The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

CP's Journey to the next level

I've had a longstanding journal on this site, and decided since this is a big year for me that it was time for a new journal. The journey to the next level pertains to growth both in and out of the gym. This year holds some personal milestones for myself. This fall I will turn 30. In a couple of weeks I begin getting my MBA part time. My career has progressed in the past year and a half and is poised for a big jump this year. In the gym I plan to finally push over 200lbs. Depending on how the next 5-6 months go, I might get my butt back on stage around the time I turn 30. I want to prove to myself that 30 is just another number and you can be in the best shape of your life even though you hit a milestone number. I was planning this anyway, but this past week reinforced it. I went snowboarding with my brother and a number of his friends. They ranged from 29 to 35. I was amazed how fat and out of shape they had gotten. Some of these guys were elite (all-state) athletes in high school,one a D1 athelete, and one nearly an olympic skiier. They were all amazed with the shape I was in. I was appalled by how they looked. Things like that stoke my fire.

I plan on achieving my goals by using a DC training template. Diet will be fairly clean. I am aiming at 4200 calories (~300pro, 500carbs, 110fat) a day to start. During 4Q08 that calorie level allowed me to gain pretty consistently. I will reevaluate as needed. Supplements will be Nitrean (as needed to supplement whole food) and Waxy Maize (pre and post w/o). As well as caffeine or a similar stimulant pre w/o.

I had hit 191 prior to the holidays. New years day I stepped on a scale(not my usual one) and was 182.5. I ate crap all week, but it was less calories than normal. I may be the only person that eats like **** and drops weight during the holidays. I'm sure a good deal of it is water weight and will bounce back one I reintroduce more carbs this week. This is my 2nd DC blast. I learned a lot of lessons during the first blast and cruise (what exercises work for me, rep ranges, etc). My template for this blast is listed below:

Upper A
    DB Bench
    HS Shoulder Press
    Dips
    Pulldowns
    Deadlifts

Lower A
    Cybex Preacher Curls
    Pinwheel Curls
    Leg Press Calf Raise
    Lying Hamstring Curls
    Cybex Squat Press

Upper B
    Smith Incline Bench
    Smith Shoulder Press
    Smith Close Grip Bench
    Chins
    DB Rows

Lower B
    DB Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Standing Calf Raise
    SLDL
    Hoist Leg Press

Upper C
    Cybex Incline Bench
    Cybex Shoulder Press
    Smith Reverse Grip Bench
    Pullovers (either BB or cable – still undecided)
    HS Iso Rows

Lower C
    Incline DB Curls
    Cable Wrist Curls
    Seated Calf Raise
    Seated Ham Curls
    Cybex Z Squat

A few picture to track progress in this journal. These were taken just now. No pump. Obviously pasty. In the leg photo you can see I took a tumble snowboarding and have a nasty bruise around my knee. Don't expect it to play an issue in the gym this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cphafner; 01-04-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looking lean. Time to smash that logbook!!!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

looking solid, cp. best of luck with all your goals this year, brotha. looking forward to seeing you hit 200lbs.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Joey: thanks dude. I don't feel lean, but thats normal for me!

RBB: Thanks man. I am looking forward to seeing 200. It will be a cool accomplishment.

DC Upper A:

DB Bench: 105*17 RP (+1 rep)

HS Shoulder Press: 1p+40ps*17 RP (+1 rep)

Smith Close Grip: 215*16 (+1 rep)

Pulldowns: 180*18 RP (same reps...)
    ->must have missed a workout in my log. Didn't realize I did this weight last time for 18 reps.

Deads: 315*8

Video

Diet Meal short. Slept until 11am. Still catching up on sleep from a week of partying.

Meal 1: Bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel
    Meal 2: 2 scoops nitrean, 2 cups milk, 1 cup oats, 1 tbsp evoo
    Meal 3: 1 serving results, 2 scoops nitrean
    Meal 4: 2 scoops nitrean, 1/2 cup waxy maize
    Meal 5: 6oz burger, 1 slice cheese, yams (75g carbs)
    Meal 6: 2 scoops nitrean, 1 tbsp evoo

3,497 cals
    93g fat
    389g carbs
    274g pro

Notes: Weight was 187.6. So I already popped back up 5lbs due to water weight gain. Just what I expected. This workout should have been tomorrow. I normally follow M/W/F. My mom's 60th bday is Wednesday, so this week I will do Sun/Tues/Thurs. Next week back to usual days. Strength was decent. I kept all the pressing and back width at the weight from my final workouts of my blast. Deads I bumped. All exercises are a tad over the rep ranges, so I will bump everything a tad next week. Haven't run my diet yet today.

The new years resolutioners were out in full force tonight. Gym was packed at 6pm on a Sunday. Tons of people getting tours. Sucks. Two stick legs were doing tag team bench of 225-245. 6in ROM and the spotter doing as much pulling as the bencher was pushing. Annoying thing was both had pretty good genetics and upper bodies (well chest and arms) but legs that looked like they might snap under the weight of their upper bodies. Some people we doing **** that baffled my mind. I had my hat on today and just looked down. Some smoking hottie in there tonight. Caught her looking at me a few times. Most guys in the DB areas were doing 30-50s. When I grabbed the 105's she gave me a look. I then banged them out. She had a great rack and pretty firm body. I should have put down the weights and banged her out. I was racking my bar for deads in the power rack. There is really no other place to do it. Some big black dude came over and asked how many sets I had left. He said he wanted to squat. I put the bar on the ground back from the rack so we could both workout. He went up to 405*10 on squats. He was coming down to a bench. He was slamming the bench kind of hard and then popping up. Not the best form, but still was big and moving some weight. Nice guy too. He was talking to himself under his breath. Saying light weight. 10 reps. Gotta get it. Good to see some intensity in the gym instead of the normal pansies.
    Last edited by cphafner; 01-04-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Only the best for the best, awesome seeing you take everything to the next level!!

Deads looked really good. It looks like you might have over extended a tad at the top of the last couple. Be careful of that. I've found that to be a little more ROM than my back prefers. Looks like the back is holding up really good though. Your form through the lift is great.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Coke: Thanks man! Always too kind.

Will: Someone said that in the thread in members pics. My last workout partner said the same. I'll try and correct it. Do you stop basically when you get to perpendicular with the floor? I think I do it because I am really trying to swing my hips thru.

Core/Stretching: Pullthrus, roman chair leg raise, foam roller core work, rolling, stretching.

Diet:
    Meal 1: 2 cups milk, 2 scoops nitrean, 1 cup oats, 1 tbsp evoo
    Meal 2: 2 scoops nitrean, 1 packet oatmeal, 1 cup green tea
    Meal 3: 6oz burger, 1 slice cheese, 1/2 can yams, 1 cup green tea
    Meal 4: 1 serving results, 2 scoops nitrean
    Meal 5: 2 scoops nitrean, 1/2 cup malto
    Meal 6: 8 oz roast,mashed sweet taters, 1 cup green tea
    Meal 7: 2 scoops nitrean, 1 tbsp evoo

4,152 cals
    109g fat
    423g carbs
    376g pro

Notes: F'in new years resolution crowd filled the gym. I was planning on doing cardio, but everything was filled with out of shape clowns. So just did some stretching and core work. Diet calories were on. I was a bit high on protein and low on carbs, but no biggie.
    My Journal

DC Lower A:
    Cybex Preacher Curl: 110*16 RP (+10lb, -4reps)
    ->this was tough, but will go up 5lbs

Pinwheels: 50*10 SS (+5lb, -5 rep)
    ->not the strictest set. Arms were real tired after preachers

Standing Calf: 240*12 SS (+20lb)
    ->this weight was perfect. Set took more than 4 agonizing minutes. Up a bit next time.

Lying Leg Curl: 135*12 RP (+5lb, -3 reps)
    ->another real hard set

Hoist Leg Press: 5p+10*12 (+20, +2 reps), 4p+10*22 (+20lb, +2 reps)

Notes: Weight was 187.5. Gym still packed. Tons of new doucebags. Couple new cute girls. Nothing to drool over. Diet was good. Basically the same as yesterday expect another packet of oatmeal with meal 3 and 1.5 scoops of nitrean instead of 2 in meals 4,5, and 7.

Start grad school tomorrow night. Forgot I have schools on Wednesdays. I guess my workouts will have to remain Sun, tues, and thurs.
    My Journal

CP we are on the same schedule now. For the standing calf raises, it is cool to RP those things. Probably want a 20-30 RP rep range. Doing the 15 second negative becomes quite the b****. This is a new blast, so don't worry about what you did last workout from the blast before. Just focus on progressing on this blast. Start high in the rep range and try to add weight. After a few blasts look over everything and if you see you have progressed. 10 pounds in an exercise in 3 blasts or soemthing like that, then it is time to drop it. Good work on the leg press.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    CP we are on the same schedule now. For the standing calf raises, it is cool to RP those things. Probably want a 20-30 RP rep range. Doing the 15 second negative becomes quite the b****. This is a new blast, so don't worry about what you did last workout from the blast before. Just focus on progressing on this blast. Start high in the rep range and try to add weight. After a few blasts look over everything and if you see you have progressed. 10 pounds in an exercise in 3 blasts or soemthing like that, then it is time to drop it. Good work on the leg press.
    Thanks for the tips. I love the stretch on the calves, but I can see it hard to keep making gains. Once things start to slow down I will make the switch to RP. Thanks for the tips on the new blast. I finally found a good explanation on IM. Took a ton of searching. I tried to hit the top end of the rep range. Did what they suggested and dropped the weights a bit from the last blast.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/33048-w...ighlight=blast

HS Chest Press: 2pps+10*16 RP

Smith Military Press: 185*16 RP

Dips: +80*17 RP

V-grip Pulldowns: 170*20 RP
    ->decided to do these this blast instead of chins. Think these will be easier to make progress on. Too light.

HS Iso Rows: 4pps*12 SS

Diet: Same as Monday. Just over 4200 cals.

Notes: Weight back up to 189. My gym seems to have gained many more gay guys. Today was easily 50/50. I thought 2 guys were going to get whiplash their heads turned so quickly when I walked by. I guess that is the downside of NYC gyms. Not really any new cute girls, which really isn't fair! Decent workout. Very tired today. Only got 5 hours of sleep last night due to grad school kicking off. Professor of my 6pm class didn't show on the first day. What kind of crap is that?
    My Journal

Banned
    You should try my gym CP, sure it doesnt have all ameneties of a big Manhattan gym (having to be crammed into a small storefront on a busy Brooklyn street), and its full of people whose first language was not english, but at least the dbs will go high enough for you lol.

And where do you work out, the Village? I once walked past a hardcore gym in downtown Manhattan/Chelsea, and it was advertising towards gays, forget the message, just that it had F--- in it.

OMG a new journal!!!!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Gym atmosphere doesn't sound like the greatest but you're keeping focused and on track.

Exactly what I was talking about with that post CP. Good stuff.

Just get under the bar!

Sid: Yeah it was time for a change! Glad you found new one. I don't everyone has.

Coke: It's terrible. I am exploring other options. The cute girl at the gym told me about a location right down the road that is better. Even said the instructor of her class there has a killer lean build with a Jessica Alba butt. Told her I would check the gym and her teacher out.

Joey: Glad to hear. I tried sticking in the higher range again in this last workout.

DC Lower B:
    DB Curls: 45*17 RP

Hammer: 50*10 SS
    ->these were too heavy. Will back off to 45's next time to get higher in rep range. Just barely got the lower end of the range.

Seated Calf: 60*12
    ->lowered the weight, but still tough

Seated Leg Curl: 140*23 RP
    ->could have gone a little lighter to get higher in the range (20-30). I'll stick here next time and try to get out an extra couple reps then look to increase the weight the following time.

V Squats: 4pp+25*8, 3pps+25*17 or 18?
    Video

Video

Notes: Weight was back down to 187.5. Water intake wasn't great, so I'm sure that was the drop. Felt small, weak, and tired during this workout. Worked out in Hoboken. Gym was packed despite this being a Saturday afternoon. Tons of beach muscle types. Saw two ******s wearing black socks over ankle/calves. What is the purpose of this? To keep your ankles/calves warm? I just don't get people some time.
    My Journal

DC Upper C:
    Smith Incline Bench: 215*15 RP

Cybex Shoulder: 110*19 RP

Smith Reverse Grip Bench: 195*20 RP
    ->bit too light. Back was cramping...

EZ Curl Pullovers: bar+50*18 RP

DB Rows: 90*15 SS

Notes: Weight was 187. Diet was F'ed today. Stressful day. Didn't get to eat oatmeal at breakfast. Only ate about half my lunch. Screwed up. Sucked. I was pretty pissed. Felt small and weak again. Just in one of those moods. One more workout in this round. Then I'll start again and crank the weights up a little bit. Have a good deal of strength ready to roll for the next round.
    My Journal

Sucks about the diet being off. Go get some McDs and ramp those calories up, it will make everything even out
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

We all get days like that with the diet or in general...keepin relentless with the efforts CP.

Coke and Sid: Things have been a bit crazy, but I'll get thru it! Thanks for the support.

DC Lower C:
    Incline Curls: 40*19 RP
    ->too light, but meant to be a bit higher on the reps

Cable Wrist Curls: 60*14 SS

SLDL: 185*13 SS
    ->back was really bugging me. Had to do these first while waiting for leg press

Leg Press Calf Raise: 2pps*12 SS
    ->nasty

Squat Press: 5pps*12, 4pps*15
    ->I was exhausted by now. The first set was a bit light, so I pushed it, but it wiped out my energy.

Notes: Weight was 188. While I was getting changed a guy in super short shorts, a camo tank top, and listening to dancing queen came in to the locker room...this is the new type of person at my gym...see why it's hard to get motivated. Going to check out a new location with the blond from work that goes to my usual gym. She said it's good and gets less crowded. They have a pool, so going to check that out too.

Booked a flight to Cali for next weekend. The girl I met over Xmas week wants me to come visit. She has been very persuasive Going to spend a night partying in Hollywood or LA with her and then we are heading down to San Diego to party with my brother. Should be a crazy weekend.
    My Journal

Upper A - Round 2
    DB Bench: 110*12 RP (+5lb, -5 reps)
    ->first set this felt like nothing. Easiest control I ever had with this weight. Could barely start the 2nd set. Couldn't even think of getting out a third set...

HS Shoulder: 2pps*15 RP (+5, - 2 reps)

Smith Close Grip: 225*14 RP (+10lb, -2 reps)

Pulldowns: 190*17 RP (+10lb, -1 rep)

Deads: 335*7 (+20, -1 rep)
    ->brutal. First time the weight has really felt heavy in a while. Didn't want to overpush for rep 8.

Notes: Let's not talk weight today. I must be dehydrated. Went to the Knicks game tonight. Never been before. Holy **** tickets were expensive (free for me). Can't believe people pay that much money. Did cardio at a new location on Friday. Actually looks pretty good. Tons of open cardio. Big room with a ton of hammer strength stuff. And the best part is tons of cute girls. Gonna give it a shot on Tuesday or Thursday.
    My Journal

CP gettin strong!!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Great job man, impressed with the db bench numbers.

Travis: Thanks man. Still a long way to go!

Coke: Thanks. The 110's look huge when my skinny ass holds them, but I should lower them next time.

Cardio: Elliptical - 20 mins on 6 incline @ 4 setting

Diet:
    Meal 1: 2 packets Oatmeal, 2 scoops nitrean, 1 tbps evoo
    Meal 2: 1.5 scoops nitrean, 80g waxy maize
    Meal 3: same as above
    Meal 4: Chipotle burrito (chix, extra rice, salsa, and guac)
    more to follow...

Notes: Weight was 189.2. Surprised by the jump in weight, but good to see it moving again. Going food shopping in a bit. I'll be back over 190 soon enough.
    Last edited by cphafner; 01-19-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    My Journal

DC Lower A:
    DB Curls: 50*16 RP (+5, -1 rep)
    ->heaviest I've ever curled. Really didn't feel heavy.

Hammer Curls: 50*12 SS (same weight, +2 reps)
    ->maybe a tad english on last couple. Refused to have the same reps as last time.

Seated Calf: 65*11 SS
    ->brutal

Seated Leg Curl: 150*13 RP (+15, same reps)
    ->a bit too heavy, really tough. Jumped more than I should have.

Hoist Leg Press: 5pps+25*12 (+30, same reps), 4pps+25*18 (+30, -4 reps)

Diet:
    4,188 cals
    107g fat
    474g carbs
    308g pro

Notes: Weight was 189.5, almost back to 190. Diet was good today. I'm starting to think I should up the protein. I'm 190 now, so if I go by the 2x's rule of thumb I should get up about 80g more. I've been doing more carbs to keep costs down a bit.

Went to the new location today. They didn't have a preacher cybex station. I was shocked by that. That is a norm at most NYSC. Also didn't have a standing calf. Again pretty standard. I moved a couple things up from the next lower body workout. I'll put what I skipped today there. A few big dudes at this gym. Def a better atmosphere. While I was doing leg curls some guy asked one of the other guys for a spot. The potential spotter looked just like Jean Claude Van Damme. It really may have been him. He said no. I was thinking what a jackass. Then I saw this guy do his set. 3 inches of motion and a spotter doing 90% of the work. Now I don't blame the other guy. I was avoiding eye contact best I could to avoid being asked.
    My Journal

Would be super if you could regularly go to Bev Francis gym on Long Island, now that place rocks.
    Last edited by Coke; 01-23-2009 at 06:52 AM.