Thread: Whats a good Body Fat % to lose a week or month?

Whats a good Body Fat % to lose a week or month?

I started at 30% BF and lost 2% very fast and lost 6 lbs. (1 week)

Now I have been lifting 3 more weeks and have fluctuated 2-3 lbs each week. but my Body fat has only went down 2%.

Is this normal or should I take a different look at my diet?

I always heard you lose a lot of water weight (about 10lbs) but I have never gotten to that point. Last time I went on a diet I lost 15lbs in 2 weeks doing nothing at all. Just eating healthy. I do take creatine and drink around 1 gal of water a day so I am not sure if that would effect it.

I was thinking I would lose a ton of BF and weight quickly (20lbs i was guessing) before I hit a plateau.

Im eating under my maintenance (300-500 cals, im working hard, I run atleast .5 miles a day. I try for atleast a mile.

I went from eating taco bell and doing nothing to eating a piece of chicken and working out. Good news im losing BF per my scale but sometimes it doesn't work correct and says im at 40% BF so sometimes I wonder if its working correctly.

How are you discerning bodyfat from water? It is possible but it takes a keen eye with one who has lost weight many times. There are some cues to look for but really 90% of the time most people can't tell the difference, though they vehemetly believe they can.

For your first question -- that's somewhat dependent on how much bodyfat you have. Its much easier to drop a few percent at 30% than it is to drop a half percent at 6%. In general I would .5% a week and 2% a month is pretty average on a quality regime.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    How are you discerning bodyfat from water? It is possible but it takes a keen eye with one who has lost weight many times. There are some cues to look for but really 90% of the time most people can't tell the difference, though they vehemetly believe they can.

For your first question -- that's somewhat dependent on how much bodyfat you have. Its much easier to drop a few percent at 30% than it is to drop a half percent at 6%. In general I would .5% a week and 2% a month is pretty average on a quality regime.
    Im just guessing on losing the water. I read the first 10lbs is water weight. Which really if I was just running I could have lost 10lbs of a weight but since im lifting I would have gained muscle which makes me feel like I only lost 6lbs of fat/water. (hope that makes since)

Im only track with the .5% a week. I fluctuate a little so I may wait and do my weight only ever 2 weeks.

I wouldn't check bodyfat that often and certainly not if you are over 20%.

Just aim for a modest weight loss amount per week (1-2 lbs) and keep an eye on the mirror and get rechecked after 8 or so weeks.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by ffkjj View Post
    Good news im losing BF per my scale but sometimes it doesn't work correct and says im at 40% BF so sometimes I wonder if its working correctly.
    Don't ever check your bodyfat on a scale. It won't be accurate at all.
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Quote Originally Posted by K.Huget View Post
    Don't ever check your bodyfat on a scale. It won't be accurate at all.
    What should I use? Calipers?

Don't worry so much about it, watch the mirror. You're your own worst critic and see yourself everday. If you pay attention you should be able to see the minute changes (for better or worse) long before anybody else or any caliper.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-09-2010 at 12:41 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Don't worry so much about it, watch the mirror. You're your own worst critic and see yourself everday. You see the minute changes (for better or worse) long before anybody else.
    That is true and I can see some changes, but I am not sure if my gut is changing lol

I was trying to watch it because I lost 6 lbs and stalled. I can tell im getting stronger, but I would think I would lose fat faster then I gain muscle.

Im going to give it until after new years and see how I look

You definetly lose fat quicker than build muscle. If you're losing weight and see yourself changing then you're doing good. You may not see your gut change right away. Typically its lost last in males. It is interesting to watch over time how your body is drawing from fat from different locations.

You definetly lose fat quicker than build muscle. If you're losing weight and see yourself changing then you're doing good. You may not see your gut change right away. Typically its lost last in males. It is interesting to watch over time how your body is drawing from fat from different locations.
    I noticed I lost most of it from my legs already. I can see the definition in my calfs already. I also notice some definition in my arms. My arms have never had definition before so it is kind of cool, but its very minimal.

Im not losing weight is the thing. I went from 217 down to 209 and today I was 212. I weight myself at the same time every week. Right after working out before I jump in the shower.

That is still in the realm of normal fluctuations. Though you would be better served to weigh yourself daily not weekly and first thing in the morning (but post bathroom) each day. Over a week or two you'll start to see how your weight fluctuates up and down (even when you're losing weight). Somebody who says "I lost 5lbs" is almost comical to me. I regularly see a 2-2.5lb variation from any given day to another, and 5 is not uncommon. That's like claiming you lost a half of a pound in 30 seconds because you took a wizz. Its very important to watch it consistently, it won't take long to get a feel for your true weight and if its climing, falling, or stagnate.

That is still in the realm of normal fluctuations. Though you would be better served to weigh yourself daily not weekly and first thing in the morning (but post bathroom) each day. Over a week or two you'll start to see how your weight fluctuates up and down (even when you're losing weight). Somebody who says "I lost 5lbs" is almost comical to me. I regularly see a 2-2.5lb variation from any given day to another, and 5 is not uncommon. That's like claiming you lost a half of a pound in 30 seconds because you took a wizz. Its very important to watch it consistently, it won't take long to get a feel for your true weight and if its climing, falling, or stagnate.
    Thanks I will start checking it out and see if I find a pattern and hopefulyl its going down