The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

building a garage gym

Okay so basically my schools "weight training program" is not cutting it. It is composed of a few guys that really push it and the rest stand around and watch and then there is the 3 girls in the class I go to the after school work out session and they make you do what we did in the class, and I really dont get much out of the lifts they have us do.

Well I talked with my parents about it and they said "why dont you look up how much it would be to get a squat bar and rack and some plates and we'll talk again"

Can someone give me some insight on how to go about building a garage gym? Like where to buy from, essentials in a home gym things like that? Any help would be an improvement from were I am now.

Edit*

I'm looking to do things like squatting and power cleans.
    Last edited by Itsnotaboutme; 01-06-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Lifts @ 6'2 235lbs
    Bench: 165/285/330 (11/22/11)
    Squat: 235/405/440 (2/2/12)
    Dead: 270/500/440 (1/26/12)
    Total: 1190 lbs

Where I came from

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Look up craigslist in your area. People are always getting rid of good equipment.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Get a rack, a bench, weights and bars - you can build a platform.

http://www.craigslist.com
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com
    http://www.weightlifterswarehouse.com

if you get everything new expect to spend close to $1500, this depends on how much weight you need and quality of the squat rack. if your going to do it, do it right the first time and buy quality.

i built my garage setup and as of now invested around $2400. I bought chains, bands, 500lb of weight, texas power bar and descent squat rack. The only thing i regret is not spending the extra money and getting an elitefts rack..

Besides the above good ideas, also go around to your local gym owners. Alot of times they have stuff in storage, or know when some equipment becomes available. Gyms go out of business all the time. I have started my own private gym by purchasing used equipment from gyms going under.

Smitty

I have put about 1500-2000 in my gym. I now have a power rack, olympic bench, 1000+lbs of weight, 3 bars, fat bar DB handles, collars/clips, olympic platform, ropes, bands, chains, handles...etc.

I started out with a power rack, bench, and a bar, and gradually added things to it. Check craigslist for deals.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

we bought 300 lbs of weight, a bar, a bench, and a cage for around 600. The cage was well built and the bar lasted me several years before bending. Thats really all you need when you're starting out, maybe some more weights and some mats so you can deadlift.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Make sure you get a good bar and a wide enough bench. A narrow bench is a bitch
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Also do a local search on ebay. Sometimes you can get a good deal and not have to pay shipping
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Banned
    i paid around $800 for my junk which includes
    a used but never used nebula olympic bench
    power rack
    3 bars (1 good, 2 chromed)
    and about 1100-1200lbs of weight.

all from local ads/craiglist/forums

See if there's a Play-it-again-sports around you, the bars I got from there sucked, but I got a bunch of used 45's for a decent price.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

If you're buying plates used from a place like play-it-again, I'd suggest you bring a scale and hand pick the ones that are "really" 45/35/25/10 pounds. I've seen them range from 41-48 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    If you're buying plates used from a place like play-it-again, I'd suggest you bring a scale and hand pick the ones that are "really" 45/35/25/10 pounds. I've seen them range from 41-48 pounds
    I went to a Golds Gym that bought some weight from a Play it again Sports and they were all off. They ended up returning all the weight they bought from them. So I wouldn't really recommend them as a source, maybe equipment but not weights.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    Seriously? Who cares? 3-5 lbs in fluctuation is not going to kill you and unless you start buying certified calibrated plates from places like york, eleiko etc. you'll be hard pressed to find them on the money every time.

Banned
    I'll also second craigslist - I'm picking up a bunch of 45's this afternoon for $15 per plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank82 View Post
    I went to a Golds Gym that bought some weight from a Play it again Sports and they were all off. They ended up returning all the weight they bought from them. So I wouldn't really recommend them as a source, maybe equipment but not weights.
    It's not like they have a standard plate that they sell, it's a big variety of crap that people bring in and trade or sell. Most of the plates there are the same Cap ones they sell at Dick's, but at 1/3 the price. Perfect for a garage gym IMHO.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Seriously? Who cares? 3-5 lbs in fluctuation is not going to kill you and unless you start buying certified calibrated plates from places like york, eleiko etc. you'll be hard pressed to find them on the money every time.
    to compensate for these fluctuations just buy some small chain in 1/2 lb increments, then you can through it on the bar to even out the weight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyo_99 View Post
    to compensate for these fluctuations just buy some small chain in 1/2 lb increments, then you can through it on the bar to even out the weight.
    No, no, no - why do you guys think this much about it??? Put the weight on the bar and lift it - don't weigh your plates, don't buy chain to compensate. Lift the weight and keep adding weight to the bar...

No, no, no - why do you guys think this much about it??? Put the weight on the bar and lift it - don't weigh your plates, don't buy chain to compensate. Lift the weight and keep adding weight to the bar...
    This. Plus you can brag that your maxes are higher than they really are.
    My Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    This. Plus you can brag that your maxes are higher than they really are.
    only if your plates weigh less
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

its the OCD engineer in me, its got to be accurate!

what about just checking out www.powerliftingwatch.com for a local power gym...u might be able to lift there for cheap or free. The gym I joined does not charge me a dime, its out of a garage/basement deal. Best decision I ever made. We are all like family now. That way you an find training partners you can count on, ya know? Might be cheaper than dumping thousands in your own gym...

Lewy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsnotaboutme View Post
    Can someone give me some insight on how to go about building a garage gym? Like where to buy from, essentials in a home gym things like that? Any help would be an improvement from were I am now.
    What you need to get started:

power rack
    barbell + weights
    some kind of floor protection for where the plates sit while deadlifting or if you dump an overhead lift (wood, rubber mats, pieces of heavy carpet, etc.)

What you can live without temporarily:

stand-alone flat bench
    lifting platform (plywood & rubber mats) or rubber bumper plates (for your cleans)

Where to get it?

CRAIGSLIST

If you're patient, you can pick up a rack, bench and barbell set from somebody on craigslist for anywhere from $200-600 eventually.