Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What age does the majority of young men stop growing?

Wannabebig Member

What age does the majority of young men stop growing?

I am 19 years old, turning 20 in May. I am 6'7 and half and I would really like to stop growing. For the record, I am also white lol. I believe my dad stopped growing when he was 19-20 and my mom stopped growing when she was 17. My dad is 6'2 and a half and my mom is 5'11. Last year I was 6'6 165lbs and now I am 6'7 and a half 186lbs. My dad told me that since I started to put on muscle, that's a good sign I am most likely done growing. What do you guys think?

21-22 really. Men are very variable.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    21-22 really. Men are very variable.
    Yeah but shouldn't you base it off your parents and not a general rule of thumb? It is all about genetics.
    Last edited by cichlidfort; 01-18-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling

I think you should stop worrying about it and eat a lot. You're almost 6'8 and you're under 200 pounds? That's just awful.
    Roll Tide.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    I think you should stop worrying about it and eat a lot. You're almost 6'8 and you're under 200 pounds? That's just awful.

It's genetics man. I eat a lot and workout consistently. It was a lot worse when I was 6'6 165lbs lol. At least I took some iniative and started working out and gained 20lbs so far. But thanks for the feedback.

Don't worry about it, cause there's not a thing you can do about it.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Don't worry about it, cause there's not a thing you can do about it.
    haha yeah I know. I'm sure glad that I am not short. Not to mention it gives me a big frame for me to put on a lot of muscle when my metabolism slows down.

I know peepingtomcrip btw. He's just messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlidfort View Post
    It's genetics man. I eat a lot and workout consistently. It was a lot worse when I was 6'6 165lbs lol. At least I took some iniative and started working out and gained 20lbs so far. But thanks for the feedback.
    Eat more.
    Roll Tide.

******ed advice
    Ok. Can you please provide your average daily food intake?
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    Ok dude, that was useful

Between 3000-3500 calories a day. I just go sick recently and that decreased my metabolism but it's building back up again.
    About as useful as you breathing right now. Since you know the ins and outs of your body and metabolism, why don't you just let us know when you come up with the answer?

I'm gonna go ahead and second the "eat more" post. Also, don't be a smartass to that post because it was the best advice given in this entire thread. If you're a 6'8 man, then trust me, you're going to be needing to eat a lot and take some supplements.
    HEIGHT: 5'9 1/2
    WEIGHT: 176
    BENCH MAX: 255
    SQUAT MAX: 445
    POWER CLEAN MAX: 205
    PUSH PRESS MAX: 205
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=120619
    My journal.

Between 3000-3500 calories a day. I just go sick recently and that decreased my metabolism but it's building back up again.
    Ok. So your 6'8 186 pounds. You gained 20 pounds in the past year on 3000-3500 calories.

What are your goals? To get as strong as possible? To improve your performance in a sport? If you want to get as strong as possible I would say that you need to be at least 350. If you are an athlete then at least 250.
    Roll Tide.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok. So your 6'8 186 pounds. You gained 20 pounds in the past year on 3000-3500 calories.

What are your goals? To get as strong as possible? To improve your performance in a sport? If you want to get as strong as possible I would say that you need to be at least 350. If you are an athlete then at least 250.
    At least you're being helpful. I appreciate it.

With my genetics, I don't think it would be possible to get even close to 300. I have been skinny my entire life. I would like to one day get around 225 though. I usually take small steps at a time. For instance, I'll try to gain 5 lbs within two months and once I achieved that I'll set another small goal.

Reko, if you're going to be a complete jackass, just please leave my thread. I don't need that.

Well if you don't think you can gain the weight you never will. Honestly just eat more. Don't be one of those guys who makes everything much harder than it needs to be because "ZOMG my abz are sooo hawt." You can't flex bone. Try bumping it up to 5000 calories/day.
    Roll Tide.

