The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Chin ups again (Palms facing me)...

K umm wheres ur traps? And also WHY CANT I DO A FREAKING CHIN UP!!!(palms facing me)! Ive been lifting since umm... December and i can curl 80 pounds about for my max (Streight bar 45 lbs.) Now ive heard so many things.... First im telling u they work my biceps alot! And i feel my stomach (which has fat on it) I feel it get really tight. I heard that if u can curl half ur body weight u can do chinups. But i dont belive that because my Weak friend can do like 10 of them and he weighs a 150 lbs. Now i know he can't curl 75 pounds... So what can i do to be able to do chinups? It would be so kewl to be able to do them. What kind of reps does everyone do with them and do u use weights? How many sets? Is there a way to train like i dunno using a chair or something....Suggestions please!

-Justin

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

relative strength my friend, i dunno what to do, one day i could just do them and that was that. can you do pushups?
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Well lol it depends... Yes i can put on the ground not on with the handles... but the thing is i dunt think pullups have to to with ur pecs like pushups do.
    -Justin

Well, if you go to a gym, you can use the assisted chins machine, (if they have one) that will definately help you, and eventually you'll be able to do regular chins without assistance. Otherwise, I would say just do other lifts that will increase your upper body strength(bi's and back). Rows, pullovers, dumbell curls. Eventually you'll be able to do them.

Well if i just keep trying to do them i figure that will build strenght to until i can finally do it....I hope :-)

Well if i just keep trying to do them i figure that will build strenght to until i can finally do it....I hope

Well if i just keep trying to do them i figure that will build strength until i can finally do it....I hope :-)

lol i didnt do that i dont think

lol, wow a triple post. thats cool. Yeh just keep trying to do them, try to pull a couple out, have someone give you a boost if you get stuck. You'll get stronger quick, chins are great.

start with negatives. you'll be able to do them in no time.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    chins are more your back.. start with weight assisted chins, till you can do several, drop the assisted weight down some, do it till you can get more, then keep dropping it till you can do your bodyweight for a couple. You'll only be able to do a few at once, but it'll snowball eventually, don't worry

Ok ready like overnight it happened i wake up this moring and Wha la! I can do a chin up. Not in a row and i when i start out im not hanging from the bar im standing, but should i just keep doing them from the standing position until i can finally do it from a fully extenden postion hanging from the bar?

repost from when i asked this
    http://www.testosterone.net/html/100back.html

Follow the negatives recommendation. I used to be able to do 1 or two pullups (palms facing), now I do 3 sets of 8. :-D

Wannabebig New Member
    ive always been terrible at pullups.... even when i was in the marines and was forced to do them all the time... id recommend using the assisted chinup machine at your gym, it has helped me tremendously, just gradually lower the assistance weight until you can jam out on your own
    Veni Vidi Vici

Wow....

So u really went froim 1 to 24 just from doing what that article says. How many in times a week do u do them? How long did it take u befroe can actually do a Chin up with good form? I hope this works :-)

Re: Wow....

Originally posted by Footballguy
    So u really went froim 1 to 24 just from doing what that article says. How many in times a week do u do them? How long did it take u befroe can actually do a Chin up with good form? I hope this works :-)
    I have honestly been doing them about 7-10 times a week. In the AM before I go to work, and also before bed - its in a doorway of the house I go through all the time, so its always handy

My form is pretty good - I dont cheat - full up and full down, and just go until I cant anymore. It works.

Keep in mind, I am a 210 pounder too

chin ups are easy. just start on a lat pull down machine and work your way up in poundage. remember you cant judge your strength on what you cant do, but by what you can do.

I dont know about that i do really go on a lat pull down and u know if u look at that link Chrislehr had posted it pretty much tells me what i need to do its alot easier to work up on then i thought. Chris was it hard fo u to do the first progression movement the article says for u todo? I can hold it for 30 seconds yet. Is that bad?

So you can do the one, where you SLOOOWWWLY lower yourself over 30 seconds, or are you doing the step method (hold at top for 8 sec, then 1/3 down for 8, then 2/3 down for eight)

Either way, you should be FEELING that..

To quote the article:
    "If you're shaking like you have Parkinson's disease, you'll know that you're doing it right."

ummm...

Well im having trouble lower for the whole 30 seconds. Its going to fast i do it in 15 sec. And yes "I shake like i have parkinsans disease"

Chinups is mainly a back exercise. If you cant perform it, do pulldowns until you can.
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.