Thread: Another deadlift video

Banned

Another deadlift video

I appreciate everybody's previous comments on my deadlift videos. I took the advice on the previous threads to not max out, so I tried some "speed" work with lighter weight this week. I put speed in quotes because explosiveness is something I lack ( maybe because of my long limbs ). Anyway, I did some pulling with bands ( it felt like maybe 350-ish at the top ) and tried to work on form.

Also, as suggested in the other thread, am working on going wider with my stance. It's hard to tell in the video, but my toes are all the way to the edge of the jump stretch platform, which is wider than I was going.

Here's a video ( if anybody ever doubted that I'm 6'8" look where my head comes to on the door behind me, lol )....

Video

I can see that my upper back is still not arched, but it does look like my upper body is more upright than in the previous videos. It also looks like Im keeping my hips down a little longer than in my other videos.

Obviously I have more work to do, but I'm wondering if this is at least a small step in the right direction. I want to get this right, I think I'll be able to pull a ton once I do.

Those looked better than your last video. If you are having trouble going wider because of hip pain or inflexibility, I would use briefs for speed pulls. They make em a lot easier on your hips.

That being said, you are still not arching your back enough. Also, you should work on getting your ass down. Think of pulling back. With your long ass arms, you can turn the deadlift into a movement that is similar to a leg press, and you will barely even have to use your back.

I am 6'3, so I'm not short, but not nearly as tall as you are. I have long arms like you do. I am pulling heavy tomorrow so I will try and get some video to show you the things I keep talking about. I am in no way a great deadlifter, but I have been coached by some strong ass guys, and I believe my form is halfway decent.

Also, this is just my opinion, but I will voice it anyway. It seems like you pull a lot. You might consider trading in some of that pulling for Goodmornings or another exercise to hit the same area. Pulling is really hard on the arms, especially pulling heavy. I am in no way saying you can't handle it, I would just suggest you replacing some of them with other exercises.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 12-31-2008 at 01:33 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I would venture a guess that if you get your hips lower then other problems will start clearing up easier. It looks like you're almost doing an RDL or SLDL or what ever the hell they're called now. Seriously, If you're going to pull sumo then get your hips down.
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    I am 6'3, so I'm not short, but not nearly as tall as you are. I have long arms like you do. I am pulling heavy tomorrow so I will try and get some video to show you the things I keep talking about.
    That would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    It seems like you pull a lot. You might consider trading in some of that pulling for Goodmornings or another exercise to hit the same area. Pulling is really hard on the arms, especially pulling heavy. I am in no way saying you can't handle it, I would just suggest you replacing some of them with other exercises.
    I have been pulling a lot lately, once a week for the last 4 weeks, because I was on the verge of a big milestone, ie pulling 500 pounds, which I did last week. But I think you're right, and next week I'll switch it with probably concentric goodmornings.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 12-31-2008 at 01:44 PM.

Peep in my journal tomorrow night and the videos should be up.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com