Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MY BEGINNER ROUTINE ( good or bad? ) any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Louie Simmons taught us well that moving weight fast is pretty ****ing useful. The differences between a PC and a DE deadlift aren't particularly notable
    Louie Simmons also hates the olympic lifts and believes they are mostly useless to powerlifters. DE is not similar to olympic lifting at all, and DE isn't particularly valuable to bodybuilders anyways -- the faster the weight moves, the less time they are under tension.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-31-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    Louie Simmons also hates the olympic lifts and believes they are mostly useless to powerlifters. DE is not similar to olympic lifting at all, and DE isn't particularly valuable to bodybuilders anyways -- the faster the weight moves, the less time they are under tension.
    Well its a damn good thing the OP also wants to play sports and isnt a powerlifter nor exclusively a BBer.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-31-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Ogrok, just because Rippetoe and the SS routine have become very popular in the last year or so, doesn't mean that you have to hate him and his training methods.

His S*** works. How can you argue, really? Is it the only way? No not really. But is it a damn good way to train? Hell ya it is!!

Also, how are power cleans not good bodybuilding exercises? My shoulders and traps finally started to grow like weeds since I started doing cleans. Those were always my lagging bodyparts too. Just because power cleans do MORE then just build muscle, doesn't mean that they aren't good bodybuilding exercises. God forbid they may actually help the OP to do other things besides just look good.

In a nutshell, bodybuilding is really all about diet. Building muscle is done simply by lifting heavy things and eating a lot. Getting all cut is done by eating clean and in a caloric deficit. Therefore, I still fail to see how SS or a similar program is not a good "bodybuilding" routine.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    I have a question about the bar that I am using.
    Would It be okay to use the same 5 ft bar i use for my bench, for my deadlift and squat? That is, untill I get the recommended one.
    Last edited by BG_011; 12-31-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Ogrok, just because Rippetoe and the SS routine have become very popular in the last year or so, doesn't mean that you have to hate him and his training methods.

His S*** works. How can you argue, really? Is it the only way? No not really. But is it a damn good way to train? Hell ya it is!!

Also, how are power cleans not good bodybuilding exercises? My shoulders and traps finally started to grow like weeds since I started doing cleans. Those were always my lagging bodyparts too. Just because power cleans do MORE then just build muscle, doesn't mean that they aren't good bodybuilding exercises. God forbid they may actually help the OP to do other things besides just look good.

In a nutshell, bodybuilding is really all about diet. Building muscle is done simply by lifting heavy things and eating a lot. Getting all cut is done by eating clean and in a caloric deficit. Therefore, I still fail to see how SS or a similar program is not a good "bodybuilding" routine.
    My main problem with Rippetoe is that uninformed people on the internet think his routines are the only way to train, or "the optimal" way to train. It's all bull****, there is absolutely no such thing as "the best routine" or the "best program", or even "the optimal routine" because it is 100% about the way your respond to your training, and everybody is different. Also, despite your anecdotal evidence, powercleans suck as a bodybuilding exercise, they are done explosively and explosive training is inferior for hypertrophy purposes when compared to the slower grinding lifts because there is very limited time in which the muscle is under tension, which means less microtrauma occurs than in a slower lift. There is very limited time in which the muscle is under stress during the olympic lifts, and most of the power is generated by your hips/glutes. Your shoulders and traps would likely have been much bigger if instead you had just done 5-7 sets of shrugs and overheads instead of powercleans (I know shrugs are a forbidden lift along with curls and tricep extensions according to the internet). Secondly, unless you had been using the powercleans for 3+ months these results were placebo, it's simply not possible to build a noticeable amount of muscle overnight.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-31-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Well its a damn good thing the OP also wants to play sports and isnt a powerlifter nor exclusively a BBer.
    I was responding to Kastro, who saying that olympic lifts have the same benefits as dynamic effort work, which isn't true even according to the man whose authority he invoked (Louie Simmons).
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-31-2008 at 01:51 PM.