The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9

    MY BEGINNER ROUTINE ( good or bad? ) any advice?

    Hi,

    I would like to start bodybuilding and have already decided on a routine, but i would like to be sure that it is the right one for me. I've read many articles about all kinds of routines and tips, and have learned many things about the sport. I am 15 and 4 months old and am highly active in all kinds of sports, mainly basketball and football though. I have a lean body build and add on tone quickly. I eat very healthy, but i should definitely start eating alot more! Im mostly interesting in gaining muscle in all the areas of the body. I am going to list my routine below, and i would like to know if this is good for me to start with and if i'm over training.

    6 Month Multiple Set Routine - Full Body Workout - 3 days a week

    Total Exercises: 11 Total Compound: 6 Total Isolation: 5

    Order of Exercises

    Bench Press - 2-3 sets, 10 reps

    DB One Arm Rows - 2-3, 8

    DB Curls - 2-3 , 10

    DB Squats - 2-3 , 10

    Shoulder Press - 2-3, 10

    Palms-Up wrist Curls - 3-4, 12

    DB Upright Rows - 2-3 , 10

    Bench Dips - 2-3, 10

    Lateral Raises - 2-3, 10

    Leg Extensions - 2-3, 15

    Calf Raises - 2-3, 15

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member ELmx479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,752
    Bad, very bad.

    Workout 1
    Squat 3X5
    Bench Press 3X5
    Dead Lift 1X5

    Workout 2
    Squat 3X5
    Standing Overhead Press 3X5
    Rows 3X5 (until you learn to power clean)

    Alternate each workout every other day. Ex: Mon-wo 1, wed-wo 2, fri-wo 1, mon-wo 2, etc..
    Start at a very, very light weight (the bar if you have to until you learn proper form) move up 5lbs per workout.

    Here are plenty of vids to learn from.. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=0&oq=mark+rip
    Last edited by ELmx479; 12-29-2008 at 09:33 PM.

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Reaallyy?
    Wow, It's that bad?
    Am I overtraining? I've seen many videos on youtube and have nearly perfected my form for each exercise I have listed. I'm mainly focused on my form as I am doing the workouts. I've already started this routine last week and have seen gains but am just making sure.

  5. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Should I split up my routine?

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    Elmx just told you what to do.

  7. #6
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Elmx just told you what to do.
    It's not like that's the only effective way for a beginner to train. Hard work = results.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-29-2008 at 10:22 PM.

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Yes, Kastro you're right. Elmx did tell me what I should do and I shouldnt have asked him if I should "split up my routine" above, when he have me a whole new one.

    But now im curious to know why mine is bad, and thts actually been my question.
    Could either of you please explain that to me?

    And thank you OGROK. I most likely won't use the routine that Elmx gave me. But, I will use the idea of the split and the
    Mon-wo #1, Wed-wo #2, Fri-wo #1, Mon-wo #1 set up.

  9. #8
    Senior Member ELmx479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by BG_011 View Post
    Reaallyy?
    Wow, It's that bad?
    Am I overtraining? I've seen many videos on youtube and have nearly perfected my form for each exercise I have listed. I'm mainly focused on my form as I am doing the workouts. I've already started this routine last week and have seen gains but am just making sure.
    The reason it is bad is because you are a beginner. You need to build a solid base of strength and mass. That is great that you focus on form, you should. You can go ahead and do your program and you will see some gains as a beginner BUT, if you watch the Rippetoe vids, learn the lifts and do that program you will get much stronger, bigger and have a more balanced body to work with in the future. I started lifting when i was 15, 145lbs and wish I knew what I do now. I worked out off and on over the years and started back up using the program I gave you with pull ups and dips and I have gained almost 20lbs in 10 weeks so far. My arms went from 15 to 15.5 inches (not after my workout, no pump) without ever doing a single curl. Take it or leave it man, its up to you.


    Ex: with pull up & dips (not bench dips)
    Workout 1
    Squat 3X5
    Bench Press 3X5
    Dead Lift 1X5
    Pull Up 3 X failure (when you can hit 10-12 reps add weight)

    Workout 2
    Squat 3X5
    Standing Overhead Press 3X5
    Rows 3X5 (until you learn to power clean)
    Dips 3 X failure ( same thing, add weight when you can do 10-12)
    Last edited by ELmx479; 12-30-2008 at 03:04 PM.

  10. #9
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Bad, very bad.

    Workout 1
    Squat 3X5
    Bench Press 3X5
    Dead Lift 1X5

    Workout 2
    Squat 3X5
    Standing Overhead Press 3X5
    Rows 3X5 (until you learn to power clean)

    Alternate each workout every other day. Ex: Mon-wo 1, wed-wo 2, fri-wo 1, mon-wo 2, etc..
    Start at a very, very light weight (the bar if you have to until you learn proper form) move up 5lbs per workout.

