The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Cocoa: thanks man

Risk: I love that movie. Cracks me up.

DC Upper A:
    Incline Smith: 255*10 (+5, -2 reps)
    ->going to go down on weight a bit and try to increase the reps.

DB Shoulder Press: 75*30 (+5, +3 reps)

Close Grip Smith: 245*12 (+5, same reps)

Rack Pullups: +80*20 (+5, -4 reps)

Rack Pulls: 405*6, 365*10
    ->both were cake. Moved some weight! Fueled by some angry music, some guys starting at me like I had no shot, and the fact that I want to make the most of my time with Shelby.

Notes: Weight was 181. Bought a USB keyboard for my laptop, so should be updating again. While I was getting ready to do the rack pullups some trainer came over and was like oh we were using that. She was gone for a good 5 minutes at least. I had done two warmup sets. She was doing some kind of crazy rotation with her trainee. I was like, sorry I got 3 sets. She looked like she was waiting for me to offer to share. Not happening. She was like that is what happens during rush hour. I wanted to be like, sweetie don't try to circuit train in a packed gym and you won't have to worry about losing your machines.

She made it up to me a bit later. Her and her trainee came up and asked me if the shirt I was wearing is my company (ALN shirt). She said her trainee was looking for a diet coach. Guess I look ok now.

Need to send Shelby an update tomorrow. I have been starving all week despite being around 3800 cals. Hopefully he bumps me up again.

One update pic for this week - number three with Shelby.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cphafner; 09-21-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Looking huge in that closeup shot dude.

Yeah, looking thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    [
    She made it up to me a bit later. Her and her trainee came up and asked me if the shirt I was wearing is my company (ALN shirt). She said her trainee was looking for a diet coach. Guess I look ok now.
    Don't feel to go about it, I had 3 people ask me how many grams of protein are in a chicken breast/striploin/blade when serving the other day. I mean I swole, but like pork chop swole.

Lats looking great mang.

Cocoa: Yeah, I should make a change, but I hate change. I'll keep fighting through it.

Decline BB: 235*14 (+5, same)
    ->have more in me, afraid of getting stuck under the bar. No good spotters in site.

HS Shoulder Press: 2+35*12 (+12, -2)
    ->heavy bastards

Dips: +80*22 (+5, -3 reps)

Pulldowns: 200*14

Strive Row: 190*12

Notes: So my big news for the weekend is that I have hired Shelby Starnes to help me with an "offseason" diet. Shelby just placed 3rd in the Welter's @ North Americans. He is freaky shredded. I'm giving it to myself as an early 30th bday present (4 weeks early). I know I could do this on my own, but I want to see what a top guy does. Every time this year I start a bulk and freak when I see a little bodyfat. Shelby is a carb cycling guy, and uses them in his bulks for clean bulks. I think we should do good things over the next 3 months.

I had to send him some starting pics, so here they are. We'll compare in 3 months.
    cp, i haven't checked in in awhile, but i'll be very interested in tracking your progress. i've lately been thinking about hiring someone to mix it up for me. i was thinking either Shelby or Alex Azarian. i can do it myself, but these guys really know their stuff and i'd be interested to see what kind of plan someone like that could come up with for me.

anyways, your're looking good, brotha, and i hope you get what you want out of this. i'll be following along.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    cp, i haven't checked in in awhile, but i'll be very interested in tracking your progress. i've lately been thinking about hiring someone to mix it up for me. i was thinking either Shelby or Alex Azarian. i can do it myself, but these guys really know their stuff and i'd be interested to see what kind of plan someone like that could come up with for me.

anyways, your're looking good, brotha, and i hope you get what you want out of this. i'll be following along.
    If you do hire some one, Shelby and Alex are two top notch guys.

They both post a lot over at professional muscle. I'm the same way as you, very curious to see what some of those guys can do with my physique.
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

You're looking great cp, awesome improvements to your back.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Coca, Joey, Risk, Jason: Thanks guys. Happy with how things are progressing.

RBB, Gabe: You can't go wrong with either of those guys. I won't name names incase he wants to remain anonymous, but someone on the site is currently working with Alex. Will be intersted to see how we both progress. I highly recommend you guys buy Shelby's carb cycling book over on elite fts. I think it's $15. It explains his philosophies. I could have worked off the book, but felt like challenging myself and seeing how far he could push me. I think either of you (and really anyone that posts in this journal) have been around enough to do it on our own, but these guys are elite coaches. They could do their taxes, but they would probably come to you RBB. Same kind of thing to me. Both of you could look sick (you already do) with either of these guys in your corner. I have been really happy with Shelby so far. He is very responsive, helpful, and most importantly he listens.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Yeah, when I do my prep I will definitely be hiring someone...whenever that is. I want to get as far as I can on my own, probably 235-250 will low teen BF. This way they have a little bit more to sculpt than if I were to go at 200 or so.

JOURNAL

Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500

RBB, Gabe: You can't go wrong with either of those guys. I won't name names incase he wants to remain anonymous, but someone on the site is currently working with Alex. Will be intersted to see how we both progress. I highly recommend you guys buy Shelby's carb cycling book over on elite fts. I think it's $15. It explains his philosophies. I could have worked off the book, but felt like challenging myself and seeing how far he could push me. I think either of you (and really anyone that posts in this journal) have been around enough to do it on our own, but these guys are elite coaches. They could do their taxes, but they would probably come to you RBB. Same kind of thing to me. Both of you could look sick (you already do) with either of these guys in your corner. I have been really happy with Shelby so far. He is very responsive, helpful, and most importantly he listens.
    Yeah I'm working with Alex. Things seem to be going great so far. Like you said, we can most likely do this stuff on our own, but I know atleast for me I have more faith putting this in the hands of someone that has way more experience and knowledge than myself. I just do exactly what I'm told without any second guessing. And not to mention the money that's involved, gives me more motivation to go all out on every set and stick to the diet.
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 09-24-2009 at 10:13 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    And not to mention the money that's involved, gives me more motivation to go all out on every set and stick to the diet.
    Working with a WNBF Pro on my last 8 weeks of prep I can def relate.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Yo fellas. So I have been mia. I have been hitting the gym and sticking to my diet. I went out Saturday for my 30th bday. Got hammered. Hooked up with a hot girl. All was well for a bit. The past 5 work days have been brutal though. They finally got to me. I basically had a panic attack yesterday from stress. Couldn't get my heartrate down. Was in a fog and dizzy. I told my manager I was going home. I came home (45 min trip) sat on my couch for 5 minutes then went back to work. I told him I just cracked. Couldn't handle every thing. Came in today and had to log another 12 hard hours. Tomorrow will be atleast a 12 hour day is my guess. My whole team is losing it a bit. Not sure why things have gotten crazy. I am taking Friday off from work. My older bro came into town to celebrate my bday. If I get a chance (maybe friday) I'll post my last few workouts. Shelby is a bit disappointed the scale hasn't moved up more, so cals are going up again.
    My Journal

Yo fellas. So I have been mia. I have been hitting the gym and sticking to my diet. I went out Saturday for my 30th bday. Got hammered. Hooked up with a hot girl. All was well for a bit. The past 5 work days have been brutal though. They finally got to me. I basically had a panic attack yesterday from stress. Couldn't get my heartrate down. Was in a fog and dizzy. I told my manager I was going home. I came home (45 min trip) sat on my couch for 5 minutes then went back to work. I told him I just cracked. Couldn't handle every thing. Came in today and had to log another 12 hard hours. Tomorrow will be atleast a 12 hour day is my guess. My whole team is losing it a bit. Not sure why things have gotten crazy. I am taking Friday off from work. My older bro came into town to celebrate my bday. If I get a chance (maybe friday) I'll post my last few workouts. Shelby is a bit disappointed the scale hasn't moved up more, so cals are going up again.
    right on, cp. stick it out, brotha. this is a very busy time of the year at work for us too, i know how you feel man. so what's your goal with Shelby? any certain weight you're aiming to hit when it's all said and done?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Good call on getting away from work, even for a day. Looking forward to following your progress.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

RBB: Lean bulk. I told him my long term goal is 200-205. I'll be happy if we get up to 190-195 over the next 2 months.

Justin: Good seeing you around!

DC Upper A:
    HS Press: 2pps+35ps*12 (-20, +4reps)
    ->decided to go back to down in weight a bit and work the reps back up. Expected more reps here though...

Strive Shoulder: 155*13 (same, same reps)
    ->stalling...

Reverse Smith: 235*14 (same, +1 rep)

Nautilus Pulldown: 205*18 (+5, same reps)

Iso Rows: 4+35*9(same, +2), 3pps*20(same, +8)
    ->weird energy surge

DC Lower C:
    Drag Curl: 110*18 (same, +3 reps)
    ->worked out near my apt. had a hell of a time finding a bar that would work.

Hammers:65*8 (+5, -2reps)

RLDL: 275*10, 275*4
    ->was going to do two sets, but my straps was cutting off circulation.

Hack Squats: 2pps+25ps*12, 2pps*15

Notes: The leg workout was done at the gym near my apartment. My usual gym got rid of the squat press that I use (and love), so I need to make some changes. They replaced it with a Z squat machine which I don't want to use. I will likely shuffle a few exercises to make it work. The hacks will replace the z squat.

Went out Friday night with my big bro. We bounced around a couple of bars. He then says he has a house party to hit up. This place was insane. Probably a 6 or 7 million pad in NYC. Loaded with models and people that work in the tv/movie industry. I was a sloppy mess by this time. I was useless. Got home about 4am. Yesterday I went home to my dad's house. My parents thew me a bday party with my family. It was fun. Ate more than I probably should have. I am up 2 lbs today.

I'm feeling a bit beat up right now. My knees have been real sore the last week. My elbow and shoulders are sore too. Starting to think my body can't recover from these "heavy" DC sessions...
    Last edited by cphafner; 10-04-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    My Journal

Sounds like you're do for a cruise my friend. And wtf, where was that house on 5th ave or something ?
    Last edited by DGabe24; 10-04-2009 at 06:34 PM.

JOURNAL

Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500

Cruise for sure. CP, sounds like you might be thinking of another mode of training? The way your last couple of enteries have been, that might not be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DGabe24 View Post
    Sounds like you're do for a cruise my friend. And wtf, where was that house on 5th ave or something ?
    It was actually down near China town. Old warehouse converted. Insane living room. Wine cellar. Sauna. Just gigantic.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Cruise for sure. CP, sounds like you might be thinking of another mode of training? The way your last couple of enteries have been, that might not be a bad idea.
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to cruise until after my time with Shelby was over, but not sure I can make it another 8 weeks. I am debating going back to a more normal split (ie. each bodypart 1x a week).
    My Journal

Sounds like an awesome party you guys went to...bs about the squat press machine being replaced that way.

Cocoa: Crazy party! Not really my scene though.

Chest:
    DB Bench: 100*12, 90*12, 80*12
    Smith Incline: 185*8, 8, 6
    HS SHoulder: 2pps*12, 10, 7
    Dips: +45*20, 8

Back/Bicep:
    Rack Pullups:+85*10, 10
    Rack Pulls: 405*6, 425*10
    ->started a 3rd set, but listened to my back and decided not to do it
    Iso Rows: 3pps*12, 11->5
    ->did both arms at the same time, rested a min on the 2nd set and then did one arm with a bit of cheat
    Cybex Curl 110*15, 5
    Pins: 60*4-50->4
    Cable curls: two light burnout sets

Notes: What, no DC? Yeah I decided to back off for a bit. Going a bit lighter, bit more volume. I will most likely revisit DC in the future, but I want to keep cranking through the rest of my time with Shelby and that wouldn't be possible with the DC format.

Shelby is happy with my progress. Filling out, but staying lean. No changes for this week. Posting some photos in the members pics section.
    My Journal

great rack pulls
    2000 or bust

Good luck with the new bulking plans.

Coke and Terry: Thanks bros.

Legs:
    Calf Raises: 2pps+35*10

RLDL: 285*10, 285*9

Hacks: 2pps+25ps*12, 2pps*18
    ->the 2nd set was light, but I was hurting big time. Kept pushing for one more.

Notes: So I'm trying to figure how I am going to revamp my routine.
    My Journal

I wonder if Shelby would help with setting you up with a routine?

JOURNAL

Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500