Thread: Cut Body Contest!

Cut Body Contest!

Me and my friend are having contest to see who can get THE most cut body. Contest started December 23rd, at 12:10 AM. Will go to June 6th at 12:00 PM

now the main issue is

HOW DO I WIN?

I run daily already, so I'm going to continue that
    We're judging on abs, pecs, chest, arms, and maybe lats.

At the moment I'm 5'10 and 144. I wanna get that up to about 160.

Any suggestions would be helpful =D

PROGRESS
    Day 1- 3 sets of 45 push ups; 2 mile run; 12 sets/28 reps of 15 pound curls throughout the day. Weight- 145.6
    Day 2- GIRLFRIEND LEFT ME FOR SOMEONE ELSE: Gives me more motivation and more time to work out :o!
    Last edited by K Y L E; 12-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Are you talking cut as in cutting bodyfat/weight, or cut as in "ripped"? Because it will probably be hard to cut bodyfat while trying to gain weight.

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    Well you have 7 months (now more like 6) to work with. I have to get in shape for racing but I'll be bulking until March 20th and then cutting to get into race shape. So you should do somthing like bulk for 4 months and then cut for 2.

My bet though is after bulking for 4 months you will be so happy with your progress that you will say scew the bet and continue to lift heavy and eat lots.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

KYLE - I would look around on the forums for some basic hypertrophy and bulking programs. I have suggested a few to some guys in the supplements forum who were football players and it sounds like they could work well for you.

Ideall you want to try to gain about 1 lbs / week for the next 15 weeks. At that point you can change your diet to maintenance calories and eat very clean while also altering your training for improved body composition.

During the 15 week bulk period I would do the following:
    - Incorporate heavy compound lifts.
    - Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night.
    - Drink a high quality protein shake after every training session (Opticen is great for this)
    - Eat every couple of hours, high complex carbs and a lot of lean protein sources.
    - Train with weights 3-4 times per week. (Periodization program in the 8-10 rep range, high intensity)
    - Try to consume about 1/2 gallon of skim milk daily.
    - Strive for at least 1 gram protein per pound of bodyweight daily.

Stay focused and track your progress... don't be afraid to ask questions on here.

When you switch to your lean mass phase you will cut out the milk, keep protein high, and slightly lower the carbs. Training stays the same and perhaps add in a Nitrean protein shake between meals for additional protein. Add in 3-4 20 minute cardio sessions weekly doing low intensity work on a treadmill, elliptical, or stairmaster.

Your 'body composition' phase will last 8 weeks and during that period your goal is to maintain bodyweight. This should leave you at around 5'11, 155-160 lbs and 10% bodyfat (potentially slightly lower depending on genetics and discipline).

Good luck!
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

It gonna take a spot on diet. Id probably do Starting Strength by Rippetoe.

All you need is counted calories and basic compound movements- HEAVY WEIGHT & LOW REPS

I think a "hypertrophy program" might sell yourself short on certain gains. All YOU need for hypertrophy is more food.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-23-2008 at 08:38 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    It gonna take a spot on diet. Id probably do Starting Strength by Rippetoe.

All you need is counted calories and basic compound movements- HEAVY WEIGHT & LOW REPS

I think a "hypertrophy program" might sell yourself short on certain gains. All YOU need for hypertrophy is more food.
    For bodybuilding goals I would suggest a bodybuilding program. A powerlifting program will help him to gain strength which in the long run may lead to more muscle, but for his physique goals he is better off working on gaining as much hypertrophy and symmetry as possible.

You can gain muscle doing sets of 5, and I would recommend including some heavy training. But with that being said you also want to do a lot of drop sets and supersets to activate and isolate as much muscle as possible.

If you look at the physique differences from Natural Bodybuilders to Natural Powerlifters it is pretty clear that training and diet are very important. The powerlifters in many cases may have more overall mass and strength but the bodybuilders will of course have been asthetics - which is what Kyle is going for with his "cut body contest".
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Tom, I agree with you completely but

Quote Originally Posted by K Y L E View Post

At the moment I'm 5'11 and 144.
    He is quite far away from needing to worry about training like a BBer.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-23-2008 at 09:26 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Zen people can train like a BBer at any weight... I would also recommend a BBing routine. Just make sure it includes all the important lifts. And lots of food of course.

Hire Mark Twight to train you. He's had pretty cut success with getting people lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Hire Mark Twight to train you. He's had pretty cut success with getting people lean.
    or just follow CrossFit for free...
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    or just follow CrossFit for free...
    Similar principles, but GymJones continues to evolve. And, having someone to scream in your face certainly doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by Auburn; 12-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Im not saying a BB routine would not work. I am saying that there are splits that can give more efficient ways to achieve results.
    Sarvamangalam!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    For bodybuilding goals I would suggest a bodybuilding program. A powerlifting program will help him to gain strength which in the long run may lead to more muscle, but for his physique goals he is better off working on gaining as much hypertrophy and symmetry as possible.

You can gain muscle doing sets of 5, and I would recommend including some heavy training. But with that being said you also want to do a lot of drop sets and supersets to activate and isolate as much muscle as possible.

If you look at the physique differences from Natural Bodybuilders to Natural Powerlifters it is pretty clear that training and diet are very important. The powerlifters in many cases may have more overall mass and strength but the bodybuilders will of course have been asthetics - which is what Kyle is going for with his "cut body contest".
    However look at what they are going to be judging on....abs, pecs, arms, chest, and maybe lats. And the goal is to be "cut".

Doing a "bodybuilding" program based on that, is going to lead to muscle imbalance and possibly injury. The OP would be MUCH better off doing the basic compounds for a while beforehand to get a feel for his body and how it works together.

Even if he does a more traditional BB split (where legs and back are worked) at 5'10" and 144 pounds the LAST thing he needs is a ton of isolation work (which most BB programs focus on)

And Zen Monkey is absolutely correct about "hypertrophy programs". Food determines the success of a "hypertrophy" program, not the routine. That being so, he does not have to worry about a "hypertrophy program" for now anyway. Given his height, weight and time limits, the amount of additional muscle that he MIGHT gain from a "hypertrophy" regime (as compared to a 5x5) or Rippetoe program is very likely to be negligible. The best hypertrophy program by far is eating more.

Yes the differences between Natural bodybuilders and Natural powerlifters can be quite remarkable...but they've been doing this for years.
    For a beginner or false beginner (judging by the info provided by the OP) these differences are really nothing to worry about.

This is not to say that he can't train like a BB'er (should those be his goals) sometime in the future. But the contest is only about six months away and given his weight and height it doesn't sound like he's a genetic freak that gains muscle quickly. Therefore a basic routine involving the big compounds that hit the most muscle would probably be preferable and take less time up. And regardless the contest is about who is the most "cut"...which is all about diet anyway..,the training's just done to ensure you have some muscle and look "ripped" as compared to being skinny fat.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 12-24-2008 at 02:37 AM.

Sorry to sound stupid, but where can I get more information on the "hypertrophy" program/diet? And thank you all for the advice

Wannabebig Member
    Do exactly what Tom said: focus first on bulking and putting on muscle mass. This will involve eating a TON and likely increasing protein intake dramatically. Train and eat for the next 5 months, then the last month spend eating cleaner, reduce carb intake, and add more cardio.
    6'2
    250lbs
    Raw Bench- 420lbs

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Ronnie Coleman

Sorry to sound stupid, but where can I get more information on the "hypertrophy" program/diet? And thank you all for the advice
    Hypertrophy (in this context) is the name for when your muscle cells get bigger. A hypertrophy program is any program designed to build muscle, but there is not a specific "Hypertrophy Program."
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    // Mark Twain

Habingus
    I know DD will want in on this.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Try lifting weights, doing cardio, and eating less. Also never use the words "cut body" again or get into a "cut body contest" with your "friend"
    Roll Tide.

Habingus
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Try lifting weights, doing cardio, and eating less. Also never use the words "cut body" again or get into a "cut body contest" with your "friend"
    Wanna have a fat body contest? We will use the Wilkes thingy to figure out who is fatter lb for lb.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Darn, I thought the thread title was "Cute" Body Contest. Was hoping for some cute chick pix.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I too would like to know this, what is the Starting Strength of Hyperthrophy programs? I want to actually look like I workout now (I been on SS for 4 months or so)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by foth View Post
    what is the Starting Strength of Hyperthrophy programs?
    IDK

I herd U wont gain muscle on SS?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    IDK

I herd U wont gain muscle on SS?
    hahahaha... I know, I know the answer!!!!

Is it.... Starting Strength with more food?
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    No brah, he needs a HYPERTROPHY program, not a strength program.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    No brah, he needs a HYPERTROPHY program, not a strength program.
    damn!!
    Sarvamangalam!