The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Article about high rep low rep arguments...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-High-R...Fast&id=697601

What do you guys think? It's a short article so read it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I find it curious that you can't find a picture of the guy on the net anywhere. Also, he cites no sources in any of his articles. It all seems like personal opinion to me.

A poor interpretation of an even more poorly performed study. I doubt the author even lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I find it curious that you can't find a picture of the guy on the net anywhere. Also, he cites no sources in any of his articles. It all seems like personal opinion to me.

Re-read the article - He specifically got his info from a study done by the European Journal of Applied Physiology.

No comment on the results.

Banned
    From the article...
    One workout program was made up of multiple sets for high reps and lighter weight (reps were in the 12-15 per set).
    The other workout routine was made up of multiple sets for low reps with heavier weight (reps were in the 8-12 per set).
    8-12 rep sets is not low reps in my book. Low reps means under 5, maybe even 3 and under. I'm surprised there's any difference between doing 12-15 rep sets and 8-12 reps sets, they're both high rep sets in my book.

Another from the article...
    No, size and strength donít go hand in hand, as many would have you believe. Which is a huge reason why most natural bodybuilders / fitness enthusiasts never truly achieve their goals. They get stronger, but not bigger.
    Hmm, maybe it's not true for competitive bodybuilders, but for the average person, IMHO size does equal strength.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 01-06-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    From the article...

8-12 rep sets is not low reps in my book. Low reps means under 5, maybe even 3 and under. I'm surprised there's any difference between doing 12-15 rep sets and 8-12 reps sets, they're both high rep sets in my book.
    +1

What a ridiculous comparison. They should've compared heavy triples with sets of 12-15, adjusting the number of sets to make tonnage equal.

No, size and strength donít go hand in hand, as many would have you believe. Which is a huge reason why most natural bodybuilders / fitness enthusiasts never truly achieve their goals. They get stronger, but not bigger.
    Flat out wrong. (1) Most people spin their wheels for years, never getting stronger, OR bigger. (2) Any "natural bodybuilders / fitness enthusiasts" that aren't growing aren't EATING. They're worried about definition all the time.

this is a stupid article.

Ridiculous article. 8-12 reps isn't 'low reps'. Low reps are 6 or under. No one will grow without food, no matter what routine you do.
    Also do you wanna LOOK like you can pick up a car or do would you rather BE ABLE to pick up a car?
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Ridiculous article.
    Yup.

do you wanna LOOK like you can pick up a car or do would you rather BE ABLE to pick up a car?
    Personally, I want to look like I can pick up the car *AND* be able to. I think I'm getting there.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    as we all know i loathe pseudo-science.

one thing that annoys me more is people who talk with authority having clearly not the slightest idea of what they are reading!

his other articles also advocate more sugar in your diets, cardio is useless for getting rid of body-fat, and that the speed you eat can determine whether you lose or gain weight!

What they found was that the weight trainers that had a harder time gaining weight and muscle had predominantly ACE II genes

....so er... not all then. i suspect there could just be a different link perhaps?

it would appear from this article that mr peraz doesnt realise the structural differences between fibre typing (basic a-level/introductory college physiology) or even how to conclude his own articles. he also shows that strength and muscle size are at odds. it would seem he says all bodybuilders are of the two genotypes mentioned then at the end conclude all should use high reps.

next hell tell us that using cables causes hyperplasia.

or perhaps im just ignorant and should burn every medical book i own and take up lawn bowls and get a job serving coffee (he does claim it helps build muscle after all).

rant transmission: over.

One thing on the speed in which we eat. I haven't searched to find articles on this, but there have been studies done and what they've said is that typically people that eat more slowly tend to stay leaner because they get full more quickly than those that horse down their food. From personal experience, if I eat more slowly (which is typical) I tend to get fuller more quickly and eat less. When I horse down the food, I eat more. Either way, I'm not lean.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    One thing on the speed in which we eat. I haven't searched to find articles on this, but there have been studies done and what they've said is that typically people that eat more slowly tend to stay leaner because they get full more quickly than those that horse down their food. From personal experience, if I eat more slowly (which is typical) I tend to get fuller more quickly and eat less. When I horse down the food, I eat more. Either way, I'm not lean.
    When bulking, sometimes I purposefully go fast if I know I have a bunch of food to eat. If you take it easy, it gets really hard toward the end to pack it all in.

I don't doubt the correlation that fat people tend to eat faster than lean people, but then to conclude that they're fatter because they eat faster is ridiculous.

Not taking shots at you, just the morons that contribute to all the bad science in the field.
    Last edited by Kastro; 01-09-2009 at 12:52 PM.