The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Aut Caesar Aut Nihil ( "Olympic Powerbuilding" )

Well then... i have to keep a journal somewhere... and at this point i cant even tell if my posts on the other forum are even there... so i'll start a temporary journal here. Might just turn into a permanent one. It was either here or at Pendlay forum, and though i AM a weightlifter before i am a powerlifter, this forum's journals section seems to see a lot more action than theirs.

So... long story (sort-ov) short... I started lifting lil over 8 years ago. First 6 years were powerlifting (raw, IPF style) with some dabbling in olympic lifting the last 3 or so. That whole time i wanted to weightlift, but the complete lack ov clubs, coaches, equipment, or even places to do it where i live made it next to impossible. After 6 years and hitting a pretty good level ov strength i finally gave it up and dove into weightlifting, lost almost 15lbs pretty much overnight, stopped eating/supplementing like i wanted to die an early death, and life was good again. Still having to do it either at a Crossfit (i wasn't really welcome at, because i didn't Crossfit) or at the local Leisure Center (baaaaaad bad place), i was still rather hamstrung in my efforts, and suffered a litany ov very avoidable injuries. After spending the better part ov that 2 years working around injuries or waiting for them to heal i started powerlifting again to retain my sanity. Now the injuries have (mostly) healed... but i've committed myself to some powerlifting goals again, and will see them through until November. Sometimes having a professional attitude really sucks...

I just want to god damn weightlift. I gave up an absolutely surefire in-the-bag 500lb raw bench to snatch. I'd rather snatch 140kg than bench 500lbs. Yet... in 2 years ov weightlifting... i think i've been able to snatch a total ov 5 months.

Anyways... my training is mostly 5-lift, weightlifting style... even when i powerlift, and my programming is all my own. I'm a 'more is more' kinda guy...

Right now i'm on a 4-day 'week'. This refound powerlifting emphasis has laid a hurting on my weightlifting again, but its temporary. Some general knee bitchiness has made snatching and full cleans more trouble than they're worth, so for now i'm just kinda flailing around with powercleans and pulls mostly for weightlifting. I train instinctually, sort ov "Chinese style" if i HAVE to label it, no set schemes for most lifts, at the moment, only bench follows a scheme.

My split through November looks something like this:

Day 1 - bench, squat, deadlift, heavy bench assistance (inclines, presses, close-grips, etc.), grip work
    Day 2 - olympic lifting, squat, upper back, arms,
    Day 3 - olympic lifting, squat, deadlift, grip
    Day 4 - rest

Repeat.

Only doing so much grip right now because some brutal forearm tendon issues have ruined my grip strength, and i want it back. Right now my deadlift is very strong and i'm severely limited by how much i can actually grip.

I suppose i should also add my best lifts are:
    Snatch -- 126kg @ 105
    C&J ------ 150kg @ 105 (also 157 clean and 166 jerk)
    Bench --- 465lbs @ 110 / 445lbs @ 105 strict (IPF)
    Squat --- 605lbs @ 110
    Deadlift - 660lbs @105

Not the strongest guy around, but 8 years ago it was 70kg/93kg/195lbs/275lbs/315lbs @ 181... so i've made good progress at least.
    Last edited by Judas; 09-30-2012 at 06:14 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'll start this 3 days ago... the beginning ov my latest training "week".

Week 8, day 1... My first GOOD bench session in a long long time (since March? April?). Squats didn't suck... and deadlifts though plenty strong, felt like the Earth. Also took WAAAAAAAYYY too long to do. I've GOT to stop being at the gym so god damn long...

BENCH und SQVAT und DEADLIFT und PRESS

BENCH
    45x20 (3 sets w 3 sets ov rotator cuff circuit)
    135x10
    185x4
    225x2
    275x1 strict
    315x1 strict
    345x1 strict
    375x1 strict
    400x1 strict
    420x1 strict (95%)
    370x3
    390x5 (PR) first all-out bench PR in a long time
    380x5

Since March i think. I've been doing a 5x5 peaking scheme the last month and a bit, and tonight and next 'week' i'll be peaking that, after that its 3x3. This was not all-out and i expect a good deal more come Monday. Finally got my bench speed back... and when i can bench with speed... good things happen.

Incidentally... this is more than i could rep for 5 when i was my biggest, strongest ever... 242lbs and benching 465.

PRESS
    95x8
    135x4
    165x2
    185x1
    205x1
    225x1
    245x1 goddamn hard... (91%)

Presses are always done standing, with barbell, olympic style. Full ROM and dead-strict. This was just a little experiment on where to do these in the workout... Turns out right after bench is NOT the best time...

SQUAT
    135x1
    135x3
    185x1
    225x3 heh... so busy trying to find my usual set-up i forgot do do reps...
    275x1
    315x1
    365x1
    405x1
    445x1
    475x1
    505x1
    525x1
    545x1 (90%)

Haven't hit a true 90% in a couple months... feels heavy. Definitely not as beautiful as i'm used to seeing, but they weren't terribly difficult. I haven't squatted lowbar since July, and the rust set in bad this time. Gotta get my line sorted out and quick... this should NOT be heavy. I can highbar squat this. I'm REALLY starting to hate low-bar squats.

ALL back squats in here are olympic style, upright, arched back, no belt and miles below true parallel. The only variation is high-bar or low-bar placement.

SNATCH DEADLIFT
    135x3
    205x3
    275x3
    325x3
    375x3
    425x3
    475x2 haha... chickened out...
    505x3 (PR) the dread leading up to this was not worth the reality... (100%)

Pretty funny... even 135 felt like a ton. Even dropped to doubles halfway up to mitigate the strain. Couldn't keep my ass from rising on 375 and 475 and they were truly awful. But i broke out the camera to film myself to see how bad they were getting, and right before breaking the first 505 the batteries died. Between that and the Ear-Tork i utterly destroyed the PR set. Best form ov the lot, and strict too. Had 5. My unending streak ov deadlift PR's every 2nd day continues...

BEHIND THE NECK JERK-GRIP PRESS
    95x8
    135x4
    165x2
    185x1
    205x1
    225x2 (PR)
    245xO PR attempt... not even close...
    230x2 (PR)
    220x3 (PR)
    210x5 (PR)
    190x8 (PR)
    176x10 (PR)

Hah!!! This looks downright insane... but really i only put 5lbs on every rep-PR i had. Funny i missed the single so badly... (my old single best is 242) Weird. The second half ov my bench-assistance experiment was a success... Maybe a rep left in the lighter stuff... only the double was maxed and only the last 230 rep was even remotely grind-ish.

PEC DEC
    100x10
    140x20 thats the whole stack... unfortunately...
    140x20
    140x20
    140x20

MY gym has a VERY nice, though rather uh... feminine pec-dec... so lets just say i made these rather... ballistic... to get any sort ov effect from them. Jacked myself pretty good... but in the big picture that probably amounts to shit.

---( super-set wiiiiith... )---

STATIC HOLDS (hook-grip )
    135x10 (seconds)
    205x5
    275x5
    325x3
    375x3
    425x3
    475x3
    525x3
    575x3
    600x5 hands still pretty raw... no good
    600x3 (2 attempts)
    650xO couldn't even break it???
    650xO mixed grip (just to see if its grip or strength... and turns out its definitely not grip...)
    500x27 so close!!! (needed 31 seconds)

Missing a LOT ov skin on my hands from all the recent work, and peeling off cracked callouses so they will heal. Even mummifying my hands with tape (i dont usually do this) and taping up the sore spots didn't help. No PR's today. Turns out it was just back fatigue keeping me from breaking the heavy stuff off the pins... and to be THAT wrecked is pretty god damn rare.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

This took waaaaayyy too long to do. Thats a problem i have, though as long as i'm making savage PR's every session in big lifts... i really cant see changing anything. This took 5 hours to do. Thats a bit longer than normal, but sadly... not much. Typical session for me is around 4 hours.

Bodyweight 232lbs today. I've been trying like hell to bulk since summer, but in the last month pretty much gave it up. I simply cannot afford it. Bodyweight has been static around 229-232ish since August. However... i am re-comping at an alarming rate. I have never, in my life been so lean... not even when i was a 165lb X-country mountain bike god. Very definitely under 10% bodyfat right now, and really... not even trying. The marathon sessions most assuredly do not help...
    Last edited by Judas; 09-30-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Week 8, day 2... This is a rare RARE day when i skip the squats... but my knee has been a gigantic ragging bitch the last month or so... and today it felt good... so i figured giving another day off might be even better so.... this ended up being a nice light, quick session...

MEAT!!!

MDBX (behind the head DB press, VERY deep)
    40x12
    40x10
    60x8
    80x8
    100x8
    120x8
    140x8
    145x8 (PR)

This used to be my bread and butter tricep blaster. I quickly ran out ov weight at even the bigger gyms so i kept having to find ways to make them harder... this is what i came up with. The range ov motion on these is deep as possible... wrists practically touch the delts.

Turns out this was a bit much though. In this new gym we have big DB's again (140's) and i've been aching to get back to this exercise, but recent arm issues have had me pissing around with more girly tricep exercises to keep things happy. Figures. When i was healthy i had to train at Clown School where the "BIG" ones are a whopping 100lbs...

TRIANGLE PUSH-UPS ( feet on high box )
    x8
    45x8 (plate on back)
    90x9 (PR)

Did an extra rep for the PR... as it became obvious quickly that my plan to go 3 plates was not going to happen tonight. These were murder on the wrists. Dead strict, nose touches floor, almost paused, fingers touching. Feet about 21" up.

SEATED BARBELL CABLE ROW (super-wide grip )
    150x8
    210x5
    260x5
    330x5
    390x5 (PR)
    405x5 (PR)

330x5
    330x5 stricter sets

Wow... i'm always amazed at how much harder the near-snatch grip makes these than the bench-grip. 100lbs off my bench-grip row PR last week, and on a good night too. Thats pretty big. Full ROM... elbows locked out to bar touching chest.

DB HAMAS (strict)
    15x8
    20x8
    25x8
    30x8
    35x8
    40x8
    45x8
    50x8 (PR)
    55x8 (PR)

30x12 drop set

Its been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO god damn long since i could train my biceps i'm seriously starting to fear imbalances (from all the tricep work i do). This was the fist relatively pain-free bicep exercise i've done in a month. Real stuff like BB or EZ curls are still off the table. Right now i'm happy to find anything i can do with them.

Might have been some lighter grip work in here too last night... i forget and i cant actually read my journal entry on the other forum anymore.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Usually i do some powercleans and maybe pulls first, then front squat to a max, then do this stuff. An odd workout without that... and damn i feel lazy. Made up for it the next day though...

Bodyweight 232lbs. Again, with the work i'm doing here and my other recovery efforts if i could afford REAL food right now i'd probably be 240lbs right now. I'm currently TRYING to fill out the 242 class.

Annnnnd tonights session:

Week 8, day 3... Heh... bad night. Didn't want to get out ov bed. Didn't want to go to the gym. Didn't want to stay once i got there. Didn't want to start. Didn't want to squat. But its gotta be done. I REALLY didn't think anything was going to come ov this...

OLYMPIC und SQVAT und DEADLIFT und GRIP

POWERCLEANS (all olympic stuff in kilos, always)
    45x3
    50x3
    60x3
    73x3
    85x3
    95x3
    105x3
    115x1 (253lbs) are you shitting me...??? (1 + O + O) 2 misses... (85%)

---(24 total reps / 9 over 70% / 3 over 80%)---

Either no power tonight or the brainfarts are coming back. Cleans/powercleans are my nemesis. I HATE them. They hate me. I suck at them. Considering my power levels in olympic assistance lifts... i REALLY suck at them. Nights like this dont help... even if i'm not emphasizing weightlifting right now.

CLEAN PULLS ( HIGH )
    60x3
    85x3
    95x3
    105x3
    115x3 (253lbs) last ov the good ones... (89%)
    127x3 3 very nice, solid, perfect clean pulls... just not high enough
    60x3

---(21 total reps / 12 over 70% / 9 over 80%)---

Nothing wrong with my form tonight... just NO 'pop'... at all. Nothing. Good strength. Good positions (which requires good strength)... NO snap. Hmmm...

BACK SQUAT (high-bar)
    135x8
    185x5
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5
    365x5
    405x5
    440x10 (PR) (78%)

I dont usually do reps all the way up, but tonight i just felt like doing some god damn work. I also felt like punishing my knee for being such a whiny bitch, and just got sick ov it always dictating what i can and cant do. 10lbs PR... not bad for a shit night. That last rep was hard though. Solid, straight squats however... every rep.

ROMANIAN DEADLIFT (snatch-grip )
    135x5
    225x5
    315x5
    365x10 (PR)

More is better right? Hah!!! Grow bitches!!! Grow!!!! Hahahahahahaha-ugh...

These were soul-crushing after that unplanned squat PR. Even 225 was hard... but then i broke out the GOOD tunes and wrecked that PR set. Good arch, on the heels throughout, and some very good 'snap' at the top, every rep. Pretty strong, actually.

STATIC HOLDS ( hook grip )
    315x10 (seconds) dont usually start this heavy... too lazy to un-load the bar...
    365x10
    415x10
    465x15 staying conservative.

Hands are still raw and i want them to heal... so i stuck within my comfort zone with these tonight. The fact that a 465lb hook grip static hold is now in my comfort zone is actually very promising.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Ugh. I dont want to see a barbell again until February. Earned my day off tomorrow again. Ov course... come tomorrow night i'll be thinking about lifting again, and come the next day i'll be pacing the cage until its time to go lift. Every goddamn week...

Bodyweight dove to 229lbs today. Not good. Probably just water... but if i see variations on the scale i'd much rather they be up the scale...

Well, some bloody good session J.

Keep it up, and tell Chris and Graham to come over here too

Week 9, day 1... what a shitty, shitty workout. Its nights like this that make me question this whole endeavor. Sure i got some PR's, including one all-time 'big-5' PR... but i go in with numbers in mind, about as close to a program or scheme as i get, and those numbers are ALWAYS realistic... but somehow tonight, i only got one. Strength just wasn't there tonight. Not for this stage in the program anyways...

BENCH und SQVAT und DEADLIFT

BENCH
    45x20 (3 sets)
    135x10
    185x4
    225x2 pausing all 1st reps on rep sets
    275x1
    315x1
    345x1
    365x1
    385x1
    405x1
    425x1 all strict to this point. Could have singled 440 tonight. Strong, but i wanted stronger... (95%)
    380x3
    395x5 (PR) this was supposed to be 400... and by that last rep, its a good thing it wasn't
    385x5
    370x7 wanted 8 (PR attempt)

Okay, so thats more weight for 5 reps than i could do even at my strongest ever (when i weighed 12lbs more), and whats more... had i loaded 405 tonight i could have repped it 4 times... which i failed to do 3 different times back when i was stronger as well... but i wanted 400x5 tonight. That last rep was grind-ish... and i gave it everything i had... so i guess for now thats about it. The 5's are peaked... no 400 or 405 this time around. Or yet... i may take a shot at it on a particularly strong triples day... if i have any.

Oh... and also really pissing me off for this workout... NOT ONE fucker showed up to train tonight. Not one. I did this without any spotters.

SQVAT
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    325x1 altering my warm-up scheme a bit...
    375x1
    425x1
    475x1
    515x1
    540x1 wow... hard. Perfect... but god damn hard. This sucks. (89%)

The number in mind tonight was either a strong 550+ single, or a PR triple (530 or more). Neither was happening. Even this was hard... not sure i would have got 550 with anything less than an all-out effort.

I guess those squats two days ago were as heavy as they felt...

DEADLIFT
    135x5
    205x3
    275x1
    315x1
    375x1
    425x1
    475x1
    525x1 hook-grip
    525x1 mixed grip
    525x1 straps... and hard...??? Hahahahahaha... yeah... time to go home... (80%)

Two things... One, i REALLY tooled myself two days ago. It is rare that my strength is affected this much. And two, i cant deadlift shit with a mixed grip anymore. Even at a routine 525lbs (12-15 rep weight) its moving me around in ways i just dont like. It makes one arm work harder than the other, it makes one hamstring work harder than the other (really felt this) and it makes my back want to round... well, more than hook or straps do anyways. The hook is NOT going to happen in a months time, not with much over 600lbs anyways, and the mix is not going to let me pull much over 650-660. So it would now officially seem that my 700+ pull is off the table. Fuck.

STATIC HOLDS ( hook-grip )
    315x5 (seconds)
    575x3
    600x10 (PR) nothing to get excited about... i've held 25lbs less for almost 3X as long...
    525x30 (PR) this ones pretty cool though.

Just couldn't get the 600 positive in my hands tonight... not for a second. So that was 10 seconds ov slipping. Great. The 525 was rock-solid though, and even after 30 seconds it was solid... so i put it down. The hook WILL happen... with the big weights... just not in my one month deadline. This sucks.

INCLINE DB PRESS
    40x12 (2 sets)
    60x8
    80x8
    100x8
    120xO yeah... that wasn't a very good idea...
    110x9 couldn't keep 'em straight after 9, so i put it down
    90x12 perfect reps, with some deep pauses

With a spotter/helper-upper i could nail the 120's. The pressing is not the issue... the buggy forearms are the issue... and contorting all to hell to start them with buggy forearms is just courting disaster.

This was probably my last hypertrophy hurrah ov this program. Not sure what the point even was... i cant afford enough food to gain weight right now anyways.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

And into the strength/power phase we go. Didn't gain a single motherfucking POUND ov weight during the entire bulk phase... which is so utterly unlike me i'm just literally stumped. I did re-comp at least a few pounds... so there was most definitely some solid quality LBM gain there... at least 3-4lbs, but re-comps are uncharacteristic as well, and while cool (who doesn't want to look better?) it was not THE PLAN.

Oh well... its over, its all straight power training from here... low reps, low volume, big weight. Hopefully i dont start losing weight without the volume. I expect the bench to pick up nicely from here, the squats are slowly gaining again. The deadlifts though... my ace, my wildcard... i think i just lost them. I really needed that advantage, so this... really... sucks.

Tomorrow will be another 'hell if i know' session. Feeling pretty beat right now. I'll be fine in 2 days... but tomorrow will set the pace for the rest ov the week.

Bodyweight 229lbs yesterday and today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Well, some bloody good session J.

Keep it up, and tell Chris and Graham to come over here too
    Thanks.

Looks like Benchfreak FINALLY got his 4 wheels tonight too. Repped it 3 times with a long pause on the last rep. I cant do that right now, not as fast and not with the pause anyways. The cheeky little bastard. Pretty sure i could single more though... funny how that works.

Singles is where you get measured. Bigger 1rm = stronger.

Week 9, day 2..... Change ov plans. After getting home last night and going over my calendar it dawned on me that my peaking schedule is all wrong. How such carefully plotted schemes get so far out ov line i dont know... but suddenly i've either got to move TWO bench days (day 1) up a day, or lose an entire training 'week'. Seeing as i only have 9 in total... i'd rather compromise two training weeks then lose one utterly. It is lucky i caught this right now... as switching to the power phase my workouts get easy for a while. So while the weights are down again, i'll skip a couple rest days and get the whole program back on line.

Sooo... no rest days this week, and heavy bench/deadlift every THREE days instead ov 4. All this means is the day 1 and 2 must be combined this week, and seeing as i didn't know this last night, i miss my day two (back and arms) day completely this week. So i went in to do light squats... which didn't feel like a good idea with some oddly ornery hip-flexors... instead just doing some VERY light bloodwork. A tide-over till Thursday. Shouldn't cut into recovery at all.

MEAT! (de-load)

CHEST-SUPPORTED ROW MACHINE
    50x12
    100x12 (4 sets)

Normally i wouldn't even bother with this silly machine. But tonight was a write-off anyways. This wasn't even remotely heavy.

LAT-PULL ( super-wide grip )
    150x12
    180x12 (3 sets)

Again... less than 50% here.

LEG/QUAD EXTENSION
    100x12
    120x12
    140x12
    160x12
    180x12
    200x12
    200x15
    200x20

Again... this might actually be a useful machine... as far as leg machines can be useful anyways... if it had a 500lb stack. Really nice machine... if you're a 13 year old girl.

REVERSE-GRIP PRESS-DOWNS
    60x12
    60x12
    75x12
    90x12
    105x12
    120x12

My heaviest percentage ov the night... maybe 65%? Wouldn't have felt anything less...

