Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: CP's Journey to the next level

Cocoa: Thanks man.

Decline BB: 215*18 (+10, -5reps)
    ->dissapointing

HS SHoulder: 2pps+10ps*21 (+20, -7 reps)
    ->dissapointing here too

Dips: +65*21 (+10, -1 rep)
    ->these were better

Pulldowns: 180*19 (+10, -1 rep)

Strive Row: 170*12 (+10, -2 rep)

Notes: I was exhausted last night. I was at the office until 7:30. I ran to the gym and then headed home and finished up my work around 11:00. This was a crazy week. I barely slept and it took it's toll on my by last night. I slept today until noon today. Going to hit a bit of cardio n a bit and then do some reading this afternoon. Watching the UFC tonight.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

So it's late and I'm slightly drunk and maybe shouldn't make decisions now, but I am adding some carbs back in and going to get the weight moving north again. I went to a bar to watch the UFC and bumped into 2 of the trainers from the gym. The one guy is cool as hell and is the only guy I talk to in there. He asked my weight and was emabarassed to say it. I am down 18lbs this summer. That is crazy. Way too much. I am going to start adding 50g of carbs back in and see what happens. I'll keep adding back in carbs as needed. I want to stay fairly lean, but need to fill back out. I am also going to throw deads back in. My back is tight, but not hurting. Just need to stretch, do my core work, and fight through the tightness. Time to man up.

I told the trainer I don't think people like me in the gym. He said I respect you. You come in and pound thru your workout. You don't come in and socialize like everyone else. I'll take that as a compliment. He is a former MMA fighter. Told him one of my buddies wanted me to try BJJ. Told me to come roll with him sometime if I wanted.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

DC Lower B:
    Cybex Preacher Curl: 120*16 (+10, -1 rep)
    ->really gutted out the last rep on the 3rd set. Wanted one more, but it wasn't happening.

Cable Wrist Curls: 70*12 (same, +2)
    ->not sure I'll be able to jump to 80 next time. That 10lb makes a big difference

Seated Calf: 65*12 (+10, +2 reps)
    ->tough set. My calves felt like rocks afterwards.

Sumo Leg Press: 2pps+25ps*40 (+50, same)
    ->I was really surprised by how strong I was here today. Obviously I can go up next time.

Front Squat: 135*10 (+40*10), 185*4 (+70, -4 reps)
    ->next time I will start with 185 for a heavy set and then go into a widowmaker.

Notes: Weight was barely over 180 today. I added 50g of carbs back in, so around 150g on w/o days.
    My Journal

Dude, get into the whole BJJ thing. It's a helluva workout and a lot of fun.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Widows on a free front squat would be tough. Don't think I will ever have the fortitude to try those. That will be a good movement to get strong on.

UFC-100 was cool, it'd be interesting to see you get into the MMA game - you're a hard worker to begin with.

Chubs and Cocoa: No way fellas! I'm a pretty boy. I'd rather watch than fight.

Joey: Not sure I'll ever get to a full 20 rep set on front squats. Too afraid to tweak my back. Will probably handle them more like a deadlift rep range.

DC Upper C:
    HS Press: 2pps+35ps*11 (+20lb, -6 reps)
    ->just barely got in the rep range. I think this was the heaviest I have done. I feel like I could get 5lbs more per side and stay above the range. Energy was a bit low yesterday.

Strive Shoulder Press: 130*16 (+5, -2 reps)

Reverse Grip Smith Bench: 205*22 (+10lb, +3 reps)
    ->think the caffeine really started kicking in, got a surge of energy.

Nautilus Pulldown: 180*23 (+10lbs, +1 rep)
    ->tough set

HS Iso Row: 3pps+25*15
    ->sucking wind. Going to start pushing the weight up here.

Notes: Went to the location near school and it sucks! I have done a few leg workouts there, but this may have been my 1st upper body there. The clientele is terrible. There was some fat guy in jeans (with a weight belt on the whole time of course) benching. He was doing 245 and had guys spotting him on both sides like there was 600lbs on the bar. He struggled thru maybe 6 reps. Then on the last one and got pinned and the weights almost slid off one side. Great spotters. He had 3 guys following him around. It was terrible. Another kid was trying to circuit train in the leg room. He did extensions, leg curls, bicep curls, upright rows, and maybe pushdowns. He kept asking people to work in. Totally getting in the way. I was on the smith machine and he looked at me like he was going to come over and ask to use it. I think my death stare turned him aside. Tool.

Been stressed like crazy at work this week. I have a half day tomorrow thank goodness.
    My Journal

Keep hanging tough with everything, especially the workplace - no doubt you're glad to still be employed.

That's a messed up gym, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    .....I told the trainer I don't think people like me in the gym. He said I respect you. You come in and pound thru your workout. You don't come in and socialize like everyone else....

I have the same issue at my gym. I never socialize unless its at the end of my workout and someone stops me on my way out the door. I feel the same way. I feel like most people don't like me either considering I never socialize, use chalk, and lift heavy weights compared to them. I always expect a trainer to come up to me one day and say 'hey you're not allowed to use chalk, or hey people get intimidated by how much weight you lift, could you tone it down?' So I feel ya, I just stay respectful and help people out when they ask for it.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Cocoa: Just doing the best I can!

Dynamo: The trainers either like me or stay out of my way. I've been at this gym for years now. I clean up after myself, so no one has ever said a peep to me. Maybe it's because I'm not out lifting them though! Thanks for stopping in.

DC Upper C:
    Drag Curls: 85*20 (+20, -8 reps)
    ->moved from the premade bars to the curl bar. Better weight. Will go up again.

Hammers: 55*10->5 (+5lb, +5 reps)
    ->the 55's felt real light today. My gym is in the basement and given how humid it was in the city yesterday the moisture gets real bad down there. The weights were slipping out of my hands, so added some straps and cranked out a few more.

Standing Calf: 255*12 (+15, +2 reps)
    ->good. Moving up next time

Pull Thrus: 90*33 (+10, same reps)

Squat Press: 6pps+25*10 (+50, +1 rep), 5pps*15 (same, +2 reps)
    ->these were rough. This is the most weight I have ever used on here. I though I may have tweaked my ham, but rolling and stretching seemed to knock it right back down.

Notes: Didn't weight in will weigh in later today. See where I am after a bit of carb loading.

Had a rough day at work. Was supposed to leave @ 2 for a "half day". I left about 3. One of my coworkers messed up and I had to clean the mess. Not only did I spend the day cleaning his mess, I couldn't do any of my work. Next week should be fun.

Going to a bbq today. Going to the Yanks tomorrow. Should be a fun weekend, and hopefully release some stress!
    My Journal

I like your approach to the front squats. When I turn to them I am just using them for the heavy set and will probably use another movement for the widow. Enjoy the weekend.

Joey: Thanks man. They are tough on the quads. Would love to get the weight up on them.

DC Incline A:
    Smith Incline: 235*13 (+10, -4 reps)
    ->these felt heavy as hell.

Lat Raise: 45*14 (+5, -7 reps)
    ->same as above. Can't imagine much progress will be made on these.

Close Grip Smith: 225*15 (+20, -3 reps)
    ->these felt stronger than the 1st two exercises. Seems to be a trend...

Rack Pullups: +60*24 (+5, -1 rep)
    ->balancing the DB is getting tougher. Decent weight.

Rack Pulls: 365*6, 315*11
    ->felt strong. Back is a bit tight now. New exercise.

Notes: Weight is back over 180. It feels like the caffeine has been kicking in about the 3rd exercise. Maybe I need to take it earlier. Add rack pulls in. Felt great. While I was getting ready for my 2nd set, some jackass came up and asked me how many sets I had left. I had wrapped up on the bar and had my headphones in and loud. I had to unwrap and take out my headphones to talk to him. Why couldn't this character wait until I finished my set. It was obvious I was about to start. Freaking people. I told him I had one left, but someone else was waiting for the rack (which was true). When I finished I signaled the 1st guy that was waiting. Helped him rack the bar and move it up so he could squat. I'm not jerk, just hate jerks.
    My Journal

Props on throwing the rack pulls into the mix.

Brutal about the guy chatting you up after you had wrapped up on the bar. Usually I shoot someone a dirty look when that happens and just make them wait until I'm done.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the rack pulls.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Cocoa: Thanks. Gonna give them a go and see how the back holds up.

Sid: So ****ing annoying. I saw him in there yesterday. He was staring at me a bit and getting under my skin. Joker. I haven't say 5 words to most people in there. Wish people would just leave me alone most of the time.

DC Lower A:
    DB Curls: 55*14 (same, +1 rep)
    ->some swinging going on. Can't see myself getting out many more reps or moving up to 60's for any decent amount of reps. Maybe I'll try the 60's and see how it goes.

Pinwheel curls: 55*11 (+5, +1 rep)
    ->did 7 reps and grip was gone, so added straps and got a few more. Grip on the forearm work has been limited. I tire quickly after the bicep work.

Seated Leg Curls: 150*30 (+10, same reps)
    ->still hate this machine, but weight is going up. These were tough. Really fought on the last set to get up to 30 total reps. I still like doing my ham work with higher reps.

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps+15ps*10
    ->I think it was 10. At one point I hit pause on my ipod (how I keep track of the timing on the reps) to talk to someone. I was holding the pause at the bottom forever. I was so out of it I forgot to hit play, so the timer wasn't moving. I held it for probably 40 seconds. Duh.

Leg Press: 5pps+25ps*8 (+50lb, -2 reps), 3pps+35ps*20 (+20, same reps)
    ->first set felt really really heavy. Second second was brutal. I was walking across the room to put one of the plates back and got dizzy. Had to sit down for a minute.

Notes: Exhausted today. I have had an insanely stressful week at work. I can't wait to sleep in on Saturday.
    My Journal

Count that 40 second hold on the calves as 3 reps CP. Way to keep pushing through.

Serious stuff with those db curls, I'm not too familiar with the pinwheel curls though.

So it's late and I'm slightly drunk and maybe shouldn't make decisions now, but I am adding some carbs back in and going to get the weight moving north again. I went to a bar to watch the UFC and bumped into 2 of the trainers from the gym. The one guy is cool as hell and is the only guy I talk to in there. He asked my weight and was emabarassed to say it. I am down 18lbs this summer. That is crazy. Way too much. I am going to start adding 50g of carbs back in and see what happens. I'll keep adding back in carbs as needed. I want to stay fairly lean, but need to fill back out. I am also going to throw deads back in. My back is tight, but not hurting. Just need to stretch, do my core work, and fight through the tightness. Time to man up.

I told the trainer I don't think people like me in the gym. He said I respect you. You come in and pound thru your workout. You don't come in and socialize like everyone else. I'll take that as a compliment. He is a former MMA fighter. Told him one of my buddies wanted me to try BJJ. Told me to come roll with him sometime if I wanted.
    do you do carb refeeds? I have started this and it works really well. Moderate carbs most days and then some days HIGH carbs (like 400-500g). The next day dude I am a beast, insanely vascular and really good leverages cause my muscles are way pumped up with nutes than normal.

I use pizza usually on the weekends cause its goooooooooooood
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 07-23-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Joey: Either way no big deal, I'll add 10lbs on next time.

Cocoa: Pins are basically hammers but done in front of your body instead of the weights on your side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqr4CJWs3E

Samadhi: I do. In the middle of it right now. I carb load every weekend.

Decline Bench: 225*13 (+10, -5 reps)
    ->these felt heavy. I probably had a few more in me, but was afraid of getting pinned.

HS Shoulder: 2+25ps*9 (+30, -12 reps)
    ->I knew this would be a jump, but didn't expect this. I did this workout at the gym near my apartment. I always feel like this machine is heavier here than at my usual. Not going to worry about this. I try it at my usual gym and see how it goes.

Dips: +70*37 (+5, +13 reps)
    ->since the first 2 exercises didn't push me endurance wise,these felt real light. It almost felt like nothing was on the belt.

Pulldowns: 190*19 (+10, same reps)
    ->these were hard.

Strive Row: 180*11 (+10, - 1 rep)
    ->same as above

Notes: Weight was light light light. Expected the scale to pop up a bit. Not going to freak out because I got hammered on Friday. I am still feeling a bit dehydrated. I actually skipped my workout on Friday for the 1st time in a while. Just had a brutal week and need to cut lose a bit. Found this awesome speakeasy type place. Drank some awesome Manhattans. Very expensive, but worth the change of pace.

I feel like I have filled back out, but the scale is saying otherwise. I feel like my chest has really seen a bit of growth, DC stretching... I'll see how the scale is next weekend and then decide if I need to tweak the diet a bit. These are just now. Still a little pump from the gym.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Journal

I've done pins before but didn't know the actual name of 'em...major props on the new size guy!!

Your chest really is looking thicker!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Cocoa: They are a good exercise. Can go nice and heavy.

Sid: Thanks man!

DC Lower B:
    Cybex Preacher: 130*12 (+10, -4 reps)
    ->these were damn tough. Only got 2 reps on the final set.

Cable Wrist Curls: 70*13 (same, +1 rep)
    ->still can't picture jumping up to 80. Maybe I'll hang a 2.5 or 5lb plate off the stack.

Seated Calf: 70*10 (+5, -2 reps)
    ->these really killed the calf. Rock like afterwards.

Sumo Leg Press: 3pps*37 (+50, -3 reps)
    ->still have more weight I can add here. Went a bit too deep. Felt them a bit too much in my quads.

Front Squats: 135*6/6->8
    ->first 2 sets done free weight. First time trying these free weight with a snatch grip. Need more shoulder flexibilty. Form didn't feel good. Did the last set on the semi smith machine.

Notes: Weight is not good again. Am going to add 50g of carbs in split pre/post workout. The guy that interrupted my rack pulls the other day asked me how many sets I had on the rack. He was patient and waited even thought I offered to share. He saw my working out shoeless and asked me about different styles of shoes to work out in. He redeemed himself a bit.

Back is tight. Need to roll and stretch before bed.
    My Journal

So I just tried to do an upper body session. Energy was crap. I failed big on my first two lifts. 3rd lift, I almost got pinned under the bar. I packed up and went home. I have had an insanely stressful week at work. Have barely slept. I am starving the past two days. I am going to listen to my body and up the carbs. Since I'm in a **** mood I will probably treat myself to some McD's tonight and force in some serious cals to my body. Back also hasn't felt good since my front squats on Monday.
    My Journal

Banned
    Smartest thing you could have done, cp. Go eat and get a good night's sleep. You'll tear that chit up next time, baby!

So I just tried to do an upper body session. Energy was crap. I failed big on my first two lifts. 3rd lift, I almost got pinned under the bar. I packed up and went home. I have had an insanely stressful week at work. Have barely slept. I am starving the past two days. I am going to listen to my body and up the carbs. Since I'm in a **** mood I will probably treat myself to some McD's tonight and force in some serious cals to my body. Back also hasn't felt good since my front squats on Monday.

Sounds like time for a mini cruise.