. My hips always come up a little early and my lower back takes over. The only thing I would recommend is changing your setup. I used to do like you and get down to the bar and setup for several seconds/minutes before pulling. It wastes a lot of energy to stay squatted down at the bar while you clear your mind and get the grip perfect before a pull. That's why I now start by standing over the bar with my feet exactly where I want, clear my head, take a big breath, THEN bend down grab and go. Also, you might try closing your stance a little bit. Basically try to get the distance between your heels the same as the distance between your knees. You are tall, but you look like you got some long arms, so I'll bet you could afford to start with your hips a tad higher. Yep, higher. If you start too low you just waste energy and your hips will raise to the point where your leverage is greatest anyway. So why not just start them where they want to be?

Awesome squat PR too. You're just blowin it up lately, man. Good **** about someone asking about the steroids, lol. You're definitely lookin fit in the vids, bro. Keep it rolling.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

25th February 2009

Shoulders

Standing Military Press
    6 x 88
    6 x 130
    6 x 130
    6 x 110

Seated Lateral DB Raises
    6 x 27
    6 x 27
    6 x 27
    6 x 27

Upright Rows
    6 x 66
    6 x 77
    6 x 88
    6 x 99

BB Shrugs
    10 x 155
    10 x 220
    10 x 220

GPP
    2 Hours digging

Comments

Average session, was pretty physically drained from digging the night before, dug for 1 hour on one beach then moved to another to go for the bigger black worms and they were deep as out. Real hard work.

Millies really test me but I'm determined to push hard on them and get a decent weight up. Went digging again tonight just on the black lugworm and it was tough again, legs tomorrow and another session digging followed by football training, going to be pretty tired so planning on eating plenty of carbs.

Cocoa: Cheers mate!

Kiaran: Thanks for the kind words and commenting on the DL mate, I was hoping you would as I trust your opinion. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, that I get my hips up early but the important thing is my back is straight, right? I'll try out the things you suggest too, good shout about the getting down early, I think I'm trying to psych myself up a bit so doing it stood up would be better. Hopefully with these tweaks and me getting a belt/straps for my birthday I'll be looking at giving 450 a bash by April.

Great intensity with the shoulder presses, good job overall including the digging.

26th February 2009

Legs

Squats
    6 x 130
    6 x 175
    5 x 220
    4 x 245
    4 x 245

Leg Press
    6 x 330
    6 x 440
    6 x 440
    6 x 440

Hamstring Curls
    6 x 165
    6 x 175
    6 x 200
    6 x 200

Seated Calf Raises
    12 x 100
    12 x 120
    12 x 120

GPP
    2 hours digging

Comments

Knackered, could barely walk leaving the gym. Fair bit of volume on squats and it made the leg presses straight after hard work. Digging this evening is going to be tough on the hams, especially with football training straight afterwards.

Cocoa: Cheers pal. The standing presses are really blasting my shoulders, one day maybe I'll be pressing as much as yourself!

Really putting yourself to the test with all that's going on, props.

28 th February 2009

Back/Biís

Deadlifts
    6 x 155
    4 x 242
    4 x 242
    3 x 286
    2 x 330

Lat Pulldowns
    6 x 110
    6 x 175
    6 x 220
    6 x 220

Seated T-Bar Rows (Narrow Grip)
    6 x 110
    6 x 155
    6 x 200
    6 x 200

BB Curls
    8 x 75
    8 x 75
    8 x 85

Comments

Felt like crap after my breakfast, bad stomach. Grinded through the DL's then couldn't stomach chins so switched it up a bit so I could do whatever exercises sitting down. As it goes it was an OK session, good volume on deads and I think the T-bar rows is a PR.

Took yesterday off because I was a bit fatigued but had to dig again last night so didn't get a lot of rest.

Weigh In

226- 30th December 08
    229- 30th January 09
    240- 28th February 09

VERY happy with this. 240 was my goal for 30th March so I'm ahead of schedule, but I think at least 5-7lbs can be attributed to water weight from the creatine. Either way I'm happy with the progress and plan on bumping up my cals/protein a bit and pushing for 245.

Cocoa:Thanks a lot pal, it's been a busy week!

Solid pull day effort bro.

1st March 2009

Chest/Triís

Bench Press
    130 x 6
    175 x 6
    220 x 4 PR (+1r)
    220 x 3
    220 x 2

Incline DB Bench
    55 x 6
    66 x 6
    77 x 6
    82.5 x 6

Close Grip Bench
    90 x 6
    130 x 6
    175 x 6
    175 x 6 PR (+20w)

Dips
    4 x (6 x BW)

Comments

Not a bad session. My birthday on Friday and I'm at University Thur/Fri so I'm working out a day early this week.

Took my monthly measurements after weigh-in yesterday, not bad. 1cm on my arms which is ok but I still need a lot more, an inch on my chest and an inch on each thigh which is a major boost. The downside is none of my decent jeans fit me now! Went to watch the football in some yesterday and they were a bit too tight on the top of my thighs making me walk as if I'd crapped my pants haha.

Coke: Cheers pal!
    Last edited by mattburns; 03-01-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Good work on the bench, you should have a new 1RM PR soon. I hear ya on the pants. I had to buy some new jeans and order new work pants after I starting squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    ...The downside is none of my decent jeans fit me now! Went to watch the football in some yesterday and they were a bit too tight on the top of my thighs making me walk as if I'd crapped my pants haha.
    It happens to us lifters, lol - that's a good deal dude.

2nd March 2009

Shoulders/Abs

Standing Military Press
    6 x 88
    6 x 110
    6 x 130
    6 x 143

Seated Lateral DB Raises
    6 x 27
    6 x 27
    6 x 27
    6 x 27

Upright Rows
    6 x 66
    6 x 77
    6 x 88
    6 x 99

BB Shrugs
    10 x 120
    10 x 220
    10 x 220

Crunches
    3 x 8

Comments

Not bad, Millies felt better today and I think I'll be lifting more soon. I wanted to do more crunches but I've got a pain in my upper groin/testicle area. Felt it last night after football training and I have a worrying feeling it's a hernia, it's a little bit inflamed and hurts whenever I move. Lifting wasn't too bad only when I stopped. Think I will sleep on it and see how it is tomorrow and if it's the same I'll go to the docs. Really hope it's just a groin strain and not a hernia .

Coke: Cheers pal, I guess I'll have to get used to things like this!

ELmx479: Thanks mate aye hopefully my 1RM will shoot up a bit, 100kg(220lb) seemed like such a milestone when I lifted it and now it feels easy so I think 250 will be attainable very soon.

Hope that's just a strain and will clear soon...nice shoulder day.

Cheers coke.

I went to the Doc's this morning and he examined me and said I had just strained my groin/abdomen, in the area shown in the pic below-

He told me to take it easy so I think I may have to give Back and Legs workouts a miss for the greater good. Back from University next Monday night after my birthday weekend where I will no doubt get drunk but I plan on keeping my diet in check otherwise and just doing some light stretches until I can train again next Tuesday.

Bit of a pain in the arse and could do without the injury but I'll just treat the next 7 days as a rest and hopefully I can get straight back into it. Missing two workouts isn't the end of the world I suppose.

Hey, bro. Looks like I missed a bit going on in here lately. Congrats on making it to 240 on that weight. 11 lbs in a month is pretty damn impressive. Water weight or not, you know you've gained some muscle. Nice work, bro. Btw, happy birthday coming up. How old are you going to be?

Lol at the remark on jeans being too tight. I've gone through several pairs of jeans in the last couple years from the exact same thing. Legs get bigger then it pulls everything a bit to snug and you start walking funny. Get a bigger pair.

Nice work on straining that groin too! Just messin with ya. I did the EXACT same thing last year during some GHR Situps. Just went back too far and that was it. Freaked out and thought I had a hernia, etc. Pulled groin/abdominal. There are so many muscles there it is hard to say which one you hurt. Just rest it and don't overdo it for several weeks, bro. Mine took several months to heal up cause I was stupid and kept working out on top of it. It can feel like someone smacked you in the nuts for sure though
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs