The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Results are noticeable man, I think once you go back and look at the before / final pics you will see the depth of the improvements. On a weekly basis, it's much more difficult to recognize improvements. I do notice the thickness, and size in certain areas man. The hard works payin off man, keep those cals up too!!
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

Risk: Ha, I'm cheap man when it comes to stuff like tvs. That is not only an old school tv, it's all fuzzy and hardly works. I ripped the front off the ikea dresser I have. The tv stand is actually a kitchen cutting block. I know I need to upgrade, but waiting to see what happens at work. We had more layoffs this week. Make through this year and see a decent bonus and I'll be upgrading a few things.

Gabe: Thanks bro!

Shoulders:

DB Press: 90*8, 80*8, 75*7
    ->strong here today. No problem getting off the first of the heavy set. Normally struggle this high kicking them up. This 90 year old man gave me a spot on the last set. He's a trip. I am probably exaggerating his age, but his is still pretty damn muscular and ripped. Maybe in his 70's. He was incline pressing 45lb db, but was probably only 120lbs. He jumped behind me and spotted me w/o asking (he was waiting for my bench). I would normally be pissed if someoene did that, but I'll give him a pass.

Lat Raise 35*8, 35*8

Face Pulls: 40*12, 60*12
    ->some trap work Cocoa!

Cybex Preacher: 120*7, 100*8, 80*8

Pushdowns: couple high rep sets. Worked up to the bottom of the stack.

Notes: So as I said above they are laying more people off at my firm. One of the portfolio managers I worked with was let go. A lot of guys in the role I would love to move to were let go. It sucks to see them leave. It means more work might fall on my shoulders. My manager told us to let him know if that happens. He knows we don't have capacity. It hasn't been uncommon for me to be at work until 9 or work from home until late. The good news is that when all this crap is over it might open an opportunity for me, but going to have to wait longer than I had hoped...

So I have said how much I hate my gym. Yesterday I went to go do my presses, and 10-15 sets of DB are just thrown all around the floor. Total mess. Then when I am sitting there two of the off duty trainers came over and were working out right in front of the db rack (huge pet peeve of mine!) The one kid was literally right in front of me. I could see the mirror (not a huge deal, but I want to see the rep range of my press) and was in the way of the DBs I need. I asked him to move. I shouldn't have to ask him to move. He should know better.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

DB Bench: 115*5, 100*10, 90*12
    ->I can't get over how light the DBs are feeling. The 115s scared me. I've only done them maybe once before. Balance was a bit of an issue. Will get 8 no problem next time. This is more than I can do with a BB...

Incline Smith: 200*10/5/4
    ->had to wait forever for this. I need a couple minutes after the DB work anyway. Fatigued very fast/

Rack Pullups: +100*9
    ->huge balance issue. That is a big freaking db to have close to your boys. The rack opened so I had to move on.

Rack Pulls: 495*7, 405*6
    ->I was psyching myself out with the 495, but they weren't that bad. I'm worried to go heavier, so not sure what to do now. Maybe deads...

Pullups: BW*8
    ->slow, to bottom of chest. Then some hanging for stretch.

Notes: Weight was 185, but dehydrated today. Over 187 this weekend fully hydrated. My best news of the day is that I can cancel my gym membership with no penalty, just need to give a month. There are a couple big bodybuilding gyms in the city. Going to check them out this weekend. This current gym won't push me to new heights.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Doing the right thing dude, leave that gym because your training enviroment is key.

Good idea with the gym change.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Doing the right thing dude, leave that gym because your training enviroment is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Good idea with the gym change.
    Im with these guys. The wrong gym really can hold you back man.

The effort is there for sure though C, keep it up.
    Last edited by DGabe24; 11-12-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

Cocoa, Joey, Gabe: Change will be good!

Legs:
    Squats: 225*4, 245*4, 275*2, 295*2
    ->I was tired so didn't want to go higher reps, but the last set was stupid. Not going to make this mistake again.

DB Lunges: 40*24, 40*24
    ->that's total reps, so half for each leg. Also thats DB per hand. Width of the gym and back. Glutes were banged up like they haven't been in a long time.

Smith GMs: 95*12, 95*12

Notes: I'm done being nice at this gym. Every time I go on a machine some jackass has left weight on it. There was a couple plates when I got to the smith. I would normally rerack them, but I just threw them on the floor. Very not like me, but **** it. They should enforce making people clean up after themselves. Not my job.
    My Journal

Looks like a pretty good session...way to be closing up shop at that place, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Cocoa, Joey, Gabe: Change will be good!

Legs:
    Squats: 225*4, 245*4, 275*2, 295*2
    ->I was tired so didn't want to go higher reps, but the last set was stupid. Not going to make this mistake again.

DB Lunges: 40*24, 40*24
    ->that's total reps, so half for each leg. Also thats DB per hand. Width of the gym and back. Glutes were banged up like they haven't been in a long time.

Smith GMs: 95*12, 95*12

Notes: I'm done being nice at this gym. Every time I go on a machine some jackass has left weight on it. There was a couple plates when I got to the smith. I would normally rerack them, but I just threw them on the floor. Very not like me, but **** it. They should enforce making people clean up after themselves. Not my job.

haha, i tend to do the same most of the time. cleaning up after people in the gym gets old. so how is everything going with shelby? good/bad, any thoughts?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Still Lifting Con?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Terry: thanks man.

RBB: Going fine. I didn't expect miracles. Slowly and steadily getting bigger and stronger. About what I expected. He is competing next weekend, so he tossed in an extra week since he will be MIA for a week or so. I hope to be just under 190 when we are done. Look bigger at leaner at this weight than in the past.

Paul: After attending your show I am quiting lifting and taking up knitting!

Shoulders: Done Friday

DB Press: 90*8, 80*7, 70*7
    ->pretty good strength.

Lat Raise: 35*15/12

HS Shrugs: 1pps*10, 1pps+25*10
    ->long hold at the top of each rep.

Preacher Curl: 120*6, 100*6, 80*5

Notes: Some pushdowns too. Wanted to do dips, but of course the belt was broken. Wanted to do some rack presses, but of course the pins for the rails were missing. Got pissed and left.

Chest:
    DB Bench: 120*5, 105*10, 90*12
    ->My old w/o partner was in the gym today. I asked him for a spot, so I decided to grab the biggest dbs in the gym. He looked at me like I was crazy. He certainly tapped up a few of the rest. All in all not a bad set considering the weight. Back down to the 115s until I get at least 8 clean strong reps. People look at me like I'm crazy when I grab some of the big bastards. Guess they look funny in my skinny arms.

Smith Incline: 205*8, 205*6, 185*6
    ->tired fast

Rack Pulls: 505*4, 455*8
    ->people were staring during the first set. One of the bigger guys in there just nodded and said something like that's what I'm talking about. Haha. Had to wait forever for the rack. Some guy did set after set of light quarter squats.

Pullups ss/BB Rows: bw*15/135*15, bw*12/135*15

Notes: Decent session. But way too long and got home after 10pm because of it. New place needs to have at least 2 racks. I just missed getting the rack and had to wait probably 15-20 minutes for it. Just wasting time.

Went to Paul's show. He looked great. The guys at the shows were freaks. I'm in the wrong sport!
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    ..Went to Paul's show. He looked great. The guys at the shows were freaks. I'm in the wrong sport!
    No joke, freaks abound at the bodybuilding shows...you are in the right sport dude - don't quit and take up knitting, lol.
    Last edited by Coke; 11-17-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Tremendous pressing strength with those DB's.

Terry: After all the years I've been around here I think you know I won't ever quit!

Joey: Thanks man, but still need to be stronger! I moved the biggest DBs in the gym. Now need to handle them like they are little pink dbs.

Legs:
    Squats: 245*5, 245*5, 265*4
    ->getting better on depth. Should tape them again to see where I'm at.

DB Lunges: 45*24, 45*20
    ->weight per hand. Total steps, so half for each leg.

Leg Machine Calf Raise: 1ps+25*?
    ->didn't count, tired.

Smith GMs: 135*8, 155*8

Notes: So so so tired today. I worked over 11 hours on Monday and Tuesday. Last night class till 10. Haven't gotten much sleep.

Feeling a bit thicker. Lats are getting there.

Last edited by cphafner; 11-18-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    My Journal

Holy wings batman!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Ha. Thanks Paul. My lats looked better from the front than the back
    My Journal

It is a good front shot.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    It is a good front shot.
    No doubt, damn good shot there Conor...like them squats, lunges and all.

Joey and Terry: Thanks guys.

Shoulders and Arms:
    DB Press: 85*8, 75*10, 70*9
    ->couldn't get the 90's started. These sucked.

Lat Raise: 35*15, 35*12
    ->I'll be going up next time.

Preacher Curls: 90*12/10/6

Dips: +100*6

Notes: Just a ****ty workout. This is my last week with Shelby. After this week I am taking a week or two off. Tired and my joints need a break. Some big dude working out. Was actually really nice. We were bitching about the DB rack being a mess. Helping each other find DBs. There was also some fool in there. He asked the big guy how much longer he had one of the benches. Then asked me. I told him 3. He seemed annoyed. He kept bragging to people that he could now bench the 110s. I didn't watch, but I could imagine what his form looked like. One of the trainers was like wow your still here. The kid said yeah going on 3 hours now. The trainer was like wow that's a good workout. I wanted to smack each of them and tell them it was the dumbest thing that has ever come out of a trainers mouth, but not worth wasting my breath.
    My Journal

Sounds like a fun gym loL!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Lookin' solid as hell con. Definitely the biggest knitter I ever did see!

Paul: I hate it, but might be sticking around now...

Mik: Ha, thanks man.

Chest and Back:
    DB Bench: 115*5, 105*10, 95*11
    ->I was falling off the bench during the sets of 115.

Incline Bench: 135*10, 12, 12, 12

Rack Pulls: 514*4, 455*8

Notes: Weight is 187. Gym was 200 hundred degrees. I was getting light headed and dizzy. Took long rests between exercises trying to cool down. Ran into my old workout partner. He wants to start getting back into a routine with me. He's a freak. Hardly works out recently. Eats like crummy. Still a solid 220. Damn him. Would be good to start up with him again. Would mean I'm staying at my crappy gym. I guess I can be tolerant if it means a solid workout partner.

This was supposed to be my last week with Shelby. He is tossing in one for free since he was MIA last week for Nationals (he said this before he left town for the show). Weight during the 12 weeks went from 179 to 187. I was hoping to get to 190, but I still put on some solid weight.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by cphafner; 11-24-2009 at 09:59 PM.
    My Journal

Lats looks great in the front lat spread. Keep up this progress once you are done with shelby!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Did very well with this project, made some nice gains as those pics reflect...solid db benching and rack pulls.

Sid and Terry: Thanks guys. Please with the results.

Legs: forgot to write it down...nothing special.

Chest/Back:
    DB Bench: 115*7, 105*9, 95*11
    ->pushed out 2 more reps with the 115s. Really busted out a good strong set.

Incline BB: 185*8, 205*58->155*6
    ->had a spotter, so did some free weight. Not a bad effort.

Rack Pull: 520*3, 405*6
    ->not a good day here. Filmed the set and form was ****. Over extending at the top. Just not a good effort.

Strive Rows: 175*12, 135*15
    ->just to get some blood pumping

Notes: Big news is that I was 190.4 yesterday. I don't care if 3lbs was water and bloat! Haven't been over 190 is some time. Back down to 187 today. Taking a 2 week break from the gym. Will be back off the carbs quite a bit during my break which will hopefully decrease some of the bloat. When I come back hopefully it will kick start some insulin response and shock some new muscle growth.

Ran into my old workout partner. He lifts on and off. Eats what he wants. Is a solid (and fairly lean) 220. Jumps on the bench and pops off 335*4. Jerk. Haha. He wants to start hitting it together again. Dude is strong.

I know Cocoa wants me to work on my traps. They aren't big, but I swear I have some. I don't ever show them in photos. Normally focus on showing the lats and shoulders. Bbing is all about showing your pluses and hiding your minuses. Here are a glimpse at my small traps and a few veins. Love the veins.

Last edited by cphafner; 11-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    My Journal