Thread: westside barbell

Banned

westside barbell

Ok I been on this for 4 weeks, am I doing this right?

Mon
    Flat banch, work my way up to my 5rm
    Incline db press 3x8-10
    Bb row 4 sets of 10
    Rope pulls to throat 3x12-15

Wed
    Squat work my way to 5rm
    Lunges 3x10
    Leg curls 3x10
    Wrist rolls 3 x timed

Friday rep day
    Chain elevated push ups 3xfail
    Skull crushers 4x10
    Chin ups with olimpic rings
    Dumbell press 3x12-15
    Bb curls 3x10

1. Why wouldn't you ask a Westside question in the powerlifting section?
    2. I'm pretty sure that this isn't what they do at Westside. I can't say for sure because I don't train there.
    3. What does this have to do with Westside?
    Roll Tide.

4.why ask so many questions?
    Last edited by powerboy93; 01-01-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by powerboy93 View Post
    4.why ask so many questions?
    You only asked one question. Why is it number 4?
    Roll Tide.

TJW
    I believe he is doing DeFranco's WS4SB. I'm doing it also and your template looks fine. But what I've learned, am still learning is to change exercises so you work on weaknesses. Don't forget to change things up every so often and that includes rep ranges and sets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    I believe he is doing DeFranco's WS4SB. I'm doing it also and your template looks fine. But what I've learned, am still learning is to change exercises so you work on weaknesses. Don't forget to change things up every so often and that includes rep ranges and sets.
    Thanks a real answer, yea I'm doing his, how is it working for you

Banned
    Seriously man - do the work - quit asking questions. This is about the 243rd time you've posted a similiar thread...

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Al19067 View Post
    Thanks a real answer, yea I'm doing his, how is it working for you
    It's working pretty well for me. My deadlift is getting really strong by rotating regular deads, deficit deads, and snatch grip deads. I'm going to add in rack pulls once I get back to school. For bench it is a little slower. So far I have rotated bench, close grip, 2 board(1 week because I don't really have a spotter at home), and I think I am going to add incline and wide grip. Another thing I am going to change is based off of Matt Rhodes' article and DeFranco's newest idea(I believe) where you use a lift for 3 weeks and go for a 5RM, 3RM, and 1RM. Hopefully this will help me some.

The main thing I have learned is to just go out and experiment with different exercises to see what works and what doesn't. Hope it's working for you.

Banned
    It's working pretty well for me. My deadlift is getting really strong by rotating regular deads, deficit deads, and snatch grip deads. I'm going to add in rack pulls once I get back to school. For bench it is a little slower. So far I have rotated bench, close grip, 2 board(1 week because I don't really have a spotter at home), and I think I am going to add incline and wide grip. Another thing I am going to change is based off of Matt Rhodes' article and DeFranco's newest idea(I believe) where you use a lift for 3 weeks and go for a 5RM, 3RM, and 1RM. Hopefully this will help me some.

The main thing I have learned is to just go out and experiment with different exercises to see what works and what doesn't. Hope it's working for you.
    Have u been just lifting 3 days a week?

TJW
    Yeah, I only lift MWF, and do some cardio 2-4 times a week. I had thought about having 2 leg days and 2 upper days but I didn't feel like it my first time trying it. I like 3 days a week and don't really see myself switching.

Banned
    Yeah, I only lift MWF, and do some cardio 2-4 times a week. I had thought about having 2 leg days and 2 upper days but I didn't feel like it my first time trying it. I like 3 days a week and don't really see myself switching.
    Yea that's wat I been doing with tues/thru cardio, my bench went up about 15 pounds, I just hope this puts some muscle on

TJW
    Yea that's wat I been doing with tues/thru cardio, my bench went up about 15 pounds, I just hope this puts some muscle on
    How long have you been doing this program? What ME exercises do you rotate for bench? How long do you do each lift? Just trying to see what others are doing.

Banned
    How long have you been doing this program? What ME exercises do you rotate for bench? How long do you do each lift? Just trying to see what others are doing.
    I been doing it now for 4 weeks, ion ME I do flatbench, bout 5 sets till I hot 5rm, then I do 3 sets of incline db for about 8 to 10 reps, then I go to cable row with longbar for 4 sets of 10 then I go to face pulls for 3 sets of 15, and I do that for for 2 weeks and switch to my 3rm for a week and I'm back to 5rm now, wats urs look like?

TJW
    Well I had been doing 3RM and trying to increase 5lbs or so each week, but that became too difficult which lead me to reading some more and I read about the 5rm, 3rm, 1rm. So far for ME, I have done flat, close grip and 2 board(didn't really work b/c i don't have spotters/lift off). Thankfully I am getting back to school Sunday so I can start lifting there again with my friends. I think I'm going to do flat again and start the new wave of 5rm, 3rm,1rm. I'm also going to add in incline as a ME lift. I started this program with a 225 bench and coming back from knee/groin injury. Hopefully I will be able to increase my bench. Wednesday after doing my sets of snatch grip deads, I put all my weights on the bar(305 lbs) and pulled 2 singles. This was the most I have ever attempted, so I am pretty pumped with my progress. Next week I will do conventional deads again.

Banned
    Well I had been doing 3RM and trying to increase 5lbs or so each week, but that became too difficult which lead me to reading some more and I read about the 5rm, 3rm, 1rm. So far for ME, I have done flat, close grip and 2 board(didn't really work b/c i don't have spotters/lift off). Thankfully I am getting back to school Sunday so I can start lifting there again with my friends. I think I'm going to do flat again and start the new wave of 5rm, 3rm,1rm. I'm also going to add in incline as a ME lift. I started this program with a 225 bench and coming back from knee/groin injury. Hopefully I will be able to increase my bench. Wednesday after doing my sets of snatch grip deads, I put all my weights on the bar(305 lbs) and pulled 2 singles. This was the most I have ever attempted, so I am pretty pumped with my progress. Next week I will do conventional deads again.
    do u do deads and squats in the same week?, if so where do u put deads at

TJW
    do u do deads and squats in the same week?, if so where do u put deads at
    I don't place too much emphasis on squats ever since hurting my knee/groin due to poor form. I do deads first, and then my next exercise is a lighter leg lift, either box squats or leg press. I just started a journal and posted my leg workout from this week if you want to check it out. It explains why I don't squat too much, but hopefully this will be the year to change that, because my excuse is terrible and I realize that I need to squat and squat heavy(with good form).

All I have to say is that unless you are training at Westside barbell, you aren't following the Westside way. It's so incredibly complicated that there is no way you could follow their template successfully long term without guidance from someone who has trained at Westside. The other thing about Westside is that it is set up for an advanced geared lifter. You can also lose a lot of size on it since not only do you rarely train the big lifts, you rarely do more than 1-3 reps on them, and you don't specifically train entire muscle groups, such as the quads and traps and chest, because Louie doesn't believe they are important for lifting big weights. The other thing is that if you believe in what Louie says, you would want fancy equipment like the reverse hyper and the GHR which 99% of gyms don't have. And I doubt you have $5000+ to drop on that stuff for your home gym. IMO Westside is for serious geared powerlifters with multiple years of training experience as well as tons of guidance and anyone who thinks otherwise is either ignorant of their methods or insane. Also, DeFranco's template isn't really much like WSBB at all in my opinion, he is just riding on their coattails.
    Last edited by OGROK; 01-02-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    All I have to say is that unless you are training at Westside barbell, you aren't following the Westside way. It's so incredibly complicated that there is no way you could follow their template successfully long term without guidance from someone who has trained at Westside. The other thing about Westside is that it is set up for an advanced geared lifter. You can also lose a lot of size on it since not only do you rarely train the big lifts, you rarely do more than 1-3 reps on them, and you don't specifically train entire muscle groups, such as the quads and traps and chest, because Louie doesn't believe they are important for lifting big weights. The other thing is that if you believe in what Louie says, you would want fancy equipment like the reverse hyper and the GHR which 99% of gyms don't have. And I doubt you have $5000+ to drop on that stuff for your home gym. IMO Westside is for serious geared powerlifters with multiple years of training experience as well as tons of guidance and anyone who thinks otherwise is either ignorant of their methods or insane. Also, DeFranco's template isn't really much like WSBB at all in my opinion, he is just riding on their coattails.
    ok then wat program would u suggest, thats not bill star or ripptoes

Considering you are a new guy, and you are looking to get bigger and stronger (I'm assuming), then what is wrong with Rippetoe's or the 5x5?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Why not one of those?
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    1. Breathe man - you're going to keel over with all that pent up agression...
    2. His goal is to get stronger and bigger - you don't need to "train specific muscle groups to do that.
    3. It is very possible to train westside without gear and without training at westside. I've done it for almost 15 years and have made great progress.
    4. DeFrancos template is a mixture between the conjugate method that westside preaches and some hypertrophy work. It was meant to help athletes gain weight and give them a solid easy plan. The name is simply a gimmick.

I agree with Ben. The people who think West Side is too complicated have never followed it for any length of time. WSFSB is even easier to follow.

OP, just follow the write up for the routine and don't make it complicated. Everything is written out for you. Follow what it says and in a few months come back and tell everyone how much stronger you are.

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    there's only really one thing wrong with the routine: where's the deadlifts?
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    there's only really one thing wrong with the routine: where's the deadlifts?
    Read the original one - not what he posted up there...
    http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html
    Last edited by Ben Moore; 01-02-2009 at 10:29 AM.