Wannabebig Member
    Well if you don't think you can gain the weight you never will. Honestly just eat more. Don't be one of those guys who makes everything much harder than it needs to be because "ZOMG my abz are sooo hawt." You can't flex bone. Try bumping it up to 5000 calories/day.
    You think after some time I would begin to see some differences if I increased it to that much?

yeah you might need to start eating 4500-5000 cals a day
    lots of ways to make it easier to get all those cals
    i'm a big promoter of milk
    4 liters a day of semi-skimmed milk gives 2000 cals and 140 grams of protein (depending on brand).... spacing out 8, 500ml glasses through the days makes it easy.

you could even pm 'BigTallOx' on this board... he's 6 foot 8... used to be skinny.... and now weighs 305lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    yeah you might need to start eating 4500-5000 cals a day
    lots of ways to make it easier to get all those cals
    i'm a big promoter of milk
    4 liters a day of semi-skimmed milk gives 2000 cals and 140 grams of protein (depending on brand).... spacing out 8, 500ml glasses through the days makes it easy.

you could even pm 'BigTallOx' on this board... he's 6 foot 8... used to be skinny.... and now weighs 305lbs

I don't want to to weigh nearly that much. Being 225 lbs at my age would look good. Plus I know the ladies would like. Damn that is a lot of milk...that's got to cost some money over time lol

I don't want to to weigh nearly that much. Being 225 lbs at my age would look good. Plus I know the ladies would like. Damn that is a lot of milk...that's got to cost some money over time lol
    Thank you and good night.
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    At least you're being helpful. I appreciate it.

With my genetics, I don't think it would be possible to get even close to 300. I have been skinny my entire life. I would like to one day get around 225 though. I usually take small steps at a time. For instance, I'll try to gain 5 lbs within two months and once I achieved that I'll set another small goal.

Reko, if you're going to be a complete jackass, just please leave my thread. I don't need that.
    That's ok. I need some entertainment. I think I'll stay a while.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you and good night.
    Um...ok?

Banned
    Then you obviously have no life if you have nothing better to do.
    Yea, its a good thing the internet doesn't go away when I take my eyes off it. Thankfully you keep posting so when I come back there is always fresh material!

At at 6'8 and 225 you wont look good at all. And 3500 calories really is NOTHING at all. I am 5'11 and 190 and I eat more than you... that says a lot. At 4-5k calories a day you should be packing the pounds a lot easier.

And don't blame genetics for gods sake... grow some balls please. Genetics is the reason why you may be thin but it's not the reason why you can't gain weight. I'm sure you have heard this expression before but there is no such thing as a hard gainer, only an under eater. If you were eating 6-7k calories at your height and weight per day and not gaining weight I would be suspicious of other factors but right now only 3.5k? If your gaining at 3.5k than you must have a freakin slow metabolism and/or look like an Ethiopian. I am not trying to be a dick but rather put things in perspective. You think your eating a lot but really, your barely scratching the surface.

milks not that expensive... but if that amount of milk is out of ur budget theres plenty of threads on there about cheap bulking foods.
    and you may not want to reach 300 lbs... but my point was if your not gonna take the good advice everyone is giving you in this thread... theres people on this board that are your height and have successfully bulked and they may be able to shine more light on how many cals a 6 foot 8 man needs to look like a man.
    off the top of my head I'd say try eating 4500 cals a day, 200 grams of protein, and 3 days a week lift heavy weights (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press etc)... and see where that takes u.

My dad told me that since I started to put on muscle, that's a good sign I am most likely done growing. What do you guys think?
    I don't think the fact that you are gaining muscle has anything to do with you growing more or not. But most men do stop growing around 21. Even if you grow past 21, I highly doubt it will be more than an inch or so. You are 6'7" and 1/2, I bet you won't get taller than 6'8". So don't worry. And don't wish to stop growing, I am 5'7" and I wish I can be at least 5'10".

What you should wish for is gaining more muscle, since that is something you can control directly. 186lbs is way too light for someone your height.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    I don't think the fact that you are gaining muscle has anything to do with you growing more or not. But most men do stop growing around 21. Even if you grow past 21, I highly doubt it will be more than an inch or so. You are 6'7" and 1/2, I bet you won't get taller than 6'8". So don't worry. And don't wish to stop growing, I am 5'7" and I wish I can be at least 5'10".

What you should wish for is gaining more muscle, since that is something you can control directly. 186lbs is way too light for someone your height.

Thanks guys I appreciate. And naw you guys weren't being dicks.

Alright, I am going to increase my calorie intake and I will see where that takes me. I'll raise it to 4000 for now and I'll increase depending on what 4000 does for me.