Thread: hurt myself benching

hurt myself benching

Ive been doing toe add 30 in 30, on friday of my third week I was benching 85% or my 1rm and brought a friend to spot, figured while I had him there Id check my max. so i did my 2 sets of 2, added 20 lbs, did 1 rep, added 10 pounds, brought the bar down, started up and it started coming back down my upper chest hurt a little and I finished my workout. monday went back in and could barely push the bar on the left side and boy was it sore. I pushed out 2 sets then dropped some weight and did one more. its still pretty tender and it affects my workout. gonna give it a few days off. what do you think happened? should I not work it till it feels better?

Sounds like a pec tear. Let it rest or get it checked out by your Dr. More workouts while it's still hurtin' will just make it worse. IMO
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by ct67_72 View Post
    Ive been doing toe add 30 in 30, on friday of my third week I was benching 85% or my 1rm and brought a friend to spot, figured while I had him there Id check my max. so i did my 2 sets of 2, added 20 lbs, did 1 rep, added 10 pounds, brought the bar down, started up and it started coming back down my upper chest hurt a little and I finished my workout. monday went back in and could barely push the bar on the left side and boy was it sore. I pushed out 2 sets then dropped some weight and did one more. its still pretty tender and it affects my workout. gonna give it a few days off. what do you think happened? should I not work it till it feels better?
    When i was doing the program, i was having a problem with my pec toward the end of the program, the last thing you wanted to do was max out. That will probably kill the program,IN my oppion you are working you self hard,you need to take a week off after the program to let your body fully recouperate and then max,

I think if you'd have torn it there'd have been some swelling and bruising. You definitely strained it though. When you're doing a progressive overload program, maxing out during the program is always a bad idea. You wait until the end to max out.

Don't bench any more for a week or two. Ice and ibuprofen will be your friend.

On a side note though, for everyone, when figuring your percentages, be smart about your max that you're basing your percentages off of. Do NOT overestimate yourself or base your percentages off of what you THINK you can do at the end of the program. In fact its smart to underestimate your current bench at the beginning of the program so you have a bit of a cushion.

Train hard and SMART

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

thanks guys. I know it wasnt a good idea. but sometimes you cant help it. Ill give it the rest of the week and try again monday. no swelling or bruising to speak of so I dont think its to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ct67_72 View Post
    I know it wasnt a good idea. but sometimes you cant help it.
    Not to pick on you, but yes you can! You absolutely CAN help it by being smart and thinking before you get impatient and injure yourself. Don't make excuses

Don't underestimate a pec strain. Its a precursor to a tear. One stupid thing will tear it and then you'll be really messed up. I would NOT bench Monday.

I don't mean to sound too harsh, but you need to realize the situation you've put yourself in

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Ice that mofo for 2 days and then do stretching movements with lighter resistance don't come back full throttle

one week is def not enough time! kick back do some lats overhead work and get those tris stronger take a solid month off from benching and come back at it slowly
    peace
    R.McCRAY The General Of The GUERRILLAPRESS ARMY

Take plenty of time and work back slowly. I strained my pec 4 times in a period of about 3-4 months because I kept coming back and pushing too hard too fast. The last time I worked back over a 6-8 week time period, starting very light and making small jumps each week. Also I didn't go to failure and didn't have to grind out any reps. I did extra shoulder and tricep work while I as rehabbing the pec injury and I came back stronger than I was before the original injury.

I think you should go max out again tomorrow.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I think you should go max out again tomorrow.
    LOL... I'm sorry but this made me laugh...

Dude, you already know you should not have maxed during that program... Don't make it worse by trying to go back too soon.

You've already killed the program, if you want to do it, you need to start again.

I'd rest it for a few days, then work your legs for a week or so on top of that until you even think about hopping back on the bench. And when you do, go light, take it easy, and see how it feels.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Ill work back in very slow. I guess Ill work around it, maybe try the program again in a month or so, because it seemed to be working very well.

middletown???? i think i know who you are!!!!!
    R.McCRAY The General Of The GUERRILLAPRESS ARMY

Listen to the 'rest it' guys! Vinnie; LMAO! I needed that!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)