CABLE KICK-BACK
    30x12 (3 sets)

Just messin'...

SEATED INCLINE DB SIDE-CURLS
    15x12 (5 sets)

Sure sounds fancy in type. Sadly... even this girly weight hurt my goddamn bicep. Annoying.

-----( EVERYTHING was super-set tonight )-----

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Once i realized front squats were off the table tonight, it really just became a social event. It was a rare night when lots ov people were in there, so mainly i just fucked around with whatever was handy or already loaded to give myself an excuse to hang around. Cant see anything here still being a factor come Thursday...

Thursday being my next bigbadbench night, and though the weights back off a bit, as does the volume, i'm still repping over 90%, so i cant be too knackered. Not sure what i'm going to do tomorrow... this whole deal kind monkeywrenched my whole week.

Bodyweight 231lbs today. Powerlifting really makes me hate life. Why cant i just be strong at 220lbs...???
    Last edited by Judas; 10-03-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Singles is where you get measured. Bigger 1rm = stronger.
    Yep, thats the truth. However, i've always measured progress with rep maxes. Sticking with 1RM's for that is too one-dimensional. For instance... i am right now considerably stronger overall than when i was blasting out those big numbers 2 years ago... but at that time the 1RM's were just off the chart. This just tells me that when this all comes together, i'll be well past even that point. It WILL happen... just not sure if its going to happen by the deadline...

I agree.

But in the end, bigger nRMs still have to lead to a bigger 1RM.

Hmmm... lets try some color in here...

Week 10, day 1... One less rest day than usual, but i needed to move this day 1 up a day to keep my schedule in order. Last week was subsequently lighter than usual, but i still didn't quite know what to expect here tonight. Turns out i'm just fucking brilliant. Very good night!

BENCH und SQVAT und DEADLIFT und PRESS

BENCH
    45x20 (3 sets)
    135x10
    185x4
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    345x1
    370x1
    390x1
    410x1
    430x1 (strict) Strong... and almost fast. Very good for this stage in the game. (97%)
    375x3
    385x3
    395x3 also strong

Jolly good. Bench seems to be responding to my last-minute tweaks in the program. Could have done a 440 or 445 strict tonight... the latter would tie my all-time max. Thats also very good... as i have a month to go yet... hopefully some bodyweight to add, the CNS is still not quite 100% (it will be) and i'm still taking these out myself... just the hand-off alone at limit weights is worth a bit.

BACK SQUAT
    135x8
    185x4
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    365x1
    405x1
    445x1
    475x1
    500x1
    525x1
    550x1 nice!!! a nice solid 250kg high-bar with more in the tank. (98%)

This might be the first true sign ov life with my squats in 2 months. No knee drama, decent form throughout, good power, until i got over 90% at least. I could have squatted 560 tonight, which would tie my best ever high-bar max. This is very very encouraging.

SQUAT PARTIALS ( LOW-BAR - 14th pin )
    315x3
    405x3
    475x3
    525x3
    575x3
    625x3

Staying well away from PR territory here. Only going to do the absolute minimum i need to solidify that low-bar position again, and not a pound or rep more. These murder my bitchy forearms. They were feeling better/more positive tonight... which is good. I was easily capable ov loading a sick PR and killing it off.

PRESS
    95x8
    135x4
    165x2
    185x1
    205x1
    225x1
    235x1
    245x1
    255x1 another sign ov life... not too far off old maxes here either... 94%
    225x6 (PR)
    that last rep probably shouldn't have happened...

I normally dont record odd-number PR's... but this is 2 wheels, so thats the most i've ever done with that. Presses felt awful tonight... but that was just the ornery forearms wanting to go home after those squat partials. Once i got past the pain i found some surprising power in these tonight... and would have done more if i didn't have another bigbadbench night in only 3 days.

ROMANIAN DEADLIFT
    135x8
    225x8
    315x8
    365x8

Kept these way light tonight. Hard to get much training effect at this weight (about 100lbs off my 8RM) so i went slow, deeper than usual and paused random reps. Ended up mashing my back-legs pretty good... though not enough to screw up my deadlifts this Sunday.

Romanians were also super-set with the ass-end ov presses so i could get my ass out ov the gym before tomorrow morning...

SEATED BARBELL CABLE ROW
    150x5
    210x5
    270x5
    330x5
    360x5 (PR) for strict anyways...

Again... need some upper back work, but not enough to haunt me 3 days from now.

PEC DEC
    100x20
    140x25
    140x25

Need god damn 25 reps to feel anything on this machine... and even then its only the lactic acid attacking. Technically a rep-PR for this machine... but i refuse to record anything less than 300lbs.

These and rows were super-set as well.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Well my day 1 + 2 amalgam didn't quite pan out. Was there well over 4 hours as it was... and to add arms and grip work on top ov this it would have been 6. Guess i'll do some very light arms tomorrow after squats, plus the grip-work. Seems i can get away with more than i thought anyways... as even without the rest day my bench was stronger than ever tonight.

Bench is coming back hard now. I wonder if there is another 25lbs in it in a months time... I've still got a few trick cards up my sleeve to play as well... plus the always-possible weight gain. Hmmm... Squat may just surprise me as well... already nearing all-time strength max levels, and if the low-bar carries over like it used to... Now its just the deadlift to worry about. What to do about that i just do not know. Gamble on the hook working out? Switch to mixed for now and take my lumps? NO good options. That should be the name ov this fucking journal... 'No Good Options'.

Bodyweight 231lbs today. I'm consistently weighing in at 235-236 on the gym's fancy doctor's scale. Thats in gym clothes and shows with a meal and a shake in me. Hmmm...

This looks vamiliar. Nice string of PRs.

Shit, 2 plate press for reps. PLACE AT THE TABLE!
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Week 10, day 2... and could motivation get any lower...??? Weird... i have never been stronger (by wilks formula anyways) and have never looked better, and have a legitimate goal/focus to be reached here... but these days, i could just give a fuck. Only the stimulants seem to help this... and on 'light' nights like this one, where i dont really bother with them... shit gets heavy quick.

OLYMPIC und SQVAT und MEAT

SNATCH'N . . .
    20x3 (3 sets)
    40x2 (3 sets) ALL olympic numbers in kilos...
    50x2 (2 sets)
    60x2 (2 sets)
    70x1 powered... because i suck
    70x1 not much better...
    70x1 not much better... (56%)

---(17 total reps)---

Probably a big waste ov time... but i just wanted to god damn snatch tonight. Last session i did was so wicked i figured tonight might not suck... especially if i spent an hour stretching beforehand... but it ended up sucking anyways. Teh suckage actually seemed strength-related... oddly... even at this girly weight. Didn't think i did anything last night that would have hurt this effort...???

FRONT SQUAT
    135x3
    185x2
    225x2
    275x2
    315x2
    345x2
    375x1 haha... yeah, not happening. (85%)

Had in mind doubles all the way up to a new double PR... Even though strength seems bad, i'll always assume there is a PR in there, and end up surprised pleasantly more often than not. Just not tonight. Strength was awful tonight. Explains the snatches at least. Weird.

LEG PRESS
    90x10
    270x10
    450x10
    540x10

This was turning into work. Just a quick pump-up was all i was after, nothing even remotely taxing on the recovery.

LEG/QUAD EXTENSION
    100x20
    200x18
    200x20
    200x20 lactic acid death.

This is becoming my default 'i dont want to do any real work' machine.

PRESS-DOWNS( straight bar )
    60x12
    90x10
    105x10
    120x10
    135x10
    150x10
    165x10
    180x10

This is becoming work as well. I left the PR sets off the table for tonight. Bench should be strong this weekend.

CABLE KICKBACKS
    30x15 ouch...

Lactic acid hell seems to be the theme for tonight's session.

DB HAMAS
    15x15
    20x12
    25x12
    30x12
    35x12 (PR) gotta start 'em somewhere i guess...

15x15 DB side curls drop-set (sorta)

More ouch. Both with the burn, and the stinky bicep.

STATIC HOLDS ( hook-grip )
    135x10 (seconds)
    205x5
    275x5
    325x5
    375x5
    425x5
    475x5

Enough for tonight. Just something is all... trying to hook something every time i'm in the gym.

Hands are FINALLY healing, and my thumbs are starting to feel like leather. The front squats tonight opened up another god damn cut though... i cant win.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

A very light effort tonight... another impromptu de-load... and the last one. I think without a comp coming up i'd probably just take a month off right about now. Haven't been this unmotivated to lift for a long time. Funny how it always happens when i'm at my strongest. As it is its not even looking good to be able to do that. Money bullshit still has a very good chance ov sidelining this whole effort. I wish i knew right now whether or not it was going to happen... being 100% sure might kickstart me again. Not knowing whether or not i'm wasting my time certainly doesn't help things.

Back to the 4-day 'week' this Sunday, and back to the heavy. Cant happen soon enough... these light days are killing me.

Bodyweight 231lbs again today.
    Last edited by Judas; 10-06-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
    This looks vamiliar. Nice string of PRs.
    Thanks. There should be a LOT ov red ink in here throughout October...

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    Shit, 2 plate press for reps. PLACE AT THE TABLE!
    Ahhh... sadly no. For true Lattimers... the place at the table starts at 8 reps. I'll get there. Shouldn't be long now. Next really good day possibly... they feel that strong.

Week 11, day 1... Last compromised day one till the peak. Not sure if it was that compromise (one less rest day again) that pooched this session... but something sure did. Fucking awful. Got my bench numbers, and the press was good, but this was as much a deadlift night as anything else, and unlike bench, i only have 3 total deadlift sessions left (2 now)... and tonight... was a complete and total waste ov one ov them. It is official... my deadlift is swirling down the bowl...

BENCH und DEADLIFT und PRESS

BENCH
    45x20 (3 sets)
    135x10
    185x4
    225x2
    275x1 ALL singles from here are strict...
    315x1
    350x1
    375x1
    395x1
    415x1
    435x1 strict! Only 10lbs off my best ever... (98%)
    380x3
    390x3
    400x3

And AGAIN... i had to do all this without a spotter or a hand-off. I know tonight is a holiday... but this is the 3rd bench session alone in the last 5. I hate this place. The set-up just felt very strong and 'jacked' tonight... felt like a bench shirt would i think, with the bar just exploding off my chest. Haven't been able to do that in a long time. The single wasn't particularly blistering... even a bit on the slow side... but i had more. Not a great strength night, but with an all-out effort and a hand-off i could have benched my old PR. The triples sucked... just really didn't like how they went. I'll just blame all this on the one less rest day. Next week should be crazy.

DEADLIFT
    135x5
    205x3
    275x1
    325x1
    375x1
    415x1
    465x1
    515x1
    565x1
    605x1 this came up alright... slow, steady and straight (for once) (92%)
    640xO oh you are fucking kidding me...

Unfuckingbelievable. That 640 was supposed to be a conservative single (ov a triple weight), and i was going to rip a strong fast 585-605 triple afterwards. I do not fucking believe this. I could have pulled that 640, but my back started to round a couple inches off the floor... and that would have been the end ov any subsequent deadlift sessions this month. Now that i'm not used to doing that, IF i let it happen it wrecks me for weeks. It seems i cannot pull mixed grip without that happening at limit weights. I could rectify that as well... but it would take a couple months, and at that rate, i might as well just stick with the hook-grip.

I guess i'm not pulling a big deadlift any time before Christmas. Not in a meet anyways.

CLEAN DEADLIFT
    315x1
    405x1
    495x1 . . . . . (82%)
    585xO okay... this is getting farcical. This is a 5-rep weight.

This was to test a theory on my clean dead actually being stronger than my conventional deadlift... which is absurd, mechanically speaking. Even more absurd... i think i'm right and it is. I couldn't even break the 6 plates, with straps, but the 4 and 500 sets felt easier than the conventional with mix grip. Weird. Also pathetic... exceedingly fucking pathetic.

PRESS
    95x10
    135x4
    165x2
    185x1
    205x1
    225x1
    245x1
    260x1 damn... certainly nothing wrong with upper body power tonight... (96%)
    235x5 (PR)

Okay... might have been a little angry at this point. Forearms were in pain, and even my shoulder was bitching... which is new... but fuck it. I want my big press back. I had 265 tonight, possibly 270. I want that 125kg press. Hell... i want a 130kg press.

INCLINE DB FLYS (deeeeep )
    15x10
    20x8
    25x8
    30x8
    35x8
    40x8
    45x10 (PR)

Wasn't done with the PR's apparently... Did these even deeper than usual... tops ov the DB"s going well below chest level and a pause on the last rep.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Well that was so utterly pointless and weak i didn't even bother squatting after... i didn't want to know how bad that would be. This sucks. Bad. The only good thing to come from this is that my choice has been made for me... hook grip it is. Maybe i can get it up to 650-660 in a months time. Even that might be optimistic... as tonight my forearms were so wrecked i couldn't even do any grip work after... nothing. They are definitely overtrained... hook-gripping 500-675lbs every 2 days for the last 2 months has not been kind to them.

Pretty frustrated... my comp is not looking very possible right now. No money so far, still need to buy equipment. So basically its find $2000 cash this week or call it what it was all along... a decidedly fanciful little dream...

Bodyweight 233lbs today, though was light on the gym scale?
    Last edited by Judas; 10-08-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Nice presses.

You just got to focus on the mixed grip. Do stiff legged that way to. Just pound the shit out of it.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Week 11, day 2... and this one kinda got waylaid by Thanksgiving dinner... and assorted festivities... so i had to do this one at 2:30AM. It was too late to squat, and i needed to squat heavy tonight, and to further persuade me this lovely psychosomatic knee pain (in my other goddamn knee) started nagging me after i got there. Fuck it... just finish up the upper body and leave... that became my goal. No pushes for PR's tonight.

MEAT!!!

LAT PULL
    180x8
    180x8
    240x5
    300x5
    360x5
    405x5
    435x5 (PR) absolute limit...

Should have been easier. I dont like straying out ov my comfort zone on stuff like this. I like leaving reps/weight in the tank. Got to 405 tonight and couldn't in good conscience not go for the PR though...

BENCH ROWS ( with camber bar )
    95x10
    135x5
    155x5
    175x5
    195x5
    155x10

I dont know why these are so god damn hard... But they humble me every time. I must have been cheating the hell out ov these to triple 300lbs on this before. Bicep hurt like a motherfucker doing these too. Cut the effort short.

SKULLKRUSHAH ( to chin )
    35x8
    55x5
    75x5
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5

I haven't been able to do these in almost two years. Not at all. Tonight i thought i'd try a little trick that allowed my to train my bicep back when it was injured... starting ridiculously light... and working up. It worked pretty well, sorta. After 115 my elbow began to hurt though.

PRESS-DOWNS ( Rope )
    60x10
    90x10
    120x10
    150x10 (PR) this was heavy...

Was gonna drop-set but the last rep was a screamer... on a 'light' night. Thats more than enough.

EZ CURLS
    35x10
    55x8
    75x5
    95x5
    115x5

More god damn pain. Tried to work through it, but its acute enough that i cant tell whether thats a good plan or not.

DB SIDE CURLS
    15x10
    20x10
    25x10
    25x10
    25x10

More pain, though i literally refuse to accept that 25lbs could actually hurt me... so take that you whiny bitches.

SIDE DELT RAISES
    20x8
    25x8
    30x8
    30x8
    30x8

Felt like doing a bit more... and i was standing right there. Did these until it started to feel like my rotator was fussing. Lets not court THAT relationship again...

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

In and out in 90 minutes. This was a pretty strained session though... elbow on the skullkrushers, bicep on everything, shoulder on the delt raises. I'm not this unhealthy... so i'm chalking that up to training when i should have been at home watching god damn TV and drinking a nice single malt. Still hit the upper body a bit harder than i've been able to lately though... and i can seeing as i have a normal schedule again... and dont bench again till Thursday. I really should be upset about the staggering laziness in here when it comes to squats... but right now... honestly, its hard to give a fuck.

I'll squat tomorrow, maybe do some pulls if my arms feel better, plus some grip work.

Bodyweight 231lbs today.

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    Nice presses.

You just got to focus on the mixed grip. Do stiff legged that way to. Just pound the shit out of it.
    Nah... if one good thing has happened its that i've realized with certainty that it would take just as long to re-train myself to mixed-grip deadlift again as it would to just build up my hook. I would have to quite literally re-train myself to deadlift with a round back again... something i was EXTREMELY happy to have stopped doing... and that is most assuredly NOT happening in less than 2-3 months.

So hook it is. Hook grip... and very likely a pretty shitty deadlift in a months time... IF i can even get to the comp. Should be looking very good for Nationals in springtime though.

Thanks though... i can see that 275lb press coming up pretty damn quick.

Week 11, day 3... and i think i may be out ov this competition. The money is just not available and as it turns out, my forearms might be injured. Too much too soon i guess. When it gets to the point it hurts to pick up plates to load a barbell i think there just might be a subtle sign in there somewhere...

Anyways... another shitty workout. And that... is the real kick in the teeth... My power levels have never been higher. My bench is in all-time/all-bodyweight PR territory, my squat is coming back steadily, and my deadlift (when grip isn't a factor) is as strong as its ever been. The fact that i can still crank out PR's in semi-big exercises on an utterly shit strength/energy session, aching everywhere, backs this up. Power is very good right now... but its destroying me to use it.

OLYMPIC und SQVAT und DEADLIFT und GRIP

SNATCH PULLS ( high )
    43x3 (2 sets) all weights in KILOS
    60x3
    75x3
    85x3
    93x3
    102x3
    111x3
    120x1 the hang reps are straining my form tonight...
    130x1
    140x1
    152x1 (PR)
    160x1 (PR)
    (352lbs) . . . . . (107%)
    165x1 not a PR... not high enough, but a good solid 'normal' snatch pull, and ties my best in that

---(30 total reps / 9 over 70% / 5 over 80% / 3 over 90% / 3 over 100%)---

Good power tonight, or rather, exceptional positional strength... which let me snap a bit more weight higher than usual. I've still had better 'pop' on other days. That 165kg 'normal' snatch pull was still well higher than i'd need to get under it. Hips rose a bit faster than bar on last two first pulls though... which cost me power.

BACK SQUAT
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    365x1
    405x1 you know... fuck it. (72%)

Had 435 loaded... and was going to take smaller jumps to a daily max tonight... but the other knee was STILL bitching... which is pissing me right the fuck off... because there is NOTHING wrong with it... and after 315 the hip-flexors started to ache, then the quad started to ache... ugh. Longer rest-intervals didn't help.

BACK SQUAT PARTIALS ( 14th pin )
    435x3
    485x3
    535x3
    585x3
    640x3
    660x5 (PR)

VERY strong partials. PR's dont mean much here... as i'm sure i could walk out, set up with and dip close to a grand to the pins. Kept these VERY rigid and ballistic though... whipped that bar as hard as i could in the bottom and top.

ROMANIAN DEADLIFT ( snatch-grip )
    135x5
    225x5
    315x3
    385x3
    440x3 (PR)

Starting these i was looking for an easy way out tonight, but i always overestimate how hard they're going to be. And again, even on this shit strength/focus night i could have either repped these a lot more, or loaded quite a bit more weight for the triple.

STATIC HOLDS ( HOOK-GRIP )
    135x10 (seconds)
    225x5
    275x3
    325x3
    365x3
    405x3
    455x3
    500x3
    550x3
    600x1... wow... sooooooooo fucking weak. Couldn't even lock this out.

Taped up, and two attempts... just nothing. I've got NOTHING left in these forearms, and thumbs... which have been getting better... just screamed at this weight tonight. I should be around 700lbs by now... not failing at a weight i've held for half a minute before.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Yeah fuck it.

Bodyweight was 232lbs today. Heh.. watch... now that will finally start responding...

Try to lay the grip and DL work off for a bit (a bit MORE than your usual 2 and 1/2 hours), maybe?

Try to lay the grip and DL work off for a bit (a bit MORE than your usual 2 and 1/2 hours), maybe?
    I'm de-loading everything this week. Last minute decision... i might not even do my bench sets. NO grip, NO pulling at all, and possibly NO squatting whatsoever. My hip-flexors have been bitchy lately as well. Just kind ov sick ov training on top ov all that... so maybe a week off will wake up the interest again.