The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    5-0-9 Barbell WORLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario.
    Posts
    714

    Argument against p90X!!!

    My friend won't stop trying to convince the world that p90X is the greatest thing to be invented.

    He started as an obese guy who had not lifted a weight before and had terrible eating habits, and ended up losing about 25lbs after he started exercising/eating better.

    He keeps arguing that this program can get anyone "ripped" and that it is superior to any strength training or bodybuilding program.

    I don't personally know much about this program, but I have seen some informercials on tv and it looks stupid.

    My argument: It looks like a good program for someone that is looking to get active. Depending on your goals, it could be a good way to get into shape. BUT it cannot be used to build muscle to the degree that we here like to see.

    I need to shut him up.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

    9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

    August 2008 Progress Pics

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    TJW jed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,714
    p90x is the best workout routine ever created.

    for sallies.

    say that to him, eh?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

  4. #3
    Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NORTHERN Virginia
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by WORLD View Post
    My argument: It looks like a good program for someone that is looking to get active. Depending on your goals, it could be a good way to get into shape. BUT it cannot be used to build muscle to the degree that we here like to see.
    That's why he's not here. You're better than him, so his opinion doesn't matter.
    Last edited by whiteman90909; 01-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.

  5. #4
    Zeebo. Southern Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Trussville, AL
    Posts
    1,735
    Well, I've seen the P90X videos and I don't think they're bad at all. It's a lot better to sell someone P90X than a f**kin' Ab-Rocket or some bogus pills.

    Your friend going around saying it's the best program ever is silly. But is it a bad program? Not at all, atleast in my opinion. I've done every workout imaginable, trained for baseball and football, cut and bulked, and seen a lot of crap. P90X isn't crap, but it's not a miracle either.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

    "Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

    "It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

  6. #5
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    Well, I've seen the P90X videos and I don't think they're bad at all. It's a lot better to sell someone P90X than a f**kin' Ab-Rocket or some bogus pills.

    Your friend going around saying it's the best program ever is silly. But is it a bad program? Not at all, atleast in my opinion. I've done every workout imaginable, trained for baseball and football, cut and bulked, and seen a lot of crap. P90X isn't crap, but it's not a miracle either.
    Amen brother ...P90X isnt a bodybuilding routine but is a good system . It gives you a workout , changes it up and keeps it interesting .

    The arguement could be made that it will get you in better shape than a bodybuilding routine because it focuses on every muscle group for fitness .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,903
    P90X is a very solid program that does exactly what it was designed to. Help sedentary and out of shape people get into a regimented workout system.

    I think its a great thing for the people its intended for..

  8. #7
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,609
    It's not going to get you huge, but it can put some muscle on your bones if you haven't weight-trained before. I think it's a decent program - it's kind of a watered-down crossfit. I've seen the booklets and they have some pretty regimented exercise and diet guidelines. I think most people can get pretty lean following that program.

  9. #8
    Senior Member BilltheButcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,477
    Become a huge mass monster and walk into the room. Argument over.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,152
    All the videos show guys with 30 lb dumbbells.

    A key selling point is that one light set of dumbbells is "all you need!"

    Case closed.

  11. #10
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,405
    its basically peridolized circuit training dsigned to get people active, and off there ases, hardly nyhing ground breaking but people can do it at home, ive seen people get resuts with it, it wont make yo huge, but if ur looking to lean down or get in shape its fairly solid
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  12. #11
    Hmmmm..... Spiderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Near the bay...
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WORLD View Post
    My friend won't stop trying to convince the world that p90X is the greatest thing to be invented.

    He started as an obese guy who had not lifted a weight before and had terrible eating habits, and ended up losing about 25lbs after he started exercising/eating better.

    He keeps arguing that this program can get anyone "ripped" and that it is superior to any strength training or bodybuilding program.

    I don't personally know much about this program, but I have seen some informercials on tv and it looks stupid.

    My argument: It looks like a good program for someone that is looking to get active. Depending on your goals, it could be a good way to get into shape. BUT it cannot be used to build muscle to the degree that we here like to see.

    I need to shut him up.
    It sounds like you're being very closed minded. There are other fitness programs that work then just regular old bodybuilding/powerlifting.

    It's not a crap program. As the others said, it's designed to help sedentary people become active and put fitness into their lives. It helped my younger brother loose 60 lbs in 6 months flat. Hell, 22.5 of that was in the first THREE WEEKS!

    If your friend thinks that P90X is awesome and it is working for him, the best thing you can do as his friend is support him in his efforts. At this point, it doesn't seem as if you're being a good friend, b/c all you're trying to do is prove him wrong. You're acting quite egotistical... If you don't know about the program, as you say you don't, then don't tell him it's wrong.

    Be a good friend, and support him in his weight loss efforts and attempts to improve his health.
    Last edited by Spiderman; 01-15-2009 at 01:31 PM.

    "Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

  13. #12
    Canucks Fan Hockey66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,670
    Let him do his P90X, I'd be a lot more intent on changing his views on diet.
    Age: 18
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

  14. #13
    Banned Tofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    █♣█
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawl View Post
    Amen brother ...P90X isnt a bodybuilding routine but is a good system . It gives you a workout , changes it up and keeps it interesting .

    The arguement could be made that it will get you in better shape than a bodybuilding routine because it focuses on every muscle group for fitness .
    /thread

  15. #14
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    P90X is a very solid program that does exactly what it was designed to. Help sedentary and out of shape people get into a regimented workout system.

    I think its a great thing for the people its intended for..
    Well said.
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  16. #15
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,769
    It's easily the best fitness product on TV--by a large margin, too.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  17. #16
    5-0-9 Barbell WORLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario.
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    It sounds like you're being very closed minded. There are other fitness programs that work then just regular old bodybuilding/powerlifting.

    It's not a crap program. As the others said, it's designed to help sedentary people become active and put fitness into their lives. It helped my younger brother loose 60 lbs in 6 months flat. Hell, 22.5 of that was in the first THREE WEEKS!

    If your friend thinks that P90X is awesome and it is working for him, the best thing you can do as his friend is support him in his efforts. At this point, it doesn't seem as if you're being a good friend, b/c all you're trying to do is prove him wrong. You're acting quite egotistical... If you don't know about the program, as you say you don't, then don't tell him it's wrong.

    Be a good friend, and support him in his weight loss efforts and attempts to improve his health.

    You jumped to conclusions. I do support him. In fact, I was the person to help him get started and motivate him to change his life.

    I never said its a bad program. If you read my argument in my original post I clearly say that it is a good program for someone who is looking to get active and get in shape, meaning that it's a program directed at him. What I am trying to get through to him is that it isn't a program made for everyone. Most of us here aim for maximal muscle gain. Tell me, could I achieve that using p90x? I can bet my money it would only get me so far. This is what I'm arguing against.

    Have I cleared this up?
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

    9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

    August 2008 Progress Pics

  18. #17
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,886
    Yes, you're right. I think everybody miss-read your post. Ask him where the increased resistance is coming from if all you do is body weight workouts and maybe some crap with 20lb dumbbells. It's a great program for getting into shape, but you're definitely not gonna build much mass off it.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  19. #18
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Please say why you can't gain muscle on it? I challenge you to do it for one week. It will kick your butt. I am changing my routine up and doing it for a 3 month cycle and then go back to my normal weight training regime. It adds alot of similiar weight routines. Yes, they do small weights but you have to think about why. The trainer mentions he lifts normally with 90 pounds on one of his exercises. However, if people saw him dropping 90 pounds, they would mimic. He is trying to emphasize FORM which is the most important aspect. You use your body weight for alot like pullups but as for any routine, you can increase your intensity.

    For example, You do several types of pullups. If it becomes easy, add on some weight. You do several types of pushups. Have someone sit on you. You do A TON of squats in this program, some deadlifts, and use weights for the majority of your muscle groups. On biceps, you do a combination of hammers and normal curls. Too easy? Add weight.

    No matter what program you do, you need to increase your intensity and stack on the weight in GOOD form. Is it the best program? No. But it works and many people just don't understand what is involved in TOTAL body fitness. You dont know how many times I see people at the gym do this everytime.

    Day 1 - Benches, curls, dips.
    Day 2 - lunges, low low weight squats, 500 reps of aps.
    Repeat.

    So I think with any program, it is how you utilize it and pack it on with weights. I make sure my ass is spent after each workout.

    I will admit Yoga is pretty gay tho lol.

  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    140
    i got the dvd and it does look kinda tough. i thought it might come in handy when i decide to start cutting and losing some fat. but yoga? uh no.

    the diet plan looks rough. they would have you eating all these small meals with granola bars and small servings of tuna. i would starve to death on that.
    Last edited by matt08; 01-27-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    6'4"
    266 lbs.(w/adamantium bonded bones)

  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,152
    People mistake "being tired" or "wore out" for progress.

  22. #21
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,762
    Quote Originally Posted by matt08 View Post
    but yoga? uh no.
    Why not? Because it bumps your heart rate by a good bit and increases flexibility?
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  23. #22
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by jay24k View Post
    Please say why you can't gain muscle on it?

    [...]

    low low weight squats
    I think you just answered your own question.

    An untrained individual can gain muscle on the program. Most people on this site would end up burning muscle.

  24. #23
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,944
    i've heard that the px90 workout is actually very difficult and takes a strong minded person to stick with it, assuming we are talking about the target audience. people have different goals so why not have a variety of programs.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  25. #24
    Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NORTHERN Virginia
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Why not? Because it bumps your heart rate by a good bit and increases flexibility?
    I thought I was reading something about yoga increasing core flexibility, which can be problematic in lifts where you're trying to stay tight. That may have been pilates though...

  26. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by jay24k View Post
    I will admit Yoga is pretty gay tho lol.
    I may risk losing my man card on this one, but if you have ever actually done a real yoga workout you will see that stuff is very difficult if you haven't done it before.

    Is it beneficial to PLers? Probably not, but its not something I would sign myself up for on a whim because i think it would be 'easy' to do.
    Last edited by Reko; 01-28-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. p90x
    By parabellum in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
  2. P90x
    By Jon6591 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
  3. Who is winning this argument?
    By Saturday Fever in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 10:01 AM
  4. Thread on Logical Argument and Common Fallacies
    By JohnCollins in forum General Chat
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 05:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •