The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Lacrosse Baller

Are set routines a waste of time?

Hmm...well for a long time i was doing the whole tracking of every excersise and how much weight and how many reps. I got good progress from that but now i have been lifting with this MASSIVE mofo who is really really buff and in great shape - no hes not a roider.

Anyways I lifted with him this whole week b/c i had no skool (spring break) and no lacrosse practice. We did a body part a day
    mon - arms
    tues - back
    wed - shoulders
    thurs - legs
    friday - chest

anyways he just told me to come in the gym and do as many excersises and reps as it takes to thouroughly work the muscle for that day. he doesnt bother with set workout rountes and the whole 3X10 stuff. usually we do like a warmup of 20 reps then go down to 6 reps and use as much weight as possible w/ good form.

I have only done this for one week but personally i think its a lot better. Not only does it make things simpler but it doesnt let my body adjust to the workout and i can alter the workout depending on how i feel as opposed to sticking to a rigid routine.

Any thoughts?
    Lacrosse Rules.

Dominik Hasek is the best goalie in the world - bar none.

Lifting Kicks Ass.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This has basically been my school of thought for over a year. I have set days for different body parts but I don't have set exercises that I do. (except for power-clean, squats, deadlifts, dips and chins, i do these religiously) I like to mix up my routine and hit what I think needs to be hit and do it until I feel it. My rep range has been around 6-8 for almost a year and I've seen great improvements since going down this track. But different things work for different people, do what you feel gets you the best results.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Just because someone is big doesn't mean they are smart.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

This so-called dynamic routine can have some bonuses, but there needs to be some structure. Varying the volume, intensity, and even some of the exercises according to your personal input at each session is a good way to do things, but not there still has to be some focus or point to things.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Personally I feel more motivated when I can clearly track my progress in each lift. I used to this something similar and I've definitely gotten more serious about pushing myself once I settled down with a routine and a notebook.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

That's what I'm talking about. I do keep track of that. But I also leave room for change in the form of the order of certain exercises, the number of sets, reps, load, etc, in the non-major lift of the day, and so forth. It makes things a lot easier.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock