The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Trouble "feeling" the leg drive on bench press

After watching that video that was posted on here not too long ago "very informative bench video" or something like that, I started working on my bench form.

Basically, I understand the concept - you retract your shoulder blades, and you get more contact with the bench. You then use your legs to push your traps and upper back (and shoulders) into the bench, and use that extra force to push the bar up.

My problem is that I have trouble really feeling it. I'm used to just pushing the weight up with my arms, and not really incorporating my legs at all (because I never really bothered learning to bench properly).

Now, I'm trying this new form, and I'm getting the arch, and keeping my shoulders and butt on the bench, and I'm keeping my feet on the ground in a position where they would be able to give me maximal leg drive. But I'm still not feeling as if I'm getting any more "force production". In other words, I still feel like I'm just using my arms and chest to push the bar up....

Is this normal when first learning to bench properly? Is there any tips or cues to feel for to know I'm doing it right?

Thanks fellas!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Make sure you tuck your elbows at the bottom and drive with your heels, not toes.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    Make sure you tuck your elbows at the bottom and drive with your heels, not toes.
    This, and make sure to squeeze your glutes.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Ok, I will focus on both of these things today. Thanks for the suggestions.
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Drive ur heels in the ground.

Wannabebig Member
    I think I may have a little more potential on bench after hearing that last part. About tucking your elbows, is it normal that tucking your bows makes it harder to lift your normal weight?

Quote Originally Posted by nick420 View Post
    I think I may have a little more potential on bench after hearing that last part. About tucking your elbows, is it normal that tucking your bows makes it harder to lift your normal weight?
    I find it much harder to lift the same weight with elbows tucked. Probably because i've always flared my elbows out since i started benching. But after a while my elbows started hurting from tricep tendonitis, so I've been really concentrating on tucking the elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    I find it much harder to lift the same weight with elbows tucked. Probably because i've always flared my elbows out since i started benching. But after a while my elbows started hurting from tricep tendonitis, so I've been really concentrating on tucking the elbows.
    If you aren't used to lifting like that it will be harder. Give it awhile though!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

How tall are you? I am kinda short so I place 45lb plates under my feet while benching. Without the plates my feet barely touch the ground, so I can't really get a good push from my lower body.

See post #11. I had trouble at first using leg drive and that post summed it up for me and now I have it down pretty good.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117720
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

THanks guys. Nice link too view!