The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar

Help with strongman routine without access to equipment

Hey guys wanting to start moving more towards strongman training but there are no Strongman Gym's near me and i cant drive. I compiled this routine as its all i can come up with for now to help so any input/suggestions would be vastly appreciated as i'm new to strongman stuff. I know bench isn't really required but wanna keep it in for some future powerlifing meets.

Workout A

Squat
    DL/Zercher Deadlft
    Bench

Workout B

Walkout (Kind of a Yoke simultion, will help with getting me used to the weights)/Farmers Walk
    Log Clean & Press/Military Press
    Row/Power Clean

All lifts use Wendlers 5/3/1 rep scheme(or distance/time with the farmers walk obviously).
    Alternate workouts over Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Cheers guys.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Looks ok to me - go get some field stones or sandbags so that you can get used to moving with weights. The biggest mistake in strongman that most strong people make is that they get strong as an ox but fail to take some time to get used to moving under weights.
    Last edited by Ben Moore; 01-15-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Go try and find a good welder in your area. Then you can take pictures to them and have them fabricate things for cheap. In addition, you would be surprised how far a trip to your local hardware store, some ingenuity, and tools can take you.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    You said that you dont have any implements but your second workout includes a log and farmers walk... Do you mean farmers with dumbells? They are good grip training but a very different movement from doing them with plate loaded handles or cylinders.

As for overall gym training I would do a mix of powerlifting, olympic lifting, and endurance training.

Maybe have one day for heavy lower body work where you squat / deadlift / front squat and another day with some light lower body work where you add in power cleans and sled drags. Upper body can be one day for strict pressing such as bench or standing militarys and another day for explosive pressing such as push jerks along with triceps accesory work.

I wrote up a couple of routines that are in the articles section on here.

As Ben and Geoff suggested there are some pretty simple implements that you can make. An axle bar is great for building grip and doing clean and press as well as deadlifts and can be made from schedule 40 or schedule 80 piping, a sandbag can mimick a stone and be used for front carries as well, and a tire sled can be put together for under $25.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Do you mean farmers with dumbells? They are good grip training but a very different movement from doing them with plate loaded handles or cylinders.
    How are they different?

The farmer's handles require a lot more stabilizing than dumbbells do because the weight is distributed farther from where you grip it. I have found that it is much easier to do farmer's walks with dumbbells than with farmer's handles as if you get out of control with the latter, they will swing all over the place.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsherman View Post
    The farmer's handles require a lot more stabilizing than dumbbells do because the weight is distributed farther from where you grip it. I have found that it is much easier to do farmer's walks with dumbbells than with farmer's handles as if you get out of control with the latter, they will swing all over the place.
    But at the same time - farmers are easier to go up in weight. The dumbells will want to roll out of your hand whereas the farmers handle is offset from the actual bar.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Yes, exactly. Farmers handles were designed to be carried and are longer so they require more stability. Dumbells are balanced and will require more grip strength to keep them from rolling out of your hands (crushing grip or pinch grip vs. supporting grip?)

Farmers walks with dumbells are better than not doing anything but I would not use them as my only way to prepare for a farmers walk with strongman implements.

You can do weighted hangs from a fixed bar like a chin up bar, this is supporting strength and will help your farmers walk.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

BBQ BEBES!
    Don't bother with walkouts with a bar, they do absolutely nothing for yoke stability. Your best bet for yoke stability in my honest opinion is to do heavy abs while standing (with a cable or other device) and some type of heavy oblique activator whether it be side bends or otherwise. I just started doing overhead toe touches, where you hold a dumbbell or kettlebell overhead and keep your eyes on it, bend over and touch your toe, involves a crazy amount of core power as well as hip flexibility. I'm not the best yoker ever, but I've done it less than a year, and I can cruise pretty quickly with 800 and can do 850-870 slowly for about 50 feet. Using a frame or hexbar and walking with it (slowly as too big a step and you'll be running into it) will help you slightly more with your farmers than using dumbbells, as its harder to balance since you can't swing it around you like dumbbells and you can stack more weight using more grip and core strength. Zerchers are a great thing to do, so you already got that going for you. Ok, also, sandbags are cheap, so are seabags, get seabags from military surplus store or online, fill it with concrete or sand, and use it as a loading impliment, pick it up, walk with it, load it on top of stuff, all sorts of cool things. When you fill it, use 50 lb incriments, by using two trash bags and filling them with the sand or crete. Then placing them in the seabag, tie off and or ziptie the excess seabag you aren't using. Not quite as good as a stone, but sandbags are still used alot in strongman, and its better than nothing at all. You can also load river rocks, small engine blocks,.........large engine blocks.........entire cars onto things for extra stuff to do.

;p

Wannabebig Member WhateverItTakes's Avatar
    Lifting natural stones would be a decent way to simulate atlas stones. Sand bags are great.