The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

I want to play the harmonica or fiddle ...

So I would love to start devoting some time to learning an instrument. I've narrowed it down to either the fiddle or harmonica. Anyone play either of these?

I know they're two completely opposite ends of the spectrum, and the cost is a lot different, but I love the sound of both.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Harmonicas are sweet! My cousin has one and he can rip on that thing.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Yeah, I think I'm leanin' more towards the harmonica. Better price than a fiddle, so if I break it, I won't be too sad. And you can also carry them a lot easier so I can pull that bad boy out and entertain all the ladies at the drop of a hat.
    Last edited by Southern Beast; 12-31-2008 at 10:45 PM.

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

plus, if you pick up the harmonica & later you ever become homeless, you've got 90% of your panhandling skills down in advance

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    plus, if you pick up the harmonica & later you ever become homeless, you've got 90% of your panhandling skills down in advance
    LOL, always a plus.

At Walmart they are selling a harmonica + a booklet on how to play for fifteen bucks I think. I'm thinking about getting it, in my line of work I think it would be great to learn how to play it (panhandler).
    Last edited by Davey; 01-01-2009 at 09:03 AM.

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

If you buy a cheap ***** harmonica, it will be harder to play, and, of course, sound like what it is ... cheap. Likely to break a reed sooner too.

For a few bucks more, try a Hohner Special 20. Very easy to play and learn to bend notes. The easier keys to play/learn on are C or A. You should be able to pick one up for $20 to $30. If you're going to learn via a book, or CD, or DVD etc, you might want to buy that first and see what key they are using so you can buy the same key harmonica.

For instruction, there are a million books etc depending on what style you're looking for.

Ok if you plan to play fiddle be up for A LOT of frustration. To be honest don't even attempt to play the fiddle without instruction. If your planning on getting a teacher and spending many nights practicing while your friends are out partying, fiddle is for you. Also fiddles are extremely expensive, even for a crappy one.

Now harmonica... this is a hell of a lot different. For the most part, its extremely hard to teach someone harmonica. It's one of the instruments you have to feel. I highly suggest you learn to sing as well as singing and harmonica playing are intimately connected.

Now make sure you buy a GOOD harmonica. No walmart crappy ones. Do your research. If you spend 100 bucks on one harmonica than chances are it is a pretty decent one. Don't be cheap with your instrument... harmonicas aren't expensive instruments so it wouldn't hurt you to spend a bit. Get one in the key of A or C major as above. But really, the keys you should be getting them in are C, A, E, G, D... these are all important keys that you should eventually own. After time, work your way to a chromatic harmonica.

But anyways, learning from a CD or book for harmonica is a great idea as the technique isn't extremely hard to get, it just takes practice. But most of all, LISTEN to your music. Playing is half the battle, listening is just as important. Good luck!

I think the fiddle will be much much more time intensive.

Both are awesome though. Props for beginning a new instrument
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Ok if you plan to play fiddle be up for A LOT of frustration. To be honest don't even attempt to play the fiddle without instruction. If your planning on getting a teacher and spending many nights practicing while your friends are out partying, fiddle is for you. Also fiddles are extremely expensive, even for a crappy one.
    Amen to that. My dad can play, literally, any instrument he touches with an impressive amount of skill within about 2 weeks. He's very musically inclined and plays a lot of instruments, but stringed instruments are his specialty. Guitar, bass, ukelele, mandolin..all self-taught, and he's good. He accompanies a state champion fiddle player on his acoustic in competitions all over the tri state.

So, he inherited a violin, refinished it, and decided it was now a fiddle (because they're the same and he wanted a fiddle), and spent weeks teaching himself two songs. He learned "Ashokan Farewell" (theme to Ken Burns' Civil War and one of the most sad and beautiful songs ever written), and some old bluegrass tune I can't remember the name of. They both sounded pretty good, and were musically accurate. But, his bow work was shakey. He worked and worked on it, and then I didn't hear the fiddle anymore. Now, my mom and little sister complain about the noise here and there (especially when he was learning mandolin), so I thought maybe he was giving them a break. Nope. He actually told me it was just too hard to run the bow correctly. He didn't have much trouble with the fingering, but, in his words.."getting a good, clean note using a bow is a fine art and takes talent I just don't have."

I've never heard the fiddle again.

Get a harmonica. The Bob Dylan model Hohner is about 100 bucks.

*I had to come back and link this song. I had forgotten how awesome it is. It's hard to believe something so authentic was written in 1982.**

Video
    Last edited by Patz; 01-03-2009 at 08:26 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

First thing I think when I see a harmonica is..

HEIGHT: 5'9 1/2
    WEIGHT: 176
    BENCH MAX: 255
    SQUAT MAX: 445
    POWER CLEAN MAX: 205
    PUSH PRESS MAX: 205
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=120619
    My journal.

Thanks for all the feedback. Just for a little extra, I'm ok at music. I can play the piano a bit, read music, and played trumpet in school for a few years. I know these two instruments are extremely different from all that, but I'm ready to dedicate the time and learn. I'm taking all your advice and gonna decide in the next few days. Thanks for all the feedback.