The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Shoulder Pain from Squatting???

So for a while now I have been having some issues with squatting and shoulder pain. It is not from squatting itself but when I reach back and hold the bar. It is about exactly on top of my shoulder right where your arm meets your torso(the rotator cuff area). This also happens with behind the presses. I have this pain in both shoulders but it is alot worse in my right one. What could be causing this? Anything I could do to make it more fexible so reaching back and grabbing the bar is not as much of a struggle? I have no history of shoulder/rotator cuff injuries.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Sicken; 01-13-2009 at 05:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    The science part of it is simple: eat more than you need, you gain. Eat less than you need, you lose. Lifting directs calorie traffic: Lift heavy while you gain and you'll get bigger muscles. Lift heavy while you lose and you'll KEEP more muscle. Heavy compounds are more effective and more efficient.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I am no expert but I can tell you a few months back I started to experience some serious shoulder pain(rotator cuff area) with weakness after benching. At first I thought it was my benching that was causing the problem but ultimately I figured out it was from squatting. My problem was my form was bad and I was supporting the weight with my arms instead of the weight riding on my shoulders. With my arms pulled back it was putting to much stress on my shoulders when I went heavy which caused me some serious pain. I have since read through Rippetoe's Starting Strength and corrected my problem with where the weight rests in a squat and the pain is subsiding. I still have a little pain after a heavy bench day but I have not lost strength again and the pain is only just a low ache. If this isn't your problem sorry about wasting your time but maybe someone else can gain some insight instead of having serious pain like I went through.

I have the same problem with my right shoulder, but I can pin point a cause. I had shoulder surgery to repair a bankhart lesion with capsular shift. My PT told me to never do shoulder presses behind the neck as this strains the joint immensely. I would suggest internal/ external rotations and checking in with a PT or chiropractor to work on flexibility.

Raw Elite classification in 3 weight classes

raw squat: 380 lbs
    raw bench: 270 lbs
    raw deadlift: 430 lbs
    raw total: 1,080 lbs

Banned
    Have you tried taking a wider grip?

For flexibility, try band dislocates.

Shoulder pain while squatting can stem from several causes but what you are describing to me sounds like it could well be an impingement issue.

I would ice your s houlders a few times a day, and make sure to take your fish oil and ibuprofen.

Warm up your shoulders very well before squatting. I like to do some hangs from a pullup bar and close grip pulldowns with a supinated grip ( a few very light sets of 20, get your head through on both these exercise)

Stretch your pec minor androtator cuff complex. If it is in fact impingement, and you are very irritated, play things by ear because working through it could make things worse.

You can also widen your grip on the bar or try a high bar position.

Even if your problem is not specifically impingment, the above advice may help. Be cautious, pushing through minor shoulder irritation can lead to some longer term problems. If things do not improve or get worse seek professional help.

Wannabebig Member
    I had a labrum problem due to squatting with a really low bar position on sheiko. Just having the bar on my shoulders that much was too much for them. Flexibility was the problem I'm pretty sure. I took some time off, did my rehab exercises every day and the problem has gone completely. I was very close to doing some serious damage I think, so I'm glad I scaled back for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Warm up your shoulders very well before squatting.

I had the same problem not to long ago. Although it is difficult to tell if this will work, I think you should give it a shot. I know warm up very throughly before squats.