The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Vernon davis workout

This is Vernon Davis' workout (tight end on the 49ers), he is a beast, and it looks like a legit workout. let me know what you all think.

MONDAY

EXERCISE SETS REPS
    Light warm-up + stretching
    Kettlebell Swing (warm-up) 1 15
    Power Clean 5-8 1-6
    Bench or Incline Press(1) 8 3
    Triceps exercise(2) 3-5 8-15
    Circuit(3) 2 1 min. Each
    Abs(4) 3 2-30

Farmer's Walk 4 Walking the length
    (holding 20-kg plates) of the weight room

Neck Lateral Flexion 1-2 2-20

TUESDAY
    EXERCISE SETS REPS

Explosives(5) 3-6 1-3
    Barbell Squat(1) 8 2
    Speed Deadlift (with bands) 8 1
    Back Hyperextension 3 15
    Calf Raise 3 20
    Abs(4) 3 12-30
    Dumbbell Clean(6) 4 6

THURSDAY
    EXERCISE SETS REPS

Power Clean 5-8 1-6
    Bench or Incline Press 5-8 8,5,3,1,1,1,1,1(7)
    Upper-back exercise 3-4 8-15
    Triceps exercise 5 6
    Special exercise 2 10-30
    Lat Pulldown or Pull-Up 4 8
    Abs(4) 3 12-30
    Grip exercise 4 8
    Neck Lateral Flexion 1-2 12-20

FRIDAY

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Single-Leg Squat 5-8 3-5
    Explosives5 3-6 1-3
    Reverse Hyperextension 4 6
    Posterior Chain (10) 3-4 8-15
    Calf Raise 3 15
    Abs(4) 3 12-30
    Dumbbell Clean[Clean.sup.9] 4 6
    Neck Rotation/Twisting 1-2 12-20
    1 This can be any number of exercises, depending on which one Davis chooses to do, but it's some sort of pressing movement, such as bench on incline presses and squats. Implements such as chains and elastic bands are always attached to the bar so the resistance becomes greater as the bar is lifted. As the goal here is to improve power and explosiveness, Davis uses a weight that's 50%-60% of his one-rep max (1RM) and does each rep as fast as possible.
    2 Can be any number of triceps exercises, such as cable pressdowns, lying barbell extensions or overhead extensions.
    3 This consists of three different exercises--for example, a pulling move such as rows, a pushing move such as a chest or triceps move and a shoulder move such as lateral raises --each performed for one minute with no rest between sets.
    4 One of any number of exercises that target the upper abs, lower abs or obliques.
    5 Typically consists of one of the following exercises: Kaiser squat machine, explosive jumps, kneeling squats, box jumps, box squats.
    6 Performed standing on air-filled foot pads or other unstable training tool to enhance balance. Can be done either one leg or two legs at a time.
    7 Unlike on Mondays and Tuesdays, Davis uses as heavy a weight as possible for the desired number of reps. After doing sets of 8, 5 and 3, the goals is to work up to doing three singles at or above 90% 1RM.
    8 Can be any number of back exercises, such as lat pulldowns, bent-over rows or machine rows, standing high-cable rows (to face), stiff-legged cleans or snatches, seated cleans or shrugs.
    9 Can be virtually any pressing exercise of Davis' choice with a barbell, dumbbells, kettlebells, bands, chains, etc. Reps stay somewhere between 10 and 30, stopping around two reps short of failure, resting 3-5 minutes between sets.
    10 Typically consists of one of the following exercises: single-leg deadlifts, stiff-legged cleans or snatches or glute-ham raises.
    RELATED ARTICLE: FEEDING THE FREAK.
    So what does a freak of nature like the 49ers' Vernon Davis put in his body? That's what we asked Amanda Carlson, director of nutrition and research at Athletes' Performance inTempe, Arizona, the company that claims Davis as one of its many high-profile clients. According to Carlson, here's a typical day of clean eating and supplementing for No. 85:
    Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs + low-fat cheddar cheese + turkey bacon on a 100% whole-wheat bagel + 20 oz. orange juice
    Preworkout: Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) + creatine with carbs
    During workout: 20 oz. Gatorade
    Postworkout: 40 g whey/casein protein powder with 60 g carbs + 1 banana
    Lunch: BBQ chicken pizza (8-oz. chicken breast + low-fat cheese + barbecue sauce + black beans on a flour tortilla) + mixed berries + water
    Dinner: 8 oz. lean red meat + 2 cups brown rice + 2 cups steamed veggies + water Snack: Protein/carb RTD + peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole-wheat bread + water
    other supplements: multivitamin, essential fatty acids
    Total daily nutrient intake: Approx. 4,500-5,000 calories, 20%--25% from protein, 50% from carbs, 25%-30% from fat

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Proves all the working out in the world won't make someone a good football player. He has been terrible so far, but is a freak of nature.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    someone want to move this to sports specific?

Banned
    I dont think this is an uncommon in season workout for most veteran NFL'ers. The strain of the season combined with the sheer intensity of the hits they take make many of the more popular regimens out there entirely too much, in terms of the strain placed on their bodies.

Having seen other players in season workouts, I know Muscle and Fitness has (recently) put Urlachers, Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, and in the past Warrenn Sapp, Mike Alstott, and T.O.

All are VERY basic in terms of the types of lifts performed, and relatively low volume.

That being said, I would frankly be curious as to what some of these guys' off-season programs look like...

for someone like me, 6' 184, looking to add clean muscle, this is no good for me then?

Are you lean or do you have some fat? What do your lifts look like?
    6'0" 202lbs @ 16.2%bf
    ~~Current | Goal
    BP 175x1 | 250x5
    Dl 325x1 | 310x5
    SQ 265x1 | 310x5

Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    for someone like me, 6' 184, looking to add clean muscle, this is no good for me then?
    No. Why would an in season program for an NFL athlete be appropriate for you? You havent even listed your training history so I will assume that at this point you want to stick to the basics and keep it simple. 5/3/1, 5x5, Starting Strength, Westside for Skinny Bastards. It doesnt really matter so long as 1) you are performing squats, bench, deadlifts and chins; 2) that you learn to perfom these lifts correctly; 3) that you believe in what you are doing and stay consistant and 4) put in the hard work.

im very lean and i am now doing the baby got back workout, just looking to mix it up with another 4x a week workout. guess this is no good.

Maybe you should be checking out tnation.com for routines or pick up starting strengths. You're probably not that strong yet so I think you would benefit from SS.
    Last edited by Be_Rye; 01-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    6'0" 202lbs @ 16.2%bf
    ~~Current | Goal
    BP 175x1 | 250x5
    Dl 325x1 | 310x5
    SQ 265x1 | 310x5

Banned
    As has been stated countless other times, if you are looking for a football focused regimen:

Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    As has been stated countless other times, if you are looking for a football focused regimen:
    He never stated that he wanted a routine for football. He just said that the guy that uses the above routine is jacked.
    6'0" 202lbs @ 16.2%bf
    ~~Current | Goal
    BP 175x1 | 250x5
    Dl 325x1 | 310x5
    SQ 265x1 | 310x5

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Be_Rye View Post
    He never stated that he wanted a routine for football. He just said that the guy that uses the above routine is jacked.
    He was the one came with a routine utilized IN SEASON by an NFL ball player...

Not I.

I am inferring that based on his selected routine, he has either some interest in the game, or some interest in looking like he plays the game. Both of which can be remedied by Mr. Defranco's protocols..

Oh. Well what ever floats his boat.
    6'0" 202lbs @ 16.2%bf
    ~~Current | Goal
    BP 175x1 | 250x5
    Dl 325x1 | 310x5
    SQ 265x1 | 310x5

haha all im saying is that he is totally jacked so his workout must be good. i mean im not trying to be in the NFL, and im not trying to be a professional body builder, everything is getting blown outta proportion. im looking to look lean cut and jacked thats all. V Davis fits the profile so i was wondering what u thought of the workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Be_Rye View Post
    Maybe you should be checking out tnation.com for routines or pick up starting strengths. You're probably not that strong yet so I think you would benefit from SS.
    As for that my lifts are all bigger than yours so idk why u said that to me.

Banned
    there are many better workouts out there than this one. Do your homework...

just because Vernon Davis, Terrell Owens, or Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Jay Cutler, etc. etc. did it, doesn't mean its effective...

haha all im saying is that he is totally jacked so his workout must be good. i mean im not trying to be in the NFL, and im not trying to be a professional body builder, everything is getting blown outta proportion. im looking to look lean cut and jacked thats all. V Davis fits the profile so i was wondering what u thought of the workout.

As for that my lifts are all bigger than yours so idk why u said that to me.
    Vernon Davis looks like that because he is a genetic freak. He probably could follow any type of program and look like that.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    haha all im saying is that he is totally jacked so his workout must be good.

There are many factors that go into making someone "totally jacked" not just the workout. Diet and rest both play big roles. A huge factor is genetics. Another big one is the possible use of anabolic 'supplements'.

As for the workout itself, it doesn't look that good for the average joe. Mr. Davis is obviously trying to accomplish something specific (probably attempting to improve his football skills) so unless your goals match his it's likely not a good idea.

i mean im not trying to be in the NFL, and im not trying to be a professional body builder, everything is getting blown outta proportion. im looking to look lean cut and jacked thats all. V Davis fits the profile so i was wondering what u thought of the workout.
    Good for a professional football player, not that great for most other people.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 01-03-2009 at 06:33 PM.