Thread: Track Sprinter Diet

Wannabebig Member

Track Sprinter Diet

I was wondering if anybody could help me with a diet for a track and field sprinter that runs the 100m dash and the 200m dash. I need to cut some fat off for sure and put on some lean muscle. I really need a good diet for this. I am about 5'10 and weigh 165, I would want to try and get down to 155, and put on muscle. Any posts will be helpful.

Can you post up what your diet is like right now and what kind of training you are doing? This will make it easier for me to design an effective plan for you...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    well, my current diet right now is basically anything, usually a pretty healthy homemade dinner, no breakfast, and a hot lunch from school.

As for my work outs
    monday-
    300m sprintx4
    w/ a 2.5 jog inbetween each one
    squats 5x5

wednesay
    200m sprintx3
    150m sprintx3
    100m sprintx3
    w/1min jog, 1 min walk inbetween each sprint of each set

Friday-
    80m sprintx4
    60m sprintx4
    40m sprintx4

I hear deadlifts are important for sprinting.

As for diet, if you really want to lose weight you have to eat less. There's no magic diet for a sprinter, but any diet for an athlete should have a good amount of protein, carbs, and healthy fats.
    Last edited by Notorious; 01-20-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by platnumballer32 View Post
    I was wondering if anybody could help me with a diet for a track and field sprinter that runs the 100m dash and the 200m dash. I need to cut some fat off for sure and put on some lean muscle. I really need a good diet for this. I am about 5'10 and weigh 165, I would want to try and get down to 155, and put on muscle. Any posts will be helpful.
    Plat,

Sprinters are very lean, muscular athletes. That in part due to their sprint training program.

A sprinter's traning program is interval training. Interval traning is a metabolic program. That meaning you metabolism stays elevated long after your workout is over. Thus, you continue to burn body fat long after your workout is over. With that said, a good sprint program will keep you lean.

At 5'10'/165 lbs, I doubt you have much body fat to lose. I guarantee, that if you drop down to 155 lbs, will not only decrease you body fat but your muscle mass, as well. That means your performance is going to suffer. You sprint times are going to decrease.

A good diet combined with a good training program will allow you to add muscle while decreasing body fat. Adding muscle for a sprinter is like putting a bigger engine in you "race car".

Rather than losing weight, focus on adding more weight...muscle weight. Putting a bigger engine in your race car.

One of the most critical feeding times for an athlete is that prior to and after their workout. Providing the right nutrients at this time is one of the key elements of building muscle mass, decreasing body fat levels and increasing your recovery time.

Nutrient Timing timing is the best book I've seen that provide you with a step by step plan for doing this. The book is a quick, easy read. You can get a used copy of the book for about $10 at amazon.com

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 01-21-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    I hear deadlifts are important for sprinting.
    Good point. Deadlifts build power out of the hole, coming off the line.

Research also shows that Olympic pulls are one of the most effective power movements for a sprinter as well.

Kenny Croxdale

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the advice, but I am about 17percent body fat, and would like to get down to around 10-12. I just need help with what to eat and what not to eat and when to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by platnumballer32 View Post
    thanks for the advice, but I am about 17percent body fat, and would like to get down to around 10-12. I just need help with what to eat and what not to eat and when to eat it.
    Plat,

What makes you think that you are 17% body fat? Very few individuals are knowledgeable enough to meaure someone body fat percentage. Also, bioelectircal impedance devices are very inaccurate.

Bioelectrical impedances devices tend to be more sensitive to upper or lower body readings. That means a Tanita scale that you stand on tends to be more sensitive to body fat levels in your lower body, your legs. Thus, if you store more body fat in your lower body, you will get a higher over all body fat percentage reading.

An Omron bioelectrical impedance hand held device is more sensitive to upper body fat percentages. If you store more body fat in your upper body, your over all body fat pecentage will appear to be higher than it really is.

The reverse is true, as well If your body fat percentage is lower in your lower body, a Tanita scale will indicate that your a lower over all percentage than is true. Same with the Omron hand held bioelectrical impedance

If you are 17% at 165 lbs, that means you have 28.05 lbs of body fat.

To drop down to 12% body fat at 155, that means you would be at 18.6 lbs body fat.

Thus, you are going to have to drop 9.45 lbs of fat (28.05 - 18.6 = 9.45) WITHOUT decreasing any muscle mass.

You are going to lose some muscle mass with your weight loss. That is going to translate into slow sprint times.

With a good diet, workout program and proper rest, you can maintain you 165 lbs body weight and increase your muscle mass while decrease you body fat percentage.

Some great information on how to do this is "G-Flux Redux
    An Interview with John Berardi, Ph.D."
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...flux_redux&cr=

Kenny Croxdale

you dont need to be tiny to be fast, bro. a sprinter from my state won the open 1 and he was 6'3 225. also a kid from our school ran a 10.96 open 1 and he was 190. so dont worry about losing weight. just eat clean and lift, and you should gain muscle and even yourself out.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW