The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    How tall are you? From some of your videos it looks like you're at least 6'. You look pretty damn big for 187, good **** man.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    How tall are you? From some of your videos it looks like you're at least 6'. You look pretty damn big for 187, good **** man.
    5'11 on a tall day. Probably closer to 5'10. Thanks man!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I know Cocoa wants me to work on my traps. They aren't big, but I swear I have some. I don't ever show them in photos. Normally focus on showing the lats and shoulders.
    No doubt man, you got some traps - there just wasn't as much trap work in comparison to other movements in here...looking big in that shot too.
    Last edited by Coke; 12-02-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Terry: Thanks man. I have added some light trap work back in. Slow and squeezing at the top.

Notes: So I guess this will be a bit of more like a blog for the next couple weeks while I deload and rest up. Today was day 1 without Shelby in my corner. Kept the diet the same as last week. I really wanted to cheat on my diet today. Almost went to Wendy's for lunch. Got stuck at work late and almost went for pizza. Instead I stuck to my chicken and sweet potatoes. Gotta keep an eye on the bigger picture. Outside of turkey day I haven't had a real cheat meal in 13 weeks. Been eating pretty much like a precontest diet, but with more cals. I'll give myself a cheat meal soon. Maybe some fast food this weekend. Just have to be careful that I don't do it too often.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

So here are the photos I sent Shelby this week. These are the after photos from our time together. I'm certainly thicker. My arms and chest are bigger. I was talking to my roommate last night and he was like damn your arms got big.

My Journal

Looking great, added muscle lines along with the increased size...major props for sticking to the clean eating, that's not an easy thing for most of us.

Jeeez Con, you look blown up as hell. Everything looks much much thicker, aside from your legs - but they ain't shabby

CP you plan on competing again in the future?

Terry: Thanks! Will power is something I seem to not have a huge problem with. Guess it works well in this sport.

Risk: Thanks man. Squats are my priority for 2010. I'll get the legs up!

Invain: I never say never, so we'll see...I would need another 20lbs to be competitive. Need more size everywhere. If I get that added weight, maybe just maybe, but who knows what I'll be up to in a year.
    My Journal

Random Upper Day:
    Bench: 185*3, 225*3, 225*3, 225*3

Pec Deck: No idea. Just went for 3 or 4 sets.

Pulldowns: same as above.

Deads: 225*6, 225*6, 225*10

Notes: Weight is a around 187. Still on a bit of a break from the weights. Nothing here was done to failure. Going to get back in there full tilt this weekend. Still deciding was to do for a routine...
    Last edited by cphafner; 12-09-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    My Journal

Bench: 185*3, 225*3, 235*3
    ->easily had a 4th in me for 235 (and maybe a 5th) but wasn't pushing w/o a spotter.

Overheard Press: 95*6, 135*5
    ->haven't done these in a long long time.

DB Bench: 100*9, 100*6

Neutral Grip Pullups: bw*8, +25*10, +25*6

Notes: Pretty damn hung over today. Went out to hh last night. Couple whiskeys, bunch of beers, and some tequila...saw the girl I dated a couple years back. She just got married. She told me she picked the wrong guy. I was always the one. She messed things up with me, and wishes things could have gone differently. I told her I wished the same. We would have been perfect together. She's even a big gym junkie. Does crossfit. She said she benches 145 and deadlifts something around the same. Killer body. Told me by arms looked huge thru my dress shirt. We wound up talking until something like 1:30. Bitches man.

I buy the 5/3/1 book. I am debating starting it up. Today was a test on bench and overhead so I can estimate maxes.
    Last edited by cphafner; 12-12-2009 at 10:01 PM.
    My Journal

Rough one CP. I wouldn't have even given her the time of day, but you are a class act. Good workout and good plan.

Joey: I should man. We both have a big weakness for each other. Trouble.

Deads: 315*1, 365*, 405*1
    ->to quote the other guy from The Wedding Singer "I used to be much stronger"

Squats: 275*1, 315*1, 335*1
    ->see above

Notes: That was about what I expected. Damn I'm weak.

315 squat
    Video

405 Deadlift
    Video
    Last edited by cphafner; 12-13-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    My Journal

Ace squats and deads vids.

I take a few days off from the gym and fall to page 5 of journal land
    My Journal

Journal land is getting rough. Busy is good for the site though. Deadlift looked good, man. On the squat, bring your feet in just a bit and turn your toes out more. It looks like you're having a hard time getting your knees out. I think that's just a groin flexibility issue if I remember right.

We ran 5/3/1 for 8 months. It was a good time. We did the boring but big for accessory stuff and did really well on it. Shoot me your email and I can send you a work sheet that we used that gave us a more clear plan for pushing the rep maxes. I did a couple calculations in excel that would let us know at least how many we needed to do to hit our projected maxes and what we would need to do in order to beat last week's numbers. It gave us more defined weekly goals and let us push a little harder.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Lots of newer journals here now which is great for WBB, but it is too bad half of 'em won't circulate or network like we all did early on.

Nothing wrong with an occasional cheeseburger from Wendy's bro, lol.

Yeah I've been surprised at the increased traffic lately.

Terry: Thanks man.

Will: Appreciate the tips. I'll work on it. Sent you my email via PM.

Invain: Yeah it's been crazy

OH Week 1, Round 1:
    OH Press: 85*5, 95*5, 110*15
    ->uh, got a few more than 5 on the third set

DB Bench: 95*10, 90*10, 85*10, 80*10, 80*9

Cybex Pulldown: 150*10, 190*10, 210*10, 210*10, 210*10

Dips: +70*10, +60*10, +50*10, +40*10, +30*10

Notes: Weight was 187. Feeling fat. Will just keep plugging. I think I did this right today. And 5/3/1 guys reading this feel free to chime in with critiques!

My roommate recently lost his job and told me last night he might have to move out. We have 6 months left in our lease. Not sure what I am going to do. I told him not to make a rush decision. I can't believe he didn't have more than a month or two worth of cash saved up. I told him to check with our rental company and see if they can try to fill our place. I would then move into Manhattan closer to work and school. Will certainly cost me more which is not good because we had another crappy year comp wise at the office. My step mom offered to let me live in her house for free. She is living at my dad's. Her house is empty while she tries to sell it. It's about 35 mins out of the city. I don't know how I would make that work since I would need a car to get to/from the train station. Really don't feel like living there, but I could put 1k+ a month into my savings if I went that route. Really don't feel like dealing with this.
    My Journal

Connor thats a tough one with the living situation. I agree that you need to save up some cash for when rainy days come along, but sometimes life just doesn't allow.

Deads: 235*5, 275*5, 310*8
    ->felt ok. Working on form today. Felt pretty good.

Hammers: 45*10, 45*10, 40*10, 40*10, 35*12, 35*10

Seated Leg Curls: 130*12, 130*12, 130*12, 130*10, 110*12, 110*10

Leg Press Calf: 2pps*20, 2pps*18, 2pps*16, 2pps*16, 2pps*15

Leg Press: 4pps*16, 4pps*10
    ->my knee felt like I twisted it. Didn't want to push my luck.

Notes: Weight was 188. Had a nice rebound once the carbs came back in. I know calves and biceps aren't in the plan. I can't imagine not doing them. Need to keep balance to my frame. Any of you guys have thoughts on this?
    My Journal

Good luck with the housing dilemma - I know if it were me, I'd just assume to stay right where I'm at until the lease ended.

I have never seen anything get you off track, major props!!

Terry: Thanks man. Luckily things worked out with my roommate.

Bench Week 1: 150*5, 170*5, 200*13

Incline BB: 155*12, 155*8, 145*8, 135*10, 135*8

HS Iso Rows: 2pps*15, 2+10*15, 15, 12, 10

Cable Pushdowns: 1005*15, 15, 10, 90*12, 10

Notes: Weight was 189. I haven't been eating well. Went to a BBQ place last night. It was garbage, but I ate a lot. I took today and tomorrow off from work. I over slept today. Will probably fall a meal short, but we'll see. I reread 5/3/1 today and realized that Wendler considers dips a chest exercise and not tris, so I will fix that next time.

Thankfully, my roommate got a job offer yesterday. He is pumped. Job he wants. So he will be able to keep paying rent. He is still thinking about moving home to save some money. but now we have time to figure it out.
    Last edited by cphafner; 12-23-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    My Journal

I wannabebig!
    I dont get it... he considers dips a chest exercise and not dips?

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    I dont get it... he considers dips a chest exercise and not dips?
    ah typo. Meant he doesn't consider it a tricep exercise. Good to see you around.
    My Journal