View Poll Results: Do you download?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I download movies and music (for free!)

27 71.05%
  • Yes, I download movies and music

1 2.63%
  • Yes, I download music (for free!)

7 18.42%
  • Yes, I download music

2 5.26%
  • No, I don't download music or movies

1 2.63%
  • No, I don't download music or movies.. But if I did, I'd pay for them.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you download movies/music?

Do you download movies/music?

I just queued up about 60gigs worth of movies. This isn't a lot if you're downloading HD movies but since I don't have a good TV I just download DivX DVD rips and either watch them on my computer or burn them. I've been downloading movies and music for probably 12 years or more. I first started downloading music on a 56k modem. It would take HOURS for one song to finish and a collection of a couple hundred songs was huge!

So, hit the poll and let me know how long you've been downloading your entertainment media and if you're paying for it, tell me why!

Edit:

Also, I guess I should ask how you download your stuff. Personally I'm a bittorrent user and I have been since bittorrent was on the bleeding edge. Before that I was on Napster and Kaazaa (sp?)
    Last edited by deeder; 12-31-2008 at 12:05 AM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I used to. Then one day I felt morally puerile and deleted my collection and I haven't downloaded anything since. I now buy my media, and if there's something I'm curious about, but not willing to pay, I just miss out.

I do buy most of my media digitally.
    Last edited by Organichu; 12-31-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

I rarely download movies but I do download a lot of free music. If I wish to support an artist I go to see them live.

I use bit torrent for my downloads.
    Last edited by Sidior; 12-31-2008 at 01:18 AM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

The music on my hard-drive consists entirely of trance sets; that includes both radio shows (ASOT, Trance Around the World, Vonyc Sessions, Magic Island, etc.) and live sets. I don't really care too much for listening to unmixed cds/songs these days. It's not really illegal to download these sets seeing that they're offered on DI radio free of charge anyways.

But yeah, for the better part of the past decade I downloaded music for free. That's how it should be. If you like a band or DJ you support them by going to see them live. CDs are just advertisements for what the band has to offer; why the hell should I pay for an advertisement?

I don't download movies that are currently in the theater (the quality sucks anyways), but I'll watch movies that are already out from time to time. Usually by streaming them at places like watchtvsitcoms; I can't be bothered to actually download the movies. I'd say that I spend more time streaming tv shows than movies, though. I'll buy box sets if I love the show (LOST comes to mind), but for the most part I can't justify paying for a show that I could watch on TV for free.

I download and have no qualms about it. I'd much rather support artists directly with merchandise and ticket purchases than financing a label's ability to keep its talent in what is essentially indentured servitude. Even things I buy I download first to check them out. I'm not dropping $15-20 on something I haven't listened to yet.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I don't pay for books (I rent them at the library), unless they're reference material. The same goes for movies and music. I do have an original DVD collection, for the sake of collecting. I only buy my very favorite movies; I would never buy some latest crap at 30$ and don't understand people who do so. I wouldn't be able to listen to that much music if I had to buy it. So for the sake of my musical and theatrical education, I download movies and music.

Banned
    What BT FTW!

Banned
    I have no idea how to download anything. I tried installing Limewire once and couldn't get it to work so I just deleted it.

Also, I drive a car made of wood and powered by my feet.

no......

ok I have over 10,000 songs on my computer haha

no movies though

Banned
    deeder - where do you dl your bt stuff at?
    I have been DLing since napster, did kazaa a little then switched over to BT in college and still use it.

I do pay for some music though. But if i do its through amazon because they have pretty good deals for paying for DL music. I don't buy the actual albums, jsut the mp3s. I don't do that often though, but when I do that is how I do it. .

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    deeder - where do you dl your bt stuff at?
    I have been DLing since napster, did kazaa a little then switched over to BT in college and still use it.

I do pay for some music though. But if i do its through amazon because they have pretty good deals for paying for DL music. I don't buy the actual albums, jsut the mp3s. I don't do that often though, but when I do that is how I do it. .
    For DivX rips I pretty much exclusively download from aXXo on mininova.org. He (she? who knows) has great rips in every genre. Mininova is good for brand new albums but anything more than 6 months only usually doesn't have too many seeders in my experience.

pisexy.org is a great site for full dvd-rips, HD movies, Blue-ray movies, video games (PSP, DS, Wii, Xbox, whatever...) and anything I download off there has had GREAT seeders. Not always a lot of seeders but just people with wicked fast connections.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

well i dont for movies but for music i do ALOT... i do this: go on utube and find a song, if i like it i go to Zamzar.com and they e-mail me the MP3 off the utube vid which goes directly into my ipod... fast and free + it dosent screw ur computer.
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Once I graduate I will buy stuff. Most college students just plain don't have the money to support their love for music. I look at it as a loan which will be paid back once I graduate.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Banned
    I download music legally

I do tend to download movies off of PB, and if I like em, I buy em. I have a very large DVD collection and am always looking to add to it.

what you guys suggest that isnt well-known like limewire, kazaa for small arms p2p? im talking singles and small files. i can handle heavy torrents like movies etc, but the music p2p i used, Morpheus, isnt compatible with my new OS (vista). it needs to be not uber-popular cuz my ISP has the big names blocked.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    what you guys suggest that isnt well-known like limewire, kazaa for small arms p2p? im talking singles and small files. i can handle heavy torrents like movies etc, but the music p2p i used, Morpheus, isnt compatible with my new OS (vista). it needs to be not uber-popular cuz my ISP has the big names blocked.
    Torrents. Everyone should be using torrents... There are lots of ways to get around traffic shaping with torrents. Encryption (try Vuze for this), changing the port used for downloading often. I use ctorrent and some scripts I wrote to run all my torrents only between 12pm-7am because then my ISP doesn't count it towards my monthly limit (70Gb total). Traffic shaping is a pain in the ass but if you're just dealing with transfer limits then there might be some loopholes like with my ISP. Call them up and ask!
    Full Powerlifting

Honestly, you can pretty much find any song you want on the internet anyways.

It isn't often that I want to download a single song, but when I do I just search zippyshare on google. If it's a newer track, chances are someone has uploaded it.

Just go to google and type "zippyshare artist song name". Easy.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Once I graduate I will buy stuff. Most college students just plain don't have the money to support their love for music. I look at it as a loan which will be paid back once I graduate.
    Haha I like that way of thinking.

I download everything, but then most of the stuff I'm interested in isn't available in the shops anyway. I'd bet that within ten years brick and mortar music/video shops will all have closed down.

deeds, its not a problem with DL or size, it's just usually the singles arent available on torrent programs or sites. the full albums are almost always, but singles are hard to come by when torrenting. but like with my Morpheus program, it was a normal p2p and not a torrent DLer so it was made for single songs, pics and small vids ya know.

tofer ill try that, thx.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

deeds, its not a problem with DL or size, it's just usually the singles arent available on torrent programs or sites. the full albums are almost always, but singles are hard to come by when torrenting. but like with my Morpheus program, it was a normal p2p and not a torrent DLer so it was made for single songs, pics and small vids ya know.

tofer ill try that, thx.
    I know what morpheus is.. I can't believe people are still using that! I think I tried that right between Napster and Kaazaa. I also don't know why yo wouldn't want to download full albums instead of just tracks... Just delete songs if you don't like them.
    Full Powerlifting

tofer ill try that, thx.
    You can download only one or two files from a torrent, you know.

and how does this work, jorge?

like i said deeds, i needed a smaller popularity one cuz my ISP has banned a few. and morpheus worked great for me.

i just dont prefer to DL whole albums when i dont need them, or only want one song from them.

tofer - i went to zippyshare, all i could do was put files from my computer into the site. am i missing something?
    Last edited by jed; 01-03-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Before you start to download, a window should pop up in the torrent download program (at least it does with BitLord) and you can select which files you'd like to download.

Oh. that has never happened with me before... on morph or vuze/azureus.

also forget to mention.. i guess morph is a torrent program. u can DL torrents on it, but it has a large base of small direct p2p DL files too. id like a program like this, lol.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW