The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Coke: I wish man. Maybe when I settle down and have a family I can go back there. For now I'll suck it up in the city. When my membership expires at NYSC I might look at some of the bigger gyms, they just aren't as convenient location wise.

Notes: I am alive. I worked out Friday and had a decent session. I'm out in Cali for the weekend. Came out to visit this girl I met over the Holidays in NY. She is a cousin of a girl I went to HS with. Cool chick. Hung out in W Hollywood last night with them. Down in San Diego visiting my brother. Heading down to La Jolla for a bbq in a bit.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Upper B:
    HS Iso Bench: 2pps+20*16 RP
    ->can def bump up a bit here.

Smith Mili Press: 195*14 RP
    ->these felt heavy

Dips: +100*16 RP
    ->starting to question if these are a good rest pause exercise

Pulldowns: 180*15
    ->good weight. Will go up 5lbs next time.

Iso Rows: 4pps+10*10
    ->dying by this point.

Notes: This workout was last Thursday. I went out to Cali for the weekend. Partied on Friday in W Hollywood. Then down to La Jolla/Orange county to see my brother on Saturday. Had a blast. Took it's toll on my diet and rest. I should be sleeping now.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Good work man.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post

Dips: +100*16 RP
    ->starting to question if these are a good rest pause exercise
    I think that is a valid concern, but more importantly, is it an exercise you can make a huge progression in? Maybe something like a floor press, pin press, or something of the such might be better. See where you are at the end of the blast. How is your body holding up?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Travis: Thanks man.

Joey: That's a good way to think about it. The answer is probably no.

Notes: Had a bad workout today. Maybe I'll post tomorrow. Terrible day at work. I worked until 8 on Monday. Tonight I was there until 7. I had an awful day. I even made a trading error which I have to deal with tomorrow. Then had a bad workout. Weighed in a couple lbs light. After the workout I realized I lost my lock key. Luckily it's a cheap little lock (I think for suitcases) and I could rip it open by hand w/o the key. Then had to deal with some family issue. Then I had 3 hours of homework to do (my fault for procrastinating). Didn't even eat dinner. Fell short on cals today. I finally got into bed at 1:00. Just as a I was falling asleep I had a little panic attack wondering if I screwed something else up at work. I logged on to my pc remotely and found out I did not. It's now 2am and don't see myself falling asleep anytime soon. Need to be up at 6:30 to start it all over again. Tomorrow night I have work then class until 10, which means I won't get much sleep tomorrow either. Today was just one of those days where nothing could go right. Been that kind of week. I gave a buck to a homeless guy hoping that even the slightest bit of good karma might come my way tomorrow. End of rant.
    Last edited by cphafner; 01-27-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    My Journal

Days like that are always rough man. I'm sure good karma is coming.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Sid: Not today bro!

Upper C:

Smith Incline 225*13 RP (+10, -2 reps)
    ->got real heavy on 2nd and 3rd set

Cybex Shoulder: 115*17 RP(+5, -2 reps)

Smith Reverse Grip Bench 200*19 RP(+5, -1 rep)

Pullovers: bar+60*23 RP (+10, +5)
    ->better bench than last time really made these easier

DB Rows: 90*18 (same, +3) SS
    ->didn't write down what I did last time, should have gone up here this week. Next time 100's.

Notes: Weight was 187.5. I've been stuck in the 187-188 range for a while now. Diet was f'ed up again today. Another late night at work. Gone 8, 8, 5:30 (then class till 10), 8 so far this week. Tomorrow I have a makeup class at 8. Been a rough week. So tired. I was shocked I had so much energy during this weekend.
    My Journal

Keep your chin up CP

I feel you on the being tired stuff

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Good stuff there dude, just went right through that effort like nothing.

Travis and Coke: Thanks guys. Need to figure out how to deal with my stress levels. Might be time for a talk with my managers. They need to get me some help!

DC Upper A:
    Flat DB: 110*17 RP (same, +5 reps)
    ->got a spot on 2nd and 3rd sets to help on the first rep. Didn't count them. Made a big difference.

HS Shoulder Press: 2pps+5*17 RP (+10lb, +2 reps)

Smith Close Grip: 230*12 (+5lb, -2 reps)
    ->pounding headache started after first set

Pulldowns: 200*16 RP (+10lb, -1 rep)
    ->this was a bit heavy. Bit of english, but very controlled neg.

Deads: 355*6 (+20, -1 rep)
    ->damn these felt heavy. I was totally gassed. Head was killing me. Still is...
    Video

Notes: Shouldn't have weighed in tonight. Did nothing but drink and barely ate this weekend. Partied my ass off. Stress was very very high today. Working is beating the **** out of me. Tomorrow is going to be rough again.

We hosted our annual superbowl party. Went really well. People were kept saying how much bigger I looked. One girl even commented I was going to bust out of my shirt and squeezed my arm. Guess I look a bit bigger.
    Last edited by cphafner; 02-03-2009 at 10:08 PM.
    My Journal

A lot of that stress comes from being so dynamic, that's actually a good thing imo...hope all goes well.

You should be well pleased with being able to gradually add muscle while not gaining bodyweight speedily.

Coke: Thanks man. Just getting beat down a bit.

DC Lower A:

Cybex Preacher: 115*16 (+5lb, same reps)

Pinwheels: 55*8 (+5lbs, -2 reps)
    ->too heavy

Standing Calf: 245*12 (+15lb, same reps)

Lying Leg Curls: 140*13 (-10lb, same reps)
    ->form was loose last time, so lowered it a bit. Still real tough. Went a bit slower and more controlled on negative. Better set despite the lower weight.

Hoist Leg Press: 5pps+35*12 (+20lb, same reps), 4pps+35*20 (+20lb, +2 reps)
    ->both tough sets. Sucking wind.

Diet:

Cals: 4,030
    fat: 85g
    carbs: 489g
    Pro: 325g

Notes: Weight is still down at 187. Work has been crazy this week. I am gonig snowboarding with my manager this weekend. We are going to have to talk about it. I'm burning out fast. Diet the past few days has been almost all liquid. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I get the cals in. Dinner tonight was chips, queso, and chicken. What a mess.
    My Journal

DC Upper B:
    HS Iso Bench: 2pps+25*14 RP (+10lb, -2 rep)

Smith Mil Press: 200*13 RP (+5lb, -1 rep)

Dips: +102.5*15 RP (+2.5lb, -1rep)

V Grip Pulldown: 190*17 RP (+10lb, +2 rep)
    Only brough one strap today...so grip was a bit of an issue

HS Iso Row: 4pps+15*10 SS (+10lb, same reps)
    ->cleaner reps than last time.

Diet:
    3,687 cal
    72g fat
    482g carbs
    274g pro

Notes: Weight was 188. Fatigued very fast on all these sets. I got more or the same amount of reps on the first set of every exercise than last week, but got real tired real easy. Went snowboarding for the day yesterday. It was a nice break to get away from the stress of last week. Diet suffered a but because of it. I'm sure it played into the quick fatigue today.

I just added my diet info for today. It is actually a bit lighter than it really was. Probably another 150-200 calories that I didn't add to dailyplate. Still too low. No wonder I can't crack 190.
    Last edited by cphafner; 02-08-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    My Journal

Keep hittin it hard Cp!!! Seems like you're doing DC pretty true to how it was meant to be, I'm impressed.

Keep getting those cals in man, let's make 2009 as big of a year for you in the gym as it is in the office room!
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

I just had a buddy go from 185 to 201 in about 3 months. How'd he do it? Lots and lots of double bacon cheeseburgers. He's cleaning up his diet now but he ate so much crap that it was actually funny. You need to get on the eating wagon, man!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    They ranged from 29 to 35. I was amazed how fat and out of shape they had gotten. Some of these guys were elite (all-state) athletes in high school,one a D1 athelete, and one nearly an olympic skiier. They were all amazed with the shape I was in. I was appalled by how they looked. Things like that stoke my fire.
    haha! That's me!!

Good luck with the new goals!
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Gabe: Thanks man.

Will: I ate Wendy's today. Blasted my cal goals. Happy.

Justin: Ha. But your a monster!

DC Lower B:
    DB Curls: 55*9, 50*7
    ->55's were too heavy.

Cable Wrist Curls: 70*12

Seated Calf: 70*11

SLDL: 205*17

Cybex Squat Press: 5pps+25*12, 4pps+25*20

DC Upper C:
    Incline Smith Bench: 230*13 RP (+5lb, same reps)

Cybex Shoulder: 120*15 (+5lb, -2 reps)

Smith Reverse Grip Bench: 205*16 (+5lb, -3 reps)

Pullovers: +70*18 (+10, -5lb)

DB Rows: 105*17/18 (+15, same reps)
    ->left/right hands. This was the only thing that felt strong today.

Diet
    Cals: 5,030
    Fat: 132g
    Carbs: 533g
    Pro: 422g

Notes: Weight was 188. There was a girl in the gym on Tuesday (lower body workout) doing deep squats. Killer legs. She was in there again tonight doing pullups! I went and talked to her. She is a national level figure competitor. She won a few shows around here. She is prepping for nationals again. Her back is better than most guys. Her shoulders are ridiculous too. She plans on going to this location more often. It'll be good to bounce diet ideas off her.
    Last edited by cphafner; 02-12-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    My Journal

This is my 30 year too. You held up better than me - maybe it's because I already have my MBA. I'd stop now before it's too late...

Keep that protein up man! You know how Dante feels about it...protein first every meal, then your carbs/fats. I think if you can keep it around 400-450 you'll be putting on the size you want for sure...just gotta stay consistent with it.

Sounds like that girl should be you're lifting partner!

JOURNAL

Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500

Gal: Trying my best!

Gabe: Thats a ****load of protein. I'm happy to be near 2x's bw.

Diet:

115g fat
    carbs 571g
    pro 375g

Notes: Weight was 188. Did some core work, foam, rolling and stretching today. Just 30 mins or so in the gym.
    My Journal

DC Lower C:
    DB Incline Curls: 45*16/15 (+5;b, -3 reps)
    ->got one less on the right hand

Hammer: 50*10 (same, same)
    ->same as last time, but these were much cleaner reps. Last time was more cheating.

Leg Press Calf: 2pps+10*12 (+20, same reps)
    ->pretty f'ing brutual, but made it thru to the 11th and 12th more easily than previously. Normally after the 6 or 7th I am crying.

Seated Ham Curls: 150*23 (+10, same reps)

V Squats: 5pps*8, 4pps*18 (+40lb, same reps) (+40lb, same reps)

Diet:

4,280 cals
    127g fat
    446g carbs
    343g pro

Notes: Weight was 188. This was yesterday. End of this round. I was thinking of stopping and going on a cruise, but feel pretty good, so one more round. I have a feeling I will have a tough time making progress on a few exercises this time around, but we'll see. The V squats worry me. That is a lot of weight on my back. I might be better off going lighter on free weight squats. Something to think about for the next blast.

If Will reads this...I've had McD's, Wendy's twice, and Qdoba in the past 4 days. Going to a bar for a burger today. Happy!
    Last edited by cphafner; 02-15-2009 at 09:46 AM.
    My Journal

CP, I think your protein intake right now looks fine. Good job on this blast. On the V-Squats, just up the reps. If you notice, I did this for this time around. It makes it brutal. For your curls, don't alternate. Do them at the same time. Takes less time for one, and you don't have to worry about getting 1 rep more on one arm. Keep up the good work.

Just get under the bar!

Lookin good man, keep hittin it hard and make sure not to put off your cruise for too long...it's a trap that all too many people fall into.

JOURNAL

Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500

Bar burgers are great! There's this little place right next to the gym that does double bacon and chili cheeseburgers. You can't beat that for some extra calories. If you do McD's make sure it's the double quarter pounder. The Big Mac is a waste. Half the protein and only two-third the calories.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Joey: Thanks man. I'll work those tips in.

Will: I actually went with steak and eggs at the bar. I normally do the quarter pounder. Guess I can go up to the double. When I go to wendy's it's 2 double stacks and a baked tater.

Gabe: This will be the last round. It will have only been an 8 week blast.

Diet:

Cals: 3,965
    Fat: 121g
    Carbs: 393g
    Pro: 324g

Notes: This was yesterday's diet. Need to keep tracking it. Fell a bit short. This doesn't include 2 beers. They are calories right? If you count those I hit 4200.
    My Journal