    Here are plenty of vids to learn from.. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=0&oq=mark+rip

    This is probably the most efficient way to reach your goals.
    Sarvamangalam!

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    It mostly sucks because your choice of exercises sucks. That, and you'll stall within a month.

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    The reason it is bad is because you are a beginner. You need to build a solid base of strength and mass. That is great that you focus on form, you should. You can go ahead and do your program and you will see some gains as a beginner BUT, if you watch the Rippetoe vids, learn the lifts and do that program you will get much stronger, bigger and have a more balanced body to work with in the future. I started lifting when i was 15, 145lbs and wish I knew what I do now. I worked out off and on over the years and started back up using the program I gave you with pull ups and dips and I have gained almost 20lbs in 10 weeks so far. My arms went from 15 to 15.5 inches (not after my workout, no pump) without ever doing a single curl. Take it or leave it man, its up to you.


    Ex: with pull up & dips (not bench dips)
    Workout 1
    Squat 3X5
    Bench Press 3X5
    Dead Lift 1X5
    Pull Up 3 X failure (when you can hit 10-12 reps add weight)

    Workout 2
    Squat 3X5
    Standing Overhead Press 3X5
    Rows 3X5 (until you learn to power clean)
    Dips 3 X failure ( same thing, add weight when you can do 10-12)
    Okay Elmx, I will try your routine. How long of a period should i stick with it? Also, you mentioned that the reason the routine i was going to use was bad for me was because Iím a beginner. So, by this do you mean, once i build a solid base of strength and mass, I could go into that routine or should i just scrap it and forget about it totally?

    Is there any exercise that I could do to replace a deadlift? Iím afraid because I donít want to cause any injury to my back.

  13. #12
    Senior Member snikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    315
    Basically if you want to get stronger, you just have to put in the effort and switch up your routine if you start to stall. Even if you don't use a recommended routine (but are doing everything correctly), you will get bigger and stronger, but it won't be as effective as the tried-and-true ones. By effective I mean your gains might come slower. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because this is what I'm thinking & I don't want to have the wrong idea of lifting.
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs

  14. #13
    Loves gravy mattburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by BG_011 View Post
    Is there any exercise that I could do to replace a deadlift? Iím afraid because I donít want to cause any injury to my back.
    You won't if you use correct form mate, in fact quite the opposite. Watch some vids online for form, start with low weights and you'll be fine.

  15. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    You won't if you use correct form mate, in fact quite the opposite. Watch some vids online for form, start with low weights and you'll be fine.
    How low do you think i should go? im not too big, aside from having broad shoulders and chest. My body is pretty balanced and is pretty cut. The thing is, I've never lifted heavy weights before. I've usually stuck wit 8-15 pounds, aside from my bench which is around 100. So, im not sure what a good starting weight for me for deadlifts would be. I'm 5'10 and 143 pounds.

  16. #15
    Senior Member ELmx479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,752
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...aq=2&oq=rippet

    There ya go. Plenty of DL advise.

    Also, glad to hear you are open to try what is best for you.
    Here is a ton of info for, make sure you take your time and read it.. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ
    Last edited by ELmx479; 12-30-2008 at 06:13 PM.

  17. #16
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by BG_011 View Post
    How low do you think i should go? im not too big, aside from having broad shoulders and chest. My body is pretty balanced and is pretty cut. The thing is, I've never lifted heavy weights before. I've usually stuck wit 8-15 pounds, aside from my bench which is around 100. So, im not sure what a good starting weight for me for deadlifts would be. I'm 5'10 and 143 pounds.


    To put it shortly, go as heavy as you can for that amount of sets and reps. Start a bulk. Count your calories. Its time to start EATING. Id probably bulk slowly up to your desired weight. It will take some time but if you stick with it you will reap many gains. I know it doesnt look like a "BodyBuilding" routine but this one will have you bigger, thicker and stronger much faster.

    Read about clean form, watch olympic videos of clean& jerks, try to learn to do them. It takes time but it seems like you are willing to put in the effort. This movement is invaluable and you will love it once you start. Its not necessarily a BBing movement but your should still do it.

    Here are some helpful links
    http://wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=281
    http://wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=275
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565
    http://wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=177
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-30-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

  18. #17
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997
    I disagree with the power cleans, it's just doesn't have much value as a bodybuilding movement. You are better off spending that time learning to row, squat, bench and deadlift correctly as these movements are much better at building muscle. In my current routine there is absolutely no room for power cleans or anything that has dubious training value, I spend an entire day doing nothing but seven sets of squats and another day doing six or seven sets of deadlifts. Also, there is nothing special about Starting Strength, you can make better gains just by working your ass off at the gym, focusing on getting stronger and upping your workload.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-30-2008 at 07:02 PM.

  19. #18
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    I disagree with the power cleans, it's just doesn't have much value as a bodybuilding movement. You are better off spending that time learning to row, squat, bench and deadlift correctly as these movements are much better at building muscle. In my current routine there is absolutely no room for power cleans or anything that has dubious training value, I spend an entire day doing nothing but seven sets of squats and another day doing six or seven sets of deadlifts. Also, there is nothing special about Starting Strength, you can make better gains just by working your ass off at the gym, focusing on getting stronger and upping your workload.

    Quote Originally Posted by BG_011 View Post
    am highly active in all kinds of sports, mainly basketball and football though.
    ....


    Im not gonna argue with you man.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-30-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

  20. #19
    Senior Member OGROK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    997
    It doesn't matter, if he is serious about these sports (which I doubt he is because he is 15 years old and it sounds like he is playing them for fun and not competitively), then he will end up on a team and his coach will force him to do power cleans and it won't matter in the end. But he made this thread to ask about bodybuilding, and my answer is that power cleans are not very useful for bodybuilders.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-30-2008 at 07:06 PM.

  21. #20
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    It doesn't matter, if he is serious about these sports (which I doubt he is because he is 15 years old and it sounds like he is playing them for fun and not competitively), then he will end up on a team and his coach will force him to do power cleans and it won't matter in the end. But he made this thread to ask about bodybuilding, and my answer is that power cleans are not very useful for bodybuilders.
    Did you get that from when he said:

    Quote Originally Posted by BG_011 View Post
    . I am 15 and 4 months old and am highly active in all kinds of sports, mainly basketball and football though. I have a lean body build and add on tone quickly.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-30-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

  22. #21
    Squat junkie Painzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,127
    OP, I can tell you that the routine that Elmx gave you is a good routine for beginners. Much better than the one you posted. Give it a try, I promise you will really appreciate the results.

    Elm says his biceps wen from 15 inches to 15.5 inches without ever doing a curl... mine went from 14 to 14.75 in 4 months without ever doing a curl. In fact, I started doing a lot more lower body work, as a result, my upper body got bigger.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

    Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

    Total - 1236 (1168.4)

    Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

    The Quest

  23. #22
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Thank you, Elmx. I need to listen and take all the advice i can get. After all, that's why i made this thread. Im a beginner and I need to act like one so i can learn, and not make as many mistakes as i would without your help. I was going to ask one last question but then i read MOST of the link you sent me and it was answered.

    Thank You, ZenMonkey as well for your links. Right now im trying to figure out how many calories I need a day based on your links.

  24. #23
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    It doesn't matter, if he is serious about these sports (which I doubt he is because he is 15 years old and it sounds like he is playing them for fun and not competitively), then he will end up on a team and his coach will force him to do power cleans and it won't matter in the end.

    OGROK, that is totally false. I don't think my age matters as to how serious I am about my goals and sports. I am very serious about basketball. (a little less football though i admit, i play only on my high school team) But, as for basketball,I've played at the Triple-A level for 5 years now and am working to making the Serbian Red Star team by the age of 16,17. Hopefully the Strength Training program will make the chances of this even more likely.
    Wow and just to say, i canttt believe how much i've learned from this little thread!

  25. #24
    Senior Member ELmx479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by BG_011 View Post
    Thank you, Elmx. I need to listen and take all the advice i can get. After all, that's why i made this thread. Im a beginner and I need to act like one so i can learn, and not make as many mistakes as i would without your help. I was going to ask one last question but then i read MOST of the link you sent me and it was answered.

    Thank You, ZenMonkey as well for your links. Right now im trying to figure out how many calories I need a day based on your links.
    Your welcome, and yes you will see a good bit of your questions answered in that link. Just take your time and do plenty of research and make sure you get your form down even if you have to use the bar for a week. It will pay in the long run. Myself, I don't do power cleans because of my elbow but they are indeed and great lift to learn down the road for you. As for what to eat, just do some research on this site and you will find plenty of info. I weigh more than you but I shoot for 4000 calories a day. Around 400g carbs, 250g protein, and 100g fat from foods like eggs, tuna, cheese, chicken, peanut butter, milk, oatmeal, wheat bread, sweet potato, fruit, vegetables, pasta, protein shakes, etc...

  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    I disagree with the power cleans, it's just doesn't have much value as a bodybuilding movement. You are better off spending that time learning to row, squat, bench and deadlift correctly as these movements are much better at building muscle.
    Louie Simmons taught us well that moving weight fast is pretty ****ing useful. The differences between a PC and a DE deadlift aren't particularly notable.

    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    Also, there is nothing special about Starting Strength, you can make better gains just by working your ass off at the gym, focusing on getting stronger and upping your workload.
    You just described SS in a nutshell.
    Last edited by Kastro; 12-30-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. My routine...good or bad?
    By Albertz in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 07:20 PM
  2. My routine...bad or good?
    By Albertz in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:33 PM
  3. Looking for feedback on this routine / advice (sorta wbb1)
    By mkerr in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2005, 03:39 PM
  4. Advice on good ab routine to strenghten abs
    By eatdirt40 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 05:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •