The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Deadlifting: Start from the top or the floor?

I usually start deadlifting with the bar in the rack, pick it up, take a step back and go (easier to load/unload weights this way). I have the feeling most people start from the floor (makes sense, that is what the powerlifting regulations say). So today I tried pulling from the floor and it seemed significantly more difficult than starting from the top position (taking a step back from the rack with the bar). Anyone know of any advantages/disadvantages to either of these methods?

Personally I like starting from the top because your feet are already in the proper position in relation to the bar (when you pull from the floor they might not be setup properly, although this isn't difficult to do correctly). Another thing I've noticed is that when you start from the top you have a feel of how the weight feels and you know what to expect on the positive part of the rep. This is how the other powerlifts are done. Squats and bench press both start in a rack and you do the negative first...

Anyways, I was just curious how you guys felt about it...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you're strictly into power lifting, definately pull from the floor...because you have no choice in a competition obviously. On the other hand, if you're strictly doing it for bodybuilding purposes, I see no problem with taking the weight off a rack, personally I can handle much more weight that way.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I have it in the rack when I start, but down a notch or two, so that if I fail on the set, I can dump the weight back onto the rack quickly.

Wannabebig Member
    I start with it on the rack as well.

I start from the rack also. You're still getting a full rep, just in reverse.
    The weights won't lift themselves.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I start from the floor for obvious reasons.

I think setting up on the floor would be easier to get yourself setup for. Just think about when you are on your heaviest set. You have enough to worry about taking that step back. You shouldn't have to worry about getting your feet in the exact spot.

I also perform deads in singles. The negative part of a deadlift is very taxing. After I complete my rep I lower the bar to the floor quickly trying to resist gravity as least as possible. No sense wasting energy for my next sets.

I do, however, do my sldl's by taking the bar off the rack and stepping back. These I do for 3-5 reps usually and I don't touch the floor.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    I start from the floor for obvious reasons.

I think setting up on the floor would be easier to get yourself setup for. Just think about when you are on your heaviest set. You have enough to worry about taking that step back. You shouldn't have to worry about getting your feet in the exact spot.

I also perform deads in singles. The negative part of a deadlift is very taxing. After I complete my rep I lower the bar to the floor quickly trying to resist gravity as least as possible. No sense wasting energy for my next sets.

I do, however, do my sldl's by taking the bar off the rack and stepping back. These I do for 3-5 reps usually and I don't touch the floor.
    In terms of setup, I meant it was easier to start from the rack because when you lower the bar its automatically where you want it in relation to your body. However, when starting from the floor you may have one foot slightly too close or whatever (again, not a major factor).

The step back isn't too bad (no more than with squats), so I'm not very concerned with it.

Thats definetly true about the negatives though. They seem to take a lot out of you (more so than most other exercises).
    Last edited by DaCypher; 04-05-2002 at 08:08 PM.

This helps, I've been starting almost from the floor for both SLDL's and DL's. I think I'll give starting from the rack a try.

I have a really hard time with the negative. Anyone else have thisproblem? The positive is easier for me. Less strain on my back.

BIG BOI
    floor.

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    I have a really hard time with the negative. Anyone else have thisproblem? The positive is easier for me. Less strain on my back.
    Nope, very controlled on the way up and on the way down. Although I don't find it harder, I do find the strain more in my back on the way down. I'm currently assuming that my form is not as good as it needs to be and once I get that set with more practice then it will get better. Maybe not?

I start from the bottom because i hate walking backwards while holding a bunch of weight.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    Doesn't seem like very safe to walk backwards while holding a sh8load of weight... You don't need to do a big mistake when holding the bar in front of you to snap something. Keep it simple and lift it from the floor. Safe and simple.

Taking it off a rack when doing shrugs or partials yes, but full ROM deadlifts...no.

Originally posted by LiftAgain
    Doesn't seem like very safe to walk backwards while holding a sh8load of weight... You don't need to do a big mistake when holding the bar in front of you to snap something. Keep it simple and lift it from the floor. Safe and simple.

Taking it off a rack when doing shrugs or partials yes, but full ROM deadlifts...no.
    Is taking a step back with weight in your hands any more dangerous than taking a step back with weight on your back (as with squats)?

With squats the bar seems to be over the center of your body so it feels easier for me. With deads the bar is way out in front so its pulling you forward
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

The few times I have done them I have started from the floor.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

Originally posted by Adam MacKinnon
    With squats the bar seems to be over the center of your body so it feels easier for me. With deads the bar is way out in front so its pulling you forward
    Personally I feel more comfortable with the weight in front of me, if I run into trouble I can just drop the bar. However, with squats its not that easy because you arms are in an awkward position...

Either way, all of the weight has to be shifted. This doesn't seem very safe with squats because of all the compression on the spine...

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    I guess I'm a bit paranoid about back injuries as I've got some experience about them from my youth.

The point however is that when you hold a weight in front of you there is a force that pulls forward. Even small changes in form will cause bigger differencies in force acting on intervebral disks than when having the weight on your shoulders. I prefer keeping it simple and do my best to keep as safe as possible.

Extremely Disturbed
    Setup on the floor. Keeps it simple.
    H