Thread: Explanation Of "CNS".. ?

Explanation Of "CNS".. ?

I am totally confused on this topic. Everyone seems to talk about CNS stimulation and how it relates to muscle growth etc. I am just completely lost. Can someone explain this to me please?

MS
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 04-06-2002 at 09:36 AM.

The CNS "controls" your muscles. It's what determines what muscle contract, to what degree, how many fibers are activated, and just about everything else related to how muscle works. By training your CNS you can "teach" it to use more muscle fibers, more efficiently, which = more muscle and strength. Along with a bunch of other crap.

You are surely aware, but it is not quite clear from your post:
    CNS = Central Nervous System

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

How can you train your CNS?

MS

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    How can you train your CNS?

MS
    By training to failure.

This is not necessarily a good thing, however(Despite my long-time belief to the contrary.) One of the ideas of HST, for example, is that CNS recover is the rate-limiting factor in muscle growth and should thus be avoided/done infrequently.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Your CNS system is trained to some degree no matter what type of lifting you engage in. But if you want to focus on training your CNS then train with heavy weights, training to failure isn't a requirement.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

All training trains the CNS. But yeah...heavy maximal lifting and/or light submaximal speed training are the most specific for training the CNS.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh boy. On elite you tell me nobody should listen to my ignorant advice and you don't even know what the central nervous system is?? Open a book.

Just had to get that in there.

-Zulu

All training affects the central nervous system. When you first work out you get stronger quickly because at first you CNS isn't very good at firing up your cells.

For example what you are doing as a beginner (I'm not accusing you of being one by the way) is to teach the muscle to contract harder, after all we all know that the body doesn't just go to the trouble of growing more muscle just because us pump merchants feel like it.

Once you get to contract the cells as hard as you can the body then has to make the muscle cells bigger to adapt to the increasing load you are putting on it.

Even if you flex your muscles really hard during an exercise the chances are you'll only be using 40% of your muscle cells at any given time - it's yet another of those big safety margins we've evolved.

However you can overtrain the CNS too. If you are doing too much explosive and very heavy lifting the body will reduce the stimulation you are able to give the muscles to prevent your nervous system from becoming burnt out.

The problem with this is it can take quite a while to get your CNS working optimally again.

Because of all this is that it is important to change your routine frequently to avoid overtaring the CNS.

It makes your workouts more challenging and interesting too.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Hey guys,

Training to faiure is relevant because when your CNS is devleoping a motor program it records the outcome of the activity.

And supposedly training at 80% of your 1RM is enough to keep the heat on the CNS

- later

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

CNS is the Central Nervous System

Now, to say you're training the CNS is really misleading, since you're not training the CNS, but rather the motor-sensory cortex, cerebellum, and parts of the lower brain and spinal cord that are responsible for movement and kinaesthetic feedback.

Neural training essential involves training your motor control systems to improve intermuscular coordination (the entire movement pattern; learning and accomodating to a given exercise is an example) and intramuscular coordination (MU recruitment, rate coding, firing frequency, etc).

The factor most commonly discussed in "CNS training" is intramuscular coordination. The way I was taught to look at it is like this.

Imagine these zeroes represent your pool of available motor units in a muscle.

0 Highest threshold (require highest tension to recruit)
    0 Lowest threshold (slow-twitch endurance fibers)

A submaximal movement is going to largely train the zeroes in the middle. Training to failure with this same weight would cause the recruitment to creep towards the top of the column towards the end of the set. A heavy and/or explosive movement is going to train the zeroes at the top. Speed training increases the amount of zeroes that can be used voluntarily in a lift.

As was said, the nervous system adapts rather quickly when stimulus like this is applied frequently, so neural training techniques have to be used carefully in order to remain effective.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock