The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

+55 Pounds on Deadlift in a Week???

Well I am 16 years old and I am in a powerlifting program at school. I lift with my friend who is alos 16 and we both weigh about 230-235 pounds. I do about the same weight as him in the bench, deadlift, and squat. So we are on the 2nd part of our 3 part program. Today was deadlift and the reps were 10 8 6 3 3 1 8. This works quite while as we can see each week if we are going up based on our 1 rep max, but anyway back to my point. The past 4 weeks I have steadily been climbing 10 pounds a weeks which brings my 1 rep up to 390 pound deadlift(I know it sucks, but I am working at it) But anyway all of a sudden today my friend is attempting 370 for his max, he brings it up with no problem. So I tell him to go for 405. So he does and brings that up no problem. So I say go for 425, he does and still it did not seem hard for him at all, but he decided to stop.( I don't know why, he was doing so good.)

But my point is how is this even possible??? He just barely managed to get 370 up a week before and now he is doing 425 with considerable ease??? I have never heard of such gains? Is this just a fluke? Mabye something he ate? Also this is definatly not nooby gains because we have been on this program for about 8 weeks. Can somebody explain this to me???

Friends Height: 6'4"
    Freinds Weight: 234 Pounds

My Height: 6'1"
    My Weight: 231 Pounds
    Last edited by Sicken; 01-02-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    The science part of it is simple: eat more than you need, you gain. Eat less than you need, you lose. Lifting directs calorie traffic: Lift heavy while you gain and you'll get bigger muscles. Lift heavy while you lose and you'll KEEP more muscle. Heavy compounds are more effective and more efficient.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

err... if you have been only lifting for 8 weeks then yes u r a noob. I have been lifting for 9 mons and i am still a noob, anyway wuts ur height/his height?
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    No that is just the start of the program we have been on. We have been lifting for quite a bit longer that 8 weeks.
    The science part of it is simple: eat more than you need, you gain. Eat less than you need, you lose. Lifting directs calorie traffic: Lift heavy while you gain and you'll get bigger muscles. Lift heavy while you lose and you'll KEEP more muscle. Heavy compounds are more effective and more efficient.

perhaps he did some research on how to improve his deadlifting form and it worked for the better, weight-wise.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

better form?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    perhaps he did some research on how to improve his deadlifting form and it worked for the better, weight-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    better form?
    these, and perhaps different/stronger grip. I know mixed grip works the best for me instead of conventional (aka overhand) perhaps he has a different grip or his grip strenght is stronger.

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm all of those could very well be a possibility, but as far as I know, he has the same grip as always.(the mixed grip) But I think he definatly has a stronger grip than me, also he might have done some research. Well anywho, thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate it.

*Runs off to go do intense deadlift research and watch countless videos on deadlifting...

Wannabebig New Member

well you can also take this into consideration

I know myself, that if im not in the mood for lifting or if i do not believe i can do something then i cant do it. many things are mind over matter. If he thought 370 was alot in deadlift then he could have faked himself out and his body made it seem like alot. I know sounds stupid but its very true, and any true lifter would know that it is very easy to fake yourself out. Best way not too is to lift with a friend which was you for him, and be in a good mood. when he got that first one easy and you said "wow you got that so easy" that boosted his confidence and made him feel very self confident.

I know myself after substaining a few knee injuries and having to be off of my knee which didnt bring me down much since im 16 and my muscles are still growing but anyways in hex bar deadlift i did 500 very easy, and my friend said you can get more then i put 515 and i did that easy, as people would start to watch me lift my self confidence shot up very high and just told my friend to put weight on there, did 545 then he put on 585 without me knowing how much it was and got it. but really to sum that up, since i didnt know how much the weight was i got it because i had no reason to be faked out.

Wannabebig Member
    Very interesting idea, but I guess now that I think about it, my friend was in a relitively good mood, I bet that did have something to do with it. Thanks for the help and awesome job on the huge deadlift numbers.

Wannabebig New Member

BTW

Spike energy drinks are great at getting you in a good mood, and to get you very self confident. 300mg of caffine and 1,500mcg of B12 which is 25,000% of your daily needed value really works your body haha.

some times you have those days where everything just works. maybe he was having one of those days.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    something similar happened to me with all my lifts. When you begin training, most of the improvements are in the nervous system because you have never lifted heavy weight before so your central nervous system is not used to it. However these gains usually happen quickly which is why everyone will make most improvements when they are newbies, then the gains slow right down.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

To me it seems like with deadlifts and squats alot of my strength is all, its eather you use all your strength to lift the weight or you don't. squats and deads are a lift where you can really push your self to acheive that one rep max. however I've never found this to be true with bench thats either hit or miss. but what i'm trying to say is that if you focus your body and use that strength when deadlifting or squatting you can easily add a few more pounds each time.
    MAX BENCH:275lbs. (11/2008)
    MAX SQUAT machine:420lbs. (4/2005)
    MAX SQUAT free weight: 385lbsx2. (1/2009)
    MAX DEAD LIFT hex bar: 465lbs. (1/2006)
    MAX DEAD LIFT straight bar: 455. (10/2009)
    total: 1115
    CURRENT WEIGHT:240. (10/2009)
    HEIGHT: 6'2

The best way to get big is to eat big, lift big and LIVE BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    some times you have those days where everything just works. maybe he was having one of those days.
    I agree. My most recent DL PR was 475. A week before that it was 405.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 01-03-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!